PDA

View Full Version : Pistons: To match max offer for Monroe?

Michael Jordan.
02-10-2014, 06:42 PM
NBA.com reports that when Pistons (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/DET/detroit-pistons) forward Greg Monroe (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1755186/greg-monroe), who has seen his role diminished in the Pistons' semi-star-studded malaise this year, hits free agency, his agent expects him to get the max.

The problem, as the Pistons knew last fall, is that Monroe's agent is David Falk. He has gotten the price he said he'd get for his clients for two decades -- and he says the price for Monroe will be a max contract.
Two years ago, when a big deal for Indiana's Roy Hibbert (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1622538/roy-hibbert), a Falk client, seemed doubtful, Falk created a one-team market. Portland dropped a four-year, $58 million sheet on Indiana for Hibbert. The Pacers (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/IND/indiana-pacers) matched, and are no doubt happy they did, but Falk proved he can still find suitors when he has to for his guys.
Yet the Pistons aren't going to move Monroe unless it's a blockbuster deal. Offering just expiring contracts won't get it done. The hope in Detroit is that Monroe's situation is resolved in similar fashion to how Oklahoma City eventually worked out a four-year, $49 million contract with Serge Ibaka (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1622540/serge-ibaka) before he hit free agency. (The Thunder (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/OKC/oklahoma-city-thunder) had the obvious advantage of having Kevin Durant (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1231866/kevin-durant) and Russell Westbrook (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1622555/russell-westbrook) as lures to play with through the meat of Ibaka's career.)
If Falk finds a team ready to give Monroe the max or something close to it, expect Detroit to match the offer sheet and worry about the money later. At worst, you'd have a 24-year-old, 6-foot-10 power forward under contract that you'd then be able to shop. The Pistons had to lose a lot to wind up with top-10 picks in three straight Drafts. Those assets mean more to them than they probably do to others.

spurraider21
02-10-2014, 07:16 PM
if they wanted to keep monroe they shoulnd't have acquired josh smith. the two can't coexist, as smith is one of the worst outside shooters in the NBA

resistanze
02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
They give out max contracts to no-defense playing stiffs like Monroe then the owners will be crying at the next CBA, again. And the players will take it up the ass, again.

RsxPiimp
02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Good thing Stuckey and CV are expiring, they can afford to max Greg and Andre at the same time. Signing Smith and Billups so far is Dumars biggest WTF transaction in his career IMO.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Monroe is better suited as a 3rd big, tbh..:lmao @ anybody paying him max money..

SpurSwag
02-10-2014, 10:00 PM
With Jennings, Smith, and Drummond, the pistons really need to change to an up tempo team, which Monroe would not fit well in. He is definitely the odd man out, and is a player I actually like a lot despite his defensive short comings. They should definitely not let him walk and look to get some shooters to surround drummond, smith and jennings.

Jennings could actually flourish in a fast paced system, I'm not sure why any teams are trying to play slow it down basketball anymore. Clearly that just doesn't work anymore, as Memphis keeps finding out year after year

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2014, 10:50 PM
spurs should go after him and use him as spot up shooter like every clown who signs with the spurs

Killakobe81
02-11-2014, 12:26 AM
They give out max contracts to no-defense playing stiffs like Monroe then the owners will be crying at the next CBA, again. And the players will take it up the ass, again.

This. Just dumb. Again only Durant and Lebron truly worth max in new CBA Pistons do that and it garunseed they don't get to 4 ft for another 5 years.

baseline bum
02-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Good thing Stuckey and CV are expiring, they can afford to max Greg and Andre at the same time. Signing Smith and Billups so far is Dumars biggest WTF transaction in his career IMO.

Signing Villenueva to that deal was way stupider than Smith, and Darko over Melo was the biggest WTF transation of Dumars' career.

baseline bum
02-11-2014, 12:39 AM
This. Just dumb. Again only Durant and Lebron truly worth max in new CBA Pistons do that and it garunseed they don't get to 4 ft for another 5 years.

