PDA

View Full Version : If Memphis gets the 8th seed theyre going to upset OKC

02-22-2014, 01:00 AM
If OKC holds on to the #1 seed, and meet MEM they will get bounced in the first round. Calling it now. :wakeup

Spursfanfromafar
02-22-2014, 01:03 AM
No.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-22-2014, 01:04 AM
I can see it happening tbh

Robz4000
02-22-2014, 01:09 AM
I think OKC wins but they'd put the fear of God into Durbeta and co.

Sean Cagney
02-22-2014, 01:19 AM
I doubt they beat OKC again this year with a healthy Russell, but I would hope they could! That would be great.

Clipper Nation
02-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Refs won't allow MethKC to lose in the first round, tbh....

Raven
02-22-2014, 01:24 AM
no way in hell, memphis is a destroyed team full of holes.

scanry
02-22-2014, 01:33 AM
That team lost it's identity with Hollins tbh. They are fodder material now.

Josh810
02-22-2014, 01:35 AM
This is stupid, calling it now.

Spurs da champs
02-22-2014, 02:02 AM
That team lost it's identity with Hollins tbh. They are fodder material now.

:lol They're the number 3 ranked defense & are playing quite well, especially considering they were without Gasol for most of the season. Same identity, tbh.

cd021
02-22-2014, 02:06 AM
Spurs would have the toughest match up in the 1st round if it started today...GSW

MeloHype
02-22-2014, 02:07 AM
Durant will shoot 25+ free throws per game, Allen & Gasol will foul out every game

cd021
02-22-2014, 02:09 AM
:lol They're the number 3 ranked defense & are playing quite well, especially considering they were without Gasol for most of the season. Same identity, tbh.

They're 10th in defensive rating, Memphis was 3rd last season. They also ranked 17th in O rating last year and 18th this year.

They play with a slow pace. Fewer possessions to defend, skews the opp. points per game. Thats why they look so good in that department.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MEM/2014.html

Spurs da champs
02-22-2014, 02:12 AM
They're 10th in defensive rating, Memphis was 3rd last season. They also ranked 17th in O rating last year and 18th this year.

They play with a slow pace. Fewer possessions to defend, skews the opp. points per game. Thats why they look so good in that department.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MEM/2014.html
Tony Allen ( one of the better perimeter defenders) & Marc Gasol (DPOY) have missed a huge chunk of the season, they're now both back, expect that rating to go up. Them being sso good defensively despite the injuries is impressive.

cd021
02-22-2014, 02:14 AM
no way in hell, memphis is a destroyed team full of holes.

Then again, Brooks isn't that great of a coach. If I were him. I'd play Durant ,almost,exclusively at the 4 in a potential series. Have him set a bunch of screens for Jackson and Westbrook, and watch Randolph look like lost child in choosing who to try defend.

He also starts one of the worst centers in the league when Collision is significantly better.

dg7md
02-22-2014, 02:15 AM
The Grizz match up well to OKC. I don't know if they'll upset them, but they'd probably make a long-winded series out of it.

It'd be really wishful thinking to hope for that, not so much based on facts. We don't match up well to OKC well at all, thus their record against us in the playoffs.

cd021
02-22-2014, 02:18 AM
Tony Allen & Marc Gasol also missed a huge chunk of the season, they're now both back, expect that rating to go up.

Valid point but they did struggle on that end to start the season. They may be better than 10th defensively but probably can realistically jump to 7-8th at this point. They are working with several new ,to the rotation, players (Koufous, Lee, Calathis, Davis, and Miller). Offense is still the major concern.

SpurPadre
02-22-2014, 02:36 AM
Spurs would have the toughest match up in the 1st round if it started today...GSW
We beat them with our c team @ Oakland. It would be a tough Match up but we're in their heads. 4th vs. 5th seed will definitely be the toughest matchup regardless.

Sean Cagney
02-22-2014, 02:46 AM
The Grizz match up well to OKC. I don't know if they'll upset them, but they'd probably make a long-winded series out of it.

It'd be really wishful thinking to hope for that, not so much based on facts. We don't match up well to OKC well at all, thus their record against us in the playoffs.

You should have said reg season this year, they only met us one time in the playoffs! When they met Memphis last year they were without Russell! I agree Memphis does match up better with them though it seems. It's all about matchups at times, period end of story. We matchup well with a few teams some do now, vice versa.

Darius McCrary
02-22-2014, 02:49 AM
Any team has a conceivable shot at another in the West.

That's the beauty of being in the greatest conference in basketball...

jimbo
02-22-2014, 03:46 AM
Any team has a conceivable shot at another in the West.

That's the beauty of being in the greatest conference in basketball...

False. The Thunder are the only contender in the West.

:lol at being a contender with Jeff Ayres in the rotation

Rest of the teams aren't worth mentioning

KaiRMD1
02-22-2014, 04:52 AM
Wouldn't be surprised

Robz4000
02-22-2014, 06:18 AM
False. The Thunder are the only contender in the West.

:lol at being a contender with Jeff Ayres in the rotation

Rest of the teams aren't worth mentioning

Thunder aren't a contender either; the West has no contenders this year. Its a two horse race between Indy and Miami.

