PDA

View Full Version : Tax-Free Weekend

Clandestino
08-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Dumbest thing I've ever heard of.. Save 7-8 bucks per every $100 spent.. weak! plus all the stores are packed!

Cant_Be_Faded
08-04-2005, 06:17 PM
no kidding

there will probably be lines of people waiting to bust into the stores at opening times

goatchalupa
08-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Its just the novelty of cheating Uncle Sam out of 8 bucks. I'd do it just for that.

Ginofan
08-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Do not venture out to the San Marcos Outlet Mall, unless you enjoy death.

ZStomp
08-04-2005, 06:22 PM
It's the thought that counts. :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
08-04-2005, 06:22 PM

crap i didnt think about that

now i will be one of those people waiting in lines for the stores to open

T Park
08-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Tell that to low income familys that could use the extra money asshole.

Clandestino
08-04-2005, 06:31 PM

fuck you, you fat piece of shit.. if they are that poor they can shop at goodwill... if they are out spending hundreds of dollars on clothes and shit, then i can guess why they are poor.. tax free doesn't count on school supplies either..

Duff McCartney
08-04-2005, 06:33 PM

T Park this is one of those times where you are just a flat out moron. Didn't you read what it said? Saving 7-8 dollars for every hundred spent is not something a low income family should be doing.

If they are low income, they wouldn't/couldn't be out spending that kinda money.

samikeyp
08-04-2005, 06:35 PM

or any Wal-Mart! :lol

Faccia di Angelo
08-04-2005, 06:44 PM
fuck you, you fat piece of shit.. if they are that poor they can shop at goodwill... if they are out spending hundreds of dollars on clothes and shit, then i can guess why they are poor.. tax free doesn't count on school supplies either..
thats the part that doesn't make sense, no discount on school supplies, thats where it hurts families the most. Those damn supplies add up!
I was gonna wait to buy work clothes this weekend but forget that, I ended up buying them last weekend and made other plans. I don't think its worth it either. Stores are gonna be packed. I don't need another headache this weekend. I only put up with crowds during the holiday season :)

Clandestino
08-04-2005, 06:47 PM
yeah, doesn't make sense, but i'm sure everything will be on sale a few weeks later and for more than 8% off!

spurs_2108
08-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Yah, but we can get tax free stuff like diapers and depends, but no..... school supplies are still taxed. What a piece of shit. Plus all the people from Mexico will be flocking the stores and they are rude as hell so... We did our shopping last tuesday. It is a lot better off than trying to go this weekend..

Ginofan
08-04-2005, 06:52 PM
or any Wal-Mart! :lol

Ahh Wal-Mart, I forgot about that place...and on any normal day it's a madhouse! Imagine it during tax free weekend. :wow

It's best to stay home, where it's SAFE! :lol

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 06:54 PM
T Park this is one of those times where you are just a flat out moron. Didn't you read what it said? Saving 7-8 dollars for every hundred spent is not something a low income family should be doing.

If they are low income, they wouldn't/couldn't be out spending that kinda money.
Actually, TPark is right on with this one. You have very little concept of what earning money is like, so I don't expect you to understand this.

There are people out there who have to spend that much money on clothes. Kids need to have clothes for school, and even if you shop at cheaper places the amount of said clothes still adds up.

Yeah, it is not going to be the largest savings in the history of the world, but if you saved 8 dollars here and there and sent them to Jim think about how close you would be to paying him off.

Those 7 or 8 dollars add up. Especially for people who don't have a lot of money to throw around.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Thats the one part I don't understand one bit.

Clandestino
08-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Actually, TPark is right on with this one. You have very little concept of what earning money is like, so I don't expect you to understand this.

There are people out there who have to spend that much money on clothes. Kids need to have clothes for school, and even if you shop at cheaper places the amount of said clothes still adds up.

Yeah, it is not going to be the largest savings in the history of the world, but if you saved 8 dollars here and there and sent them to Jim think about how close you would be to paying him off.

Those 7 or 8 dollars add up. Especially for people who don't have a lot of money to throw around.

kids don't need brand new clothes for school... and if you are so poor you should think ahead and buy winter clothes during summer, and summer clothers during winter.. you will save 40-70% instead of 8%..

JoeChalupa
08-04-2005, 07:02 PM
My cheap ass saves money everywhere I can so yeah, I'll be buying school uniforms.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 07:07 PM
kids don't need brand new clothes for school... and if you are so poor you should think ahead and buy winter clothes during summer, and summer clothers during winter.. you will save 40-70% instead of 8%..
What chapter of your book - titled the "Mistake Free Life" - is school supply shopping?

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Oh, and just because a family isn't "poor" doesn't mean they can't put that savings to good use.

I can understand complaints that the list isn't long enough, but otherwise bitching about this weekend is just retarded.

kris
08-04-2005, 07:12 PM
So would the critics rather have the weekend or not?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-04-2005, 07:25 PM
If people want to brave the weekend, so be it.

I was going to hit the Nike outlet to get some new sneakers, but that place is already starting to buzz, so screw that.

I don't even want to be on northbound 35 anytime this weekend (leaving to Corpus early Saturday morning).

And you know what, if the state wants to give a little bit of tax relief to people who wish to spend their money this weekend, it's better than hoarding it and spending it unwisely.

It's not just people that are buying school clothes that take "advantage" of this, it's people who are going to buy clothes in general. More shoppers, more spending.

I went to eat at Lone Star Cafe yesterday, which is at the outlets. I asked my waitress what she expected this weekend to be like and she basically said non-stop, wall-to-wall business. More money spent on the local economy.

For the parents out there... how much do you spend on school clothes? If you could have the tax-free weekend and have it been like any random day of shopping, would you take it?