Durant and LeBron are worth at least 3x max. Mid-level stars like Love, Aldridge, Wade, George are probably worth max.

DJ Mbenga
02-11-2014, 12:45 AM
just trade smith for pierce

RsxPiimp
02-11-2014, 02:44 AM
Signing Villenueva to that deal was way stupider than Smith, and Darko over Melo was the biggest WTF transation of Dumars' career.

Yeah good call. Totally forgot about Darko.

spurraider21
02-11-2014, 03:06 AM
It's not that signing Smith was dumb, its just the fit with Drummond, Monroe, and Smith is retarded. They should have traded Monroe over the summer. A Drummond/Smith frontcourt would have been great. By trading for Jennings, they pretty much pushed their chips all in though

jimbo
02-11-2014, 03:17 AM
Has he actually been able to defend PFs this season? I haven't caught more than like 2 Pistons games.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2014, 03:17 AM
how about not resigning ben wallace, then breaking up the team hahahaha

then wasting that cap on clowns like ben gordon

pisstons are just retarded, would rather milk whatever left was of pisstons championship core for a few more seasons, is better rebuilding and failing to nowhere

jimbo
02-11-2014, 03:24 AM
how about not resigning ben wallace, then breaking up the team hahahaha

then wasting that cap on clowns like ben gordon

pisstons are just retarded, would rather milk whatever left was of pisstons championship core for a few more seasons, is better rebuilding and failing to nowhere

Tbh, sounds like the Spurs front office are listening to you. You only have yourself to blame for Parker still being on the team.

Sean Cagney
02-11-2014, 03:28 AM
Tbh, sounds like the Spurs front office are listening to you. You only have yourself to blame for Parker still being on the team.

YEAH because Parker is the Teams problems!!!!!!!!!!

jimbo
02-11-2014, 03:33 AM
YEAH because Parker is the Teams problems!!!!!!!!!!

Your English is too good tbh

Sean Cagney
02-11-2014, 03:36 AM
Your English is too good tbh

Well THANK YOU SIR!!!!!!!! Thank you very much.

spurraider21
02-11-2014, 03:41 AM
The Pistons signing Ben Gordon was just bad on so many levels. Not that I think Ben Gordon is a #2 or 3 caliber player, but he was a pretty damn good player prior to ending up on the Pistons. They gave him big money and pretty much refused to play him. Fucked themselves over and Gordon over at the same time.

His last year on Chicago he averaged over 20ppg on 45.5% shooting. Nothing spectacular, but he was a really good player. He was playing 36 minutes a game that year. He never averaged 30 with the Pistons. Just a retarded sequence of events. He could have had a better career

Killakobe81
02-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Durant and LeBron are worth at least 3x max. Mid-level stars like Love, Aldridge, Wade, George are probably worth max.

Old CBA, I agree
new one ...No.

Yes it would be great if LeBron and KD could get their value but CBA fucked them. And with cap penalties etc how,is it working out for Love making that money in Minny? I like him hut he ain't a max player. Owners need to show balls or they will be fucked too by New CBA

ambchang
02-11-2014, 09:29 AM
Monroe is like a poor man's al Jefferson.

Not even close to a max player.

Rogue
02-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Ben Gordon was known as a chemistry killer & a shot chucker before moving to Detroit imho. Dude's scoring ability is amazing but he's even more of a blackhole than Kobe is, and that's why he's mostly been used as a 6th man through his career.

Killakobe81
02-11-2014, 10:18 AM
NBA.com reports that when Pistons (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/DET/detroit-pistons) forward Greg Monroe (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1755186/greg-monroe), who has seen his role diminished in the Pistons' semi-star-studded malaise this year, hits free agency, his agent expects him to get the max.