SupremeGuy
02-22-2014, 07:47 AM
I hope not. I want our squad at full strength to rape them at their full strength.

cd021
02-22-2014, 08:01 AM
We beat them with our c team @ Oakland. It would be a tough Match up but we're in their heads. 4th vs. 5th seed will definitely be the toughest matchup regardless.

I doubt "we're in their heads" Miami beat us ,with Wade and James sitting, at home with Bosh leading the team in scoring and hitting a game winning 3. We almost beat them without Parker, Green, Leonard, Ginobili and Duncan. All of that and we took them to game 7 in the Finals.

GSW has struggled on offense of late but could be one of the tougher opponents we've played in the 1st round.

exstatic
02-22-2014, 09:40 AM

4-2? You running up the white flag at 4-2? The fact is that they ran one play over and over triggered by a man who is no longer in the team: Harden feeding a KD/RW pick and roll, and they STILL needed a ridiculously clutch 3 pointer under 15 seconds to beat us in game 5...by that same man that isn't there any more. If we win that game 5, we win in 6.

I think RW's injury last year covered up how badly that 40 cents on the dollar trade of Harden hurt them, but I think we're going to expose that this year.

Texas_Ranger
02-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Yes if Durant breaks his legs.

SpurPadre
02-22-2014, 02:55 PM
I doubt "we're in their heads" Miami beat us ,with Wade and James sitting, at home with Bosh leading the team in scoring and hitting a game winning 3. We almost beat them without Parker, Green, Leonard, Ginobili and Duncan. All of that and we took them to game 7 in the Finals.

GSW has struggled on offense of late but could be one of the tougher opponents we've played in the 1st round.
You're leaving out our record against the Dubs, especially at San Antonio. We're in their heads and even their coach has admitted to it. I live the SF Bay area and have heard it myself from most Warrior fans. I respect them but as long as we're healthy, they shouldn't pose a real threat to us compared to how other teams would in the first round.

Mel_13
02-22-2014, 02:58 PM

If they make the playoffs.

Seventyniner
02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
I think Memphis was hanging around #22 in DRtg without Gasol and are up to 10th now. They are still a legit top 3 defense when healthy. They're also a legit #20 or so offense.

look_at_g_shred
02-22-2014, 06:48 PM
4-2? You running up the white flag at 4-2? The fact is that they ran one play over and over triggered by a man who is no longer in the team: Harden feeding a KD/RW pick and roll, and they STILL needed a ridiculously clutch 3 pointer under 15 seconds to beat us in game 5...by that same man that isn't there any more. If we win that game 5, we win in 6.

I think RW's injury last year covered up how badly that 40 cents on the dollar trade of Harden hurt them, but I think we're going to expose that this year.
This year, Jackson/Lamb/Fisher play the harden role. We have no answer for them.

DeadlyDynasty
02-22-2014, 06:51 PM
exstatic is such a horrible, liberal faggot of a poster, tbh:lol

San Antonio would get destroyed by OKC, per the usual. Every spurfan with a lick of sense is praying to God the OP is right.

look_at_g_shred
02-22-2014, 06:56 PM
exstatic (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=20) is such a horrible, liberal faggot of a poster, tbh:lol

San Antonio would get destroyed by OKC, per the usual. Every spurfan with a lick of sense is praying to God the OP is right. +1

exstatic
02-22-2014, 06:56 PM
exstatic is such a horrible, liberal faggot of a poster, tbh:lol

San Antonio would get destroyed by OKC, per the usual. Every spurfan with a lick of sense is praying to God the OP is right.

You're not even a good laker troll.

exstatic
02-22-2014, 06:58 PM
This year, Jackson/Lamb/Fisher play the harden role. We have no answer for them.

Oh Dear God. I tremble in fear at the troika of Jackson/Lamb/Fisher, veritable basketball Gods. All of them together are about 35% of Harden. :lol

DeadlyDynasty
02-22-2014, 07:00 PM
You're not even a good laker troll.

Please enlighten us, bro. What matchups in an OKC series do the the Spurs have that they can exploit/gain a decisive advantage? I'm all ears.

look_at_g_shred
02-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Oh Dear God. I tremble in fear at the troika of Jackson/Lamb/Fisher, veritable basketball Gods. All of them together are about 35% of Harden. :lol
Dude have u even watched them against us this year? Doing us dirtier than Harden could tbh...

Clipper Nation
02-22-2014, 07:03 PM
exstatic (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=20) is such a horrible, liberal faggot of a poster, tbh:lol

*Ayres does literally anything on the court*

"UH HUH!!!!"

DeadlyDynasty
02-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Please enlighten us, bro. What matchups in an OKC series do the the Spurs have that they can exploit/gain a decisive advantage? I'm all ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2KVj2vVxUs

cd021
02-22-2014, 08:44 PM

Not destroyed, but alot has to go right. We make have to do some human sacrifices just to win a game in OKC.

weeks
02-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Okc is scary as fuck this year. Plus we haven't proven we can beat them when it counts. The valor part of me would prefer meeting them in the WCF and getting revenge...but the discretion part of me just hopes they get tumbled off by a bad matchup

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-22-2014, 11:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2KVj2vVxUs

Are you serious? Our bench shits on them. Not to mention Thabo is horrible along with Perk... and Duncan >> Ibaka.

