PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Set to Acquire Time Warner Cable for $45 Billion

ElNono
02-13-2014, 04:18 AM
Comcast will announce a deal to acquire Time Warner Cable in an all-stock deal that will unite the first- and second-largest cable television operators in the country, according to people briefed on the matter.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/comcast-set-to-acquire-time-warner-cable/?hp

Trainwreck2100
02-13-2014, 04:57 AM
so then the lakers will play on comcast sports net now.

Trainwreck2100
02-13-2014, 04:58 AM
also we consumers are so fucked, they gonna recoup the money from that sale real quick

DJR210
02-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Deal is done assuming the feds don't step in ala the T-Mobile/At&t deal.

I currently use Grande for internet, but am in process of buying a new house and expect Grande not to service the area. I don't like Time Warner's shitty ass service to begin with. More expensive for less speed, constant network issues and massive slow downs in speed during peak hours. Not to mention Comcast currently has caps in their plans so Time Warner will be implementing that very soon I'm sure.

leemajors
02-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Grande is ok, they overload their nodes somewhat less but will be offering Giga for $79 within the next few months in a few neighborhoods at first in Austin. I called about it. Buy a Surfboard if you don't have one, TW's docsis 3.0 modem is an unwieldy pos.

DJR210
02-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Grande is ok, they overload their nodes somewhat less but will be offering Giga for $79 within the next few months in a few neighborhoods at first in Austin. I called about it. Buy a Surfboard if you don't have one, TW's docsis 3.0 modem is an unwieldy pos.

I just like their internet really. Their TV signals suck ass, they are way too compressed.

leemajors
02-13-2014, 03:18 PM
I just like their internet really. Their TV signals suck ass, they are way too compressed.

Yeah their picture is terrible.

AntiChrist
02-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Does this mean we all get brand new DVR's and cable modems? I'm guessing not.

illusioNtEk
02-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Customers benefit from a faster pace of innovation, new products and features, including faster broadband, and a superior customer experience.

Comcast offers Internet speeds of up to 505 mbps in the Northeast and up to 105 mbps nationally.

baseline bum
02-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Customers benefit from a faster pace of innovation, new products and features, including faster broadband, and a superior customer experience.

Comcast offers Internet speeds of up to 505 mbps in the Northeast and up to 105 mbps nationally.

Are you one of their fucking sales reps?

DJR210
02-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Are you one of their fucking sales reps?

Right?

:lol typical illisioNtEk tech forum takes

Plus, Time Warner's existing lines and services are not gonna upgrade overnight. It's gonna be the same old service under a new name, with added data caps for the near future.

illusioNtEk
02-13-2014, 07:03 PM
I work for TWC tech support, this is what they are telling us to tell customers... Things won't change overnight tho... might take a year or so to notice changes.

ElNono
02-13-2014, 10:31 PM
I live in the Northeast and have had Comcast at home for many years. They sucked complete donkey balls until FIOS showed up and made them up their game. FIOS (which we have at the office) runs circles around them. FIOS is only slightly more expensive.

This deal will give them an even bigger monopoly in some areas... feel sorry for those poor schmucks...

ChumpDumper
02-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Hopefully the competition in places like Austin will make things better for customers. From what I've read they can actually get close to a gig out of existing coax if they manage the bandwidth properly. It would be crazy to have up to four companies providing that speed to some neighborhoods.

DJR210
02-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Competition is great, but the industry itself is seeing a +6% rise in cost per year. It's gonna be a fight for the cheapest overpriced TV service.

leemajors
02-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Competition is great, but the industry itself is seeing a +6% rise in cost per year. It's gonna be a fight for the cheapest overpriced TV service.

Google fiber is having a direct impact on pricing, most are offering giga in austin for ~$79 because it is coming. I think Google just announced they are looking at expanding to SA and 9 other cities

DJR210
02-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Google fiber is having a direct impact on pricing, most are offering giga in austin for ~$79 because it is coming. I think Google just announced they are looking at expanding to SA and 9 other cities

Google Fiber sounds like a good product...I heard something about paying a one time fee for lifetime internet or some shit, and the speeds were actually decent.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Google Fiber sounds like a good product...I heard something about paying a one time fee for lifetime internet or some shit, and the speeds were actually decent.Yeah, you have to pay to get the fiber out to your house and you can't take it with you when you move.

Time Warner was going to boost its speeds across the line even before the merger. The Charter attempt to buy them sprang from the charge from Charter that the TWC board had no idea what they were doing in the face of fiber competition.

DJR210
02-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Hopefully they head to SA..not thrilled about TWC again..I called one of their sales reps just to check prices, I'm sure the rep didn't appreciate me shitting on TWC's crap "deals" during his shitty sales pitch. Maybe it was iLLUSioNteK I spoke to..