PDA

View Full Version : Is hitting a baseball the hardest thing to do in sports?

Jelly
08-03-2005, 12:56 PM
That's what USA Today thinks. What do you all think?
Here's a link to their top ten list...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm

Jelly
08-03-2005, 01:24 PM
It's a dead link.

But I think hitting a slow pitch softball, so a fast pitch baseball is out of teh question.

Thanks. I fixed the link.

Here's the top ten:

1. Hitting a baseball
2. Race car driving
3. Pole Vaulting
4. Hitting a long straight tee shot
5. Returning a serve
6. Landing a quad (figure skating)
7. Running a marathon
8. Tour de France
9. Saving a penalty kick
10 Downhill skiing at 80mph

Sense
08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks. I fixed the link.

Here's the top ten:

1. Hitting a baseball
2. Race car driving
3. Pole Vaulting
4. Hitting a long straight tee shot
5. Returning a serve
6. Landing a quad (figure skating)
7. Running a marathon
8. Tour de France
9. Saving a penalty kick
10 Downhill skiing at 80mph

I think Saving a penalty kick is the hardest....

Some of the things on this list are sports period..

Clandestino
08-03-2005, 01:27 PM
hitting a baseball is weak..anyone can get lucky and do that.. same as 4, 5, 9 ... the others you have to be a bad as.. well, race car driving, marathonging, pole vaultig,...anyone can do it.. well, is a different story..

duncan_21
08-03-2005, 01:30 PM
I gotta think that if red necks and women can drive race cars that it should be taken off the list.

Jelly
08-03-2005, 01:30 PM
hitting a baseball is weak..anyone can get lucky and do that.. same as 4, 5, 9 ... the others you have to be a bad as.. well, race car driving, marathonging, pole vaultig,...anyone can do it.. well, is a different story..

you can't say hitting a baseball is weak and that anyone can do it. The best players only hit the ball 30% of the time.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-03-2005, 01:32 PM
I think Saving a penalty kick is the hardest....

Some of the things on this list are sports period..

Exactly, and it that case, boxing and other fight sports should be considered. Also, running a triathlon, rally driving (harder than some track car racing events).

And, doing "strange" things counts? Then they should consider scoring an 80 metre direct free kick in soccer, hitting a three pointer from your own court in basketball, a hole in one in golf, scoring a 60 metres penalty kick in rugby, etc...

Clandestino
08-03-2005, 01:32 PM
but anyone can get lucky and hit a baseball..

sa_butta
08-03-2005, 01:34 PM
I would think race car driving is harder than hitting a baseball, unless they are talking hitting off a major leaguer. Then that would be pretty damn hard.

duncan_21
08-03-2005, 01:43 PM
I would think race car driving is harder than hitting a baseball, unless they are talking hitting off a major leaguer. Then that would be pretty damn hard.

Come on 1st thing, have a lot of money to have the fastest car.

Next take a left turn(neckcar) then take another left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn

Jelly
08-03-2005, 01:44 PM

Well, yeah, everything on the list should be considered in context with competing among the world's elite.

Dre_7
08-03-2005, 01:45 PM
If you mess up hitting a baseball, its a strike. If you mess up driving a race car, its a broken neck. Nuff said.

Jelly
08-03-2005, 01:48 PM
If you mess up hitting a baseball, its a strike. If you mess up driving a race car, its a broken neck. Nuff said.

not really Dre_7. That just makes race car driving a lot riskier than baseball, not harder.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-03-2005, 01:48 PM

Next take a left turn(neckcar) then take another left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn

Lol, that is if you drive in those oval circuits like Indianapolis. Rally racing is hard as it gets, taking turns right and left at 130 mph on ice, snow, mud and wet asphalt.

duncan_21
08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Lol, that is if you drive in those oval circuits like Indianapolis. Rally racing is hard as it gets, taking turns right and left at 130 mph on ice, snow, mud and wet asphalt.

Rally racing has got to be up there, NECKCAR isn't. I give much respect to rally racers, not the gap toothed NECKCAR.

Dre_7
08-03-2005, 01:57 PM
not really Dre_7. That just makes race car driving a lot riskier than baseball, not harder.

Well then, we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I think racecar driving is harder than hitting a baseball.

Dre_7
08-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Rally racing has got to be up there, NECKCAR isn't. I give much respect to rally racers, not the gap toothed NECKCAR.