And yes, if the Lege really wants to give some relief to the families, they'd put school supplies on that list.

Flea
08-04-2005, 07:38 PM
But they aren't saving!
Tons of sales are going on right now and guess when they end? Why Tax Free weekend ofcourse because they know people will be shopping!

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-04-2005, 07:39 PM
But they aren't saving!
Tons of sales are going on right now and guess when they end? Why Tax Free weekend ofcourse because they know people will be shopping!

All the sale signs at Target right now stated that their sales ended Saturday as normal.

At least the one in San Marcos and New Braunfels.

Flea
08-04-2005, 07:40 PM
If people want to brave the weekend, so be it.

I was going to hit the Nike outlet to get some new sneakers, but that place is already starting to buzz, so screw that.

I don't even want to be on northbound 35 anytime this weekend (leaving to Corpus early Saturday morning).

And you know what, if the state wants to give a little bit of tax relief to people who wish to spend their money this weekend, it's better than hoarding it and spending it unwisely.

It's not just people that are buying school clothes that take "advantage" of this, it's people who are going to buy clothes in general. More shoppers, more spending.

I went to eat at Lone Star Cafe yesterday, which is at the outlets. I asked my waitress what she expected this weekend to be like and she basically said non-stop, wall-to-wall business. More money spent on the local economy.

For the parents out there... how much do you spend on school clothes? If you could have the tax-free weekend and have it been like any random day of shopping, would you take it?

And yes, if the Lege really wants to give some relief to the families, they'd put school supplies on that list.

I have 4 kids with 3 in school and one in a 2 day/week KDO. I have spent around $700 for 6 pairs of shoes, clothes(mostly uniforms) and school supplies.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-04-2005, 07:43 PM
I have 4 kids with 3 in school and one in a 2 day/week KDO. I have spent around $700 for 6 pairs of shoes, clothes(mostly uniforms) and school supplies.

So that's (rough estimate) maybe $400/500 worth of clothes that would be tax-free this weekend?

If you could have the tax-free time and you could use it without having to face the problems of this weekend (say you got to do it on any three days you wanted), would you take the $32/40 break? Could you use that money?

Clandestino
08-04-2005, 07:43 PM
What chapter of your book - titled the "Mistake Free Life" - is school supply shopping?

It is not in "The Mistake Free Life." It is in the first book I wrote, "Common Sense Things Every Poor Motherfucker Should Know."

Flea
08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
So would the critics rather have the weekend or not?

I'm not against it though I really doubt it helps much. If they did want to help then school supplies would be on the list. I think that would be hard to regulate though because of alot of businesses would go buy office suplies and get the tax break. I enjoy savings but the headache trying to shop with all those people is not worth it to me.

Flea
08-04-2005, 07:45 PM
So that's (rough estimate) maybe $400/500 worth of clothes that would be tax-free this weekend?

If you could have the tax-free time and you could use it without having to face the problems of this weekend (say you got to do it on any three days you wanted), would you take the $32/40 break? Could you use that money?

No crowds? Ofcourse! :)

Clandestino
08-04-2005, 07:45 PM

Who the fuck wouldn't? The problem is, it is only 1 weekend and it is played up like some Godsend. In reality, it is just to screw the poor person into spending money they probably wouldn't.

Kori Ellis
08-04-2005, 07:47 PM
The problem is, it is only 1 day and it is played up like some Godsend

It's 3 days - August 5 - 7.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-04-2005, 07:48 PM
it is only 1 day and it is played up like some Godsend.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx98_490/tx98_490.html

Sales Tax Holiday
August 5-7, 2005

Texas shoppers get a break from state and local sales taxes on August 5, 6, and 7--the state's seventh annual tax holiday. Lay-away plans can be used again this year to take advantage of the sales tax holiday.

The law exempts most clothing and footwear priced under $100 from sales and use taxes, which could save shoppers about $8 on every $100 they spend.

A word of caution: If you sell items that do not qualify for the exemption, you may not advertise or promise that you will pay your customers' sales tax. Additionally, you are prohibited from advertising that you will not collect sales tax during the holiday on items that do not qualify. You may advertise that tax is included in the sales price of the taxable items that you sell, however.

For information on how to report tax on these sales, please visit Reporting Sales Tax on Tax-Free Items or call us toll free at 1-800-252-5555.

-----

Apparently, Clan, you need a refresher in...

http://www.kckpl.lib.ks.us/kckpl/eslib/images/hmath.gif

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Who the fuck wouldn't? The problem is, it is only 1 day and it is played up like some Godsend. In reality, it is just to screw the poor person into spending money they probably wouldn't.
It is 3 days and I don't think anyone said its a sign of the second coming, just a break and a way to save a few bucks.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-04-2005, 07:49 PM
In reality, it is just to screw the poor person into spending money they probably wouldn't.

I'm sure the people shopping at the outlets this weekend will be happy to hear you save them from themselves.

Go ahead, go out there and tell them. Sell your book. Hell, you can even stay at my place this weekend if you want.

I'm afraid I will have to charge you tax on your stay, though.

Clandestino
08-04-2005, 07:50 PM
It is 3 days and I don't think anyone said its a sign of the second coming, just a break and a way to save a few bucks.

but you could save way more if you shopped at other times of the year.. this is a measly 8%. If you were smarter you would have shopped during other sale times..

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-04-2005, 07:51 PM
but you could save way more if you shopped at other times of the year.. this is a measly 8%. If you were smarter you would have shopped during other sale times..

And if your aunt had a dick, she'd be your uncle.

If people want to save 8% this weekend, then let them.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 07:53 PM
but you could save way more if you shopped at other times of the year.. this is a measly 8%. If you were smarter you would have shopped during other sale times.. Kids grow Clan. I know its hard for you to understand because you're not a parent, but you can't always do things that way. The reality is that most parents have to buy shit at this point before school starts and they will have to buy some more clothes in the near future.