DMC
02-23-2014, 01:36 AM
Memphis has no reason to win and plenty of excuses to lose.

They won't upset OKC. We swept them and OKC was better than us last season minus the injury. Memphis didn't get better.

DMC
02-23-2014, 01:38 AM

Who are you kidding? We cannot even stop Reggie fucking Jackson. They might as well put out a red carpet from the halfcourt to the rim as much as Jackson strolls down it untouched. Spurs don't stand a chance against a healthy OKC. I don't know that the Heat do either, in a 7 game series unless RW goes hero mode and OKC becomes a jumpshooting team.

rmt
02-23-2014, 08:42 AM
I don't think we have a great shot even if Westbrooke doesn't play. Reggie Jackson kills them. Sport is about match ups. SAS don't match up well with OKC. OKC doesn't match up well with MIA. MIA doesn't matchup well with IND. So by virtue of which conference we're in - I predict OKC over SAS and IND over MIA with OKC over IND. Sure wish some team would take out OKC for the Spurs and since MEM has offensive bigs and defensive wings, they have as good a shot. Of course, they'd have to make the playoffs and last night didn't help.

From the Spurs POV, if they somehow got to the Finals, it sure would be nicer to see IND there instead of MIA. IND would be on such a high after beating MIA that they'd be vulnerable the first game - nice time to grab home court from them. Besides, I think I'd rather pin my hopes on Duncan, Splitter and Diaw defending IND bigs than Spurs' non-bigs defending MIA's (it's be a small ball series from the first ball).

04-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Refs won't allow MethKC to lose in the first round, tbh....you might be right, but im sticking to my pick.

04-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Its a two horse race between Indy and Miami.:lol

Robz4000
04-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Indy's collapse came out of nowhere tbh. Now it's a three horse race between Miami, Meth, and San Antonio, with it being a rock/paper/scissors outcome between those three.

cd021
04-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Memphis is 37-15 (.711) in 2014 and have the best DRtg since Gasol returned from a sprained MCL on January 14th (32-13 since, .711) and have won 5 straight games.

I'm not saying OKC is vulnerable but Memphis has a much better chance than Dallas.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-16-2014, 11:01 PM
I don't think MEM will take them, but I think it'll go at least 6 and maybe 7 games. MEM will beat the crap out of OKC inside and soften them up, then Griffin will do the same for the Clips. It all bodes well for us if we make the WCFs, which I think we will.

silverblackfan
04-16-2014, 11:02 PM
At least Memphis will work the Thunder over. They will play hard and physical. Just what the doctor ordered for the first round.

heyheymymy
04-16-2014, 11:06 PM
memphis has been the 3rd best team in the league since 1-1-14, they're gonna grit n grind okc at least a little more than dal will. mavericks have one of the weakest defenses in the league which makes it easier, and it will be great to stay in TX, with HCA, till the WCF. easy, in state travel is an advantage with some of our older vets.

scanry
04-16-2014, 11:19 PM
They'd actually travel by Bus wouldn't they?

One is a 4 hr bus ride and the other would be less than 3 hrs.

ElNono
04-16-2014, 11:24 PM
The big advantage for the Grizz is in the paint... They can box out and rebound, they can bully inside, and they can make sure KD, Westbrook or Jackson do not get layups... OKC is going to have to shoot well from outside (which they can do, but the layup/freebie is the preferred route). The key for the Griz is going to be slowing down the pace, keep the turnovers down, and just pound inside. Mike Miller needs to be an x-factor for them.

I still don't think they have enough firepower though...

Sean Cagney
04-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Okc is scary as fuck this year. Plus we haven't proven we can beat them when it counts. The valor part of me would prefer meeting them in the WCF and getting revenge...but the discretion part of me just hopes they get tumbled off by a bad matchup

HAHHAHA, I agree fully.
The big advantage for the Grizz is in the paint... They can box out and rebound, they can bully inside, and they can make sure KD, Westbrook or Jackson do not get layups... OKC is going to have to shoot well from outside (which they can do, but the layup/freebie is the preferred route). The key for the Griz is going to be slowing down the pace, keep the turnovers down, and just pound inside. Mike Miller needs to be an x-factor for them.

I still don't think they have enough firepower though...
They are not beating OKC...

SilverSpur
04-17-2014, 12:32 AM
I smell upsets all around. I predict San Antonio will play Golden State in the 2nd round and Portland will play Memphis.
WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS - Spurs vs Grizzlies
NBA FINALS - SPURS VS PACERS
NBA CHAMPIONS. - SAN ANTONIO SPURS

dg7md
04-17-2014, 01:09 AM
Grizz/Thunder should be a really good series, those two teams match up pretty well and in a 7-game series it's a toss-up, because OKC is still dangerous but are not the same without Harden.

I'm glad that OKC has to deal with the Grizzlies instead of the Spurs having to deal with them, they're pretty physical.