PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Page 2: Seven quick thoughts on the megadeal

Kori Ellis
08-04-2005, 01:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

Seven quick thoughts on yesterday's NBA megadeal ...

1. Imagine being Larry Bird or Joe Dumars right now -- your biggest rival in the East just traded Eddie Jones and, um, nothing else ... and somehow ended up with James Posey (who's better than Eddie Jones by himself), Antoine Walker AND Jason Williams. How is that possible? As my buddy House joked, "They got three potential starters for the Eddie Jones pu pu platter!"

2. White Chocolate is one of those guys who couldn't be redeemed in any other situation but Miami -- he's a head case, doesn't respect his coaches, takes terrible shots and butts heads with the media ... but the old Jordan/Rodman Corollary applies here. In other words, if you have the right alpha dog in place, even the biggest head case falls into line. Shaq is probably the smartest superstar in the league -- he knows what Williams could give this team (a fast break, some dribble-and-dishes, high assist/turnover ratio, some excitement) and will probably be legally adopting him by January. I also think Posey will have a bigger impact than people realize -- he's one of the best defenders in the league, he's a gamer and he doesn't need the ball to thrive. If they re-sign Damon Jones, they're ... actually, I still like Indiana more. But Miami definitely improved.

3. Ironically, Antoine is the guy who worries me here. Do you really want him playing over Udonis Haslem (someone who crashes the boards and knows his role)? Can Antoine accept playing a complimentary role on a great team? He certainly wasn't able to do it in Dallas -- they pretty much benched him by the end of the 2003 playoffs -- and in Boston last spring, after saying and doing all the right things for two months, he ended up launching 104 shots in six games during the Indiana series and carrying himself like the best guy on the court. Which he wasn't. So how will he accept being the third option behind two superstars? What will happen in Game 7 of the Eastern Finals against the Pistons or Pacers, when they're down by two with a minute and 30 seconds remaining and he's wide-open from 26 feet? Does he take the shot, even when he's playing with two much better scoring options? I think he does. You can't change who you are.

Here's the thing about 'Toine: After watching him for two months last season, I was surprised to see how much his game has slipped around the basket -- nobody in the league misses more layups and four-footers, partly because he doesn't have the hops anymore (remember, he has some miles on him -- nearly 700 regular-season games, plus another 37 playoff games in just eight seasons), partly because his free-throw shooting has slipped so much that he rushes his shots before he gets fouled. He also makes some of the worst decisions on fast breaks of anyone I've ever seen -- for instance, he botched two four-on-ones in the same half during one of those Indiana games. But if Antoine just concentrates on the things he does well -- interior defense, defensive rebounding, wide-open 3s, entry passes to big men, pick-and-rolls where he's rolling -- he could be a major asset to Miami. I guess we'll see.

4. From my friend Sean Grande, who does radio play-by-play for the Celtics and owns nearly every "Piper's Pit" on tape: "Let me continue my two-plus year run of NBA heresy by being the only one to say out loud that Jerry West has lost his mind." Agreed. Has he made one good move since the Shaq-Kobe combo in 1996? I always thought that Lakers Dynasty could have been set up for a 10-year run if he made the right moves.

5. Why did the Celtics get involved? Because owner Wyc Grousbeck wanted to reward Antoine for being a great Celtic over the years, that's why. The team didn't want to re-sign him for multiple years because they're convinced Big Al Jefferson is a future All-Star -- why lock up a veteran who plays the same position? So they offered Walker around in a sign-and-trade all summer, and nobody was really interested, and by the time August rolled around, only two teams were interested in him -- Miami and Denver -- and neither team had anything to offer the Celtics. So they ended up doing this convoluted deal that netted them two second-round picks, the rights to some foreign center, two fringe players (Curtis Borchardt and Qyntel Woods) who aren't in their plans, the rights to 45 pit-bull jokes, and only one real caveat: A $5.5 million trade exception that can be used up until Aug. 1, 2006.

Here's why that exception is valuable: Not only can they use it during the season, if they hold onto it until next summer, they can offer someone a little more than the mid-level exception. For instance, remember what happened with the Nets and Shareef Abdur-Rahim? They cut a deal with the Blazers in which Portland used New Jersey's exception, then he ended up making more money than the mid-level exception and and received an extra year on the deal? That's what that exception can do for you. You can't package it with another salary for a bigger salary, but you can sign-and-trade it or use it for any player that makes $5.5 million or less. My guess is they will keep the exception until next summer.

