PDA

View Full Version : Would the Spurs be any different this season, if they won the title?

wildcardX
02-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Bored at work right now and I was just thinking; if the Spurs won the title would Duncan and Manu possibly have retired? Maybe even Pop? Would they be rebuilding this year? Still sign Splitter? Or do you guys think the roster would be relatively unchanged and everyone back to defend the title.

horsielove
02-11-2014, 11:37 PM
"if" :lol

Sean Cagney
02-11-2014, 11:47 PM
They would defend the title IMO, Tim and Manu would give it another run.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Manu and Tim probably wouldn't be on the squad

Sean Cagney
02-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Manu and Tim probably wouldn't be on the squad

So you think they retire right away? Tim being the competitor he is and the man who wants as many rings as he can get doesn't defend his title?

T Park
02-12-2014, 12:06 AM
I think Manu would've hung it up. Tim, I don't know.

tim_duncan_fan
02-12-2014, 12:13 AM
They would certainly be more confident in themselves in this scenario than the actual softies of reality are.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-12-2014, 12:16 AM
When the Spurs lose in the playoffs this year it will hurt a hell of a lot because we'll be reminded even more how close we were last year and just how much of a blown chance it really was.

At least in 2004 and 2006 you knew the team would be back for a title run the following year.

SpurPadre
02-12-2014, 12:54 AM
We don't do back to back titles, so define different...

Robz4000
02-12-2014, 12:55 AM
Team would be tanking hard this season imo. Tony prolly would've taken the first few months off unless he were traded. Tim and Manu would've been retired.

capek
02-12-2014, 01:13 AM
Team would be tanking hard this season imo. Tony prolly would've taken the first few months off unless he were traded. Tim and Manu would've been retired.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2te50IePy1qlvie8o2_250.gif

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130428205034/victorious/images/1/1d/Taylor_never_happen_gif.gif

Darius Bieber
02-12-2014, 01:24 AM
Spurstalk would have been different. The League would have been different. The love for LeBron and Miami would be different as well.

Robz4000
02-12-2014, 01:25 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2te50IePy1qlvie8o2_250.gif

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130428205034/victorious/images/1/1d/Taylor_never_happen_gif.gif

The Spurs wouldn't of retired them, they'd of done it willingly.

weeks
02-12-2014, 01:36 AM
i wonder if they would have stuck around to try for the elusive repeat/even year championship. probably.

capek
02-12-2014, 01:46 AM
It's more just the general retiring thing I don't want to accept. :lol

But I think they would have stuck around too. I don't think it would have changed anything, appreciably, anyways.

rascal
02-12-2014, 07:04 AM
There would have been no changes. No one would have retired.

Skoobz
02-12-2014, 07:22 AM
Nope

Johnny RIngo
02-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Tony Parker wouldn't be known as a choke artist. Manu wouldn't be hated by half his fanbase. Duncan would have another Finals MVP.

DMC
02-12-2014, 02:57 PM
I laugh in the face of anyone who thinks Tim or Manu base their continued playing on success/failure on the court and not on money. We're talking about 10m a year or so for them with endorsements and such maybe a bit more. Why spend that (what you don't make you spend) to sit in the stands instead of on the bench?

To answer the OP: I think we still have Neal, maybe Blair or maybe neither since guys who win the ring want more money right away. They would not defend the title and as evidence: they have the WC title, let's see how they defend that.

hater
02-12-2014, 02:57 PM
so to rephrase the question, WHAT IF Manu had NOT had 8 turnovers in game 6?

sure I'll play,
- Manu would still be San Antonio's favorite child, instead of an embarrassment to the organization
- Lebron would be the laghingstock of the world
- Lakerfans would have choked their favorite pets
- Duncan would be in the top 10 best ever
- Pop wouldn't have gotten exposed as a mediocre to good coach
- The Spurs would not be in a mental whole they are now. Niggas can't even beat their own shadows these days.
- and more importantly most of the trolls in here and in the NBA forum would be gone :lol
- oh, and timvp would still be posting :lmao

DMC
02-12-2014, 03:00 PM
so to rephrase the question, WHAT IF Manu had NOT had 8 turnovers in game 6?

sure I'll play,
- Manu would still be San Antonio's favorite child, instead of an embarrassment to the organization
- Lebron would be the laghingstock of the world
- Lakerfans would have choked their favorite pets
- Duncan would be in the top 10 best ever
- Pop wouldn't have gotten exposed as a mediocre to good coach
- The Spurs would not be in a mental whole they are now. Niggas can't even beat their own shadows these days.
- and more importantly most of the trolls in here and in the NBA forum would be gone :lol
- oh, and timvp would still be posting :lmao
Clean up your grammar and spelling if you're going to call someone out.

EVAY
02-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Absolutely nothing would be different, except perhaps that the refs would respect us a bit more.

Tim would still be looking for his first back-toback. Manu would have gotten even more money that he did to re-sign, and Tony would still have led the French team to their first ever national title. And he would still be getting trashed by half of ST on a nightly basis.