Clandestino
08-04-2005, 07:53 PM
TAX-FREE TAXED
Baby clothes
Belts with attached buckles
Boots - cowboy, hiking
Caps/hats - baseball, fishing, golf, knitted
Coats and wraps
Diapers - adult and baby
Dresses
Gloves (generally)
Gym suits and uniforms
Hooded shirts and hooded sweatshirts
Hosiery
Jackets
Jeans
Jerseys - baseball and football jerseys are, but not cleats or pads? wtf?
Jogging apparel
Neckwear and ties
Pajamas
Pants and trousers
Raincoats and ponchos
Robeswtf?
Shirts
Shoes - sandals, slippers, sneakers, tennis, walking
Socks (including athletic)
Shorts
Suits, slacks, and jackets
Sweatshirts
Sweat suits
Sweaters
Swimsuits
Underclothes
Work clothes and uniforms

TAXED

Accessories (generally) - barrettes, elastic ponytail holders, wallets, watches
Backpacks
Baseball cleats and pants
Belt buckles (without belt)
Boots - climbing, fishing, rubber work boots, ski, waders
Buttons and zippers
Cloth and lace, knitting yarns, and other fabrics
Dry cleaning services
Football pants
Golf gloves
Handbags and purses
Handkerchiefs
Hard hats
Helmets - bike, baseball, football, hockey, motorcycle, sports
Ice skates
Jewelry
Laundering services
Leather goods - except belts with buckles and wearing apparel
Pads - football, hockey, soccer, elbow, knee, shoulder
Personal flotation devices
Rented clothing (including uniforms, formal wear, and costumes)
Roller blades and skates
Safety clothing, glasses
Shoes - bicycle (cleated), bowling, golf

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 07:54 PM
And with uniforms, you can't use the whole buy winter clothes in summer and vice versa shit.

Clandestino
08-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Kids grow Clan. I know its hard for you to understand because you're not a parent, but you can't always do things that way. The reality is that most parents have to buy shit at this point before school starts and they will have to buy some more clothes in the near future.

not talking only out of season.. i'm talking back to school sales and stuff like that...

Flea

I have to agree. You can't tell me that the stores don't jack up their prices or maybe they are no longer 30% off but 20%. If they keep the same prices I have seen for the month of July then I'll admit I am wrong but I am not about to go out this weekend to prove it.:)

MannyIsGod
So you're beef is not with the weekend but with the fact that they don't have enough lists?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-04-2005, 07:59 PM
http://walmart.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/catalog_walmart/august_tab_2005_2190/index.asp?banner=Advertised%20Values&eDate=Effective%20July%2029%20-%20August%206,%202005&rfx_dontcache=&drpStoreID=2864&store=6703%20East%20Leslie%20Road%2CSan%20Antonio% 2CTX%2C78254&zip=78254

Here's the WalMart circular for my neighborhood in San Antonio. I don't have kids, so I don't know what's a good price on their clothing or not.

Are these prices jacked-up any to off-set tax-free weekend?

I just picked a random city (Topeka, KS) and here's their circular.

http://walmart.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/catalog_walmart/august_tab_2005_1679/index.asp?banner=Advertised%20Values&eDate=Effective%20July%2029%20-%20August%206,%202005&rfx_dontcache=&drpStoreID=2131&store=1301%20Sw%2037Th%20Street%2CTopeka%2CKS%2C66 611&zip=66611

Prices are the same for those clothes.

ShoogarBear
This is a little off-subject, but do they wear uniforms in the SA public schools now?

Clandestino
So you're beef is not with the weekend but with the fact that they don't have enough lists?

nice try to twist my words.. but read back up and you'll see my beef.

Johnny_Blaze_47
This is a little off-subject, but do they wear uniforms in the SA public schools now?

It's based on district and sometimes individual schools.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 08:04 PM
I haven't seen anything to say the retailers are rasing their prices. Show me something of substance, and I might buy into the theory.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-04-2005, 08:06 PM
I haven't seen anything to say the retailers are rasing their prices. Show me something of substance, and I might buy into the theory.

I just bought some shorts @ Target.

Originally prices $20, on sale for $15. Sale ends Saturday.

Flea
08-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Is anyone shopping at Dillards this weekend? I bought a bunch of stuff for my 3yo. They were 30% off......curious to see if they are the same price.

Flea
08-04-2005, 08:13 PM

It depends. My daughter has to wear them for middle school and she attends Northeast ISD.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2005, 08:18 PM
I just bought some shorts @ Target.

Originally prices $20, on sale for $15. Sale ends Saturday.
All of their sales normally end that day, right?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-04-2005, 08:19 PM
All of their sales normally end that day, right?

AFAIK, yes.

Flea
08-04-2005, 08:20 PM

That would mean going out there this weekend and I refuse!
JB just showed a link to walmart though proving me wrong.

spurs_2108
08-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Don't forget that all the people from Mexico will be here this weekend. They are really rude!!

scott
08-04-2005, 11:30 PM
After reading this thread, I am against the tax holiday.

There are millions of dollars of tax revenue that are foregone for this thing every year.

We need to use that money to pump it back into schools... so that we won't have idiots like Clandestino running around.

T Park
08-05-2005, 12:54 AM
We need to use that money to pump it back into schools... so that we won't have idiots like Clandestino running around.

lmao well said Scott.

Once again, any money you can SAVE is fantastic.

Typical of people that have no concept of money, or any concept of saving IE Duff MCLeech
dont understand that to a family of say 4

guy makes 35 grand a year.

Shopping for school clothes for the kids that GROW, this is a fantastic 3 days.