The problem, as the Pistons knew last fall, is that Monroe's agent is David Falk. He has gotten the price he said he'd get for his clients for two decades -- and he says the price for Monroe will be a max contract.
Two years ago, when a big deal for Indiana's Roy Hibbert (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1622538/roy-hibbert), a Falk client, seemed doubtful, Falk created a one-team market. Portland dropped a four-year, $58 million sheet on Indiana for Hibbert. The Pacers (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/IND/indiana-pacers) matched, and are no doubt happy they did, but Falk proved he can still find suitors when he has to for his guys.
Yet the Pistons aren't going to move Monroe unless it's a blockbuster deal. Offering just expiring contracts won't get it done. The hope in Detroit is that Monroe's situation is resolved in similar fashion to how Oklahoma City eventually worked out a four-year, $49 million contract with Serge Ibaka (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1622540/serge-ibaka) before he hit free agency. (The Thunder (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/OKC/oklahoma-city-thunder) had the obvious advantage of having Kevin Durant (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1231866/kevin-durant) and Russell Westbrook (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1622555/russell-westbrook) as lures to play with through the meat of Ibaka's career.)
If Falk finds a team ready to give Monroe the max or something close to it, expect Detroit to match the offer sheet and worry about the money later. At worst, you'd have a 24-year-old, 6-foot-10 power forward under contract that you'd then be able to shop. The Pistons had to lose a lot to wind up with top-10 picks in three straight Drafts. Those assets mean more to them than they probably do to others.

That is NOLA matching Eric gordon type logic ...
WTF happened to DUmars was he just lucky previously?!

Raven
02-11-2014, 12:39 PM
if they wanted to keep monroe they shoulnd't have acquired josh smith. the two can't coexist, as smith is one of the worst outside shooters in the NBA

actually, they can and fairly easily. they free up the money from villanueva and stuckey, match monroe for let's say 14 a year and that means around 50M for 12 or so players. The capspace should be more than enough to fix the sg-sf spot and a three big rotation of smith, monroe, drummond is pretty awesome, they just need time and purpose to gel. There are more than enough minutes for the three of them to fill just two spots.

spurraider21
02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
actually, they can and fairly easily. they free up the money from villanueva and stuckey, match monroe for let's say 14 a year and that means around 50M for 12 or so players. The capspace should be more than enough to fix the sg-sf spot and a three big rotation of smith, monroe, drummond is pretty awesome, they just need time and purpose to gel. There are more than enough minutes for the three of them to fill just two spots.
The problem is Monroe isn't about to get paid "3rd big" money. Signing Monroe to a gigantic contract would be a mistake. Smith and Drummond would be a really good duo at the 4 and 5. Smith is an excellent 4 but is lost at small forward because it highlights his most glaring weakness. With Monroe and Drummond in, the spacing Josh Smith provides is shit.

Keeping Monroe is lose-lose. Either he starts and you are misusing Smith who you just signed to a giant contract, or you are overpaying your 3rd big while Drummond will get paid in a few years. Signing smith should have been accompanied with a Moneoe trade to fix their SG situation

Raven
02-11-2014, 02:12 PM
The problem is Monroe isn't about to get paid "3rd big" money. Signing Monroe to a gigantic contract would be a mistake. Smith and Drummond would be a really good duo at the 4 and 5. Smith is an excellent 4 but is lost at small forward because it highlights his most glaring weakness. With Monroe and Drummond in, the spacing Josh Smith provides is shit.

Keeping Monroe is lose-lose. Either he starts and you are misusing Smith who you just signed to a giant contract, or you are overpaying your 3rd big while Drummond will get paid in a few years. Signing smith should have been accompanied with a Monroe trade to fix their SG situation

that doesn't count in the fact that smith and drummond together are not one inch of the player monroe is tbh. let's assume that all three are on the same level which they are not: Monroe can play with smith as the center or with drummond at the pf, both combinations are good because smith and drummond are mostly defensive players while monroe is more of a go-to-guy on offense. That's a 3 man rotation for two spots, i don't see what is bad about that. If i am correct, drummond will be a rfa in two years, so by then they be able to simply match the offer he gets and get in tax zone without much problem. let's assume that all 3 cost 14(smith)+14(monroe)+16(drummond), they would still have the money for jennings to be resigned and fix the 2 and 3 spots in the long run (before resigning drummond of course). I really don't see the issue abaout a player being overpaid when you can afford it, detroit obviously can.