I cant stand racing. I just find it boring and unentertaining. I wouldnt get caught dead watching a race. BUT, even though I cant stand it, I still respect them. So until you actually drive with them, I dont think it is fair for you not to respect them.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-03-2005, 01:59 PM
skiing at 80 mph should be muuuuch higher..

sa_butta
08-03-2005, 02:09 PM

Next take a left turn(neckcar) then take another left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turn then take a left turnTry this with about 25 other cars and going about 200 mph, and I agree Rally Racing is probably more diffucult but I dont respect one more than the other.

atlfan25
08-03-2005, 02:28 PM
but anyone can get lucky and hit a baseball..
they are referring to major league type pitching, you would need a lot more than luck

Sense
08-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Exactly, and it that case, boxing and other fight sports should be considered. Also, running a triathlon, rally driving (harder than some track car racing events).

And, doing "strange" things counts? Then they should consider scoring an 80 metre direct free kick in soccer, hitting a three pointer from your own court in basketball, a hole in one in golf, scoring a 60 metres penalty kick in rugby, etc...

Yeah, You are not going to say what is harder just because of the risk involved in it.

Horry For 3!
08-03-2005, 02:31 PM
they are referring to major league type pitching, you would need a lot more than luck
hahaha Yup with it going 90+ mph, you might as well just stick your bat out there and hope

Sense
08-03-2005, 02:32 PM
hahaha Yup with it going 90+ mph, you might as well just stick your bat out there and hope

So what?

those kinds of pitches usually go the same route, it's from far range..

It's very fuckin clear, hitting an MLB baseball is not hard.

Soccer Goalies have it the hardest.

ObiwanGinobili
08-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I agree with USA today.. hitting a baseball in the big leagues is very hard.. but I wouldn't make it #1.

on my list the top 3 would be:
1. landing a quad
2. saving a penalty kick
3. hitting a baseball

ObiwanGinobili
08-03-2005, 02:38 PM
wait a minute..........

shouldn't
stopping Amare
and
getting Bowen off your ass

be on this list?

SWC Bonfire
08-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I would think one of the harder things in sports would be to attend the events without going broke.

Sense
08-03-2005, 02:41 PM
NBA defense?

It's not as impossible as saving a penalty kick.

atlfan25
08-03-2005, 02:41 PM
So what?

those kinds of pitches usually go the same route, it's from far range..

It's very fuckin clear, hitting an MLB baseball is not hard.

Soccer Goalies have it the hardest.
you have clearly not stepped in the box, same route? for some pitchers maybe however most have a moving fastball
far range? you have but tenths of a second to make up your mind if you will swing

i'd be glad to meet you somewhere and you hit against me, i am not major league caliber but i guarantee you wouldn't hit me

Sense
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
you have clearly not stepped in the box, same route? for some pitchers maybe however most have a moving fastball
far range? you have but tenths of a second to make up your mind if you will swing

i'd be glad to meet you somewhere and you hit against me, i am not major league caliber but i guarantee you wouldn't hit me

A fastball is just what it is, a fastball... reaction takes part, but you know it's somewhere near the box...

Penalty kick is hard, everyone knows that when it comes up 90% of the time it will be a goal, everyone fears it.

How many tenths of a second do you have to Jump for a ball in a penalty kick? It takes one kick to make a difference, not to mention the fact that you have to actually use your whole body to get a ball.

BTW, never try to brag about something online...

Sometimes it's funny.

ObiwanGinobili
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
I would think one of the harder things in sports would be to attend the events without going broke.

:tu

bingo! we have a winner.
I mostly go to games where the tickets were free... either they were given to me or I won them... Since I'll be going into debt on concessions anyway.
I think pro football games are tha absolute most expensive......

atlfan25
08-03-2005, 02:47 PM
A fastball is just what it is, a fastball... reaction takes part, but you know it's somewhere near the box...

like i said, it is clear you have never stepped in a box against someone throwing 90+ with movement.

BTW, never try to brag about something online... i'll do as i please when i see something to be true

SpursWoman
08-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Someone has never had the pleasure of being introduced to a change-up. :lol

They aren't all fastballs, btw. Then maybe it would be pretty easy, but they're not, that's why a batting average over .300 is pretty damn good.