Should more be included?? Yeah backpacks and school supplies should.

But whatever these famalies can save, no matter how little it is, thats like bitching about getting the tax rebate Bush instituted a couple years ago
"Well its only 200 dollars"

WTF, any money taht you can KEEP out of the Government's pocket, and in YOURS is a great thing.

I still cant believe how many people look stuff like this that can HELP real people out in the mouth.

I am well off, and I earn a great living, but I had friends in school that werent as lucky as me, and I understand where they come from, or what it is like when you can take advantage of stuff like this.

Swishy McJackass
08-05-2005, 12:55 AM
I know of several places that are having sales this weekend. In fact, I have a part-time job at a uniform store (scrubs, labcoats, etc.), and we're having a 1/3 off sale. Friday thru Sunday.

My other part-time job is not having a sale, but they surely do not jack up prices just for the weekend.

I've experienced the San Marcos outlets on tax-free weekend. What a clusterfuck that is.

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Most places do not have sales this weekend. Therefore people save only 8%. They should just wait for a sale or have shopped last week to save way more than 8%. My gf's sister just shopped at JCPenny for her 3 kids. She said, they had a special. For every $50 you bought you got $10 off. Wow, that is more than 8%. That was on top of the 30-70% off tons of shit in the store. She bought all her kids clothing for $200!

But, I guess that is stupid right, TPark, Scott, and foofida.. She should have waited and bought the same stuff for $700 so she could have saved a whopping $56!

KEDA
08-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Actually Tax free weekend is pretty bad for us

We spend an extra 5 minutes per transaction explaining to customers the fact that you can go get a 100 dollar pair of sneakers tax free, but your pencils and notebook filler paper have to be taxed.

I have never understood why school supplies have to be taxed but clothes do not.

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 08:44 AM
and even then it has to be under $100 an item. so, their new basketball shoes are most likely not tax-free.

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Here's the point. You can't say that tax free weekend doesn't benefit anyone. Thats great that your girlfriend's-siters-cousins-neices-kids got a sweet deal at JC Penney's. It's almost the feel good story of the summer, but what if someone gets paid today and this is their paycheck where they have a few free bucks? I usually am on the same side of the political line when it comes to politics with you, but "common sense" just doesn't apply when you're living paycheck to paycheck. Hell, most low-income parents will only buy their kids two pairs of school pants until Christmas, so it's not like they're spending hundreds of dollars on school supplies.

More things need to be added to that list though. That's ridiculous.

:lmao
:spin :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Maybe some of the haters will get it when they have a wife and 2-3 kids to put through school, those costs add up in a hurry.

You're not talking about $8. Usually parents buy as much of a new back to school wardrobe for their kids as they can afford, which if you've got multiple kids could run you several hundred dollars.

Yeah, it's just $8 per hundred, but if they drop $300-$400 on clothes that's school supplies for the kid for the whole fall, maybe even spring.

Thanks for the reminder on this weekend though, I'm gonna go to the lake all weekend and stay the hell away from the stores :lol

SWC Bonfire
08-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Most places do not have sales this weekend. Therefore people save only 8%. They should just wait for a sale or have shopped last week to save way more than 8%. My gf's sister just shopped at JCPenny for her 3 kids. She said, they had a special. For every $50 you bought you got $10 off. Wow, that is more than 8%. That was on top of the 30-70% off tons of shit in the store. She bought all her kids clothing for $200!

But, I guess that is stupid right, TPark, Scott, and foofida.. She should have waited and bought the same stuff for $700 so she could have saved a whopping $56!

That's been my observation as well. I'm not a big shopper, so my contact with this may be limited, but it seems like you get better net savings from a sales event than from the tax-free weekend. The stores love it, they can charge a little more than the sales prices they were planning to sell them on a sales weekend, and pocket the difference vs. sending it to the state as sales tax.

ObiwanGinobili
08-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Dumbest thing I've ever heard of.. Save 7-8 bucks per every $100 spent.. weak! plus all the stores are packed!

yes... BUT everyone's also throwing huge sales. And if you go to places like Sears they are GUARENTEED to have an extra 50-75% off of the clearance price :tu :tu :smokin can't go wrong on that.

Also the stores will really be hping to make thier $$ on back to school shit and will be hoping to unload the last of thier summer/spring stuff. So I laways buy up thier summer/spring stuff.. since i wear it all year round and I'll be set for next spring & summer. :princess

SpursWoman
08-05-2005, 09:42 AM

I did that last year......an hour wait for a fitting room praying to God that what you picked out for your kid(s) fit, and hour wait for the restroom

Fuck that. Rolling Oaks Mall wasn't that bad. :fro

SWC Bonfire
08-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Certain agricultural items automatically don't have sales tax (like feed, vaccinations, etc.) Why do backpacks and obvious school supplies (not to be used as office supplies) have to be taxed, anytime? You should be able to fill out a tax-exempt form for school-related purposes.

ObiwanGinobili
08-05-2005, 09:44 AM
and even then it has to be under $100 an item. so, their new basketball shoes are most likely not tax-free.

:lol
any parent spending that much $$ on 1 pair of shoes for thier kid needs to have thier head examined....unless they got Oprah type money.
imagine spending that much on kicks and your growing preteen/teen's feet are too big for them 5 months later.. :rolleyes

ObiwanGinobili
08-05-2005, 09:46 AM
I did that last year......an hour wait for a fitting room praying to God that what you picked out for your kid(s) fit, and hour wait for the restroom

Ingram Park mall is the shit.
everyone heads out to Rolling Oaks or North Star on TFW.. but not me. I'm loyal.

