PDA

View Full Version : Astronomers Find First Evidence Of Other Universes

Huey Freeman
02-13-2014, 03:55 AM
http://www.technologyreview.com/sites/default/files/legacy/eternal_inflation.png
Our cosmos was “bruised” in collisions with other universes. Now astronomers have found the first evidence of these impacts in the cosmic microwave background

There’s something exciting afoot in the world of cosmology. Last month, Roger Penrose at the University of Oxford and Vahe Gurzadyan at Yerevan State University in Armenia announced that they had found patterns of concentric circles in the cosmic microwave background, the echo of the Big Bang.

This, they say, is exactly what you’d expect if the universe were eternally cyclical. By that, they mean that each cycle ends with a big bang that starts the next cycle. In this model, the universe is a kind of cosmic Russian Doll, with all previous universes contained within the current one.

That’s an extraordinary discovery: evidence of something that occurred before the (conventional) Big Bang.

Today, another group says they’ve found something else in the echo of the Big Bang. These guys start with a different model of the universe called eternal inflation. In this way of thinking, the universe we see is merely a bubble in a much larger cosmos. This cosmos is filled with other bubbles, all of which are other universes where the laws of physics may be dramatically different to ours.

These bubbles probably had a violent past, jostling together and leaving “cosmic bruises” where they touched. If so, these bruises ought to be visible today in the cosmic microwave background.

Now Stephen Feeney at University College London and a few pals say they’ve found tentative evidence of this bruising in the form of circular patterns in cosmic microwave background. In fact, they’ve found four bruises, implying that our universe must have smashed into other bubbles at least four times in the past.

Again, this is an extraordinary result: the first evidence of universes beyond our own.

So, what to make of these discoveries. First, these effects could easily be a trick of the eye. As Feeney and co acknowledge: “it is rather easy to fifind all sorts of statistically unlikely properties in a large dataset like the CMB.” That’s for sure!

There are precautions statisticians can take to guard against this, which both Feeney and Penrose bring to bear in various ways.

But these are unlikely to settle the argument. In the last few weeks, several groups have confirmed Penrose’s finding while others have found no evidence for it. Expect a similar pattern for Feeney’s result.

The only way to settle this will be to confirm or refute the findings with better data. As luck would have it, new data is forthcoming thanks to the Planck spacecraft that is currently peering into the cosmic microwave background with more resolution and greater sensitivity than ever.

Cosmologists should have a decent data set to play with in a couple of years or so. When they get it, these circles should either spring into clear view or disappear into noise (rather like the mysterious Mars face that appeared in pictures of the red planet taken by Viking 1 and then disappeared in the higher resolution shots from the Mars Global Surveyor).

Planck should settle the matter; or, with any luck, introduce an even better mystery. In the meantime, there’s going to be some fascinating discussion about this data and what it implies about the nature of the Universe. We’ll be watching.

:wow

http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.1995: First Observational Tests of Eternal Inflation
http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.3706: Concentric Circles In WMAP Data May Provide Evidence Of Violent Pre-Big-Bang Activity

DeadlyDynasty
02-13-2014, 04:01 AM
Kind of OT but when are we going back to the moon? Hard to believe it's been 30 years or so...use money from the public safety net to help fund a few new expeditions imo

Trainwreck2100
02-13-2014, 04:09 AM
Kind of OT but when are we going back to the moon? Hard to believe it's been 30 years or so...use money from the public safety net to help fund a few new expeditions imo

fuck no, there's robots there

spurraider21
02-13-2014, 04:17 AM
armenians coming through in the clutch imo :lol

DeadlyDynasty
02-13-2014, 04:22 AM
fuck no, there's robots there
borrrring.

If they can find a way to overcome the minimal-G environment than Adam Silver should be looking at expansion. There's money to be made

Thebesteva
02-13-2014, 05:40 AM
armenians coming through in the clutch imo :lol

To be fair, Armenias technology is behind. The scientists assistant probably looked like this tbh

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ00tkEYucROmeNPBzhdJizmUodPGgjP 10oPmte5x7gHGrN_CycHg

Twisted_Dawg
02-13-2014, 08:30 AM
I've often thought they are billions of other universes out there. If our own universe contains 100 billion + galaxies and each galaxy has 100 billion+ stars, then why couldn't there be a 100 billion + universes? Such hubris to think there is only one universe.

Spur|n|Austin
02-13-2014, 09:12 AM
By that, they mean that each cycle ends with a big bang that starts the next cycle. In this model, the universe is a kind of cosmic Russian Doll, with all previous universes contained within the current one.

Wow, big discovery.

Do you have a link to the article above? The links provided don't take you there. Thanks.