Sense
08-03-2005, 02:52 PM
like i said, it is clear you have never stepped in a box against someone throwing 90+ with movement
I think getting in the MLB is the easiest thing to get into besides the NHL and WNBA.

I've played baseball before, and I think I'd hit a 90+ pitch by you.... :lmao

i'll do as i please when i see something to be true[/QUOTE]

Something to be true...

:lmao

atlfan25
08-03-2005, 02:52 PM
sense, perhaps you could explain how in the allstar game a few years back. curt schilling told arod he was going to throw nothing but fastballs, and couldn't touch it?

one of the best hitters on earth couldn't hit a fastball when he KNEW it was coming.

Sense
08-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Someone has never had the pleasure of being introduced to a change-up. :lol

They aren't all fastballs, btw. Then maybe it would be pretty easy, but they're not, that's why a batting average over .300 is pretty damn good.

I understand this... but it's not as hard as blocking a penalty kick..

Heh, I can imagine it now... percentage of blocking a penalty kick..

.1?

sa_butta
08-03-2005, 02:54 PM
I think the possibilities are endless to what could be
considered harder to do in sports.

Sense
08-03-2005, 02:55 PM
sense, perhaps you could explain how in the allstar game a few years back. curt schilling told arod he was going to throw nothing but fastballs, and couldn't touch it?

one of the best hitters on earth couldn't hit a fastball when he KNEW it was coming.

Try making an argument, why isn't defending a penalty kick hard?

SpursWoman
08-03-2005, 02:56 PM
I understand this... but it's not as hard as blocking a penalty kick..

Heh, I can imagine it now... percentage of blocking a penalty kick..

.1?

Don't say .1 or even near it if you can't back it up....I've seen quite a few blocked and I don't even watch soccer regularly.

I think if anything hockey goalies have it a lot rougher than soccer goalies.

batman2883
08-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Hitting is simple, even if someone is throwing a 90mph fast ball with movement, its hitting the long ball that certain people can't do, and we all know chicks love the long ball.

SpursWoman
08-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Hitting is simple, even if someone is throwing a 90mph fast ball with movement, its hitting the long ball that certain people can't do, and we all know chicks love the long ball.

:makeout :lol :lol

Sense
08-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Don't say .1 or even near it if you can't back it up....I've seen quite a few blocked and I don't even watch soccer regularly.

Are you serious?

sa_butta
08-03-2005, 03:00 PM

I think if anything hockey goalies have it a lot rougher than soccer goalies.maybe rougher but with their big bodies, I would think it would be a little easier to guard a much smaller goal.

Sense
08-03-2005, 03:01 PM
maybe rougher but with their big bodies, I would think it would be a little easier to guard a much smaller goal.

Not to mention they have more gear to protect the goalie, and the fact that it's hockey, did I mention they blocked too many of them a game?

MaNuMaNiAc
08-03-2005, 03:03 PM
I don't get how Marathoning and Tour de France can be behind hitting an f'n baseball!?? Dumb list

sa_butta
08-03-2005, 03:06 PM
or even decathalon, and isnt there
an ironman competition I think that would be some
shit.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-03-2005, 03:06 PM

I've seen quite a few hockey goalies block shots too. Point is it doesn't prove anything. People shouldn't talk about how difficult a sport is unless they are familiar with it.

Jelly
08-03-2005, 03:07 PM
sense,
it's one thing to not like baseball because you think it's boring, but your making an ass of yourself if you're going to sit here and say you can easily hit a 90+ fastball. If it's so easy than why don't you join the major leagues and become a multi-millionaire. Besides, it's not just fastballs, but curveballs, knuckleballs and all other sorts of pitches that you'd need to hit. It is just stupid to say it's easy to hit a baseball. We're not talking about pick-up games with the neighborhood kids. If you are lucky enough to play with the best baseball players in the world, you are going to strike out at least 70% of the time. Recently, an NFL player decided to try baseball and his batting average in MINOR LEAGUES was just 25%. He'd probably never even see the ball coming in the Major leagues. But you just keep talking. We're all impressed.

Sense
08-03-2005, 03:08 PM
I've seen quite a few hockey goalies block shots too. Point is it doesn't prove anything. People shouldn't talk about how difficult a sport is unless they are familiar with it.

Agreed, I mean Hockey Goaliest have Saves as a STAT...

