PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for my first visit to SA

spurspokesman
02-24-2014, 06:23 PM
What's up fellas. Finally after all these years of being a spurs fan I am headed to San Antonio. I have tix to the Bobcats snoozer on Friday night more or less just to see the at&t center and the spurs on there home court and not New York. I'm staying on the Riverwalk so that's a must. Any dining suggestions and must see attractions. Thanks in advance!

jeebus
02-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Get a gun so you can protect yourself when outside of the ATT center.

Mikeanaro
02-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Protect himself from the fat women?

jeebus
02-24-2014, 06:37 PM
For starters, yes.

EVAY
02-24-2014, 06:41 PM

:lol

spurspokesman
02-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Okay grab a gun and stay away from fat chick's lol, I'm learning.

Mel_13
02-24-2014, 06:52 PM
What's up fellas. Finally after all these years of being a spurs fan I am headed to San Antonio. I have tix to the Bobcats snoozer on Friday night more or less just to see the at&t center and the spurs on there home court and not New York. I'm staying on the Riverwalk so that's a must. Any dining suggestions and must see attractions. Thanks in advance!

Some good options at The Pearl and you can get there on the River Taxi.

http://atpearl.com/

http://riosanantonio.com/rio-taxi/

spurspokesman
02-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Some good options at The Pearl and you can get there on the River Taxi.

http://atpearl.com/

http://riosanantonio.com/rio-taxi/
Thanks Mel, I'll check it out

EVAY
02-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Unsure what your tastes are and if you have a car or not, but here goes for restaurants:

Seafood: - Wildfish Seafood Grille, 1604

French: - Saveur 209, Broadway just north of Houston Street (about two bocks north of Houston)

Mexican: - La Fonda on Main

American: - Cappy's, Broadway in Alamo Heights,

riverwalk: - Biga on the Banks

Enjoy! The Pearl Brewery, as someone else mentioned, is an interesting walk-about place.

Problem is, you said you were from New York. That being the case, you will not find too much in this town that will compare favorably to NYC in terms of entertainment or museums, imo. If you like history, you might check out the Missions. Other than that, I got nothin'. Sorry, man. Good luck.

DesignatedT
02-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Pearl.

spurspokesman
02-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Unsure what your tastes are and if you have a car or not, but here goes for restaurants:

French: - Saveur 209, Broadway just north of Houston Street (about two bocks north of Houston)

Enjoy! The Pearl Brewery, as someone else mentioned, is an interesting walk-about place.

Problem is, you said you were from New York. That being the case, you will not find too much in this town that will compare favorably to NYC in terms of entertainment or museums, imo. If you like history, you might check out the Missions. Other than that, I got nothin'. Sorry, man. Good luck.
I'm in CT just a half hour from NY so I catch the spurs when they play NY. I'm good with the American spots and seafood. How is the Tower of America's and Alamo?

spurraider21
02-24-2014, 07:25 PM
the big ol'e women

spurspokesman
02-24-2014, 07:54 PM
the big ol'e women

I guess it's the truth. According to you, Charles barkley and countless others. I'll be with my wife so I won't get the chance to feast my eyes on a few big beauties lol

baseline bum
02-24-2014, 07:55 PM
After the game you can drive up New Braunfels Ave to pick up a date. Not too far from the AT&T Center.

Mugen
02-24-2014, 07:56 PM
I'll be with my wife so I won't get the chance to feast my eyes on a few big beauties lol

probably won't have much of a choice tbh

spurraider21
02-24-2014, 08:02 PM
i actually have no idea, i've never been to texas. i was just ripping of the barkley bit

superjames1992
02-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Whataburger, tbh, per par.

baseline bum
02-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Indeed, Whataburger is what you want if looking for a mediocre burger and fries with good ketchup.

crc21209
02-24-2014, 09:59 PM
probably won't have much of a choice tbh

spurspokesman
02-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Indeed, Whataburger is what you want if looking for a mediocre burger and fries with good ketchup.

Maybe run into Blair. He'll be in San Antonio for Sundays game lol

ElNono
02-24-2014, 10:12 PM
I'm in CT just a half hour from NY so I catch the spurs when they play NY. I'm good with the American spots and seafood. How is the Tower of America's and Alamo?

You can do Alamo + Hemisfair Park in about 4-5 hours... worth a visit if you have the time, IMO.

