PDA

View Full Version : David Gilmore (Pink Floyd) fans

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 09:21 AM
You owe it to yourself to see the 2006 David Gilmore DVD "Remember That Night" concerts, it is unbelievably incredible! It features his last release "On An Island" and most Pink Floyd hits.
Guest backup singers Crosby and Nash, as well as David Bowie on last two songs, and Pink Floyd keyboard player Richard Wright who died of cancer in 2008 played on the whole concert.
My favorite DVD by far.
We often talk about the great lead guitarists on this site like Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendricks, Jimmy Paige, and et al, but Gilmore has to be one of the consummate masters of guitar subtlety and sustain without a doubt.

RD2191
02-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Never really could get into Pink Floyd, still might have to check it out.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Gilmore has to be one of the greatest guitarists of our modern age IMHO.

lil'mo
02-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Never really could get into Pink Floyd, still might have to check it out.

That's cause you're a douchbag

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 11:06 AM
That's cause you're a douchbag

Is that really necessary or relevant or contributive to the topic?
The answer is no.
:lol

The Reckoning
02-10-2014, 01:11 PM
how can you not like pink floyd?

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 03:46 PM

I agree totally!

silverblk mystix
02-10-2014, 04:41 PM
You owe it to yourself to see the 2006 David Gilmore DVD "Remember That Night" concerts, it is unbelievably incredible! It features his last release "On An Island" and most Pink Floyd hits.
Guest backup singers Crosby and Nash, as well as David Bowie on last two songs, and Pink Floyd keyboard player Richard Wright who died of cancer in 2008 played on the whole concert.
My favorite DVD by far.
We often talk about the great lead guitarists on this site like Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendricks, Jimmy Paige, and et al, but Gilmore has to be one of the consummate masters of guitar subtlety and sustain without a doubt.

Agreed.

Gilmore is one of the most mature players - playing today. When he solos - he is patient, toneful, tasteful and melodic.

One of my all time favorites.

DeadlyDynasty
02-10-2014, 04:47 PM
This. It's not like Zeppelin where Robert Plant's screeching can get to you after awhile. PF is just chill listening for hours on end

helwardman
02-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Try Gilmour, Hendrix and Page.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Agreed.

Gilmore is one of the most mature players - playing today. When he solos - he is patient, toneful, tasteful and melodic.

One of my all time favorites.

This. It's not like Zeppelin where Robert Plant's screeching can get to you after awhile. PF is just chill listening for hours on end

You guys are right on.
He is a true master.

spurraider21
02-11-2014, 09:05 PM
roberto didn't like Gilmore because he didn't play gospel music tbh

ohmwrecker
02-12-2014, 11:56 AM
I like early, Syd Barrett era Floyd and I think Gilmour is a great guitarist. I kind of outgrew Floyd though. I don't want to sit around for hours listening to Waters whine about his childhood.

benefactor
02-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Not that surprising tbh. If I made a list of ten posters and put robdiaz's name in the mix and said one of these people does not like Pink Floyd I'm pretty sure most people could get it right on the first try.

CuckingFunt
02-12-2014, 01:39 PM

Pretty easily.

I think they're a good band from a technical/talent standpoint, but they've just never grabbed me.

leemajors
02-12-2014, 02:06 PM
I don't care for the post-Waters stuff, the lyrics fell off a cliff.

The Reckoning
02-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Pretty easily.

I think they're a good band from a technical/talent standpoint, but they've just never grabbed me.

they have so many different styles and phases that it's difficult to not be intrigued by at least one point of time in the band. even the pre-gilmour syd barrett era was radically different but good. they're like the musical equivalent to picasso.

The Reckoning
02-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I don't care for the post-Waters stuff, the lyrics fell off a cliff.

agree, but on the turning away is still one of my favorite floyd songs

The Reckoning
02-12-2014, 03:07 PM
and not to be picky but it's spelled gilmour lol

xmas1997
02-12-2014, 04:01 PM
and not to be picky but it's spelled gilmour lol

How right you are, I stand corrected.

By the way, he has one of the most fantastic recoding studios I've ever seen, it's a gorgeous houseboat on the Thames.

CubanSucks
02-12-2014, 06:50 PM
I like early, Syd Barrett era Floyd and I think Gilmour is a great guitarist. I kind of outgrew Floyd though. I don't want to sit around for hours listening to Waters whine about his childhood.

Hours? Really?

Proxy
02-12-2014, 07:20 PM
they have so many different styles and phases that it's difficult to not be intrigued by at least one point of time in the band. even the pre-gilmour syd barrett era was radically different but good. they're like the musical equivalent to picasso.

Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, or Animals? Which is best to go through after in your opinion?

My interests changed away from classic rock before I gave them an honest chance, but been planning on going back through their discography. I know they're one of the bands that's considered to transcend genre labeling anyways.

ohmwrecker
02-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Hours? Really?

PF is just chill listening for hours on end

Try to keep up.

The Reckoning
02-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, or Animals? Which is best to go through after in your opinion?

My interests changed away from classic rock before I gave them an honest chance, but been planning on going back through their discography. I know they're one of the bands that's considered to transcend genre labeling anyways.

i prefer meddle because echoes is their second best epic track after shine on you crazy diamond. it also has more of that dark side of the moon feel.

obscured by clouds is a great track. it has some great instrumentals and a jazzy, wah wah twist. the instruments are more raw than their later style. stay is my favorite song on it imo. it's probably a good place to start when getting into floyd.

animals is really meaty and isn't a good place to start if you're new to floyd tbh. i get the whole animal farm story that goes on with it, but in my opinion it has too much of that roger waters storytelling input to it for a casual listener.

Proxy
02-12-2014, 07:42 PM
i prefer meddle because echoes is their second best epic track after shine on you crazy diamond. it also has more of that dark side of the moon feel.

obscured by clouds is a great track. it has some great instrumentals and a jazzy, wah wah twist. the instruments are more raw than their later style. stay is my favorite song on it imo. it's probably a good place to start when getting into floyd.

animals is really meaty and isn't a good place to start if you're new to floyd tbh. i get the whole animal farm story that goes on with it, but in my opinion it has too much of that roger waters storytelling input to it for a casual listener.

sounds good, thanks :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
02-15-2014, 04:21 AM
Yeah, that's an excellent video. The first song, alone, is worth seeing. Oh, and it's Gilmour :toast

FuzzyLumpkins
02-15-2014, 05:48 AM

While some songs like Be Careful With that Axe and One of these Days are spectacular some of those experiments were failures. Ummagumma's second LP is shit.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-15-2014, 05:54 AM

Depends on what you are looking for. Animals is much close to Dark Side's style if you want that. Meddle and Obscured are earlier work where they are doing more of their experimental soundscape stuff with Rogers going into a 5 min bass groove.

I would start with this

fOi2nVB31GM

If you have any acid then eat it.

ohmwrecker
02-15-2014, 10:43 AM
While some songs like Be Careful With that Axe and One of these Days are spectacular some of those experiments were failures. Ummagumma's second LP is shit.

I didn't mention Ummagumma, but, Ok . . . Most of Floyd's work is pretty spotty. Dark Side is really the only LP worth listening to from start to finish, but once you've blazed up and done that a few times, it loses it's luster.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-15-2014, 11:56 AM
I didn't mention Ummagumma, but, Ok . . . Most of Floyd's work is pretty spotty. Dark Side is really the only LP worth listening to from start to finish, but once you've blazed up and done that a few times, it loses it's luster.

you mentioned early pink floyd and ummagumma fitts that bill. unless you are just talking about the very first one.

Animals and wish you were here are solid from top to bottom. They lacked identity and a cohesive sound prior to Dark Side of the Moon. The next several ablums they made were stupendous though. That is not to say that those first 4 albums are not quality but they are as you say 'spotty.'

I get that you don't like the Wall. Gilmour didn't like Waters doing that shit either.

ohmwrecker
02-15-2014, 12:09 PM
I was mostly referring to Barrett era Floyd. First two LPs + singles. Everything gets pretty spotty from there for me. There are brilliant spots on nearly every Floyd album, but I think they peaked on Dark Side. Animals and Wish You were here are good, but, for me, still very spotty. The Wall has some of their best songs on it, but they get swallowed up by the "concept".

leemajors
02-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Depends on what you are looking for. Animals is much close to Dark Side's style if you want that. Meddle and Obscured are earlier work where they are doing more of their experimental soundscape stuff with Rogers going into a 5 min bass groove.

I would start with this

fOi2nVB31GM

Live at Pompeii was what we watched coming down after stumbling around the UT campus on shrooms :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
02-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Live at Pompeii was what we watched coming down after stumbling around the UT campus on shrooms :lol

Sounds like a few nights of mine own.

Proxy
02-16-2014, 11:23 AM

I would start with this

fOi2nVB31GM

Awesome, thanks man. What I'm looking for... is whatever music connoisseurs value them for, objectively. I'm not a musician, so having one guide me through what bands like Animal Collective or Steely Dan do makes a huge difference for me. I'll def check out the video, take some acid, and then check out Meddle and Obscured. :toast