What kind of argument would she make?

Sense
08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
sense,
it's one thing to not like baseball because you think it's boring, but your making an ass of yourself if you're going to sit here and say you can easily hit a 90+ fastball. If it's so easy than why don't you join the major leagues and become a multi-millionaire. Besides, it's not just fastballs, but curveballs, knuckleballs and all other sorts of pitches that you'd need to hit. It is just stupid to say it's easy to hit a baseball. We're not talking about pick-up games with the neighborhood kids. If you are lucky enough to play with the best baseball players in the world, you are going to strike out at least 70% of the time. Recently, an NFL player decided to try baseball and his batting average in MINOR LEAGUES was just 25%. He'd probably never even see the ball coming in the Major leagues. But you just keep talking. We're all impressed.

First of all I never said it was easy, I said fastballs should be, most HRs come off fastballs.

Second of all, I watch baseball.......lots of it. I said it was one of the most boring sports, which it is...that doesn't mean it bores me or that it's not true.

Third of all, It's part of an argument, I'm saying hitting a fastball is easier than blocking a goal.

And sure, I'll keep talking..

Maybe you'll stfu.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
sense,
Jelly, you're making much sense either. If being a soccer goalie was so easy then why doesn't everyone do it and make millions. Now I don't really agree with Sense, 'cause I do believe that hitting a baseball is harder than stoping a penalty kick, but I also don't think hitting a baseball is the hardest, not by a long shot.

ObiwanGinobili
08-03-2005, 03:13 PM
I think making a goal in Hockey is harder then blocking one......
I'd put making a hockey put on par with blocking a soccor penalty kick.

and you guys are right.
Ironman should be #1.

ObiwanGinobili
08-03-2005, 03:14 PM
also: it's my goal in life to be the 1st poster on the new page of every thread.

:lol :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
08-03-2005, 03:15 PM
also: it's my goal in life to be the 1st poster on the new page of every thread.

:lol :lol
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_20.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_33.gif

SpursWoman
08-03-2005, 03:16 PM
What kind of argument would she make?

Because they are on ice and I can't ice skate so it seems harder to me! D'uh! :shootme

I think this list is comparing apples to oranges to grapes to bananas to pears. Like arguing that blocking a penalty shot is harder for a goalie than hitting a baseball is for a professional baseball player?

How do you really compare those two things? I mean shit, at least a soccer goalie can use his whole body!

:lol

Sense
08-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Because they are on ice and I can't ice skate so it seems harder to me! D'uh! :shootme

I think this list is comparing apples to oranges to grapes to bananas to pears. Like arguing that a penalty shot is harder than hitting a baseball?

How do you really compare those two things? I mean shit, at least a soccer goalie can use his whole body!

There's a difference obviously, but you really got it wrong comparing a hookey goalie to a soccer goalie...

Jelly
08-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Jelly, you're making much sense either. If being a soccer goalie was so easy then why doesn't everyone do it and make millions. Now I don't really agree with Sense, 'cause I do believe that hitting a baseball is harder than stoping a penalty kick, but I also don't think hitting a baseball is the hardest, not by a long shot.

I haven't said one thing about being a soccer goalie. I'm sure it's extremely difficult..I'm not the one that made the list and I haven't even said that hitting a baseball is the hardest, I just opened the topic up for debate.
I'm responding to Sense telling Atlas that getting in the MLB is easy, that hitting a fastball is easy, that he knows that he could hit a ball going 90 mph... etc. etc. etc.

SpursWoman
08-03-2005, 03:23 PM
There's a difference obviously, but you really got it wrong comparing a hookey goalie to a soccer goalie...

Oh no, I know ... but my point was that hockey just seems harder to me because I can't skate, and that that is as a ridiculous argument as comparing things that aren't even remotely similar--like baseball and race car driving.

How was this done? By poll? Purely subjective based on the respondant's (usually jaded) perception of each sport, not by scientific fact.