SpursWoman
08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
I have to agree. You can't tell me that the stores don't jack up their prices or maybe they are no longer 30% off but 20%. If they keep the same prices I have seen for the month of July then I'll admit I am wrong but I am not about to go out this weekend to prove it.:)

Actually, when I went last year...Foley's was having an awesome sale (and tons of stuff --like all the summer clothes that they still wear until November-- in the clearance racks) on top of the sales tax break. :)

Flea
08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
any parent spending that much $$ on 1 pair of shoes for thier kid needs to have thier head examined....unless they got Oprah type money.
imagine spending that much on kicks and your growing preteen/teen's feet are too big for them 5 months later.. :rolleyes

I agree, if you are spending that much on shoes for a kid then you don't need to be worrying about tax free days.

I spent $100 on 4 pairs for two kids. I bought the buy 1 get 1/2 off at a shoe store at the Forum last week.

SpursWoman
08-05-2005, 09:51 AM

My kids are very hard on shoes, the cheaper the crap I buy them, the more frequently they have to be replaced. Some places I just don't compromise. :)

Flea
08-05-2005, 09:53 AM
My kids are very hard on shoes, the cheaper the crap I buy them, the more frequently they have to be replaced. Some places I just don't compromise. :)

Well I definitely don't buy cheap but I don't spend $100/shoes either. Speaking of shoes when did converse canvas shoes become so expensive? Its not like they could possibly cost a lot to make.

Flea
08-05-2005, 09:55 AM

I cannot handle that. My sanity is worth more than the $30-40 I would save.

ObiwanGinobili
08-05-2005, 09:55 AM
I agree, if you are spending that much on shoes for a kid then you don't need to be worrying about tax free days.

I spent $100 on 4 pairs for two kids. I bought the buy 1 get 1/2 off at a shoe store at the Forum last week.

hell, I just bought 2 pairs of shoes for myself off the clearence on Target.com and the total with shipping was less then $20. :lol

My kids are very hard on shoes, the cheaper the crap I buy them, the more frequently they have to be replaced. Some places I just don't compromise.

So for clarification: you WOULD/DO spend $100 + on 1 pair of shoes for your kids? Casue thats the $$ amount Clandestino was talking about.

SpursWoman
08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Ingram Park mall is the shit.
everyone heads out to Rolling Oaks or North Star on TFW.. but not me. I'm loyal.

I hate North Star Mall, and Rolling Oaks is the next closest. I've been going there since it first opened....when we referred to it as the "Ghost Mall". :)

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
I've seen advertisements for sales at:

JC Penny
Foleys
Target

And the truth is, I've never been to a store that isn't having a sale. They are ALWAYS having sales.

Yet, Clandestino and his intangible - and actually to this point non-existant - evidence say that there are no sales this weekend and that they actually raise prices as well.

Priceless.

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 09:58 AM
When I was a kid, it was better to spend 50 bucks on my basketball shoes at the least, because something like that would last 4 or 5 months while something that was 10 bucks would last me a week at most.

I lived on the court or in the gym, though. But basically that was the way it went.

I never got anything more expensive than 55 bucks or so untill I started working. I could see my mother dying if I asked her for 100 dollar shoes. :lol

ObiwanGinobili
08-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Well I definitely don't buy cheap but I don't spend $100/shoes either. Speaking of shoes when did converse canvas shoes become so expensive? Its not like they could possibly cost a lot to make.

they are "cool" again. when you wearing them your making a statement.. and aparently you have to pay for that statement.

I buy certain brands of sneakers (airwalk, skechers, k-swiss) becasue they have proven themselves to be the most comfortable and longest lasting on my feet. (when i buy sneakers I expect them to last me and my hubby around a year and a half on average).
But these shoes are often pretty expensive. NO problem.. I buy "last years" models that are going out on the major clearences... usually in Sept. and Feb.

SpursWoman
08-05-2005, 09:59 AM
So for clarification: you WOULD/DO spend $100 + on 1 pair of shoes for your kids? Casue thats the $$ amount Clandestino was talking about.

I just spent $70 on a pair of tennis shoes for my daughter. And she will wear them out before she out grows them. I'm a shoe snob, sue me. :)

I also bought them LAST weekend. :fro

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Ask TLong why Converse are so expensive now. His company bought them out.

ObiwanGinobili
08-05-2005, 10:01 AM
I just spent $70 on a pair of tennis shoes for my daughter. I'm a shoe snob, sue me. :)

:oops omg I think I fainted.
j/k

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 10:02 AM
I've seen advertisements for sales at:

JC Penny
Foleys
Target

And the truth is, I've never been to a store that isn't having a sale. They are ALWAYS having sales.

Yet, Clandestino and his intangible - and actually to this point non-existant - evidence say that there are no sales this weekend and that they actually raise prices as well.

Priceless.

pull your ears back..they are covering your eyes. bc i never said what you claim i said.

SpursWoman
08-05-2005, 10:06 AM
:oops omg I think I fainted.
j/k

It gets better, though.....they are ugly as SHIT. But I took a deep breath and refused to be one of those moms that forces my taste on my children.

We were arguing at Journey's that if those were the ones she just HAD TO HAVE...I didn't GAF that they didn't match a damn thing she owns but she's going to wear them anyway. :)

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 10:09 AM
pull your ears back..they are covering your eyes. bc i never said what you claim i said.

Right. Dumbest idea ever right? Well, you have Duff in your corner. He's definetly one who spots the good ideas!

SWC Bonfire
08-05-2005, 10:12 AM
I don't think he claimed that there were never sales. He just stated that net costs were lower on later sale weekends. I'm sure this is the case in some stores, and not in others.

KEDA
08-05-2005, 10:12 AM
No, Duff gets the good deals on school loans, get it right Manny!

