PDA

View Full Version : 50 years ago today.....

Avante
02-09-2014, 09:35 PM
...The Beatles showed up on the Ed Sullivan Show,

FYM
02-09-2014, 09:40 PM
And you were celebrating your 20 y/o birthday

Avante
02-09-2014, 10:23 PM
And you were celebrating your 20 y/o birthday

Actually I was in 8th grade and remember it well, all the girls..."isn't Paul cute"...obviously nobody understood just how dynamic Harrison was on guitar.

DeadlyDynasty
02-09-2014, 10:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbKGsEK_T9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwt3yXQEZdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Q9D4dcYng

:cry

Avante
02-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Funny thing is (own all their stuff) I didn't really get just how great they were back when they were together, that came long afterwards.

CuckingFunt
02-09-2014, 11:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MMDugt8ZRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFyDNmpnGv4

xmas1997
02-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Actually I was in 8th grade and remember it well, all the girls..."isn't Paul cute"...obviously nobody understood just how dynamic Harrison was on guitar.

Or how creative and darkly humorous John was.

Funny thing is (own all their stuff) I didn't really get just how great they were back when they were together, that came long afterwards.

I did, and they changed my life. I actually saw them first on the Jack Paar show.

Avante
02-09-2014, 11:27 PM
Or how creative and darkly humorous John was.

I did, and they changed my life. I actually saw them first on the Jack Paar show.

Yes we weren't really prepared for their genius.

How long was their Jack Parr performance before their Ed Sullivan gig?

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 12:22 AM
One song from England. Jack was reporting on the phenomenon known as Beatlemania that was occurring over there because of these guys. No one had any idea then how it would not only sweep this nation, but also the world including the repercussions it would have in bringing freedom back to Russia. Russians were bootlegging their albums into the country at great personal risk. It finally brought down the Wall more so than Reagan's fake space missile defense did.

Avante
02-10-2014, 12:28 AM
One song from England. Jack was reporting on the phenomenon known as Beatlemania that was occurring over there because of these guys. No one had any idea then how it would not only sweep this nation, but also the world including the repercussions it would have in bringing freedom back to Russia. Russians were bootlegging their albums into the country at great personal risk. It finally brought down the Wall more so than Reagan's fake space missile defense did.

I see, well I had no knowledge of them until that Sullivan show.

I have a cassette tape....The Birth of the Beatles...you'd dig, it's them playing in British pubs doing covers of Chuck Berry, Wilbert Harrison, Gene Vincent (others) a few years before they actually became The Beatles, great stuff and they sound so young.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 12:39 AM
I see, well I had no knowledge of them until that Sullivan show.

I have a cassette tape....The Birth of the Beatles...you'd dig, it's them playing in British pubs doing covers of Chuck Berry, Wilbert Harrison, Gene Vincent (others) a few years before they actually became The Beatles, great stuff and they sound so young.

I would probably love it.
I have quite an extensive Beatle Collection myself of albums, DVDs, and CDs, including an original "Butchers" album cover that had to be redone with luggage photos because it assaulted the fragile American sensibilities. And I have both first edition copies of Lennon's books "In His Own Write" and "A Spaniard In The Works", as well as many of the collector plates.

Avante
02-10-2014, 12:42 AM
I would probably love it.
I have quite an extensive Beatle Collection myself of albums, DVDs, and CDs, including an original "Butchers" album cover that had to be redone with luggage photos because it assaulted the fragile American sensibilities. And I have both first edition copies of Lennon's books "In His Own Write" and "A Spaniard In The Works", as well as many of the collector plates.

I can see your a serious fan, cool!

A little trivia....who taught John the harmonica.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 01:13 AM
I can see your a serious fan, cool!

A little trivia....who taught John the harmonica.

I have no idea, I just figured he taught himself, like I did.
John was clearly my favorite Beatle. He was great in "A Hard Days Night".
I even have a DVD called "Best of the Beatles" about what happened to Pete Best the original drummer of the Beatles. Did you know that Pete was a guest on "What's My Line" after he was no longer a Beatle?
Who taught him?

koriwhat
02-10-2014, 01:24 AM
wgaf... those fags weren't a damn thing til they found lsd and even then they're still just pop.

Avante
02-10-2014, 01:29 AM
I have no idea, I just figured he taught himself, like I did.
John was clearly my favorite Beatle. He was great in "A Hard Days Night".
I even have a DVD called "Best of the Beatles" about what happened to Pete Best the original drummer of the Beatles. Did you know that Pete was a guest on "What's My Line" after he was no longer a Beatle?
Who taught him?

Delbert McClinton a Texas country/blues cat hooked up with The Beatles in England, not sure why, John asked him to teach him a few things.

Don't know much about Best.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 01:29 AM
wgaf... those fags weren't a damn thing til they found lsd and even then they're still just pop.

Have you totally lost your mind?
Their earlier albums pre LSD were some of their best tunes IMHO.
But then again Sgt. Peppers was a masterpiece and that was definitely LSD influenced.

Avante
02-10-2014, 01:30 AM

Don't be a total dumb fuck guy, ok? It isn't pretty obvious you are in the minority? How many mega hits did they have?

