PDA

View Full Version : Google Nexus 5 (LG)

Cry Havoc
02-19-2014, 08:38 PM
FINALLY got my phone upgraded from the POS Evo 3D I was using (phone was decent, but the software was awful and I was too lazy to throw a new ROM on it).

Man. This phone is the business. Fastest mobile device I've ever used. It just doesn't slow down for anything.

Even with the new Galaxy S5 and HTC M8 or whatever it gets called, I can't see them topping this phone. Vanilla Android is seriously incredible.

lefty
02-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Oh look another Nexus 5 thread.

I mean congrats son.

And CROFL HTC, never again

lefty
02-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Well Nexus phones are nice, especially at a great price point for unlocked, contract-free, devices.

But the camera is meh and I like the fact that I can add a 64 gb micro SD.

And stock Android, while unbloated, lighter and faster than OEM's softwares, is too boring and featureless for me.

But, if you rarely use a camera, don't give a fuck about the fancy features, have an unlimited data plan (so you don't need to store your music on your phone) then yeah the Nexus is a no brainer.

Would I take a Nexus over a Samsung?
No, but its just a personal preference, I'm not saying one is better than the other.

BUT I would definitely take a Nexus over an HTC, that's for sure.

And for an OEM, Samsung shits on HTC when it comes to software updates

Phillip
02-20-2014, 12:25 AM
HTC One >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GS4

Not even close.

Cry Havoc
02-20-2014, 03:46 AM
Well Nexus phones are nice, especially at a great price point for unlocked, contract-free, devices.

But the camera is meh and I like the fact that I can add a 64 gb micro SD.

Honestly, there's not a camera in a cell phone that's worth a damn to me except for maybe the Lumia. Even they are pretty borderline. I usually shoot with a DSLR, and I've yet to see a cell phone that can reliably keep up with a decent point and shoot, therefore the camera really isn't an interesting feature to me as far as quality goes. If it takes an "ok" image for a cell phone, that's all I really want.

And stock Android, while unbloated, lighter and faster than OEM's softwares, is too boring and featureless for me.

Agreed, but there is SOOOOOOOO much going on in the dev community right now to jam stock android full of features. This phone is getting rooted by the weekend. There are already dozens of ROMs with it. And honestly most of the bloatware feature stuff isn't worth it, especially some of the ridiculous shit they put on the S4.

Would I take a Nexus over a Samsung?
No, but its just a personal preference, I'm not saying one is better than the other.

I had a choice and went with the Nexus, mostly because I think in 12-16 months it's going to be a much faster, future-proofed phone. I can see the S4 showing it's age by that time.

BUT I would definitely take a Nexus over an HTC, that's for sure.

HTC nailed the build quality of the One, that's for sure. Honestly, aside from the questionable camera, I think the One is better than the S4 in just about every way. Sense is much less boggy than Touchwiz.

And for an OEM, Samsung shits on HTC when it comes to software updates

Eh, they're okay. HTC is decent at times, my old Evo LTE was getting updates fairly frequently before it got destroyed. Sammy's a little better in this department, but Sense is still > Touchwiz by a healthy margin.

Not even close.

I'd hesitantly agree. The S4's saving grace is that it's actually got a really decent camera for a cell phone. That matters to people.

TDMVPDPOY
02-20-2014, 10:30 AM
shouldve waited for more release info on the sammy s5 out in a few more days, then official release would be in march

lefty
02-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Honestly, there's not a camera in a cell phone that's worth a damn to me except for maybe the Lumia. Even they are pretty borderline. I usually shoot with a DSLR, and I've yet to see a cell phone that can reliably keep up with a decent point and shoot, therefore the camera really isn't an interesting feature to me as far as quality goes. If it takes an "ok" image for a cell phone, that's all I really want.

Agreed, but there is SOOOOOOOO much going on in the dev community right now to jam stock android full of features. This phone is getting rooted by the weekend. There are already dozens of ROMs with it. And honestly most of the bloatware feature stuff isn't worth it, especially some of the ridiculous shit they put on the S4.

I had a choice and went with the Nexus, mostly because I think in 12-16 months it's going to be a much faster, future-proofed phone. I can see the S4 showing it's age by that time.