NickiRasgo
02-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Please bring Ayers with you when you leave SA.

TheWriter
02-24-2014, 10:31 PM
Definitely hit up the Pearl, Southtown, La Cantera and ignore the juvenile posts in this thread.

tholdren
02-24-2014, 10:31 PM
where do all the hot thin big titted whorish latinas go?

baseline bum
02-24-2014, 10:40 PM
where do all the hot thin big titted whorish latinas go?

To about 200 lb after age 16.

TrueSpursFan
02-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Don't know what you guys are taking about. There's beautiful women all over San Antonio!

Definitely hit up the Pearl, Southtown, La Cantera and ignore the juvenile posts in this thread.
If you head to Southdown, you should check out the Alamo street eat bar. Try the iFries from Sabores food truck! The best fries covered in garne guisada with cheese you'll ever taste.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/SAboresfood/455880394449985?id=455880394449985&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpages%2FSA boresfood%2F455880394449985 (https://m.facebook.com/pages/SAboresfood/455880394449985?id=455880394449985&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpages%2FSA boresfood%2F455880394449985)

http://alamostreeteatbar.com (http://alamostreeteatbar.com)
That area is a great atmosphere, just to walk around and drink a little with great food.

spurspokesman
02-24-2014, 10:59 PM

Gotcha. I got thick skin so the childish post are comical. Thx

spurspokesman
02-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Please bring Ayers with you when you leave SA.

Good one

Mel_13
Another Southtown place I can vouch for:

http://www.lafritesa.com/

Splits
Plenty of good suggestions in this thread, it should be stickied: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205546

You should check out the south side of town, it's full of fun, cultural activities

The water in the Riverwalk is so pure it doesn't conduct a charge.

Quinceaneras, yard sales and the flea market can all make for a fun weekend.

You could also play I Spy down at the Riverwalk and see who can spot the most 15 year olds pushing strollers.

If you wait about two years (according to Buddy Holly), you can go watch San Antonio's NFL team play in the Alamo Dome.

If you're into fat Mexican strippers check out our local clubs.

Plenty of flea markets to meet up with mouse, tbh

You could go to this strip club called All-stars and say hi to my mom.

Go to Austin.

fat mexican tipping?

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
02-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Fwiw.. I Work in S.A. and I see a lot of Hot Latinas everyday, so I don't see where this
' infested with fat women ' stuff comes from.
S.A. has just as many fat women as Dallas or Houston tbh

TheWriter
02-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Fwiw.. I Work in S.A. and I see a lot of Hot Latinas everyday, so I don't see where this
' infested with fat women ' stuff comes from.
S.A. has just as many fat women as Dallas or Houston tbh

The combined IQ for most of the sad sacks that troll this forum is less than 10.

baseline bum
02-24-2014, 11:56 PM
If you wait about two years (according to Buddy Holly), you can go watch San Antonio's NFL team play in the Alamo Dome.

:lmao :lmao

DesertSpur50
02-25-2014, 12:21 AM
I'm also heading to SA on a business trip for a couple of weeks. Are there any well populated parks to get a good pick-up game going? Which ones are the best? I like assessing the local talent from other cities when I travel.

Mel_13
02-25-2014, 12:25 AM
:lmao :lmao

:rollin

According to that source, the NBA All-Star Game is also returning to the dome.

superjames1992
02-25-2014, 12:27 AM

It's a typical San Antonio meal. :lol:

TE
02-25-2014, 12:30 AM
Plenty of good suggestions in this thread, it should be stickied: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205546
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

spurspokesman
02-25-2014, 12:56 AM
The combined IQ for most of the sad sacks that troll this forum is less than 10.

Lmao

spurspokesman
02-25-2014, 12:57 AM
Good looks lmao

DapDaGenius
02-25-2014, 04:10 AM

:lol Funny stuff right there.

hsxvvd
02-25-2014, 05:07 AM
I staying at the La Quinta Inn Market Square (Across the road from Mi Tierra) for 2 nights in April. Coming from Australia. I have a rental car.

What's this area like?

rascal
02-25-2014, 05:36 AM
Go up the Hemisphere Tower and don't forget to see the Texas show on the bottom level in the small theatre of the Hemisphere Tower. Walk around the River Walk, The Alamo, go to the Mexican market and buy a multi colored Mexican blanket you will put it to good use living in CT. Like others have said you can see everything in one day, not much to see in SA.

rascal
02-25-2014, 05:39 AM
Eat Texas BBQ and Mexican food , you don't get that in CT. Don't eat Pizza, CT pizza way better than what you will find in SA.

