PDA

View Full Version : College major

blah blah blah
02-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Let's say you have to get a college degree but it would have no bearing on where you would be working afterwards. Maybe your pops is a billionaire and he just gives you a fortune for getting the degree and you never have to work a day in your life again. So basically you get to choose your degree by interest alone?

What would you major in?

daslicer
02-16-2014, 05:36 PM
In that situation I would major in psychology. I have always enjoyed reading psychology books. Thought about majoring in it in college but then decided against it when I realized job prospects for it wasn't very good.

CubanSucks
02-16-2014, 06:19 PM
History or philosophy. My cousin majored in philosophy :lol

FkLA
02-16-2014, 06:26 PM
engineering

Thread
02-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Journalism.

Clipper Nation
02-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Poli sci or journalism, tbh....

bigzak25
02-16-2014, 07:01 PM
2nd city.

baseline bum
02-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Probably physics

The Reckoning
02-16-2014, 07:46 PM
parties, drugs, sex and rock & roll.

general studies for like 10 years and then drop out.

Robz4000
02-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Philosophy or something in art.

kobe4life
02-16-2014, 08:15 PM
I would go to one of those schools where you could create a degree. My degree would be in NBA studies with a concentration on Kobe History.

CuckingFunt
02-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Let's say you have to get a college degree but it would have no bearing on where you would be working afterwards. Maybe your pops is a billionaire and he just gives you a fortune for getting the degree and you never have to work a day in your life again. So basically you get to choose your degree by interest alone?

What would you major in?

Art History. Same thing as my actual major.

Reck
02-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Computer Graphics design.

Something to do with animations and stuff computer-y

BUMP
02-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Math or philosophy

CubanSucks
02-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Wtf some of you are posting legit, promising majors. Why wouldn't you just do it?

BUMP
02-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Wtf some of you are posting legit, promising majors. Why wouldn't you just do it?

huh?

The only one who posted a promising major was FkLA, and it's well known that's his major IRL

DeadlyDynasty
02-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Journalism.

Crofl...that was my first Bachelors. It was a lot of fun but you make pauper wages afterwards. Fun career though but u'll be eating a lot of Ramen

Thread
02-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Crofl...that was my first Bachelors. It was a lot of fun but you make pauper wages afterwards. Fun career though but u'll be eating a lot of Ramen

I ate lots of beef for the past 40 years, but, I'm a writer & I did not write.

DMC
02-16-2014, 10:08 PM

What would you major in?

Molecular and Cellular Biology

Interesting shit

Or Fisheries and Wildlife

ashbeeigh
02-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Radio TV and Film or Public Relations. But I like my real majors of Psychology and Spanish and a masters in Social Work.

JMarkJohns
02-16-2014, 11:25 PM
Get my Doctorate in Philosophy in Mass Communication & Film Studies.

bigzak25
02-16-2014, 11:34 PM
If I can sleepwalk my way to an engineering degree, I'd be a master of improv. But I was 16...young and dumb...good at math...so I choose mechanical engineering. ...oh well. It pays da bills.

JMarkJohns
02-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Sports Architecture degree would be cool. Design Stadiums, Golf Courses, etc.

Have a friend who designs golf courses. Basically sounds like the greatest job in the world.

Rogue
02-17-2014, 12:25 AM
acting & directing would be my choice if I were given a 2nd chance no matter if it is for the real or ideal case, so I'd be able to procure a place in the movie industry and hopefully get a chance to work with Goddess someday :cry

Spur|n|Austin
02-17-2014, 01:57 AM
Pretty good question, tbh - In that scenario I'd say Advertising.

Blake
02-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Astronomy

DeadlyDynasty
02-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Astronomy
Yup, would have to agree here.

Blake
02-17-2014, 11:36 PM
engineering

You mean like at a real school?

TDMVPDPOY
02-17-2014, 11:47 PM
why isnt there a course on bullshit

cause alot of students fly through uni on bullshit talking

FkLA
02-18-2014, 01:43 AM
You mean like at a real school?

:lol butthurt

But yeah I guess if my dad was loaded I probably wouldve gave it a shot at a top school.

blkroadrunners
02-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Either Psychology or Sports Management

The Gemini Method
02-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Woman Studies or as was mentioned early Sports Architecture. Naw...fuck that! I'd study Oenology and Vitiology...have my pops bankroll a takeover of wineries and then dominate the wine trade.

Rogue
02-18-2014, 09:48 PM
gynecology/obstetrics ain't too bad either so you'd check even more pussies throughout your career than Chamberlain did throughout his lifetime, imho

Blake
02-19-2014, 01:06 PM
gynecology/obstetrics ain't too bad either so you'd check even more pussies throughout your career than Chamberlain did throughout his lifetime, imho

I'd be afraid it'd be like working at a donut shop where you get sick of donuts.

And we're not even talking about the bad donuts

The Reckoning
02-19-2014, 01:28 PM
I'd be afraid it'd be like working at a donut shop where you get sick of donuts.

And we're not even talking about the bad donuts

tbh i know a plastic surgeon who i went to the bars with. every convo he'd have with a girl, she'd start talking about her tits.

some girls i wouldn't want to hear about what goes on even further below though....