spurraider21
02-11-2014, 03:07 PM
that doesn't count in the fact that smith and drummond together are not one inch of the player monroe is tbh. let's assume that all three are on the same level which they are not: Monroe can play with smith as the center or with drummond at the pf, both combinations are good because smith and drummond are mostly defensive players while monroe is more of a go-to-guy on offense. That's a 3 man rotation for two spots, i don't see what is bad about that. If i am correct, drummond will be a rfa in two years, so by then they be able to simply match the offer he gets and get in tax zone without much problem. let's assume that all 3 cost 14(smith)+14(monroe)+16(drummond), they would still have the money for jennings to be resigned and fix the 2 and 3 spots in the long run (before resigning drummond of course). I really don't see the issue abaout a player being overpaid when you can afford it, detroit obviously can.
a) you are overrating Monroe in your first sentence
b) i'm aware they would make a nice 3 man rotation. however, its too expensive to be paying all 3 what they will be getting paid, which was one of my points earlier. either you are overpaying for a 3rd big, or you are starting all 3 together which won't work. either way its not a good plan
c) if they resign drummond/monroe for the figures you mentioned, thats 44 million on 3 players. jennings makes 8 so you are up to 52 million (cap around 63) with 3 starters and 1 reserve. i don't think that formula is going to add up to anything good
d) its never a good idea to overpay in a salary cap league. it will bite you in the ass down the line. detroit "could afford" to overpay guys like villanueva and gordon at the time too

Killakobe81
02-11-2014, 06:57 PM
a) you are overrating Monroe in your first sentence
b) i'm aware they would make a nice 3 man rotation. however, its too expensive to be paying all 3 what they will be getting paid, which was one of my points earlier. either you are overpaying for a 3rd big, or you are starting all 3 together which won't work. either way its not a good plan
c) if they resign drummond/monroe for the figures you mentioned, thats 44 million on 3 players. jennings makes 8 so you are up to 52 million (cap around 63) with 3 starters and 1 reserve. i don't think that formula is going to add up to anything good
d) its never a good idea to overpay in a salary cap league. it will bite you in the ass down the line. detroit "could afford" to overpay guys like villanueva and gordon at the time too

This. Said even better than I could. They will rue the day if they pay max money and yes he still could be traded but it wont be at face value. Sure you dont want to lose him for nada but a sign and trade for a draft pick is better than overpaying your 3rd big. I like Monroe would love him on the lakers but not at max $ he is NOT a max money player. And if Detroit does sign him fine, that is one less team i have to worry about winning a title before the Lakers can snag another (somewhere down the road) ...

bdubya
02-12-2014, 11:54 AM
If there's a trade that makes the team better in the next eight days pull the trigger, but that's highly unlikely. Pistons better be prepared to sign him for the max; if a good sign-and-trade can be done, great, but overpaying the third big is not such a terrible option as long as the rotations are done right. Give Drummond a lot of minutes with the second unit, where he and Bynum form a lethal pick-and-roll combo. Maybe we have to trade Moose for less than face value down the road, but that's no worse than trading him now for less than face value, is it?

As for Dumars' worst moves, I give him a total pass on the Darko bust. Darko was #2 on a lot of mock drafts that year, and with Carmelo instead of Prince I don't think the Pistons would have sniffed the finals in '04 or '05. Worst move was definitely the Villlanueva/Gordon signings, with Billups-for-Iverson running a close second (it would be first except that there was a slim outside chance that it could have worked, and the fan base was screaming at the time for a "stud scorer" that could get the team past the conference finals).

spurraider21
02-20-2014, 07:32 PM
the pistons were reportedly shopping josh smith around near the deadline :lol

DMC
02-20-2014, 07:36 PM
I honestly don't give a fuck who gets their value. In the end, it's always going to be where the majority of talent is concentrated on large market teams. Let the NBA decide what players comprise that list of talent. All this shuffling is just smoke and mirrors to keep fans thinking their respective franchise is trying to improve.