6. With that said, not only do the Celtics look like a 25-win team right now, I have a feeling that Paul Pierce will be going into Full Sabotage Mode by Thanksgiving to force a trade to a winning team. Let's hope we don't have Vince Carter, The Sequel on our hands.

7. Most importantly, Curtis Borchardt doesn't just give Brian Scalabrine someone to hang out with, but seeing the happy look in my father's eyes when they're playing together ... you can't put a price on this stuff. Is there any way we could give Borchardt "32" and Scalabrine "33" to complete the effect?

clubalien
08-04-2005, 01:29 PM
only option for pacers is to trade us ron artest for
parker +whatever makes deal go other then manu and tim
;]

1Parker1
08-04-2005, 01:36 PM
only option for pacers is to trade us ron artest for
parker +whatever makes deal go other then manu and tim
;]

Dude, we get it, You'd trade Tony Parker for a bag of rocks or whatever you can get. However, it's probably not going to happen anytime soon, so you can get over your whole "Trade Parker for..." response you always seem to have in every thread. :rolleyes

1Parker1
08-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Anyways, back on topic, I think it's interesting that this guy thinks the Heat are a lot better off. It does amaze me that the Heat were able to get 3 players for Jones and a pick. Does anyone know about Posey's condition? Is he fully recovered from his "near career ending" foot surgery?

Joesteds
08-04-2005, 01:38 PM
I love Simmons as a writer. The J-Will paragraph is pure speculation and could go either way, and I didn't think Toine was a good defender or defensive rebounder.

clubalien
08-04-2005, 01:44 PM
all trades have medcial exams so the spurs don't try to trade a sean elliot that will never play again to a team and end up screwing over a team

so if the trade went through their shouldn't be any thing serious or they missed it

Does anyone know about Posey's condition?

1Parker1
08-04-2005, 01:50 PM
My belief on the trade is this: IF the Heat make it to the Finals, it's going to be because of Dwayne Wade and Shaq, that's it. Guys like Walker and Williams are not difference makers, or "savvy veterans," or experienced enough players who would be able to make a difference and put the Heat over the top. Heck, I barely consider those 2 to be role players.

I do think that Posey may be a good role player for them--depending on his health.

1Parker1
08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
all trades have medcial exams so the spurs don't try to trade a sean elliot that will never play again to a team and end up screwing over a team

so if the trade went through their shouldn't be any thing serious or they missed it

hmm good point. Thanks.

beirmeistr
08-04-2005, 04:23 PM
"Shaq is probably the smartest superstar in the league"----but not smart enough to keep the Shaq/Kobe Lakers intact.

CosmicCowboy
08-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Can't wait to see the look on White Chocolates face after leading the fast break and doing one of his famous no look behind the back passes to his big man for the thunderjam and throwing the ball into the to crowd because Shaq had just then managed to walk past half court...:lol

Joesteds
08-04-2005, 05:04 PM
I can't wait to see white chocolate throw one of his no look behind the back passes to his two guard for the thunderjam that makes every highlight reel and swings all momentum to the Heat. 1Parker1, you may not like JWILL or Toine but to say they can barely considered role players is just not seeing the situation how it is. Those two guys are better role players than almost any team in the NBA has. Get real

samikeyp
08-04-2005, 06:26 PM
And I can't wait until the 4th quarter of a critical game when White Chocolate throws one of his no-look passes to the popcorn vendor in the first row that makes every highlight reel and swings the momentum away from the Heat. I like to watch Jason Williams but he has time and time again faltered with the game on the line. In big games, he has a tendency to shrink. He kicks ass in January but he falters come April.

T Park
08-04-2005, 06:37 PM
hilarious.

Love how always, the flavor of the week team, wich is Miami right now, everytime they make a move, "ITS FANTASTIC, HAND THEM THE TROPHY NOW!!!"

Hilarious.

DUncan and others prob just shake their heads and keep practicin.

WayDowntownBang
08-05-2005, 07:25 AM
hilarious.

Love how always, the flavor of the week team, wich is Miami right now, everytime they make a move, "ITS FANTASTIC, HAND THEM THE TROPHY NOW!!!"

Hilarious.

DUncan and others prob just shake their heads and keep practicin.

I know, it's crazy. You probably have Miami fans jumping on and off the bandwagon like crazy right now. They probably won't even POST for a year if Miami loses in the Semi-Finals again.

Sense
08-05-2005, 10:01 AM
I think aslong as the Miami Heat know that it's going to be harder than last year, we should be happy.

We should also be happy attention is not going to be brought to us..

Miami's been chosen for the second straight year to win the NBA championship...

Losing will prove Shaq's going down.