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:16 AM
I don't think he claimed that there were never sales. He just stated that net costs were lower on later sale weekends. I'm sure this is the case in some stores, and not in others.

Most places do not have sales this weekend.

Yet, Clandestino and his intangible - and actually to this point non-existant - evidence say that there are no sales this weekend

No, I'm pretty sure he claimed there were not sales at most places this weekend.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:19 AM
And just for good measure, I stopped at Highland Mall in Austin about 45 minutes ago to check for a cap at Lids.

The damn place was nearly empty. They have a Dillards, JCPenney, Foley's, Payless, Foot Locker, et al.

And yes, I finally found the cap I wanted in the size I wanted. With my discount card and the tax-free, I paid $23.99 for a cap that would normally have run (w/o discount card) ~$32.

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 10:20 AM
No, I'm pretty sure he claimed there were not sales at most places this weekend.

I said, MOST.. and I totally believe that. MOST DO NOT. I didn't say ALL.

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 10:21 AM
And just for good measure, I stopped at Highland Mall in Austin about 45 minutes ago to check for a cap at Lids.

The damn place was nearly empty. They have a Dillards, JCPenney, Foley's, Payless, Foot Locker, et al.

And yes, I finally found the cap I wanted in the size I wanted. With my discount card and the tax-free, I paid $23.99 for a cap that would normally have run (w/o discount card) ~$32.

wow! a whole $1.88 in savings!

ObiwanGinobili
08-05-2005, 10:23 AM
I never got anything more expensive than 55 bucks or so untill I started working. I could see my mother dying if I asked her for 100 dollar shoes. :lol

yeah.
my mom would have either laughed her ass off, slapped me silly ..... or both.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:23 AM
I said, MOST.. and I totally believe that. MOST DO NOT. I didn't say ALL.

I didn't say you said all.

And again, for good measure.

Since there were no crowds, I glanced briefly at the department stores and some of the other stores I mentioned.

Sales at: Dillards, JCPenney, Foley's, Payless, Kids Foot Locker
No Sales at: Foot Locker, Lids (although they did have the buy one, get one half off on certain caps...primarily the college ones).

Flea
08-05-2005, 10:24 AM
PROOF!!!!

Ok, I went through my DIllard's receipt and clothes that I bought for my 3yo last week. The sale they had last week was an extra 30% off the sale price. The total amount I spent on her outfits was $51.06. No tax.
I called them right now and asked if they were having the same sale. She said NO, their sale was now 50% off the original price. Sounds better right? WRONG! If I purchased the same clothes now the total would be $61.46.

I love it when I'm right!!!

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

ObiwanGinobili
08-05-2005, 10:25 AM
It gets better, though.....they are ugly as SHIT. But I took a deep breath and refused to be one of those moms that forces my taste on my children.
We were arguing at Journey's that if those were the ones she just HAD TO HAVE...I didn't GAF that they didn't match a damn thing she owns but she's going to wear them anyway. :)

god.. i know... I'm allready worried about "accidentl;y" making my kids look like the hugest dorks thru my good intentions. much the same way my mom did. She's a good women.. but her sense of style died a quick death the day I was born.....i remeber HATING the clothes I had to wear in elementry.. and gettign my butt kicked..... and my mom was only in her mid-20's= WTF was wrong with her????

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 10:28 AM
PROOF!!!!

Ok, I went through my DIllard's receipt and clothes that I bought for my 3yo last week. The sale they had last week was an extra 30% off the sale price. The total amount I spent on her outfits was $51.06. No tax.
I called them right now and asked if they were having the same sale. She said NO, their sale was now 50% off the original price. Sounds better right? WRONG! If I purchased the same clothes now the total would be $61.46.

:elephant :tu

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:32 AM
wow! a whole $1.88 in savings!

Yes, because I obviously waited for this exact weekend to buy my cap. It's $1.88 extra that I have in pocket on an item that you theoretically wouldn't buy for your kids while clothes shopping for back-to-school.

Your whole contention in this thread has been...

All the stores are packed.

I was just at a semi-major mall with big-name stores in Austin, TX by two major roadways that opened one hour early for all the crowds and it was easier for me to find a parking space than it usually is.

It is only one day and it is played up like some Godsend

Granted, you fixed that, but you should really invest in a math book.

"How many days is Friday to Sunday, kids?"

"Three, Mr. Blaze!"

Most places do not have sales this weekend.

Let's see...in the "non-Metro Metroplex of San Antonio, San Marcos, Austin", we have shown that Wal-Mart, Target, Dillards, JCPenney, Foley's, Payless Shoes, Kids Foot Locker, the Nike Outlet, Old Navy Outlet, the Gap Outlet, et al. are all having sales during this weekend.

Do you enjoy being wrong, Clan?

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Flea, thats one item. How often do stores run sales on the same item on back to back weeks?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:35 AM
PROOF!!!!

Congratulations. You proved Clan's point that smart shoppers might save some money at other times.

Unfortunately, that doesn't prove that stores "jack up the prices." Sales come, sales go.

Kourtnie
08-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Ya that whole tax free weekend is not worth it... What people dont know they do this on purpose.. I know someone that works for Fedex and from what i heard they do this so they can sell all the clothes they cannot sell through out the year so they can clean all the clothes out... When this whole thing is over they bring in a whole new shipment of new clothes... Therefore your pretty much buying clothes that is left over that didnt sell....

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Congratulations. You proved Clan's point that smart shoppers might save some money at other times.

Unfortunately, that doesn't prove that stores "jack up the prices." Sales come, sales go.

i never said, stores jack up prices... i said, you can and will save more on any other sale weekend on most items...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Ya that whole tax free weekend is not worth it... What people dont know they do this on purpose.. I know someone that works for Fedex and from what i heard they do this so they can sell all the clothes they cannot sell through out the year so they can clean all the clothes out... When this whole thing is over they bring in a whole new shipment of new clothes... Therefore your pretty much buying clothes that is left over that didnt sell....

