PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis named replacement for Kobe in ASG... Duncan snubbed

mute
02-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Earlier today, Anthony Davis of the Pelicans was named Kobe Bryant's replacement in the All-Star game next weekend. This means that Duncan won't be making his 15th All-Star appearance despite putting up 15 pts, 10 boards, and 2+ blocks per game. Duncan's averaging 25.0 ppg, 12 boards, and nearly 4 blocks a game in February. The Spurs are the second seed in the West... and Duncan has been the only one that has been healthy the entire season.

This is an absolute joke... Duncan got robbed here. The NBA is rigged like the WWE. I guess I should have already known this after Game 6 in 2012 when the refs called a technical on Stak5 for looking at the Thunder bench. Are you serious? Not to mention, somehow the New Orleans -- which was owned by David Stern at the time -- ending up with the 1st overall pick. How convenient so that it would make them attractive for a potential buyer...

New Orleans is 6 games under .500... SAS is 3-0 against them this season and Duncan has taken Anthony Davis to school every game. I'm done watching the NBA. There is no way to defend this other than that the league office plays favorites to promote their "brand".

look_at_g_shred
02-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Good! We need Duncan resting.

Kidd K
02-07-2014, 04:39 PM
So the tech in that series tipped you off that series was rigged, but not the 8 obvious goaltends Ibaka got away with in like 2 games? lol. Or the multiple times when the Thunder would get 8 FTAs in like 5 possessions precisely when they needed a run badly in the 4th?

But yeah, I agree that the snub sucks but Davis is good and technically has slightly better stats albeit on a team that isn't doing very well comparatively. It isn't a total surprise tbh. Duncan got in once like 2 years ago over Aldridge when he shouldn't have, so even though it's a lot closer this time, it's sort of understandable. They just stopped giving Duncan the lifetime achievement selection now. Kinda like how they gave Marc Gasol the DPOY last year even though Duncan had better defensive numbers than him in almost every category.

TJastal
02-07-2014, 04:45 PM
NBA all star game is becoming just as much a joke as the NFL.

timtonymanu
02-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Anthony Davis deserves it. Dragic was also snubbed too. Who cares anyway? Perfect time to rest TD

TampaDude
02-07-2014, 04:56 PM

^ this, tbh

cd98
02-07-2014, 05:06 PM
If Duncan didn't get voted by the fans or the coaches, why would he want to be appointed by the commissioner? Seems like I'd rather be voted in or not go if I was him.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Duncan got his pity nod to the ASG a couple of years ago. Time to step aside.

TXstbobcat
02-07-2014, 05:36 PM
I don't care about the all star game. I do care about a healthy rested Timmy for the playoffs.

dallasmaverickslose
02-07-2014, 05:38 PM
For some reason I doubt Timmy cares.

CitizenDwayne
02-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Why would you bitch about this choice?

Spur Bank
02-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Anthony Davis has been one of the best players in the NBA this year, at any position. To say Duncan "got robbed" is ludicrous.

Mikeanaro
02-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Cool, no need to play more Spurs in that fake ass game

CitizenDwayne
02-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Cool, no need to play more Spurs in that fake ass game

When Duncan makes it into the game, it's a "well-deserved honor".

When he doesn't, it's a "fake ass game"

Joyrider
02-07-2014, 06:32 PM
As long as he gets All NBA first or second team, and All NBA Defensive team, that's all that matters.

Harry Callahan
02-07-2014, 06:33 PM
The game is in that sewer of New Orleans so the decision makes sense for the league.

It's a showbiz decision for the NBA, not merit based. It's not that important anyway.

Mikeanaro
02-07-2014, 06:37 PM
When Duncan makes it into the game, it's a "well-deserved honor".

When he doesn't, it's a "fake ass game"
So you saw me saying all star games are an honor? when the hell that happened?
Are you stupid or what? if some user says something doesnt like him, you like to twist his oppinion like you actually know him putting words on his mouth when he clearly never said the opposite you are creating? did you ever see a comment made by my saying I LOVE ASG!? please find it ´cause Im diying.
David Bowie sleeps with a woman, but when he doesnt he likes to screw with men, and thats his well deserved honor according to you, you just said it.

Boomersgold
02-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Isn't Kobe a guard? The only player snubbed here is Goran Dragic.