TheWriter
02-25-2014, 06:22 AM
Eat Texas BBQ and Mexican food , you don't get that in CT. Don't eat Pizza, CT pizza way better than what you will find in SA.

Nonsense. I'd take Florios, Gallos, Trilogy, Barbaro, Dough, Stella, Fralos over anything I've had in Connecticut.

I bet you've eaten at nine of those places.

rascal
02-25-2014, 06:59 AM
Nonsense. I'd take Florios, Gallos, Trilogy, Barbaro, Dough, Stella, Fralos over anything I've had in Connecticut.

CT pizza better than Texas pizza. New Haven considered some of the best pizza in the country.

FkLA
02-25-2014, 07:05 AM
I'm also heading to SA on a business trip for a couple of weeks. Are there any well populated parks to get a good pick-up game going? Which ones are the best? I like assessing the local talent from other cities when I travel.

Come down to Pickwell Park, nigga. Don't bother if you suck though.

rascal
02-25-2014, 07:30 AM

I am sure those are all good pizza places but when in Texas eat stuff you won't get in CT. You can get better pizzas in CT.

baseline bum
02-25-2014, 07:41 AM
rascal is full of shit tbh; there is no good BBQ in San Antonio. If you want good BBQ you have to drive out to Luling or Lockhart.

TheWriter
02-25-2014, 07:45 AM
I am sure those are all good pizza places but when in Texas eat stuff you won't get in CT. You can get better pizzas in CT.

Is English not your first language?

Anyway, how in the world can you judge which place has better pizza when you've only eaten in one location. Saying something is better doesn't make it so, especially if you haven't even made a comparison yourself. I have.

TheWriter
02-25-2014, 07:46 AM
rascal is full of shit tbh; there is no good BBQ in San Antonio. If you want good BBQ you have to drive out to Luling or Lockhart.

The Granary, Augies, Two Bros, The Big Bib, The Smoke Shack. All in SA, all very good eats.

spurspokesman
02-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Haven't tasted Texas pizza but yeah CT is said to have the best Pizza and unless I taste otherwise I'd have to agree. Pepe's and Captains on down to Famous Pizza are just good eating.

spurspokesman
02-25-2014, 08:13 AM
The Granary, Augies, Two Bros, The Big Bib, The Smoke Shack. All in SA, all very good eats.

Cool, i'll throw it on the to do list

baseline bum
Seriously, if you want BBQ drive up to City Market in Luling for lunch and get a grip of sausage and some brisket. Closed Sunday though. On Sundays Black's up in Lockhart is probably best. Either place is about an hour's drive from San Antonio and kills the shit BBQ in San Antonio.

spurspokesman

spurspokesman
02-25-2014, 08:15 AM
We will be doing some driving (Houston) so I wouldn't mind taking an hour cruise for bbq. Thx

spurspokesman
02-25-2014, 08:18 AM
My question is will the big women pay for meals in SA or are they looking to be treated lol. Cause I'm all in to flirting for food.:wow

baseline bum
02-25-2014, 08:23 AM
We will be doing some driving (Houston) so I wouldn't mind taking an hour cruise for bbq. Thx

Definitely check City Market in Luling then. It opens about 7am Monday-Saturday but the meat will probably be gone if you're any later than maybe 3PM. It's a 10 minute detour off I-10 on the drive from SA to Houston. Get off on Hwy 183and head north. Their sausage just blows everyone else's away. There is no one even close. Also, don't go to a place called Luling City Market in Houston; it's a con that tries to make people think it's affiliated with the legendary place in Luling, but it's not and I heard it sucks.

rascal
02-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Is English not your first language?

Anyway, how in the world can you judge which place has better pizza when you've only eaten in one location. Saying something is better doesn't make it so, especially if you haven't even made a comparison yourself. I have.

Do a little research moron. What did I offend your Texan pride by saying something was better somewhere else.

rascal
02-25-2014, 09:20 AM

It is good compared to what you find in CT but sure there are better outside the city. I did say Texas BBQ. Bill Miller and Rudy's is even better than what you get in CT.

There is a place outside or near the Dallas airport. That place was good, don't know the name.