Weren't stores getting rid of their clothes that didn't sell around this time eight years ago?

Aggie Hoopsfan
Wow you busted everyone Flea. An item on sale one week has never gone up the next week :lol

I just bought a new TV that was on sale two weeks ago for $2600, and is now listing at 3100. Imagine that. Prices can change on a product. I'm shocked!

Flea

I never meant to say that they "jack up" their prices, I just don't think their sales are as good as they have been. They market it all to look and sound good and some places may really have better deals during this time but I just don't buy that the savings is all that magnificent.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:41 AM
i never said, stores jack up prices... i said, you can and will save more on any other sale weekend on most items...

I'm sorry.

Can you point to me where I said "Clandestino said stores jack up the prices"?

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 10:41 AM
I never meant to say that they "jack up" their prices, I just don't think their sales are as good as they have been. They market it all to look and sound good and some places may really have better deals during this time but I just don't buy that the savings is all that magnificent.

but technically, the price was raised at the store you went to. before the tax free weekend you paid 50 and during the tax free weekend, you would have paid 60... they jacked up the price by $10...

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 10:42 AM

Flea
08-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Flea, thats one item. How often do stores run sales on the same item on back to back weeks?

Manny you asked for substance and I gave it to you. Now the shoes I bought, they are still having the same sale so I would have saved $8.00. Ofcourse that would have meant hoping that your child does not have a melt down because someone took the last size of shoe they wanted really, really bad. The $8 is not worth THAT!

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Wow. You can get that from two independent thoughts.

Pick out the one meaning in these two independent thoughts.

You.

Are wrong.

Johnny_Blaze_47

I refer you to post #41 in this thread.

SpursWoman
but technically, the price was raised at the store you went to. before the tax free weekend you paid 50 and during the tax free weekend, you would have paid 60... they jacked up the price by $10...

No, they didn't jack up the price, they just changed their sale....which is something they do EVERY WEEK. Instead of paying $100 or whatever she's only paying $60.

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Manny you asked for substance and I gave it to you. Now the shoes I bought, they are still having the same sale so I would have saved $8.00. Ofcourse that would have meant hoping that your child does not have a melt down because someone took the last size of shoe they wanted really, really bad. The $8 is not worth THAT!
Flea, you provided some substance, but it was on one item. And an item that was on sale last week. That doesn't mean that other items won't be cheaper this weekend, it proves that the item you bought was cheaper last weekend.

And while that would make a stronger point if there weren't other items going on sale this weekend that will be cheaper, there are items going on sale this weekend that will be cheaper.

Flea
08-05-2005, 10:47 AM

THAT is what I meant. I also said I would admit it if I was wrong....why can't you do the same?

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Flea, the problem is that any item that was on sale last week, will probably not be on sale this weekend. That is how retail works. But if other items go on sale this weekend, it is cancelled out because while your item is more expensive, there are other items that are cheaper.

Flea
08-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Flea, you provided some substance, but it was on one item. And an item that was on sale last week. That doesn't mean that other items won't be cheaper this weekend, it proves that the item you bought was cheaper last weekend.

And while that would make a stronger point if there weren't other items going on sale this weekend that will be cheaper, there are items going on sale this weekend that will be cheaper.

The sale was on CHILDREN'S clothing!!! Isn't that what this is all about? Their whole sale last week was 30% of items ALREADY on sale. Now they changed it to 50% off orginal prices.

Ok so some things may be cheaper and some things may be more. Good Luck finding which is which when you are out shopping on this weekend thinking you are saving all kinds of money when in reality you may not be.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:51 AM
THAT is what I meant. I also said I would admit it if I was wrong....why can't you do the same?

Okay, maybe you should bold off the part you mean in your post the first time. Because when I see you write "jack up the prices", I think you mean "jack up the prices."

Will your three-year-old outgrow her $51 outfit? Yes.

Will your three-year-old need another outfit before the exact sale comes around that makes it $51? Maybe.

Will you hold off on purchasing one if she needs it? No.

Guess what, people need to buy clothes and guess what, some of the clothes they want to buy this weekend will not only have a sale, but be tax-free.

I'm not saying this is a Godsend for Texans. I'm not saying that everybody should buy all their clothes this weekend.

What I am saying is that some people can benefit from this weekend and it in fact, does not suck for those people that choose to benefit from this weekend.

And yes, I was wrong. The Mariners do suck this season.

Flea
08-05-2005, 10:52 AM
No, they didn't jack up the price, they just changed their sale....which is something they do EVERY WEEK. Instead of paying $100 or whatever she's only paying $60.

The original cost would have been $122.
I would not have bought them at those prices.

SpursWoman
08-05-2005, 10:52 AM
The sale was on CHILDREN'S clothing!!! Isn't that what this is all about? Their whole sale last week was 30% of items ALREADY on sale. Now they changed it to 50% off orginal prices.

But it's still a lot better than paying original price, no? 50% off is still an awesome sale. :)

Flea
08-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Okay, maybe you should bold off the part you mean in your post the first time. Because when I see you write "jack up the prices", I think you mean "jack up the prices."

Will your three-year-old outgrow her $51 outfit? Yes.

Will your three-year-old need another outfit before the exact sale comes around that makes it $51? Maybe.

Will you hold off on purchasing one if she needs it? No.

Guess what, people need to buy clothes and guess what, some of the clothes they want to buy this weekend will not only have a sale, but be tax-free.

I'm not saying this is a Godsend for Texans. I'm not saying that everybody should buy all their clothes this weekend.

