PDA

View Full Version : Portland named top city white people like, again

tlongII
02-06-2014, 05:14 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/02/portland_named_top_city_white.html#incart_more_ent ertainment

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width620/img/ent_impact_home/photo/14227878-mmmain.jpg
Having breakfast places was one criteria that ranked Portland as the top city white people like by real estate blog Movoto.

Statistically speaking, Portland is a pretty white place. With a population that's 72 percent white, as of to the 2010 census, it's officially the whitest in the country. We were kindly reminded of that fact this past November when Al Jazeera came to town to report on what it's like to be black in the nation's whitest place.

Now it's real estate blog Movoto's turn to crown Portland the whitest, this time with a less-scientific method of using cultural markers, as determined by blog-turned-book "Stuff White People Like." Relying on its trove of data, Movoto then ranked cities accordingly, with Portland coming out on top.

Running down the list of criteria, it's easy to see how Portland took top honors: bicycle shops, breakfast places, microbreweries, major league soccer teams, theaters, love of marijuana, etc. One begins to wonder if "Stuff White People Like" is really "Stuff About Portland."

The Rose City beat out San Francisco and St. Paul, ranking second and third, respectively. Seattle came in at number six, ranked lower for its love of Ed Hardy and lack of love of wine. Fellow West coast cities Irvine and Glendale also made the list, at numbers five and ten.

TOP 10 CITIES WHITE PEOPLE LIKE (MOVOTO.COM)

1. Portland, OR
2. San Francisco, CA
3. St. Paul, MN
4. Jersey City, NJ
5. Irvine, CA
6. Seattle, WA
7. Washington, D.C.
8. Minneapolis, MN
9. Atlanta, GA
10. Glendale, CA

monosylab1k
02-06-2014, 05:21 PM
went to Portland and Seattle last year and loved everything about that area. I would move there in a heartbeat if my company had an office up there.

DeadlyDynasty
02-06-2014, 05:28 PM
White people like Atlanta that much? Buckhead's nice tbh, but still...

monosylab1k
02-06-2014, 05:32 PM
lol when i think of Atlanta, "white people" is way down the list. Maybe thats the new spot for Southern hipsters to flock, now that Austin and Athens are completely overrun.

Katherine Robinson
02-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Top guest city in the country.

ChumpDumper
02-06-2014, 05:39 PM
White folk don't live in Atlanta. They live 50 miles away from Atlanta so they can die of exposure during their icy commute.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Where the fuck is Oakland?

DeadlyDynasty
02-06-2014, 07:02 PM
^I hope you're referring to the Pittsburgh suburb

timtonymanu
02-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Moved here in 2010 and I love this city. :tu

AntiChrist
02-06-2014, 07:16 PM
No Detroit?

The Gemini Method
02-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Where the fuck is Oakland?

Ice City reppin!

Rogue
02-06-2014, 07:54 PM
white people like those cities because there're less black people living there, imho.

DPG21920
02-06-2014, 08:32 PM
lol when i think of Atlanta, "white people" is way down the list. Maybe thats the new spot for Southern hipsters to flock, now that Austin and Athens are completely overrun.

Don't Dallas my Austin.

Austin>Your living situation IMO..

monosylab1k
02-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Don't Dallas my Austin.

Austin>Your living situation IMO..

Austin is so stuffed full of elitist hipster douchebags I much prefer Dallas now. At least our douchebags have the decency to (1) shower regularly, and (2) stay in their own douche zones and not invade and ruin every cool spot the city has to offer.

DPG21920
02-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Nah - I live in Austin and highly disagree..

Staplepuffs27
02-06-2014, 10:50 PM
I live here, am white... can't deal with the terrible drivers. The roads are horribly set up, very confusing.

kobe4life
02-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Shocking ATL would be on that list since its one of the blackest cities ever. I hate white hipsters please stay the fuck out of ATL.

AntiChrist
02-06-2014, 11:11 PM
White progressives apparently like to live amongst like-minded white progressives

http://www.newgeography.com/content/001110-the-white-city

DMC
02-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Go to Portland all the time. Great place. It explains why the Blazers are winning now, city being more white and all.

DMC
02-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Nah - I live in Austin and highly disagree..

So do I and agree with you. There are some, but a lot of those who look that way aren't necessarily like that. I find most downtown people are decent. I don't go to 6th much these days, but when I do it's pretty laid back. Austin is my favorite city and I go all over the US regularly.

monosylab1k
02-06-2014, 11:42 PM
meh, the last few times i visited Austin i felt like I was in Uptown. Maybe Austin has just lost it's appeal and i'm becoming an old man who just wants to relax in the suburbs.