TheWriter
02-25-2014, 09:22 AM
Do a little research moron. What did I offend your Texan pride by saying something was better somewhere else.

I did my research nimrod. I've visited a good chunk of the northeast multiple times and have eaten in those states multiple times, including Connecticut.

My opinion isn't formed via some biased one sided comparison. From my experiences, there are better pizza joints in SA than the ones I ate in Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Upstate New York, Etc.

And no, this has nothing to do bbc.co with Texas or being a Texan. Insult Texas all you want, I couldn't care less. This is about a personal preference based on first hand experience.

P.S.

I asked if English is your first language, because your grammar is terrible.

rascal
02-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Who cares about your opinion. The general opinion by most is CT has better pizza than San Antonio.
Anyways the point is, you eat what you can't get in CT while in Texas, and that is good Mexican food and Texas BBQ.

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
02-25-2014, 09:49 AM

Spurs9
02-25-2014, 09:53 AM

Good taste tbh :hat

birdy219
02-25-2014, 10:40 AM
I eat at Pappadeaux's and Mi Tierra's when I go to San Antonio, but I am a Louisiana girl and seafood is always my first choice. :hungry:

EVAY
02-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I eat at Pappadeaux's and Mi Tierra's when I go to San Antonio, but I am a Louisiana girl and seafood is always my first choice. :hungry:

YOu know, I agree about Pappadeaux's. It is a really good louisiana style food place. I forget about it. I grew up in Louisiana territory and their fried crab claws and greek salads are just identical to the ones in New Orleans. I don't eat their gumbo because I make my own and only eat my own, but lots of the rest of their food is pretty good.

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
02-25-2014, 11:00 AM

I was just in Louisiana this past weekend, ate at some place called Steamboat Bills In Lake Charles L.a.
best seafood I've ever had tbh.

DJR210
02-25-2014, 01:18 PM

Fat women and the native blacks.

DJR210
02-25-2014, 01:21 PM

:lol The chef prepares the pizza, not the state.

spurspokesman
02-25-2014, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=DJR210;7156094]Fat women and the native blacks.[/So my fellow blacks are tearing up SA? J/k

TheWriter
02-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Here are a couple of links that give you an idea on where to eat:

Link 1 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/food/restaurants/slideshow/Heard-About-Eats-San-Antonio-s-most-buzzed-about-58105/photo-3508205.php)

Link 2 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/food/restaurants/slideshow/San-Antonio-s-top-100-patio-restaurants-70320.php)

Mikeanaro
02-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Fat women and the native blacks.
That shit is too scary, If I were there I would rent a costume and get some makeup to look like a fat native black eating chicken while Im walking down the street

spurspokesman
02-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Here are a couple of links that give you an idea on where to eat:

Link 1 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/food/restaurants/slideshow/Heard-About-Eats-San-Antonio-s-most-buzzed-about-58105/photo-3508205.php)

Link 2 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/food/restaurants/slideshow/San-Antonio-s-top-100-patio-restaurants-70320.php)most appreciated

DJR210
02-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Shit, stop by Chacho's and get some cheap, yet effective Mexican food. Especially after a night of drinking. Hell, drink a few of the top shelf margaritas, they'll do you right.

Beaverfuzz
02-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Check out where Cuban dropped a deuce in the Riverwalk, not to be missed!

tholdren
02-25-2014, 06:48 PM

Can i get an ass pic? Doesnt have to be nude, tight jeans will work

spurspokesman
02-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Shit, stop by Chacho's and get some cheap, yet effective Mexican food. Especially after a night of drinking. Hell, drink a few of the top shelf margaritas, they'll do you right.

Margaritas it is

LongtimeSpursFan
02-25-2014, 09:33 PM

I would have chosen other side of downtown closer to Hemisfair Plaza. That where all the action is.

Splits
02-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Can i get an ass pic? Doesnt have to be nude, tight jeans will work

http://tightsformen.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/big-butt_leggings-horror.jpg

tholdren
02-25-2014, 10:52 PM
http://tightsformen.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/big-butt_leggings-horror.jpg
damn girl yous a 10!

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
02-25-2014, 11:06 PM

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-26-2014, 01:14 AM
Howl at the Moon if you like dueling pianos.