Teams that we played this year would still be gunning for us as they are now.

The two assistant coaches who left would have gotten larger contracts than they got.

Kidd K
02-12-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm positive Timmy would be back to try and repeat because he got dat Magnum XXXL size swag, but Manu I have no idea. He was talking retirement last year after all.

dg7md
02-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Manu might have retired, but I don't think Duncan would have. He's still got 2 years left I think. Big men age slower than the wingmen.

Poolboy5623
02-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Why would manu have retired if they won? He has 3 rings...if he was going to retire, he'd retire. This team would be exactly where they are at now, win or lose. They are the spurs, after all.

mudyez
02-13-2014, 02:13 PM
This team would be exactly where they are at now, win or lose. They are the spurs, after all.

True!

FromWayDowntown
02-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Parker said, before the Finals started, that he wanted to see Timmy "go out on top" and equated that to David Robinson's retirement, which suggested to me that Tony either knew or had very good reason to believe that Timmy was done if the Spurs had won the title.

http://www.beyondthebuzzer.com/2013/06/03/tony-parker-says-he-wants-to-send-tim-duncan-out-on-top/

Given the things swirling around Tim's personal life at that time, retirement wouldn't have been surprising.

I also don't expect that we'll ever get a Jeter-like announcement out of Tim about the end of his playing career. I think he'll either just let his contract expire and be done with it, or he'll have the Spurs just announce one day that he's decided to retire. No farewell tours and no fanfare.

Beaverfuzz
02-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Tim would still be on the team.
Manu would have seriously thought about retiring.
Parker would have taken more of the summer off.

slick'81
02-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Still have to think things would of stayed the same not sure on Manu or Timmy hanging it up but if the spurs found a way to close game 6 the long season and full schedule this time around would still be affecting tony and Manu.luckily Timmy is starting to find his groove on offense

SupremeGuy
02-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Honestly, probably not. We bent over backwards to pay Manu, and that was our big offseason mistake.

Spur|n|Austin
02-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Sigh.. Still hurts to think about. :cry

daslicer
02-14-2014, 03:32 PM
What would be different is this would still be a good forum had the spurs won. Now its filled with a bunch of haters that are Pop haters,Parker Haters, Manu haters, Green Haters. It really makes discussions pretty dull. At the rate at which things are going on this forum will be dead in a year or so.

Baseline
02-16-2014, 01:12 AM
Everything would be different - the present, the future, and the historical. Tim would be 5-0 in the Finals. Only Jordan was better at 6-0. Miami would have blown up their team, because Game 6 would have ended it and the Heat would have lost 4-2. That's the game Tim had 25 points in the first half, so Tim would have gotten the Finals MVP for the FOURTH time. That would have meant that Tim is by far the best player of his generation, and all the K. Bryant idiot fans or even the Shaq fans wouldn't have an argument.

Tim Duncan would be in the Top 3 of all-time discussion. Tim and Russell the two best bigs of all-time. And rightfully so, because Tim would have 5 rings, and 4 Finals MVPs.

So, thank you Pop, for sitting this guy twice in the last minute of Game 6. This all-time great, when all we needed was one rebound.

therealtruth
02-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Everything would be different - the present, the future, and the historical. Tim would be 5-0 in the Finals. Only Jordan was better at 6-0. Miami would have blown up their team, because Game 6 would have ended it and the Heat would have lost 4-2. That's the game Tim had 25 points in the first half, so Tim would have gotten the Finals MVP for the FOURTH time. That would have meant that Tim is by far the best player of his generation, and all the K. Bryant idiot fans or even the Shaq fans wouldn't have an argument.

Tim Duncan would be in the Top 3 of all-time discussion. Tim and Russell the two best bigs of all-time. And rightfully so, because Tim would have 5 rings, and 4 Finals MVPs.

So, thank you Pop, for sitting this guy twice in the last minute of Game 6. This all-time great, when all we needed was one rebound.

Pop has no clue about the psychological aspects of the game. He prevented greatness from happening by sitting Duncan. Allow him to will them to the win. He even admits that coaches can only have so much influence on the game but then prevented TD from putting his imprint on the game. Think of it another way. Pop expected to get multiple stops against the best offensive team in the league with one of the best players in generation without the best defender on the court. It wasn't a rebound or contest they needed. They simply needed a defensive stop.

TampaDude
02-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Did we blow up the team? No. Neither would Miami.

Spurs never win back to back titles anyway. You need refs to do that nowadays. :lol

02-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Nothing would really be different. If the Spurs had won, all the offseason talk would have been about what the Heat did wrong instead of what the Spurs did right. They still would have had all of the ABC Sunday telecasts while the Spurs would have had maybe 2 instead of the 1 they got, which of course was against Miami..

TMTTRIO
02-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Win or lose, Manu should've retired and I think he really would've if the Spurs weren't crazy to try to keep him around.