PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in ghosts?

AussieFanKurt
02-22-2014, 03:10 AM
I don't but do you

Thebesteva
02-22-2014, 04:53 AM
I don't but do you

Legend has it that Koolaid man does, he wants to believe in something white that doesnt hate him

SupremeGuy
02-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Doesn't this just boil down to whether or not someone believes in God?

The Reckoning
02-22-2014, 03:44 PM

not necessarily. energy is neither created nor destroyed, so it's possible that excess energy can be left over after a person dies.

CitizenDwayne
02-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Nope. But, like religion, I would happily change my mind if someone could give me adequate evidence.

Leetonidas
02-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Does the Bible actually mention anything about ghosts existing? Because I'm not 100% but I don't think belief in ghosts is derived from the Bible, just something people apparently have thought over thousands of years because they don't know wtf happens. Either way, believing in ghosts is silly. Those ghost hunter shows are the saddest example of shit tv there is

SupremeGuy
02-22-2014, 03:51 PM
not necessarily. energy is neither created nor destroyed, so it's possible that excess energy can be left over after a person dies.Sounds like a metaphysical argument for a soul, which would go back to the existence of God, would it not?

RD2191
02-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Does the Bible actually mention anything about ghosts existing? Because I'm not 100% but I don't think belief in ghosts is derived from the Bible, just something people apparently have thought over thousands of years because they don't know wtf happens. Either way, believing in ghosts is silly. Those ghost hunter shows are the saddest example of shit tv there is
Ghosts are demons, demons like to mess with people. They're like tricksters. They also appear to trick people into believing that the soul is still "alive" after death, which is simply not true. I know you don't believe in the Bible but that's just some of my knowledge on the subject.

rascal
02-22-2014, 04:06 PM
When you die you go into another dimension so no to ghosts hanging around in the 3rd dimension. Ghosts no, but apparitions yes. Virgin Mary was seen in Portugal and France and Mexico by some kids.

Leetonidas
02-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Ghosts are demons, demons like to mess with people. They're like tricksters. They also appear to trick people into believing that the soul is still "alive" after death, which is simply not true. I know you don't believe in the Bible but that's just some of my knowledge on the subject.

Thanks for the non-trolling answer, I was genuinely curious about that :lol

RD2191
02-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the non-trolling answer, I was genuinely curious about that :lol
No prob. :lol

rascal
02-22-2014, 04:10 PM

Agree with this. But not ghosts which imply dead human souls but more like apparitions.

rascal
02-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Bible states there are dangers trying to contact the dead, you can be fooled by demons.

benefactor
02-22-2014, 04:19 PM
My posts from the other ghost thread:

My dad's side of the family talked about seeing grandma in the pasture, but it's hard to believe many of them because they are a bunch of rednecks. It's kinda like believing rednecks who saw aliens.

However, my cousin did have some strange stuff happen in an apartment he and his girlfriend were living in. We were close as brothers at the time and he's just not the type to bullshit about something like this. There were several things he told me but the two I remember the most were him losing his shoe and some things that happened with the Christmas tree. He was getting ready for work one day and put his shoes beside the bed. He went into the other room for a few minutes and when he came back one shoe was missing. He looked everywhere for it but could not find it. He thought it was weird but just shrugged it off and went and got another pair and left. About a week went by and he came home from work to find his shoe...right beside the bed where left it initially.

With the Christmas tree it was the angel getting knocked off. Not long after they put the tree up the angel would wind up on the floor every time they got home from work. They had a cat, so naturally he figured he was the culprit. He took wire and secured the angel tightly to the top of the tree...to the point where you would have to unwire it to get it off. He came home that evening to find the top of the tree bent over and the angel...and wire...on the floor.

They moved out right after that.

Forgot to mention that as they were getting ready to move out my cousin mentioned to the manager kinda casually about strange things happening in the apartment. The manager told him that this wasn't the first time he'd heard something like that and that there were several apartments in that particular building that had similar complaints.

The Reckoning
02-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Sounds like a metaphysical argument for a soul, which would go back to the existence of God, would it not?

no not really. energy doesn't need to be conscious of itself.

Leetonidas
02-22-2014, 04:27 PM
I wish some ghosts would bother me so I could observe their supposed existence :cry

SupremeGuy
02-22-2014, 05:10 PM
no not really. energy doesn't need to be conscious of itself.Exactly what energy are you talking about?