Real Texas BBQ - there's a joint out on I10 past the 1604 loop road about 3-5 miles that does incredible BBQ - HELP ME LOCALS, WHAT'S IT CALLED??? RUDY'S I think - just found it on Google maps: https://plus.google.com/115991309900495783366/about?gl=au&hl=en

Taco Cabana (so sue me, I've had some great meals there in my time in SA :lol ).

birdy219
02-26-2014, 01:14 AM
I was just in Louisiana this past weekend, ate at some place called Steamboat Bills In Lake Charles L.a.
best seafood I've ever had tbh.

I have been there several times and it was good. There are some amazing places to eat seafood in South Louisiana.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-26-2014, 01:18 AM

Hell yes, great call. I was taken to a couple of those by various Spurstalkers back in 2003 and 2007. :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-26-2014, 01:22 AM
If I ever return to San Antonio, the first bar I stop in will be the Oak Hills Tavern.

I stayed about 100 m down the road from that place in 2003 and 2007, and hung out there most nights. Met all kinds of incredible people, true locals, many rabid Spurs fans, and went on all kinds of adventures - a wonderful experience! I wonder what it's like now..?

xmas1997
02-26-2014, 07:04 AM
The question is will you have a car?
And have you ever eaten Tex-Mex food?

For Cajun food you can't beat The Big Easy on Walzem Rd.
Burgers: Chris Madrids
Italian: Papa Dante's in Converse.
Lots of good steak places like the Barn Door.

baseline bum
02-26-2014, 07:50 AM

Real Texas BBQ - there's a joint out on I10 past the 1604 loop road about 3-5 miles that does incredible BBQ - HELP ME LOCALS, WHAT'S IT CALLED??? RUDY'S I think - just found it on Google maps: https://plus.google.com/115991309900495783366/about?gl=au&hl=en

Taco Cabana (so sue me, I've had some great meals there in my time in SA :lol ).

Rudy's is among the worst BBQ in the area bro. Next time you're in SA drive up to Luling.

baseline bum
02-26-2014, 07:55 AM
The question is will you have a car?
And have you ever eaten Tex-Mex food?

For Cajun food you can't beat The Big Easy on Walzem Rd.
Burgers: Chris Madrids

My nigga. I love Big Easy's gumbo, and you don't have to sell a kidney to pay for your meal. Chris Madrid's is awesome too.

xmas1997
02-26-2014, 10:57 AM
My nigga. I love Big Easy's gumbo, and you don't have to sell a kidney to pay for your meal. Chris Madrid's is awesome too.

You have to get there early before noon or the gunbo is all gone by then.
The owner is winning all the local and nearby food fair competitions with her original recipes.
She was chased here by hurricane Katrina because her mom lives here, and she never looked back, thankfully.
She has a website too.

DesignatedT
02-26-2014, 11:06 AM
I'll tell you who has money ass gumbo is that new crawdads sports bar on West Ave and Bitters. The old Hungry Horse. Great food.

baseline bum
02-26-2014, 12:23 PM
You have to get there early before noon or the gunbo is all gone by then.
The owner is winning all the local and nearby food fair competitions with her original recipes.
She was chased here by hurricane Katrina because her mom lives here, and she never looked back, thankfully.
She has a website too.

What else is really great there? The gumbo is so outstanding that I never order anything but it when I go.

xmas1997
02-26-2014, 02:43 PM
What else is really great there? The gumbo is so outstanding that I never order anything but it when I go.

Everything she has is outstanding, but the gumbo is the best I have ever had, even from the best places in New Orleans and in between.
Go online and check out her special concoctions for the week. That would be what to get IMHO.

xmas1997
02-26-2014, 02:44 PM
I'll tell you who has money ass gumbo is that new crawdads sports bar on West Ave and Bitters. The old Hungry Horse. Great food.

Yes, it is great too, but not as good IMHO.

baseline bum
02-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Everything she has is outstanding, but the gumbo is the best I have ever had, even from the best places in New Orleans and in between.
Go online and check out her special concoctions for the week. That would be what to get IMHO.

I have never seen a restaurant where every plate was good. I mean is there anything of the same quality as the gumbo? Plates that aren't to be missed?

Back to the main topic, I highly recommend Big Easy Cafe for the gumbo if you're down to drive to the Northeast side.