BillMc
02-07-2014, 06:52 PM
As long as he gets All NBA first or second team, and All NBA Defensive team, that's all that matters.

I agree. The All-Star Game isn't nearly as important.

CitizenDwayne
02-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Are you stupid or what? if some user says something doesnt like him, you like to twist his oppinion like you actually know him putting words on his mouth when he clearly never said the opposite you are creating? did you ever see a comment made by my saying I LOVE ASG!? please find it ´cause Im diying.
David Bowie sleeps with a woman, but when he doesnt he likes to screw with men, and thats his well deserved honor according to you, you just said it.

Settle down, bud. I was referring to people on here in general, not necessarily just you.

Not sure what David Bowie has to do with this discussion, either.

rascal
02-07-2014, 07:13 PM

The question is would you have even posted the ASG is a fake ass game had Duncan made it in? I doubt it

johnpaulwall21
02-07-2014, 07:14 PM
I hate when people say he needs the rest during the all star weekend. Dude would only play 10 minutes at the most. Giving interviews would be the only thing that would have bothered him but for Duncan those would be very few. I bet he enjoys interacting with the other all stars and playing in the actual game itself. I would have picked him over dirk but it is what it is.

Mikeanaro
02-07-2014, 07:17 PM
The question is would you have even posted the ASG is a fake ass game had Duncan made it in? I doubt it
Well then please see my post history you might have a surprise.

Biernutz
02-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Tim has never complained about not making the all star team. It seems he would rather have the time off.
I think we Spurs fans feel they slight Tim and it pisses us off.

Staplepuffs27
02-07-2014, 08:21 PM
I do think Timmy cares, he'll just never show it. Well, he is showing it by putting up huge numbers the last few games in protest. rc buford backs up this theory in a recent article posted here.

Russ
02-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Duncan cares. He has a sense of NBA history more than most players (or coaches for that matter).

This matters for legacy purposes and TD understands his legacy. He cares about it too.

He'll stay silent." Not out of "class" or decorum but out sheer furious pride. He won't let these newby know-nothings (like the grotesque Adam Silver) see that he's pissed.

He'll just show it on the floor.

jimbo
02-07-2014, 10:46 PM
This is all ignoring that Duncan is about as mobile as a log on D.

Anthony Davis has been the best big man this year, Duncan didn't get snubbed. Davis did.

SpursFan86
02-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Davis deserves it...y'all really need to chill out with being such homers. I love Duncan as much as the next Spurs fan, but Davis has had an amazing year as well. Either way someone was going to get snubbed. As someone else pointed out, Duncan has gotten a pity selection in the past when he probably didn't deserve it. This year someone else got selected, and they DID deserve it. No need to bitch about the NBA being rigged lol. We've won more titles than any team not named the Lakers in the past 15 years.

Props to Davis. 1st selection of many more to come.

Johnny RIngo
02-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Parker stole Duncan's spot, not Davis.

SpursFan86
02-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Parker stole Duncan's spot, not Davis.

Also, this. If Duncan should've replaced anyone, it should've been Parker. Duncan has certainly been better than Parker this year.

Spur Bank
02-08-2014, 12:15 AM
This is all ignoring that Duncan is about as mobile as a log on D.
Maybe so, but who cares if he's immobile or even wheelchair-bound as long as he's effective. He's 7th in the league (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/def_rtg_top_10.html) in Defensive Rating. Say what you want about that stat, but if you're 7th, you are VERY VERY good at defense.

apalisoc_9
02-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Both Goran and Davis deserve it more than Timmy..

jimbo
02-08-2014, 12:32 AM
Maybe so, but who cares if he's immobile or even wheelchair-bound as long as he's effective. He's 7th in the league (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/def_rtg_top_10.html) in Defensive Rating. Say what you want about that stat, but if you're 7th, you are VERY VERY good at defense.

He plays on a team with a good defense overall (points and % wise) and gets a lot of rebounds and blocks. That's a huge part of defensive rating. He's been bailed out by Diaw in particular playing some really good D this year. (While also not taking away from Duncan's rebound numbers)

Watch the Duncan/Ayres possessions and watch how quickly everything goes to shit.

tim_duncan_fan
02-08-2014, 01:58 AM
1-13.

We don't deserve any All-Star selections. Maybe things can come together for a championship though.

Probably not.

But they might!

quentin_compson
02-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Maybe Duncan would have deserved it as well, but to say Davis doesn't deserve to be an Allstar this season is ridiculous.