DMC
02-23-2014, 01:22 AM
not necessarily. energy is neither created nor destroyed, so it's possible that excess energy can be left over after a person dies.

Then it wouldn't be "excess" if the first part of your sentence is true. In fact, there's no excess energy. A tree dies and it contains energy. Every atom in existence has energy. We don't contain more energy just because we are alive. We just use it differently. Is a cold blooded animal less "energetic" than a warm blooded one?

All energy is always "left over". Energy doesn't exist as a separate entity, it's only a potential. There's no reason to conclude that it's even possible that naturally occurring energy transfers can take the form of a human and have synaptic responses. Hell, the body didn't even have that which is why it died. If the body with all it's tools and material cannot muster it, how can just the surrounding air do so?

The Reckoning
02-23-2014, 04:10 AM
Then it wouldn't be "excess" if the first part of your sentence is true. In fact, there's no excess energy. A tree dies and it contains energy. Every atom in existence has energy. We don't contain more energy just because we are alive. We just use it differently. Is a cold blooded animal less "energetic" than a warm blooded one?

All energy is always "left over". Energy doesn't exist as a separate entity, it's only a potential. There's no reason to conclude that it's even possible that naturally occurring energy transfers can take the form of a human and have synaptic responses. Hell, the body didn't even have that which is why it died. If the body with all it's tools and material cannot muster it, how can just the surrounding air do so?

i used excess and left over interchangeably. i just find the human brain peculiar because the amount of energy necessary to power it. iirc, most of our energy intake is dedicated to running our brains. what happens when it just shuts off? like a power plant, does some of that linger? do all of our memories dissipate with it?

tbh, i don't believe in ghosts but i've lived in some creepy as fuck places where the air just didn't feel right. thanks for responding to my assertion in a logical matter since i was playing devil's advocate. other posters are trying to play the religion card for no reason lol.

baseline bum
02-23-2014, 10:03 AM
LOL rascal using Mexicans seeing Virgin Mary in their tortilla as evidence

baseline bum
02-23-2014, 10:08 AM
And energy is always being destroyed. For instance, the cosmological redshift of photons due to the expansion of the universe lowers their energy (with no corresponding gain anywhere) since their frequency gets lower as they're stretched to longer wavelengths.

Relevancy
02-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Guys if demons are real, how can we evoke such spirits? Not saying I'm gonna try it, but I'll call bs on demons if there's no method to summon them.

DMC
02-23-2014, 11:18 AM
i used excess and left over interchangeably. i just find the human brain peculiar because the amount of energy necessary to power it. iirc, most of our energy intake is dedicated to running our brains. what happens when it just shuts off? like a power plant, does some of that linger? do all of our memories dissipate with it?

You ever use an inductance amplifier? Try that in an electrically noisy environment. Then turn off the power. You don't hear residuals because there's no residual energy. Where residuals exist in the form of capacitance, it will just have a lag for dissipation. It won't linger. Even triboelectric charges will dissipate. There's no reason to think a static charge of matter is a human soul and the concept of ghosts infers souls. I get the spookiness, however much of that is because we have been exposed to religion for most of our lives. We don't necessarily believe it, but we give it some credence in some moments.

tbh, i don't believe in ghosts but i've lived in some creepy as fuck places where the air just didn't feel right. thanks for responding to my assertion in a logical matter since i was playing devil's advocate. other posters are trying to play the religion card for no reason lol.

It's hard to separate religion from afterlife and ghosts are afterlife.

rascal
02-23-2014, 11:34 AM

No it wasn't in their tortilla. Didn't some kid see the Virgin in the 1500's.

rascal
02-23-2014, 11:38 AM

At Fatima, Portugal many people witnessed the sun doing crazy things.

rascal
02-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Guys if demons are real, how can we evoke such spirits? Not saying I'm gonna try it, but I'll call bs on demons if there's no method to summon them.

Get a Ouija board and start playing around with it.

Xevious
02-23-2014, 01:29 PM
I don't believe in ghosts, spirits, angels, demons, ghouls, goblins, zombies, vampires, or werewolves. All are man made fictions. Humans have been living and dying on Earth for thousands of years. Other mammals and lifeforms for much longer. That's a lot of fucking ghosts to be wandering around. I kill microbes every time I swallow. Is my stomach haunted?