Rogue
02-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Maybe our universe is just one of the many marbles that an alien plays with, like what's shown in the end of Man In Black 1

Relevancy
02-13-2014, 10:05 AM
What frustrates me is the lack of evidence of outer life, I mean how is that possible given the fact there's billions of galaxies out there? Or whichever number is the correct one, doesnt matter.

Spur|n|Austin
02-13-2014, 10:21 AM
What frustrates me is the lack of evidence of outer life, I mean how is that possible given the fact there's billions of galaxies out there? Or whichever number is the correct one, doesnt matter.

You answered your own question - the universe is infinite. Bigger than we can fathom and putting the finding of life out of our grasp. For now at least.

Blake
02-13-2014, 10:28 AM

There's a few billion planets in our galaxy located in habitable zones according to this:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/nov/04/planets-galaxy-life-kepler

So I figure there has to be life somewhere in those zones.

Not sure if there's life as advanced as us though.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Wow this is huge news.

pgardn
02-13-2014, 12:19 PM
So, what to make of these discoveries. First, these effects could easily be a trick of the eye. As Feeney and co acknowledge: “it is rather easy to find all sorts of statistically unlikely properties in a large dataset like the CMB.” That’s for sure!

There are precautions statisticians can take to guard against this, which both Feeney and Penrose bring to bear in various ways.

But these are unlikely to settle the argument. In the last few weeks, several groups have confirmed Penrose’s finding while others have found no evidence for it. Expect a similar pattern for Feeney’s result.

Welcome to science. Hardly open and shut at present.

rascal
02-15-2014, 09:59 AM
There are other dimensions.

Proxy
02-16-2014, 11:29 AM

11, theoretically iirc

bluebellmaniac
02-16-2014, 12:51 PM
The article is from 2010: http://www.technologyreview.com/view/421999/astronomers-find-first-evidence-of-other-universes/

The good news is that from an astronomical perspective, the article is not very old at all...

DMC
02-16-2014, 01:49 PM
I've often thought they are billions of other universes out there. If our own universe contains 100 billion + galaxies and each galaxy has 100 billion+ stars, then why couldn't there be a 100 billion + universes? Such hubris to think there is only one universe.

Depends on how you define "universe". If defined as "all energy and matter that exists" then there's only one, but then saying there's only one universe is no different than saying there's only one reality. You can say there are more, but you've automatically destroyed them by claiming to know they exist.

DMC
02-16-2014, 01:51 PM

Other than what?

rascal
02-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Other than what?

DMC
02-16-2014, 03:12 PM

Outside of quantum theory, there are 3. We as humans exist in 3 spatial dimensions.

Let's not confuse quantum theory with science fiction.

gnsf0946
02-16-2014, 04:01 PM
there are 4 dimensions actually, time being the 4th one.

Proxy
02-16-2014, 05:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Gotl9vRGs

gnsf0946
02-16-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm too dumb to understand that tbh

The Reckoning
02-16-2014, 07:49 PM
now that idea is a......stretch.

mouse
02-17-2014, 04:23 AM
Science the new money making machine.

This topic reminds me of the Federal Reserve. When you need money just print more.

How the FUC Can you print in the School texts books how Science knows exactly for a fact just how the Universe came from nothing "12 Billion" years ago and the idiots even have inside the books all kinds of Artwork? to sell their bullshit to the schools as they continue to brainwash young college students and children and now all of a sudden Science wants to move the goal posts by saying there is not only something in the universe after all?

Science and NASA are now the new Halliburton's of the war in your mind.

Avante
02-17-2014, 04:41 AM
When was there any debate over if there were other universes? I assumed it was understood.

mouse
02-18-2014, 11:49 AM
The debates I have been involved with deal with how life on other planets effect Darwin's Evolution since many of those planets may have proof how they came about and it didn't involve a fish with legs.

I. Hustle
02-18-2014, 12:03 PM

I'm working on it.

People think that wormholes are only found in space. I found one in New Mexico. That is why there are so many UFO sitings. They aren't flying here from outer space! They are accidentally stumbling through the wormhole. We think aliens are so advanced and that they can travel through space. It's not like that though!!! It's like a guy deciding to fly his cessna and just "falling" through a wormhole. The guy doesn't have to be a genius to fly a plane BUT if he traveled through and came out on another planet then of course they would look at him as an advanced species.

How many of us were lost in New Mexico and in the Bermuda triangle???!!!

InRareForm
02-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Mind blown. Gives more evidence of reliving the same life as reincarnation?

mouse
02-23-2014, 09:41 PM
The debates I have been involved with deal with how life on other planets effect Darwin's Evolution since many of those planets may have proof how they came about and it didn't involve a fish with legs.

And they are losing big....

At the end they got Fucked by the Fish! :lmao

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Evoulution-debunked-by-MAllen-2.jpg

mouse
02-23-2014, 09:43 PM
This shit is still in the texts books!

http://bytesizebio.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/haeckel-1874-embryos.jpg