PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Trying to trade for Kevin Love

monosylab1k
02-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Kevin Love's agent throws the Mavs' name into the story to get LA to bid against itself. Dallas is literally mentioned in the first sentence and never again.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24447626/sources-lakers-mavs-maneuvering-for-kevin-love

The Lakers and Mavericks are trying to assemble trade offers for prospective free agent Kevin Love, but thus far the Timberwolves have given no indication they'll consider moving the All-Star forward by Thursday's deadline, league sources told CBSSports.com.

Love will be a free agent in 2015, and it is widely known around the league that he and his agent, New York-based Jeff Schwartz, are determined to get him to a major market. The Lakers, Love's first choice, "have the best shot" of landing the Southern California native, one person familiar with the player's thinking said. There is no incentive in the CBA for Love to sign an extension with Minnesota before he has a chance to decline his player option and hit the open market in July 2015.

Giving up significant assets for Love would be problematic for any team that isn't confident it will be able to sign him when he becomes a free agent. That is obviously not an issue for the Lakers.

Still, other teams are said to be feverishly pursuing a premium first-round pick that could be included in a package for Love, a three-time All-Star who is fourth in the league in scoring (25.8 points per game) and second in rebounding (13.2).

In the end, it will fall on Timberwolves president Flip Saunders to pull the trigger on a Love deal or wait him out and hope he's able to turn the franchise's fortunes around in time to persuade him to stay. Minnesota has yet to make the playoffs in Love's five seasons and is likely headed to the lottery again this year.

According to a person familiar with Saunders' strategy, he has indicated there is "no way" he will trade Love by Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline.

Any Lakers offer would have to include Pau Gasol, whose $19.3 million contract comes off the books this summer. Rival executives believe the Lakers' best chance of moving Gasol is to a team that views him as worthy re-signing to a more reasonable deal this summer -- not as a rental. The Lakers also can offer their 2014 first-round pick, which has value. With Kobe Bryant out indefinitely, the Lakers are tied for the fourth-worst record in the league.

During All-Star weekend, Bryant said the Lakers having cap space this summer is "right in their wheelhouse" and said he's confident GM Mitch Kupchak would make the moves necessary for a "quick turnaround." LA currently has room to sign a max free agent this summer, but could opt to acquire one via trade and then make more moves in 2015-16, Bryant's final season under contract.

Topics: Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Lakers, Minnesota Timberwolves, NBA
ABOUT KEN BERGER
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
GOOGLE+
RSS
author photoBefore joining CBSSports.com, Ken Berger covered the NBA for Newsday. The Long Island, N.Y., native has also worked for the Associated Press and can be seen on SportsNet New York. Catch Ken every Saturday, when he hosts Eye on Basketball from 6-8 p.m. ET on cbssportsradio.com

Trainwreck2100
02-18-2014, 07:41 PM
:lol the lakers don't have shit to give

Thread
02-18-2014, 07:41 PM
I think Berger is full of shit on the legality of the Lakers trading their first rounder. You can't trade consecutive first rounders, that's why the Suns had to stagger the 2 first rounders for Nash.

Mel_13
02-18-2014, 08:29 PM
I think Berger is full of shit on the legality of the Lakers trading their first rounder. You can't trade consecutive first rounders, that's why the Suns had to stagger the 2 first rounders for Nash.

They can't trade their 2014 pick outright, but they could give Minny the right to swap 2014 picks.

UZER
02-18-2014, 08:31 PM
:lol Kobe talking about cap space

Mel_13
02-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Or they could trade their 2014 pick if they first acquire someone else's 2014 first rounder.

sook
02-18-2014, 08:47 PM
They gonna beg for another player that isn't possibly going to be traded there? :lol

DeadlyDynasty
02-18-2014, 08:59 PM
The white Dwight Howard loves the LA area tbh.

whitemamba
02-18-2014, 09:33 PM

Kobes my nigga, but uzer is right on this one.

Rogue
02-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Giving up significant assets for Love would be problematic for any team that isn't confident it will be able to sign him when he becomes a free agent. That is obviously not an issue for the Lakers.

