PDA

View Full Version : 22LR ammo?

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 09:47 AM
What is up with the shortage of 22LR ammunition in the stores these days?
Can't find it except in limited amounts in gun shops. Forget getting it in Walmart or Academy. It is gone before noon on the days they get it in, IF they get it in.
And you are limited to only one box in the expensive gun shops!
Why just 22 ammo, and not the others?
Go figure!

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2014, 09:48 AM
didnt u get kicked out of ur apartment yet?

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 09:51 AM
didnt u get kicked out of ur apartment yet?

What the fuk are you babbling about?
And what does this have to do with anything intelligent and pertinent to the topic?
Just another lame attempt at humor which fails miserably. In fact, you need to go get a new writer ASAP.
This is not a thread for the confused or conditioned ignorant, so go plague another thread, or forum, or better yet, site for that matter.
:lol

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2014, 10:19 AM
It's starting to show back up. The resellers are still getting there when Academy opens and wiping them out on shipment day. I'm down to my last thousand rounds of .22 and am afraid the days of $15 bricks are long gone.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 10:30 AM
It's starting to show back up. The resellers are still getting there when Academy opens and wiping them out on shipment day. I'm down to my last thousand rounds of .22 and am afraid the days of $15 bricks are long gone.

But why 22?
Why not other ammo?
It makes no sense.

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2014, 11:09 AM
But why 22?
Why not other ammo?
It makes no sense.

Speaking for myself, the other ammo got so expensive (hell. 5.56 green tip got to almost $1 a round) that when people came to the ranch wanting to blast I'd just give them 22's and the .17hmr...

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Plus, I think a lot of people were buying and storing it "just in case". .22 used to be cheap and you cold afford to stockpile 10,000 rounds and it didn't take up much room.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Plus, I think a lot of people were buying and storing it "just in case". .22 used to be cheap and you cold afford to stockpile 10,000 rounds and it didn't take up much room.

Thanks.
I've heard it's because the Survivalists weapon of choice is the 22 and that they are stockpiling.
Any truth to that rumor?

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks.
I've heard it's because the Survivalists weapon of choice is the 22 and that they are stockpiling.
Any truth to that rumor?

I'm not a survivalist but it makes sense. Logically in a societal collapse bullets, guns, salt, etc. would be the new currency.

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm not a survivalist but it makes sense. Logically in a societal collapse bullets, guns, salt, etc. would be the new currency.

dont forget pussy

Biernutz
02-10-2014, 12:46 PM
This link has listing for mail order. All the big box stores are out of stock but there is ammo at $$$$$.

Why are they out of stock? Lot of 22cal guns out there now and the ammo has been low cost compared
to other cal. ammo. I'm sure there is still some panic buying.

http://gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2014, 12:50 PM
This link has listing for mail order. All the big box stores are out of stock but there is ammo at $$$$$.

Why are they out of stock? Lot of 22cal guns out there now and the ammo has been low cost compared
to other cal. ammo. I'm sure there is still some panic buying.

http://gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

Oh, I know you can buy it, but look at the prices of the ammo in stock. but I was paying 3 cents a round as recently as 2 years ago.

Biernutz
02-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Oh, I know you can buy it, but look at the prices of the ammo in stock. but I was paying 3 cents a round as recently as 2 years ago.

3 cents a round. The good old days, I think they are gone for good...........

LittleCriminal
02-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Could be the manufacturers got tired of 22 LR's for 3 cents...
Wolf was getting hungry... Wolf Manufactured a story "Scare Tactic" to protect the sheep
Now sheep line up at the wolf's house in a panic.. for no real reason or "just in case".
Money... To some.. Is a hell of a drug.

TSA
02-10-2014, 03:09 PM
I sold my Sig Mosquito because of the .22 ammo shortage. Still not seeing much of it around my parts either.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 03:43 PM
I found some the other day at a gun store and bought 550 rounds for $36, but the week before payed $98 for the same amount at the gun show.

DMC
02-10-2014, 03:49 PM
What is up with the shortage of 22LR ammunition in the stores these days?
Can't find it except in limited amounts in gun shops. Forget getting it in Walmart or Academy. It is gone before noon on the days they get it in, IF they get it in.
And you are limited to only one box in the expensive gun shops!
Why just 22 ammo, and not the others?
Go figure!

I own about 5K rounds so I have no idea.

DMC
02-10-2014, 03:51 PM
I sold my Sig Mosquito because of the .22 ammo shortage. Still not seeing much of it around my parts either.

Damn those Mosquitoes are nice. I was at the shot show in Vegas when it debuted. I'd put a can on that thing and shoot subsonic rounds anyhow.

TSA
02-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Damn those Mosquitoes are nice. I was at the shot show in Vegas when it debuted. I'd put a can on that thing and shoot subsonic rounds anyhow.

Didn't run well on anything but CCI mini-mags or something similar in FPS, don't think it would cycle subsonic very well. Even with that recommended ammo it still never ran hiccup free even after polishing the feed ramp. Stay away from this one, if I were to do it over I would go with the Ruger SR22. Buddy of mines eats up any .22 he puts through it.

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Didn't run well on anything but CCI mini-mags or something similar in FPS, don't think it would cycle subsonic very well. Even with that recommended ammo it still never ran hiccup free even after polishing the feed ramp. Stay away from this one, if I were to do it over I would go with the Ruger SR22. Buddy of mines eats up any .22 he puts through it.

Heard a lot of great things about the Ruger SR22. I might get one. They run about $350 at Academy and Bass Pro, a little more at Cabelas. I was given a Ruger 10/22 rifle for Christmas.
Anyone recommend a place to get one cheaper?

Biernutz
02-10-2014, 06:44 PM
You have to follow this link to laugh your ass off. LOL New York :lmao

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/370733/manufacturers-change-look-ar-15-rifle-now-legal-new-york-state-charles-c-w-cooke

xmas1997
02-10-2014, 06:50 PM
You have to follow this link to laugh your ass off. LOL New York :lmao

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/370733/manufacturers-change-look-ar-15-rifle-now-legal-new-york-state-charles-c-w-cooke

:lmao

It's like drugs, whenever a new one hits the streets it isn't long before it's made illegal whether harmful or not.

DMC
02-10-2014, 07:26 PM

Subsonic doesn't cycle well, but I don't rapid fire it anyhow. It's best in a bolt gun. I was looking at a Ruger 77/22 with an integrally suppressed barrel. Those things are super quiet and fun to shoot, and the greenies do well.

I have at 10/22 but it's not suppressed. It's got a BC carbon fiber barrel with a compensator, hogue stock and a Weaver scope. I want to get a Volquartsen receiver but that makes it cost more than it's worth.

https://www.volquartsen.com/pictures/630x275/220-ss-receiver-w-picatinny-mount.jpg

With this

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_100002145_1.jpg

Bender
02-10-2014, 09:05 PM
everything to do with guns/shooting is ruined now.

no ammo, no components for handloading your own ammo... I got into black powder shooting for a while, but now percussion caps are hard to find.

I need to find another hobby.