One more recommendation: if you're looking for interior Mexican (e.g., Mexico City, not Rio Grande area) there is a place within easy walking distance of the Riverwalk on South St. Mary's Ave called Cascabel's Mexican Patio that has amazing cochinita pibil, pepita mole, tortas, and pozole, and you can get huitlacoche there too (not the easiest shit to find in the US). I love their sopa de fideo, refried black beans, and nopales salad that come with every lunch plate too. They close at 4PM sharp though and aren't open Sundays. Virtually right across the street from the ridiculously overrated Tex-Mex joint Rosarios.

baseline bum
02-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Another Southtown place I can vouch for:

http://www.lafritesa.com/

Damn, I gotta check that place after the endorsements I have read about their mussels.

hsxvvd
02-26-2014, 05:46 PM
The place in Luling, is that the Luling Bar-B-Q?

On my drive to Houston I was going to swing up to Lockhart and go to Smitty's (Which is also my nickname, so a must see stop), but I'm driving from Dallas to San Antonio and figured I could take the scenic route to go to Smitty's on that day, and then swing by Luling on the day I drive to Houston?

I'm planning this from Google Maps, what sort of real time detours am I talking here? Is it worth it?

baseline bum
02-26-2014, 06:04 PM

On my drive to Houston I was going to swing up to Lockhart and go to Smitty's (Which is also my nickname, so a must see stop), but I'm driving from Dallas to San Antonio and figured I could take the scenic route to go to Smitty's on that day, and then swing by Luling on the day I drive to Houston?

I'm planning this from Google Maps, what sort of real time detours am I talking here? Is it worth it?

I have never tried Luling Bar-B-Q nor heard anything about it. The place I was talking about earlier is City Market.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/city-market-luling-3

City Market sausage is incredible. Shit, buy the sausage at City Market and the brisket at Smitty's and you're set (though City Market's brisket is also outstanding). The drive between Lockhart and Luling on Hwy 183 is pretty short if you want to hit both places the same day.

The drive to Luling off I-10 is short. I can't imagine it's more than 10 minutes each way. And it's worth it because the brisket tastes even better after cooling down a bit. Shit will be amazing by the time you get to Houston. To get to City Market make the first left right after you cross the train tracks going north on 183 and it'll be the red building on your right.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Rudy's is among the worst BBQ in the area bro. Next time you're in SA drive up to Luling.

Interesting. I'm not sure it was Rudy's - are there any other BBQ places out along I10 past 1604? Anyway, whatever I had was freakin delicious, and it was a decade ago so things may have changed.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-26-2014, 08:16 PM

Man, I'm so envious... miss SA enormously. Have an AWESOME trip! :)

xmas1997
02-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Rudy's is the place. It's their original place before they franchised, and they are not bad, but there are better mom and pop BBQ places for sure.
And the Luling place was great ten years ago. Now? Overpriced, small portions, and not near as good as they used to be.

TheWriter
02-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Jason Dady is opening a new BBQ place in Southtown. It'll be open by the time to make your visit.

baseline bum
02-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Rudy's is the place. It's their original place before they franchised, and they are not bad, but there are better mom and pop BBQ places for sure.
And the Luling place was great ten years ago. Now? Overpriced, small portions, and not near as good as they used to be.

Small portions in Luling? You order the meat by the pound, except for the sausage, which you get by the ring.

baseline bum
02-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Interesting. I'm not sure it was Rudy's - are there any other BBQ places out along I10 past 1604? Anyway, whatever I had was freakin delicious, and it was a decade ago so things may have changed.

Nah, that's Rudy's. Go to City Market or Smitty's if you ever get back to San Antonio.

xmas1997
02-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Nah, that's Rudy's. Go to City Market or Smitty's if you ever get back to San Antonio.

I would like to try either place.
Do you have their addresses?

xmas1997
02-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Small portions in Luling? You order the meat by the pound, except for the sausage, which you get by the ring.

And you pay an arm and a leg for it too, and it's not even half as good as it was ten years ago.
I don't bother stopping there anymore when I used to look forward to it.

phxspurfan
02-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Check out Rudy's BBQ in Boerne and La Villita downtown on a Sunday. Also, the Japanese/Chinese tea garden is pretty neat, as is the downtown public library. Cool architecture at the library. Also, San Pedro park is one of the oldest parks in the country, next to Boston Common and Central Park I think. Also, you can check out all of the missions (not the baseball team).

phxspurfan
02-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Also, The Landing on the Riverwalk at night has some good jazz

yazz flute

baseline bum
02-26-2014, 09:48 PM
And you pay an arm and a leg for it too, and it's not even half as good as it was ten years ago.
I don't bother stopping there anymore when I used to look forward to it.