Two10Whitey
02-23-2014, 01:38 PM
I don't really believe in ghosts. The closest thing that I find interesting is OBE and astral projection.

Suspect
02-23-2014, 01:39 PM
naw but ive had that sleep paralysis shit happen to me every once in a while, when trying to wake up catch a glance of some demon like face first sometimes. usually after a naughty dream tbh

Blake
02-23-2014, 01:50 PM

1 Samuel 28

.....Saul swore to her by the*Lord, “As surely as the*Lord*lives, you will not be punished for this.”11*Then the woman asked, “Whom shall I bring up for you?”“Bring up Samuel,” he said.12*When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out at the top of her voice and said to Saul, “Why have you deceived me?*You are Saul!”13*The king said to her, “Don’t be afraid. What do you see?”The woman said, “I see a ghostly figure[a]*coming up out of the earth.”14*“What does he look like?” he asked.“An old man wearing a robe*is coming up,” she said.Then Saul knew it was Samuel, and he bowed down and prostrated himself with his face to the ground.15*Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?”......

Lol ghosts

Leetonidas
02-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Get a Ouija board and start playing around with it.

dumbass :lmao

DMC
02-23-2014, 04:06 PM
I don't believe in ghosts, spirits, angels, demons, ghouls, goblins, zombies, vampires, or werewolves. All are man made fictions. Humans have been living and dying on Earth for thousands of years. Other mammals and lifeforms for much longer. That's a lot of fucking ghosts to be wandering around. I kill microbes every time I swallow. Is my stomach haunted?
Probably a few babies as well... I said.

chunticakes
02-24-2014, 01:22 AM
Probably a few babies as well... I said.

winner winner, chicken dinner. :lol

Xevious
02-24-2014, 09:41 AM
I walked into that one, I guess.

I. Hustle
02-24-2014, 10:22 AM
XeXe got some ghost babies in his stomach.

spurraider21
02-24-2014, 07:28 PM
:lol using the law of conservation of mass-energy as reason to believe in ghosts

by that same logic there should be no way babies are born tbh

DMC
02-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Reifying superstition through science is the coward's way of reconciling the two without offending either side. Don't want to appear ignorant and uneducated, but also don't want to appear closed minded to "spirituality". Makes for a more dimensional character.... more interesting.

The Reckoning
02-24-2014, 10:32 PM
i said i don't believe in ghosts but it's always a fun theory to talk about. lighten the fuck up it's a message board.

Spur|n|Austin
02-25-2014, 10:28 AM

Bingo.

SupremeGuy
02-25-2014, 07:04 PM
:lol using the law of conservation of mass-energy as reason to believe in ghosts

by that same logic there should be no way babies are born tbhExactly why I was trying to get him to specify exactly what energy he was talking about, tbh. lol He dodged.

DMC
02-25-2014, 07:14 PM
i said i don't believe in ghosts but it's always a fun theory to talk about. lighten the fuck up it's a message board.

Since it's a message board, it's ok to have an uneducated opinion on science? Ok. I wasn't aware of that.

DMC
02-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Bingo.

lol

Two people not understanding science

The Reckoning
02-25-2014, 07:26 PM
Since it's a message board, it's ok to have an uneducated opinion on science? Ok. I wasn't aware of that.

why because energy is a loose term we apply to some forces that power things yet it is nearly intangible? "energy" is some made up concept to help us cope with what makes things move. you're just as bad as preachers who stand on their pulpit and claim to know more about god than the next man.

The Reckoning
02-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Exactly why I was trying to get him to specify exactly what energy he was talking about, tbh. lol He dodged.

lol even dmc can agree with me that you're full of fucking shit and trying to piggy back on his rebuttal like you know anything.

SupremeGuy
02-25-2014, 07:35 PM
lol even dmc can agree with me that you're full of fucking shit and trying to piggy back on his rebuttal like you know anything.lol still waiting for you to clarify what "energy" you're talking about and how it somehow manifests itself as a ghost, tbh

SupremeGuy
02-25-2014, 07:42 PM
i said i don't believe in ghosts but it's always a fun theory to talk about. lighten the fuck up it's a message board.I agree. :toast

DMC
02-26-2014, 02:05 AM
why because energy is a loose term we apply to some forces that power things yet it is nearly intangible? "energy" is some made up concept to help us cope with what makes things move. you're just as bad as preachers who stand on their pulpit and claim to know more about god than the next man.

lol... ok

Nobody understands energy.... it's this mystical force that we just pretend to know... it's really mysterious. The fact that we can control it to the nth degree and you're using it right now to read this text is just a coincidence.