TJastal
02-08-2014, 04:43 AM
He plays on a team with a good defense overall (points and % wise) and gets a lot of rebounds and blocks. That's a huge part of defensive rating. He's been bailed out by Diaw in particular playing some really good D this year. (While also not taking away from Duncan's rebound numbers)

Watch the Duncan/Ayres possessions and watch how quickly everything goes to shit.

But isn't Ayres supposed to be the fastest big the spurs ever had since prime DRob?

:rollin

ThaBigFundamental21
02-08-2014, 02:09 PM

I always find this reasoning for avoiding the ASG comical. Playing 5-10 minutes in an ASG isn't really that strenuous. Lol. Then everyone points to "the rigors of travel." These are pro athletes. I think they can handle sitting on a jet and playing for 10 minutes.

superbigtime
02-08-2014, 02:38 PM
If Timmy doesn't deserve to go to the ASG I don't know the world must be upside down or something.

daslicer
02-08-2014, 02:49 PM
I have seen Davis' numbers they are better then Duncan all across the board. He averages more pts,reb,blks, high fg percentage. It would have been great if Duncan could have gotten in the ASG but its very difficult to argue against Davis.

DeadlyDynasty
02-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Not sure what David Bowie has to do with this discussion, either.
Talk about random:lol

rayjayjohnson
02-08-2014, 11:22 PM
I hate when people say he needs the rest during the all star weekend. Dude would only play 10 minutes at the most. Giving interviews would be the only thing that would have bothered him but for Duncan those would be very few. I bet he enjoys interacting with the other all stars and playing in the actual game itself. I would have picked him over dirk but it is what it is.

Theres heaps of dudes there for him to hit on too

elbamba
02-10-2014, 11:27 AM
The game is in NO so it is natural to want a player to represent the hometown team. Its not like Davis sucks, he is a pretty damn good player. At this point in his career, the only thing making the ASG does for Tim is look better when they announce how may years the player has been an all star. Tim has put next to no effort in the game in his last 5 appearances.

look_at_g_shred
02-10-2014, 12:21 PM
I always find this reasoning for avoiding the ASG comical. Playing 5-10 minutes in an ASG isn't really that strenuous. Lol. Then everyone points to "the rigors of travel." These are pro athletes. I think they can handle sitting on a jet and playing for 10 minutes.
Ok cool.

ThaBigFundamental21
02-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Ok cool.

Clever response. But not really.

DMC
02-10-2014, 03:05 PM
The ASG is to highlight what the NBA has to offer. It's not a reward for the players (from the NBA perspective). Since it's in New Orleans, it's fitting that Anthony Davis, the face the that franchise and the future of the NBA for years to come, be included.

The 15 timers had their moments in the sun.

DMC
02-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Also, this. If Duncan should've replaced anyone, it should've been Parker. Duncan has certainly been better than Parker this year.

Not really. He really struggled in the 1st month or two. Parker has been solid most of the time.

rayray2k8
02-10-2014, 04:02 PM
I honestly don't care if any of them make it or not, in fact I kinda prefer if Tony didn't play at all. These guys are really banged up and could really take some rest over that break. Spurs fans care about 1 thing and only 1 thing.. Getting back to the finals.

SpurSwag
02-10-2014, 09:43 PM
I definitely think TD should have made it, even over parker, but davis deserves to be there. Sure, his team hasn't been great, but it's been to no fault of his own. He's had a fantastic year and really looks to be the best under 23 player to build a franchise around. Were Tim to retire at the end of this season for whatever reason, Davis would be the player I'd want the most to rebuild the franchise around.

I understand though why TD didn't get in. Last year Tim wouldn't have made it if he had an average year by 37 year old standards. In fact, not even a good season would have gotten him in. Voters seemed to be done with him after the year he made it as a life time achievement award, but he just happened to have arguably the greatest season of any 37 year old and was a top 5 player at times last season. Though he's still been very solid this year and in my opinion just at or right around the level he was last year at times, he just isn't having a season that is as incredible / unexpected as last year so it comes off as a disappointment

jARS mEsH sEt
02-10-2014, 10:51 PM
This thread is in the running for worst thread in the history of the universe.

jARS mEsH sEt
02-10-2014, 10:52 PM
One wonders if the OP has ever watched a single NBA game outside of the spurs.