HTC nailed the build quality of the One, that's for sure. Honestly, aside from the questionable camera, I think the One is better than the S4 in just about every way. Sense is much less boggy than Touchwiz.

Eh, they're okay. HTC is decent at times, my old Evo LTE was getting updates fairly frequently before it got destroyed. Sammy's a little better in this department, but Sense is still > Touchwiz by a healthy margin.

I'd hesitantly agree. The S4's saving grace is that it's actually got a really decent camera for a cell phone. That matters to people.
TBH I don't think the HTC One is better than the S4

It does have better speakers, but who uses them on a regular basis?

As for the build quality, while it's nice, it's not an important criteria for

I had an iPhone 4 and the HTC One S; they do have great build quality, but if I prefer Samsung phones so much that the plastic doesn't bother me at all

When it comes to OS, yes Sense is much less bloated than TW, but I prefer TW's functionality

And as for adding features on a Nexus, I agree, root and flash the bitch; should be easy since it's a dev phone (and if you can root and flash on an HTC, you can do it with any other phone)

Phillip
02-20-2014, 11:56 AM
When it comes to OS, yes Sense is much less bloated than TW, but I prefer TW's functionality

What functionality? Sensing your eyes when watching youtube or reading? :lmao all samsung does is make gimmicky crap that sound cool but 95% of people don't use

werent you an apple fanboy previously? I guess if you can come to your senses on that one, you can come to your senses on this one as well.

lefty
02-20-2014, 12:06 PM
What functionality? Sensing your eyes when watching youtube or reading? :lmao all samsung does is make gimmicky crap that sound cool but 95% of people don't use

werent you an apple fanboy previously? I guess if you can come to your senses on that one, you can come to your senses on this one as well.
Im not talking about the sensor related stuff

DJR210
02-20-2014, 12:19 PM

Not even close.

Why do you prefer the HTC One? It was a toss up for me because I've always bought HTC, but the screen on the S4 was just too nice for me to not to switch.

resistanze
02-20-2014, 01:09 PM
This is how I broke down my choice b/w the S4 and One
- S4 is slightly faster, but barely
- One is a beautifully constructed phone (so was my One X+), but all my phones go into a nice case
- Expandable memory matters for me
- For a point-and-shoot in day, the S4 is great. Took awesome photos in Europe (used DSLR for night time/when I wanted amazing photos)
- fuck HTC for locking down phones. Couldn't install even CM on my One X+, they lost my business lasy year even though the One was hackable

In terms of future proofing? Eh as long as you have AOSP your phone will be fine for 2-3 years. Heck, the S2 I gave to my father running 4.4.2 Carbon is almost as fast as my S4.

TW vs Sense is irrelevant to me since I use modded AOSP (BeanStalk is more feature-rich than either TW/Sense imo). But I couldn't stand either Sense or TW.

Phillip
02-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Why do you prefer the HTC One? It was a toss up for me because I've always bought HTC, but the screen on the S4 was just too nice for me to not to switch.

And I was the other way around, I generally didn't like HTC before, and was more with Samsung stuff, until the One.

I played with both in a store before I made my choice, and I enjoyed the One much better.

The S4 had some neat features most definitely, but I knew I wasn't going to make much if any use of them. I also knew I was going to root whichever phone I got and put a custom rom on it, getting rid of whatever "features" either phone came with. So at that point, it became all about the physical aspects of the phone, and for that I preferred the One. The screen is big, bright, and looks natural (unlike Samsung screens that are WAY to colorful) without being too big and akward feeling. The construction is the closest you will find to an iPhone, and felt great in the hand. The high quality stereo speakers are really nice, and I use them quite frequently.

Yeah, it doesn't have expandable memory, but 32 gigs is plenty for me, especially since I use cloud storage for so many things. I would rather my phone feel solid and well constructed as long as I have a solid amount of space. It's not like they only give you 8 gigs or some crap like that.