I guess with energy being measured in Joules and thus being quantitative, it's just a "loose term" we use to describe some crazy forces that power things.

Jeb "Billy Bob, what you reckon makes that there lightnin' hit da groun' liken dat?"

Billy Bob "probably energy or somethin', Jeb, we won't never know"

Blake
02-26-2014, 02:33 AM
ghost energy is enough to haunt a house for hundreds of years.

cleaner and safer than nuclear

Rogue
02-26-2014, 09:04 AM
lol... ok

Nobody understands energy.... it's this mystical force that we just pretend to know... it's really mysterious. The fact that we can control it to the nth degree and you're using it right now to read this text is just a coincidence.

I guess with energy being measured in Joules and thus being quantitative, it's just a "loose term" we use to describe some crazy forces that power things.

Jeb "Billy Bob, what you reckon makes that there lightnin' hit da groun' liken dat?"

Billy Bob "probably energy or somethin', Jeb, we won't never know"
energy and substance are just two forms of the same thing imho.

DMC
02-26-2014, 10:29 AM
energy and substance are just two forms of the same thing imho.

But it's a very mysterious.. spooky force that we should fear imo.

Rogue
02-26-2014, 06:38 PM
But it's a very mysterious.. spooky force that we should fear imo.
agree, D. Especially nuclear energy, which's like Pandora's box. Humans know how to convert substance into energy (nuclear fission) but not how to control the process imho.

Relevancy
02-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Get a Ouija board and start playing around with it.Can you tell me the history of the ouija board? why do people believe it summons demons? I don't get it.

xmas1997
02-26-2014, 10:56 PM
In one word, No.
I don't believe we are being visited by space aliens either.

rascal
02-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Can you tell me the history of the ouija board? why do people believe it summons demons? I don't get it.

Look it up. I never used it but give it a try and tell us what you find out.

rascal
02-27-2014, 12:07 PM

The Holy Ghost

Blake
02-27-2014, 12:42 PM
http://www.northwesternflipside.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/jesus_toast.jpg

The Holy Toast

xmas1997
02-27-2014, 06:45 PM
http://www.northwesternflipside.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/jesus_toast.jpg

The Holy Toast

For someone who professes atheism you sure like to quote scripture a lot.
Closet Christian, maybe?
:lol

Blake
02-27-2014, 07:00 PM
For someone who professes atheism you sure like to quote scripture a lot.
Closet Christian, maybe?

I've studied the Bible. You're stupid.

xmas1997
02-27-2014, 07:09 PM
I've studied the Bible. You're stupid.

Another typical Blakism.
Give it up. No one believes that.

Blake
02-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Another typical Blakism.
Give it up. No one believes that.

No one believes I'm a closet Christian for sure.

When did you give up reading at an elementary school level?

xmas1997
02-27-2014, 07:29 PM
No one believes I'm a closet Christian for sure.

When did you give up reading at an elementary school level?

Oh I guess about the same time that Kool screwed your mom and begat you.
Keep on melting, Blakey.

Blake
02-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Oh I guess about the same time that Kool screwed your mom and begat you.
Keep on melting, Blakey.

sick 5th grade burn.

No one other than the 210 gang believes I'm melting. But a mom joke is usually a gateway to a meltdown. Be careful.

xmas1997
02-27-2014, 08:03 PM
sick 5th grade burn.

No one other than the 210 gang believes I'm melting. But a mom joke is usually a gateway to a meltdown. Be careful.

Gateway jokes, as in gateway drugs?
You really are a hoot.
You have no idea what you are even saying anymore.
There is no 210 gang, it is all in your imagination.

pgardn
02-27-2014, 08:05 PM

So explain Casper.

xmas1997
02-27-2014, 08:10 PM
So explain Casper.

He's friendly.

pgardn
02-27-2014, 08:15 PM

Mass is also a concept that happens to be tested, just like energy, and to be PREDICTIVE when used by the rules they appear to obey.

So we use them. And the definitions of these concepts change as we learn new things.
I don't see the problem. It's science.

pgardn
02-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Really, WTF is a ghost? I have heard so many different definitions.

xmas1997
02-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Really, WTF is a ghost? I have heard so many different definitions.

Spooks.