Spanklin
02-19-2014, 02:00 PM

What would you major in?

Why would I "earn" a piece of paper if it had no bearing on life? I've mastered just about every subject there is on my own outside of college and the only reason I'd be foolish enough to pay for it is for the proof some d.s. employer would require. Do you need a group of professors to hold your hand and half-ass train you in something?

pgardn
02-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Why would I "earn" a piece of paper if it had no bearing on life? I've mastered just about every subject there is on my own outside of college and the only reason I'd be foolish enough to pay for it is for the proof some d.s. employer would require. Do you need a group of professors to hold your hand and half-ass train you in something?

So your major would be Modesty.
Cool.
Since you did not master it on your own.

DMC
02-19-2014, 09:00 PM

lol thinking you can get the same education from Wiki and OJT as you can from a degree program at a reputable school. You and WC must be related. Learn a few buzz words, don't understand application or theory, just know how to push button A to make module A reset. That's master level stuff.

DMC
02-19-2014, 09:02 PM

As much as you hate the female genitalia, I don't see why you'd voluntarily venture into it, much less study it in depth.

DMC
02-19-2014, 09:04 PM

But yeah I guess if my dad was loaded I probably wouldve gave it a shot at a top school.

Wouldn't you want to learn river management, survival, evasion, resist and escape couple with auto body and paint and small engine repair? That seems like an ideal thing for some reason.

FkLA
02-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Wouldn't you want to learn river management, survival, evasion, resist and escape couple with auto body and paint and small engine repair? That seems like an ideal thing for some reason.

Oh hey thats really funny cause Im Mexican !

DPG21920
02-19-2014, 11:57 PM

Didn't you turn down UT for UTSA? I guess your dad didn't make even 55K since you had to go to UTSA?

FkLA
02-20-2014, 12:11 AM
Youd be correct, little man. Up until recently FkLA Sr. didnt make that much tbh.

CuckingFunt
02-20-2014, 01:53 AM
Youd be correct, little man. Up until recently FkLA Sr. didnt make that much tbh.

Did you laugh at him, too?

FkLA
02-20-2014, 02:33 AM
Did you laugh at him, too?

No, he made the most of the cards he was given in life. He wasn't given the chance to go to college and decided to major in something worthless like queer studies for example.

Rogue
02-20-2014, 09:07 AM
As much as you hate the female genitalia, I don't see why you'd voluntarily venture into it, much less study it in depth.

I don't actually hate it, shit just doesn't make no difference to me tbh. looking at a bitch's genitalia ain't feeling any different to me than watching a stack of dead fish.

DMC
02-20-2014, 11:00 AM
No, he made the most of the cards he was given in life. He wasn't given the chance to go to college and decided to major in something worthless like queer studies for example.

Zing!

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-20-2014, 11:48 AM
I pretty much did like CuckingFunt. Given a blank check I would major in history. Given the decidedly non-blank check that I got I still majored in history. Billion dollars or not it's pretty much the only subject I'd bother showing up for for four years.

DarrinS
02-20-2014, 11:58 AM
Didn't you turn down UT for UTSA? I guess your dad didn't make even 55K since you had to go to UTSA?

If it's undergrad, it's a wash, IMHO. Unless my kids gets some full scholarship, they're going to community college for a couple of years and then probably UTSA to finish. Otherwise, you're just wasting money.

DarrinS
02-20-2014, 12:00 PM
College tuition is STUPIDLY expensive these days.

If you just want knowledge, here it is --> http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

Blake
02-20-2014, 12:03 PM
If it's undergrad, it's a wash, IMHO. Unless my kids gets some full scholarship, they're going to community college for a couple of years and then probably UTSA to finish. Otherwise, you're just wasting money.

Agree 100%

Spanklin
02-20-2014, 01:39 PM
lol thinking you can get the same education from Wiki and OJT as you can from a degree program at a reputable school. You and WC must be related. Learn a few buzz words, don't understand application or theory, just know how to push button A to make module A reset. That's master level stuff.

That's not how true understanding is come upon. Learning takes initiative and figuring all minute details out on your own and not by somebody holding your hand. I'm not discounting the importance of classical training, just that I see it wholly unnecessary if the intent is merely to learn something new.

Your acting like individuals cannot do this without a babysitter is a slap in the face of most our greatest achievers.

OTOH, most people are way too biased to set about learning anything without professional help.

I. Hustle
02-20-2014, 01:39 PM
LOL @ Psychology, philosophy and art history degrees.

DMC
02-20-2014, 02:01 PM
That's not how true understanding is come upon. Learning takes initiative and figuring all minute details out on your own and not by somebody holding your hand. I'm not discounting the importance of classical training, just that I see it wholly unnecessary if the intent is merely to learn something new.

Your acting like individuals cannot do this without a babysitter is a slap in the face of most our greatest achievers.

OTOH, most people are way too biased to set about learning anything without professional help.

The OP isn't about learning something new. It's about "College Major". I don't think anyone here would enroll in a degree program to learn a hobby.

I. Hustle
02-20-2014, 02:11 PM
I would major in bowling