PDA

View Full Version : Man murders wife by ending life support

exstatic
08-03-2005, 08:51 PM
cnn story (http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/08/03/braindead.pregnancy.ap/index.html)

MaNuMaNiAc
08-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Are you serious??? murders?? THE WIFE WAS BRAIN DEAD!! hence LEGALLY DEAD!!

exstatic
08-03-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm just waiting for the righteous indignation from the right. Schaivo was brain dead, too. Where's Dubyah? Where's Tom DeLay?

Dre_7
08-04-2005, 05:24 AM
I'm just waiting for the righteous indignation from the right. Schaivo was brain dead, too. Where's Dubyah? Where's Tom DeLay?

This is different than Schaivo. This woman was on life support. Schaivo wasnt.

travis2
08-04-2005, 06:25 AM

Schiavo was not brain dead.

Learn the difference.

jochhejaam
08-04-2005, 06:35 AM

I remember the Schiavo's calling in Jesse Jackson who threw his support behind them being allowed to re-insert her feeding tubes.
Last I heard the Rev. Jackson was rooted in the Left.

My Grandfather passed away 3 years ago. He was 96 and had fallen and broken his hip and then got pneumonia. He wasn't brain dead but in addition to the hip and pneumonia he was almost blind and deaf. His life probably could have been extended by months and possibly years but my parents and all his brothers and sisters made a decision to not have a feeding tube inserted and he died peacefully 3 days later.

Life and Death decisions are tough on families and have nothing to do with political affiliation.

Sad that you use the tragic cancerous death of a 28 year old as fodder for a thread to satisfy your desire to see an uproar from the right.
I doubt your thirst for self-gratifying sensationalism will be satiated with this topic.

The Ressurrected One
08-04-2005, 07:23 AM
I think extatic's subject line could have more appropriately been:

"Man sustains dead wife's body artificially to preserve non-human goo."

Extra Stout
08-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Schiavo was not brain dead.

Learn the difference.Correct, she was NOT brain dead, though she only had the cognition of a nematode, if that.

BTW, did Florida ever change that law regarding end-of-life decisions? Because if they didn't one might tend to think that the whole thing was political grandstanding to a group of idiots. Smart advocacy groups might hold legislatures accountable to make laws and stuff.

cecil collins
08-04-2005, 09:24 AM
The religious right are the ones who used a families pain to promote their ethical agenda to begin with. Yet Bush can execute a mentally retarded man, and what's the fuss. My Grandfather had the plug pulled on him, and I have no reservations about it. It was my mom and her siblings choice, and probably a good one. He wouldn't have ever been self sustaining again, so why keep the machine on, thereby costing a bundle of money. Sorry about your loss, but the world doesn't revolve around you, and noone should be forced to tipytoe around the deceased.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 09:58 AM
I remember the Schiavo's calling in Jesse Jackson who threw his support behind them being allowed to re-insert her feeding tubes.
Last I heard the Rev. Jackson was rooted in the Left.

My Grandfather passed away 3 years ago. He was 96 and had fallen and broken his hip and then got pneumonia. He wasn't brain dead but in addition to the hip and pneumonia he was almost blind and deaf. His life probably could have been extended by months and possibly years but my parents and all his brothers and sisters made a decision to not have a feeding tube inserted and he died peacefully 3 days later.

Life and Death decisions are tough on families and have nothing to do with political affiliation.

Sad that you use the tragic cancerous death of a 28 year old as fodder for a thread to satisfy your desire to see an uproar from the right.
I doubt your thirst for self-gratifying sensationalism will be satiated with this topic.
Holy shit, I agree.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Correct, she was NOT brain dead, though she only had the cognition of a nematode, if that.

BTW, did Florida ever change that law regarding end-of-life decisions? Because if they didn't one might tend to think that the whole thing was political grandstanding to a group of idiots. Smart advocacy groups might hold legislatures accountable to make laws and stuff.
Ha!

Legislatures are too busy working with lobbyists.

Dre_7
08-04-2005, 02:01 PM
The religious right are the ones who used a families pain to promote their ethical agenda to begin with. Yet Bush can execute a mentally retarded man, and what's the fuss. My Grandfather had the plug pulled on him, and I have no reservations about it. It was my mom and her siblings choice, and probably a good one. He wouldn't have ever been self sustaining again, so why keep the machine on, thereby costing a bundle of money. Sorry about your loss, but the world doesn't revolve around you, and noone should be forced to tipytoe around the deceased.

Yup, you are right about keeping the machines on. But Schaivo was not on a life support machine! That is the difference.

Spurminator
08-04-2005, 02:10 PM
The family seemed to be in agreement here. I'm pretty sure that's why it's not as big an issue.

Plus, a lot of the protestors had to got back and get new jobs after skipping work for a week.

exstatic
08-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Newsflash: if you can't eat for yourself, and a machine that pushes food down a tube is inserted into your body, that's life support.

samikeyp
08-04-2005, 10:11 PM

well put. I wish more felt the same. Personally, my wife and I have discussed our options and we know what we want. God help the person that tried to prevent me from carrying out those wishes. No jury would convict me.