Fucking kids on computers, sheesh!

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 01:34 AM
Delbert McClinton a Texas country/blues cat hooked up with The Beatles in England, not sure why, John asked him to teach him a few things.

Don't know much about Best.

Wow, Delbert McClinton, too much.
Best was arguably the "beat" behind the Beatles in their early Hamburg days and was such an infectious rocking pounding beat that it got people out of their chairs and on their feet. But it didn't translate well in recordings so he was replaced by Ringo. It caused quite an upsetting stir with their fans when it happened by the way.
If you listen to recordings of those early days you can hear the difference. He was the most popular Beatle too back then. He and Paul were arrested in Hamburg for pranks when George was deported.

Avante
02-10-2014, 01:36 AM
Wow, Delbert McClinton, too much.
Best was arguably the "beat" behind the Beatles in their early Hamburg days and was such an infectious rocking pounding beat that it got people out of their chairs and on their feet. But it didn't translate well in recordings so he was replaced by Ringo. It caused quite an upsetting stir with their fans when it happened by the way.

I can't imagine The Beatles without Ringo Starr.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 01:46 AM
I can't imagine The Beatles without Ringo Starr.

I know, but Pete was a pounder and a rocker and really rocked that band especially known for his drum solos. He even sang a couple of their songs when they did cover material. He was the most popular of the five of them when Paul also played guitar and Stuart Sutcliffe played bass before the brawl that led to Stuarts death.

Avante
02-10-2014, 01:50 AM
I know, but Pete was a pounder and a rocker and really rocked that band especially known for his drum solos. He even sang a couple of their songs when they did cover material. He was the most popular of the five of them when Paul also played guitar and Stuart Sutcliffe played bass before the brawl that led to Stuarts death.

Remember that tape I mentioned that's Best on the drums, yes he was a pounder, not sure about Sutcliffe. Tape is loaned out.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 01:54 AM
Remember that tape I mentioned that's Best on the drums, yes he was a pounder, not sure about Sutcliffe. Tape is loaned out.

Sutcliffe was a mediocre bass player but when they played that much he was definitely in practice. He was always a better artist than musician. But he was Johns best friend. His girlfriend was responsible for the Beatle haircuts.

Buddy Mignon
02-10-2014, 02:29 AM
Best Beatles acoustic cover. Reminds me of James Taylor the way he plays.

gqyg1jD2zQc

Buddy Mignon
02-10-2014, 02:34 AM
Best Beatles vocals cover.

Y7a4QCBodRU

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 02:44 AM
Best Beatles acoustic cover. Reminds me of James Taylor the way he plays.

gqyg1jD2zQc

Best Beatles vocals cover.

Y7a4QCBodRU

Both damn good but I like the Beatles versions better.

Buddy Mignon
02-10-2014, 02:46 AM
Favorite Beatle

s-KAvPbO8JY

0nXDodaqHkM

ZuSuE3iZyVk

Kxr3tV-ieyY

85Smw33PKJA

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 02:50 AM
Favorite Beatle

s-KAvPbO8JY

0nXDodaqHkM

ZuSuE3iZyVk

Kxr3tV-ieyY

85Smw33PKJA

George was great. The Tribute DVD after his death hosted by Eric Clapton featuring George's son was really a great concert.
You owe it to yourself to see it if you haven't.

Buddy Mignon
02-10-2014, 07:42 AM
I'll have to check that out.

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2014, 08:08 AM
I fucking hate this song.

Here come old flattop, he come grooving up slowly
He got joo-joo eyeball, he one holy roller
He got hair down to his knee
Got to be a joker he just do what he please

He wear no shoeshine, he got toe-jam football
He got monkey finger, he shoot coca-cola
He say "I know you, you know me"
One thing I can tell you is you got to be free
Come together right now over me

He bag production, he got walrus gumboot
He got Ono sideboard, he one spinal cracker
He got feet down below his knee
Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease
Come together right now over me

Some asshole would load the jukebox in the high school cafeteria with quarters and play this song over and over and over day after day after day. It was maddening. I finally started just grabbing a honeybun and a DP and going out to the football field to smoke dope.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Any song played over and over like that will drive anyone crazy.
Good song though otherwise.

marini martini
02-10-2014, 01:29 PM
What would it take to have a Beatles re-union?

:lol

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 03:42 PM
What would it take to have a Beatles re-union?

George and John rising from the dead.

DeadlyDynasty
02-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Come Together and Hey Jude (with the 15 minute chorus) are probably my least faves

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Come Together and Hey Jude (with the 15 minute chorus) are probably my least faves

Same here, too long. And my least favorite album is the White Album.

marini martini
02-10-2014, 08:18 PM
George and John rising from the dead.

That's the nice answer! ;)

silverblk mystix
02-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Sounds as fresh today….

rENWV5pqWSA

DJR210
02-10-2014, 10:30 PM
This thread makes me wanna drop some acid.

mrsmaalox
02-10-2014, 11:02 PM
This thread makes me wanna drop some acid.

