PDA

View Full Version : O-Boards, like defense, wins games.

tim_duncan_fan
02-19-2014, 01:22 AM
I was watching a Clippers broadcast and one of their game callers said we were bottom five in offensive rebounding.

No wonder we suck usually and no wonder we won tonight when we were better in this area.

Juggity
02-19-2014, 01:35 AM
Offensive rebounding has never been a priority for Pop. It's always been a part of his defensive philosophy to get back on defense rather than try for the offensive rebound and I tend to agree with him.

SpursFan86
02-19-2014, 01:35 AM
Focusing on offensive boards usually results in worse transition D, though.

Fireball
02-19-2014, 01:41 AM
We won this game because we did not allow alley oops ... griffin only got 1 dunk ... crowd had no fuel

SpurPadre
02-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Offensive rebounding has never been a priority for Pop. It's always been a part of his defensive philosophy to get back on defense rather than try for the offensive rebound and I tend to agree with him.
That's good and all but it would also help to at least focus on denying a second chance opportunity on the other end with a championship on the line by having your best rebounder on the floor who also happens to be the best power forward of all time but I guess that's just me.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-19-2014, 01:44 AM
Offensive rebounding percentage does not correlate to wins particularly.

freetiago
02-19-2014, 01:52 AM
Offensive rebounding doesnt have much to do with transition defense tbh..
Indiana does both well and so does Chicago
Im sure Memphis does as well at least when they had elite defensive numbers the past 2 years

the real reason SA doesnt crash the boards is because guys like Duncan cant run the floor well and get back in time if they do miss the offensive board which leads to mismatches
it happened multiple times in the first half this game with Griffin getting a lot of fast break layups or passes for open 3s

Pop actually changed the rebounding strategy a bit in the playoffs where he had Leonard sit underneath the basket even on offense just so he could be in offensive rebounding position
Leonard was the only one who he did that for because he is athletic enough to still get back and contest even if he misses the rebound