DPG21920
02-06-2014, 11:52 PM
So do I and agree with you. There are some, but a lot of those who look that way aren't necessarily like that. I find most downtown people are decent. I don't go to 6th much these days, but when I do it's pretty laid back. Austin is my favorite city and I go all over the US regularly.

Yup. There are a lot of "hipster looks" with regards to style (and a lot of just flat out hipsters) but not so much that it's an issue no matter where you go. I've only gone to a handful of places where I felt weird, but never been scoffed or anything. It's just an amazing city all things considered and depending on what you like about 100x cooler than Dallas.

meh, the last few times i visited Austin i felt like I was in Uptown. Maybe Austin has just lost it's appeal and i'm becoming an old man who just wants to relax in the suburbs.

That's what it sounds like tbh :lol . I lived in downtown Austin for the first year and loved it. Still live close to downtown, but there are just so many enjoyable things to do in Austin.

DMC
02-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Yup. There are a lot of "hipster looks" with regards to style (and a lot of just flat out hipsters) but not so much that it's an issue no matter where you go. I've only gone to a handful of places where I felt weird, but never been scoffed or anything. It's just an amazing city all things considered and depending on what you like about 100x cooler than Dallas.

Oilcan's

lol

The "W" is a weird place, overpriced drinks and hipsters. There are some little bars that are like that, but there are some jazz clubs and such where you can spend hours and never feel "weird" because of the clique.

DPG21920
02-07-2014, 12:16 AM
To be honest, I have only felt weird because of my own thoughts. Never been treated wrong or looked at weird (at least they had the decency not to do it to my face :lol).

So many awesome places to drink, eat and play. Love it here.

DPG21920
02-07-2014, 12:17 AM
I don't mind the W. Overpriced, but for an uppity hotel, they actually have a cool bar and at least try to make it less uppity at times.

I am a Rainey St fan. Love it.

MeloHype
02-07-2014, 12:38 AM
Austin is filled with faggy hipsters

baseline bum
02-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Sorry tlong, if I'm going to Oregon it's gotta be to Bend.

The Gemini Method
02-07-2014, 02:30 AM
Irvine, CA is more yellow than white...so I guess it's white by default.

monosylab1k
02-07-2014, 02:38 AM
To be honest, I have only felt weird because of my own thoughts. Never been treated wrong or looked at weird (at least they had the decency not to do it to my face :lol).

So many awesome places to drink, eat and play. Love it here.

If you live in Austin and fit in perfectly...

http://miamicomedyfest.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/image_32701771.jpg

Robz4000
02-07-2014, 04:14 AM
Sorry tlong, if I'm going to Oregon it's gotta be to Bend.

Bend is the shit tbh. Almost moved there a couple years ago.

Portland isn't bad, but like Seattle it rains a bit much. Also as someone said, the roads and freeways are horribly set up.

Rogue
02-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Austin is so stuffed full of elitist hipster douchebags I much prefer Dallas now. At least our douchebags have the decency to (1) shower regularly, and (2) stay in their own douche zones and not invade and ruin every cool spot the city has to offer.
But your douchebags are generally one foot something taller than those of Austin on average, which instantly makes Austin the better place for DPG to live in tbh.

Bill_Brasky
02-07-2014, 12:15 PM
I love Austin but if we don't get a couple more major highways built(not fag ass tollways that nobody wants to use) this city is gonna be a complete mess in a few years.

ChumpDumper
02-07-2014, 02:18 PM
I love Austin but if we don't get a couple more major highways built(not fag ass tollways that nobody wants to use) this city is gonna be a complete mess in a few years.It is a complete mess now.

lol restriping Mopac

ginobili's bald spot
02-07-2014, 03:34 PM
A couple cities on that list confuse me. Atlanta is like the blackest city in America so wtf? Irvine is nothing but Asians and in Glendale is like 100% Armenian. I didn't even know that was considered white.

The Gemini Method
02-07-2014, 04:03 PM
A couple cities on that list confuse me. Atlanta is like the blackest city in America so wtf? Irvine is nothing but Asians and in Glendale is like 100% Armenian. I didn't even know that was considered white.

No doubt about the ATL--thought that was black central. Irvine is completely Asian (Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese mostly--some Red Dots and Arabs) and Glendale is Mexi-Armenia central. Perhaps they're calling Arms white nowadays.

ChumpDumper
02-07-2014, 04:10 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/12yLMJPuO8fJao/giphy.gif

DeadlyDynasty
02-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Yellowest city I've even been to is San Jose, CA...Charlies everywhere

Rogue
02-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Why Portland named white people's favorite city? Because most white people don't play basketball or any sport, so they don't need to worry about screwing up their knees, imho