Disagree. I have been going there for a long ass time and it still seems the same to me. Yeah, the price is pretty high, though you gotta expect that with the way beef prices have shot to hell the last 10 years. But still, Chisholm Trail in Lockhart is where people I know who live there eat since it's way cheaper than City Market, Smitty, Kreuz, Black's, etc.

It's funny, I hear people say the same thing about Chris Madrid's too, but I think it's every bit as awesome now as it was 25 years ago. The San Antonio landmark that has gone to hell with time is Jacala.

xmas1997
02-26-2014, 10:22 PM
Disagree. I have been going there for a long ass time and it still seems the same to me. Yeah, the price is pretty high, though you gotta expect that with the way beef prices have shot to hell the last 10 years. But still, Chisholm Trail in Lockhart is where people I know who live there eat since it's way cheaper than City Market, Smitty, Kreuz, Black's, etc.

It's funny, I hear people say the same thing about Chris Madrid's too, but I think it's every bit as awesome now as it was 25 years ago. The San Antonio landmark that has gone to hell with time is Jacala.

True about Jacalas. Once upon a time you could get the best enchiladas there, but since the kids took over it went down hill.
It's still good, but not the best anymore.
I know at least ten better here, one better in San Marcos (Herbert's), and five better in the Valley.

And yes, the price is high in Lulling, too high for my tastes anymore. Other places that are as good if not better are not as high priced.
Go figure.

gameFACE
02-27-2014, 12:46 AM
Acenar is my favorite for Mexican food downtown. Someone posted about Cascabel. That's a great place but the hours are limited.

Spur|n|Austin
02-27-2014, 01:02 AM

For TC, make sure you're white boy wasted, and enjoy a side of tortillas and queso.

Acenar is my favorite for Mexican food downtown. Someone posted about Cascabel. That's a great place but the hours are limited.

We love Acenar, it was actually one of my wife and I's first date spots.

I fee like this thread has gone on many times before in the past..

HI-FI
02-27-2014, 01:06 AM
:tu on the advice. I hope to go down there somewhat soon,definitely at least for the playoffs. I used to live in and visit SA a lot more but that was awhile ago, so it's good to see what's happening. SA is really underrated in its restaurants imo.

lefty
02-27-2014, 01:29 AM
For starters, yes.
:lmao

ElNono
02-27-2014, 01:55 AM

damn, that place is cheap...

http://www.chisholmtrailbbq.com/menu.htm

gonna have to check it out if I'm in the area.

baseline bum
02-27-2014, 02:09 AM
damn, that place is cheap...

http://www.chisholmtrailbbq.com/menu.htm

gonna have to check it out if I'm in the area.

I'd stick with the legendary places like City Market or Smitty's for someone just visiting the area. If I lived in the Lockhart area I'd probably eat at Chisholm Trail way more often than the famous places, but even at a 60 mile drive for me I figure I might as well pay for the good shit since I'm rarely in the mood to drive 120 miles roundtrip.

I can't complain too much about the prices. With the internet and cable TV channels like the Food Network giving places like City Market, Smitty's, Kreuz, etc. crazy exposure and then the quality being so high that anyone who goes once will want to keep coming, I'd raise the prices like hell too. I mean City Market seems to always completely sell out of their meat even at the prices they charge, and I have never seen them taking a break in the smoke room; they're always cooking at what looks like full capacity whenever I'm there.

ElNono
02-27-2014, 02:44 AM
I'd stick with the legendary places like City Market or Smitty's for someone just visiting the area. If I lived in the Lockhart area I'd probably eat at Chisholm Trail way more often than the famous places, but even at a 60 mile drive for me I figure I might as well pay for the good shit since I'm rarely in the mood to drive 120 miles roundtrip.

I can't complain too much about the prices. With the internet and cable TV channels like the Food Network giving places like City Market, Smitty's, Kreuz, etc. crazy exposure and then the quality being so high that anyone who goes once will want to keep coming, I'd raise the prices like hell too. I mean City Market seems to always completely sell out of their meat even at the prices they charge, and I have never seen them taking a break in the smoke room; they're always cooking at what looks like full capacity whenever I'm there.

never been around that area... one of these days...