:)

Jelly
08-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I haven't said one thing about being a soccer goalie. I'm sure it's extremely difficult..I'm not the one that made the list and I haven't even said that hitting a baseball is the hardest, I just opened the topic up for debate.
I'm responding to Sense telling Atlas that getting in the MLB is easy, that hitting a fastball is easy, that he knows that he could hit a ball going 90 mph... etc. etc. etc.

also, I don't know that much about soccer, but since the game is so low scoring it seems to me that getting any kind of goal is much harder than stopping one.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-03-2005, 03:28 PM
also, I don't know that much about soccer, but since the game is so low scoring it seems to me that getting any kind of goal is much harder than stopping one.
There aren't meny penalties in a soccer game, and when there is it usually ends being a goal

cherylsteele
08-03-2005, 03:35 PM
If you ask the Spurs....sometimes it is a simple free throw:D

Sense
08-03-2005, 03:42 PM
If you ask the Spurs....sometimes it is a simple free throw:D

Jelly
08-03-2005, 03:44 PM
I think making and you guys are right.
Ironman should be #1.

No. It can't be things like Ironman, or triathlon like others have suggested. those are a combination of several sports. It has to focus on one sport and one thing in particular in that sport. That's why they aren't comparing entire sports like soccer vs. baseball vs. skating, but rather certain functions in that sport such as blocking a penalty, hitting a baseball, landing a quad.

smeagol
08-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Look at MJ. Best b-ball ever but he sucked at baseball.

Does this prove anything?

I don't know. Just wanted to bring it to everybody's attention.

smeagol
08-03-2005, 03:50 PM
No. It can't be things like Ironman, or triathlon like others have suggested. those are a combination of several sports. It has to focus on one sport and one thing in particular in that sport. That's why they aren't comparing entire sports like soccer vs. baseball vs. skating, but rather certain functions in that sport such as blocking a penalty, hitting a baseball, landing a quad.
Triathlon is a sport in itself.

Jelly
08-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Triathlon is a sport in itself.

triathalon is three sports - running, swimming, biking. It just doesn't apply to this type of list.

Jelly
08-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Look at MJ. Best b-ball ever but he sucked at baseball.

Does this prove anything?

I don't know. Just wanted to bring it to everybody's attention.

that's a good point. Michael Jordan - one of the greatest athletes of all time - only managed a .202 batting average in a minor league club. It took him 3 months and 354 at-bats just to get his first home run. But still, if Sense says anyone can hit a baseball....

timvp
08-03-2005, 04:27 PM
No one in this thread would stand a chance of getting a hit off of a major league pitcher. If everyone in this thread got 100 at bats, the combined batting average would be something like .010 (counting me of course :)).

I'm not sure if it's number one in all of sports, but it's the toughest thing to do on that list.

http://www.caribbeanflags.com/images/products/DO/DOJUMFL2.JPG
Except for us.

Jimcs50
08-03-2005, 04:28 PM
I think Rasho would say hitting a FT is the hardest.

Jimcs50
08-03-2005, 04:31 PM
No one in this thread would stand a chance of getting a hit off of a major league pitcher. If everyone in this thread got 100 at bats, the combined batting average would be something like .010 (counting me of course :)).

I'm not sure if it's number one in all of sports, but it's the toughest thing to do on that list.

http://www.caribbeanflags.com/images/products/DO/DOJUMFL2.JPG
Except for us.

I played fast pitch baseball up until 8 yrs ago and I had no problem hitting a fast ball. (80-85mph) The breaking balls, to me, were much harder.

3rdCoast
08-03-2005, 04:55 PM

Penalty kick is hard, everyone knows that when it comes up 90% of the time it will be a goal, everyone fears it.

How many tenths of a second do you have to Jump for a ball in a penalty kick? It takes one kick to make a difference, not to mention the fact that you have to actually use your whole body to get a ball.

BTW, never try to brag about something online...

Sometimes it's funny.

HAHAHA, Ok, lets see how fucking funny it is when you step in the box and stand there for 3 pitches in a row and look like a total moron.

Do not question Atl's ability.

This dude would have led the city in strike outs and possibly set a new single season record for most K's in a season had an injury not occured.

And we are not about some bullshit 4a or 3a teams either.

District 26-5A, The toughest in the fucking region.

So, yea, laugh all you want, but stay home and just know that your ass would not even touch him.

tlongII
08-03-2005, 06:01 PM
I played fast pitch baseball up until 8 yrs ago and I had no problem hitting a fast ball. (80-85mph) The breaking balls, to me, were much harder.

The fastballs in MLB are 90-100 mph. You would have a tough time hitting those...especially after one comes whizzing by your noggin.