Oh, really?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDDQ4_R-UeU7kc7mdHr1McZ0Xzp_ON4PpizqY8nWLCKLIXIYEMIBx0333d http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwUunwv1G59nAvpiqofrCUTbXIQqTeK edUt9pQ1VFHP5hvYlq7hMdaVMI

Killakobe81
02-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Meh, who cares without Durant or Lebron it won't matter ...

redzero's Baby Momma
02-18-2014, 11:17 PM
rofl LA going from the black Kevin Love to the real Kevin Love

Fabbs
02-19-2014, 01:16 PM
"People think it's so far-fetched that I would stay in Minnesota," Love told GQ magazine. "And I'm not s------- on the Lakers, but we [the Timberwolves] have the better team, the better foundation. I'm having fun."

Gummi Clutch
02-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Oh, really?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDDQ4_R-UeU7kc7mdHr1McZ0Xzp_ON4PpizqY8nWLCKLIXIYEMIBx0333d http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwUunwv1G59nAvpiqofrCUTbXIQqTeK edUt9pQ1VFHP5hvYlq7hMdaVMIwho is that in your avi?

Indazone
02-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Lakers brokeback team has nothing of value. Broken Kobe, Broken Nash, Broken Xavier, Broken Gasol, Broken Farmar. Lakeshow about as irrelevant as they have ever been. Only asset worth trading for Love is Gasol and that's not even a fair trade. No way the Wolves do that trade and Mark Cuban has more assets than the Lakers. Lakersfans fawning over Love will be left crying boohoo! :grim:

The Batman
02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Lakers brokeback team has nothing of value. Broken Kobe, Broken Nash, Broken Xavier, Broken Gasol, Broken Farmar. Lakeshow about as irrelevant as they have ever been. Only asset worth trading for Love is Gasol and that's not even a fair trade. No way the Wolves do that trade and Mark Cuban has more assets than the Lakers. Lakersfans fawning over Love will be left crying boohoo! :grim:
10,000 posts and you still post like a bitch.

Mugen
02-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Hopefully Love is a Laker after next season tbh. Would be a very Fredo move to swap 2014 picks for a guy they can easily get through Free Agency.

Clipper Nation
02-19-2014, 03:12 PM
But in a recent interview, Love said he enjoys playing for the Minnesota Timberwolves and compared his team favorably to the Lakers.

"People think it's so far-fetched that I would stay in Minnesota," Love told GQ. "And I'm not s------- on the Lakers, but we have the better team, the better foundation. I'm having fun."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10482450/kevin-love-says-minnesota-timberwolves-better-team-los-angeles-lakers

:lmao Another Fredo Begging attempt fails

Rogue
02-19-2014, 05:49 PM
who is that in your avi?
welcome to the earth...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0424060/

She's a Goddess sent down to the earth as a gift for the entire human race :cry

Gummi Clutch
02-19-2014, 05:53 PM
welcome to the earth...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0424060/

She's a Goddess sent down to the earth as a gift for the entire human race :cry
Oh shit!! I remember her from the island, was amazing in that movie....

Keeley Hazel and Kate Beckinsale are the true goddesses though, tbh.

This chick is like runner up goddess.

Rogue
02-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Oh shit!! I remember her from the island, was amazing in that movie....

Keeley Hazel and Kate Beckinsale are the true goddesses though, tbh.

This chick is like runner up goddess.

I have a story to back up her "goddess" status though, in which I described her as a daughter of Apollo so she's legitimately a "Goddess" tbh.

Gummi Clutch
02-19-2014, 06:13 PM
I have a story to back up her "goddess" status though, in which I described her as a daughter of Apollo so she's legitimately a "Goddess" tbh.
can't argue with that.

POPownsJackson
02-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Wht god powers is she posess?

Rogue
02-20-2014, 09:26 AM
can't argue with that.
krofl I thought someone changed my screen name and favorite team when I first saw this post tbh :lmao

welcome to our Goddess fan Club bro, and congrats to you for becoming a proud fan of our Goddess :toast

02-20-2014, 10:08 AM
can't argue with that.obvious rouge alt is obvious

Suspect
02-20-2014, 11:33 AM
this nigga is for real talking to himself

DMC
02-20-2014, 11:36 AM

That's what caught my eye as well. That's like Howard talking about birth control.

DMC
02-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Hopefully Love is a Laker after next season tbh. Would be a very Fredo move to swap 2014 picks for a guy they can easily get through Free Agency.

Love is a pig in a poke if you're thinking about winning a championship. He's a stat whore, so if you put him in a situation where he has to sacrifice a rebound to get a stop, you don't know how he's going to react.

Rogue
02-20-2014, 09:54 PM
obvious rouge alt is obvious
I have no troll account since LM got banned like a year ago, tbh.