The camera has less megapixels sure, but the quality is still very solid, and low light situations look infinitely better than any other camera out there. And the camera is just fast. It doesn't take forever to focus like other phones. If I wanted a world-class quality picture, I don't plan on using my phone. I have a separate camera for that. But for quick snapshots for memories and such, the One's camera is perfect.

lefty
02-20-2014, 01:53 PM
This is how I broke down my choice b/w the S4 and One
- S4 is slightly faster, but barely
- One is a beautifully constructed phone (so was my One X+), but all my phones go into a nice case
- Expandable memory matters for me
- For a point-and-shoot in day, the S4 is great. Took awesome photos in Europe (used DSLR for night time/when I wanted amazing photos)
- fuck HTC for locking down phones. Couldn't install even CM on my One X+, they lost my business lasy year even though the One was hackable

In terms of future proofing? Eh as long as you have AOSP your phone will be fine for 2-3 years. Heck, the S2 I gave to my father running 4.4.2 Carbon is almost as fast as my S4.

TW vs Sense is irrelevant to me since I use modded AOSP (BeanStalk is more feature-rich than either TW/Sense imo). But I couldn't stand either Sense or TW.
I haven't rooted my S4 yet :lmao

Trainwreck2100
02-20-2014, 01:57 PM
i'm on my 5th htc 4g evo lte, so fuck htc

lefty
02-20-2014, 02:20 PM
i'm on my 5th htc 4g evo lte, so fuck htc
It's getting official 4.3 by the way

http://www.phonedog.com/2014/02/19/htc-posts-evo-4g-lte-android-4-3-update-file-sheds-light-on-kitkat-timing-for-at-t-and-t-mobile-ones/

resistanze
02-20-2014, 03:32 PM
I haven't rooted my S4 yet :lmao

Man pass revoked

lefty
02-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Man pass revoked
no

People who have rooted an HTC have manhood immunity for life.

resistanze
02-20-2014, 03:51 PM
no

:lol

lefty
02-20-2014, 03:54 PM
:lol
but srsly, what are Beanstalk "cool" features? do they use the sensor and shit?

And how is the (modded I guess) camera ? have they ported the TW cam on it?

resistanze
02-20-2014, 04:09 PM
but srsly, what are Beanstalk "cool" features? do they use the sensor and shit?

And how is the (modded I guess) camera ? have they ported the TW cam on it?

- Lockscreen notifications (can't use a rom w/o it now)
- PIE
- HALO
- Gesture Anywhere (tap section of screen, customize gesture for each app. sounds complicated but when it's set up you multitask waaay faster than any other method)
- built in wakelock blocker
- custom DPI - love S4 @ 440 DPI
- host of other mods

I haven't keep a close eye on camera but I know it's modded from AOSP stock. Honestly, Since 4.4.2 I don't see much differences in camera even on stock. But some features are 'Tru view, antibanding, wavelet denoise mode, face detection, AE-bracketing, etc

lefty
02-20-2014, 04:51 PM
- PIE
- HALO
- Gesture Anywhere (tap section of screen, customize gesture for each app. sounds complicated but when it's set up you multitask waaay faster than any other method)
- host of other mods

I haven't keep a close eye on camera but I know it's modded from AOSP stock. Honestly, Since 4.4.2 I don't see much differences in camera even on stock. But some features are 'Tru view, antibanding, wavelet denoise mode, face detection, AE-bracketing, etc
thanks a lot

Lots of goodies, except for PIE and HALO which I don't care for

Drachen
02-20-2014, 06:42 PM
no

I've rooted four HTC models and I am not immune to manhood. I think that is just an affliction of you.

leemajors
02-20-2014, 06:52 PM
- PIE
- HALO
- host of other mods

I looked up Gesture Anywhere and it reminded me of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on the DS :lol

lefty
02-20-2014, 08:32 PM
I've rooted four HTC models and I am not immune to manhood. I think that is just an affliction of you.
no I meant immunity to ...

nevermind

resistanze
02-20-2014, 09:24 PM
I looked up Gesture Anywhere and it reminded me of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on the DS :lol

Tried to see what you meant on YT, only say a map on the second screen tbh

leemajors
02-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Tried to see what you meant on YT, only say a map on the second screen tbh

you had to draw out patterns to beat bosses on the second screen with the stylus. other than that the game was pretty good

leemajors
02-21-2014, 09:08 AM
you had to draw out patterns to beat bosses on the second screen with the stylus. other than that the game was pretty good

I was wrong, the drawing was on the bottom screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pCHN6exbYQ

He does it about 16 seconds in then fails for several more minutes.