It makes me wanna drink some warm milk and go to bed :sleep

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 11:41 PM

What?
You don't like the Beatles?

DJR210
02-11-2014, 12:17 AM

No LSD???

DeadlyDynasty
02-11-2014, 12:33 AM
What about milk w/ LSD?

http://chabrieres.pagesperso-orange.fr/clockwork_orange/moloko.jpg

mrsmaalox
02-11-2014, 12:57 AM
Ha, no LSD for me, with or without milk! The Beatles are okay, I'm just not a big fan. I do prefer their earliest work.

Avante
02-11-2014, 04:18 AM
There we sat, there were four of us at the drive-in, on the big screen...Barbarella. We had two tabs of Orange Wedge, we'd already taken a razor blade and made the split back at the park. So with a hot beer(Fisher. all we could afford) as a chaser we all dropped a half a tab. After about a half hour....

Dave..I think we gut ripped off.
Steve...no shit!
me...we should have hit Turk up instead.
Juan...I don't know man, anyone smell oranges?

Then it began to hit. Your legs feel like they weigh a ton, key word.....distortion. You know what things are but they don't look, smell or feel the same. On half a tab that is. We all ended up getting horny over Jane Fonda, we turned the speaker off and listened to a rock radio station. Yep, we did the background vocals, fuck if there actually were any back ground vocals. I remember looking over at Dave (driver) and seeing a turtle looking back (he was wearing a turtleneck sweater), then he grinned, turtles don't grin.

After the show we started getting paranoid, we were out of gas.

koriwhat
02-11-2014, 04:48 AM
Don't be a total dumb fuck guy, ok? It isn't pretty obvious you are in the minority? How many mega hits did they have?

Fucking kids on computers, sheesh!

blah

RD2191
02-11-2014, 05:09 AM
There we sat, there were four of us at the drive-in, on the big screen...Barbarella. We had two tabs of Orange Wedge, we'd already taken a razor blade and made the split back at the park. So with a hot beer(Fisher. all we could afford) as a chaser we all dropped a half a tab. After about a half hour....

Dave..I think we gut ripped off.
Steve...no shit!
me...we should have hit Turk up instead.
Juan...I don't know man, anyone smell oranges?

Then it began to hit. Your legs feel like they weigh a ton, key word.....distortion. You know what things are but they don't look, smell or feel the same. On half a tab that is. We all ended up getting horny over Jane Fonda, we turned the speaker off and listened to a rock radio station. Yep, we did the background vocals, fuck if there actually were any back ground vocals. I remember looking over at Dave (driver) and seeing a turtle looking back (he was wearing a turtleneck sweater), then he grinned, turtles don't grin.

After the show we started getting paranoid, we were out of gas.

rascal
02-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Didn't like Hey Jude at all. Don't know why it was such a huge hit, record of the year 1968. Yellow Submarine is another one I never liked.

The Beatles had some great songs but many sickening ones also that you just got tired hearing .

rascal
02-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Ticket To Ride is a great song.

they had a lot of lesser songs that I liked better than many of their hits. Like I'll Be Back , No Reply, You're Going To Lose That Girl, I Need You, The Night Before, And Your Bird Can Sing, What You're Doing, Run For Your Life.

mrsmaalox
02-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Didn't like Hey Jude at all. Don't know why it was such a huge hit, record of the year 1968. Yellow Submarine is another one I never liked.

The Beatles had some great songs but many sickening ones also that you just got tired hearing .

I agree with all of that. I think Hey Jude made a big hit because because it had the ability to cross generations---the tripped out flower child hippy AND his stuffy WASP parents could both enjoy. That was rare at the time.

Chronologically, my Beatles interest really wanes right after Eleanor Rigby (their best song imho). I don't know why. I love the growly, rockabilly stuff and the super sweet, croony stuff just melts me! :lol

v5_JUi2Q_Rg

That's George singing. They were such bad boys :)

xmas1997
02-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Loved all their early stuff but they lost my interest from the White Album on until grabbing me again with their Abby Road album.

CuckingFunt
02-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Loved all their early stuff but they lost my interest from the White Album on until grabbing me again with their Abby Road album.

The only album released between The White Album and Abbey Road was the soundtrack album for Yellow Submarine.

xmas1997
02-11-2014, 09:10 PM
The only album released between The White Album and Abbey Road was the soundtrack album for Yellow Submarine.

You forgot Let It Be album.

CuckingFunt
02-11-2014, 09:16 PM
You forgot Let It Be album.

No I didn't. Let It Be was released after Abbey Road.

Avante
02-11-2014, 09:25 PM
A buddy of mine came over one day.....

Doug....what is that?
me...Robert Johnson
Doug....wow! How about you let it borrow it to burn and I'll hook you up with something, ok?
me...you're the only guy I'd loan my Robert Johnson CD to. You know what I like so surprise me.

(he looked around at my collection, then...)

Doug...other than Sgt. Peppers you don't have any Beatles (actually had a couple tapes)

me..ok, that'll work.

A few weeks later here comes Doug with my Johnson CD and he'd burned everything the Beatles had ever done (x-Sgt Peppers of course). Yep, didn't cost me a dime.