What I am saying is that some people can benefit from this weekend and it in fact, does not suck for those people that choose to benefit from this weekend.

And yes, I was wrong. The Mariners do suck this season.

For the record it was 5 outfits....cause I am a smart shopper. :hat

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:53 AM

Ok so some things may be cheaper and some things may be more. Good Luck finding which is which when you are out shopping on this weekend thinking you are saving all kinds of money when in reality you may not be.

Who has come in here saying that people will save all kinds of money this weekend.

I have come into this thread under the thought that this weekend does not, in fact, suck.

Are there going to be people that use this weekend? Should people just not do their shopping this weekend since thery're not saving money?

I mean, if people are getting raped on the prices, why shop? Why buy anything this weekend?

Tell me that there are not people who won't use this weekend to their benefit.

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 10:54 AM

Flea
But it's still a lot better than paying original price, no? :)

Yep and I still would have bought them at that price. Thank God I have plans to be floating on the Guadalupe river instead. :drunk

Clandestino
but 51 last week is better than 60 with the tax free weekend.no?

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 10:56 AM

So, fucking, STUPID.

And this is the kind of person we have in Military Intelligence? No wonder we can't catch Bin Laden.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:56 AM
For the record it was 5 outfits....cause I am a smart shopper. :hat

Nobody's saying you aren't.

What I am asking for, without qualification, is for you, Clandestino, Duff, Kourtnie and everybody else in this thread that there are not people who will benefit from this weekend.

Have I said this is the perfect weekend to buy? No, I haven't.

Does the state need to get off their ass and tailor this weekend to benefit the Texans most at-need for relief? Damn straight.

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 10:57 AM
so, i guess you would have rather paid the 60, just so a few bucks wouldn't have gone to the government in the form of taxes! stupid ass libertarian...

ObiwanGinobili
08-05-2005, 10:58 AM
wow :wow

we are all some very bored very desperate people this off season.

it's sad really... sooo sad.

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 10:58 AM
so, i guess you would have rather paid the 60, just so a few bucks wouldn't have gone to the government in the form of taxes! stupid ass libertarian...
Actually, all things being equal would I rather the money go to the government or a private entity? A private entity.

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Will this thread beat the quattro thread or will it end on sunday at midnight?

Flea
08-05-2005, 10:59 AM
but 51 last week is better than 60 with the tax free weekend.no?

:tu

I hate crowds, which is why I also have all my Christmas shopping done early Nov. And don't bitch at me about sales in Dec. :flipoff

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 11:00 AM
wow :wow

we are all some very bored very desperate people this off season.

it's sad really... sooo sad.

That's the best part of The Club. Where else (and I'm not being facetious) can we have discussions like this about issues around us with such a diverse cast of people?

Flea
08-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Nobody's saying you aren't.

What I am asking for, without qualification, is for you, Clandestino, Duff, Kourtnie and everybody else in this thread that there are not people who will benefit from this weekend.

Have I said this is the perfect weekend to buy? No, I haven't.

Does the state need to get off their ass and tailor this weekend to benefit the Texans most at-need for relief? Damn straight.

I agree JB. I was WRONG in saying that people did not save any money at all.
I'm sure there will be people who benefit and I know alot of people are not fortunate enough to shop early.....maybe they are waiting on child support(my sister) or a paycheck.

I just don't buy all the hype from the RETAILERS who are in it to make a profit.

ObiwanGinobili
08-05-2005, 11:05 AM
That's the best part of The Club. Where else (and I'm not being facetious) can we have discussions like this about issues around us with such a diverse cast of people?

we're diverse?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I just don't buy all the hype from the RETAILERS who are in it to make a profit.

Totally agree.

But as TPark would say, "businesses are in it to make money."

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Well yeah, don't buy the hype from them. Dillards certainly isn't going to get the warm fuzzies over this weekend by helping out some family buy clothes cheap, but that can be said for any weekend of the year.

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Actually, all things being equal would I rather the money go to the government or a private entity? A private entity.

Manny complains about the government not providing enough services, but he says he would rather give money to a private entity than to the government.. doesn't make sense.

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Manny complains about the government not providing enough services, but he says he would rather give money to a private entity than to the government.. doesn't make sense.
I complain about the government spending money poorly.

It does make sense, you're just too stupid too comprehend things.

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 11:23 AM
I complain about the government spending money poorly.

It does make sense, you're just too stupid too comprehend things.

you complain about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING the government does..

You also complain about businesses... i think you need to go live in a hut in the woods in the middle of nowhere playing your guitar.

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 11:24 AM

you complain about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING the government does..

You also complain about businesses... i think you need to go live in a hut in the woods in the middle of nowhere playing your guitar.
I don't complain about everything the government does. You just have selective reading.

And I don't complain about every business, just the ones that perform illegal activities.

Is that really so difficult to understand?

bigzak25
08-05-2005, 11:28 AM
i could use a new shirt. i can't wait to save some major bucks!

i will report back the prices at penners and big n tall. :tu

if i spend a $100 bux? that's like 8 double cheeseburgers in the bank. chaaaching. :smokin

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 11:44 AM
i could use a new shirt. i can't wait to save some major bucks!

i will report back the prices at penners and big n tall. :tu

if i spend a $100 bux? that's like 8 double cheeseburgers in the bank. chaaaching. :smokin

well, don't buy one shirt over $100 or you won't get it tax free!

Clandestino
08-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I don't complain about everything the government does. You just have selective reading.

And I don't complain about every business, just the ones that perform illegal activities.

Is that really so difficult to understand?

just businesses that jekka tells you to complain about...

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 11:49 AM
just businesses that jekka tells you to complain about...
Thats exactly it! I'm such a puppet. Why won't someone cut my strings?

SpursWoman
08-05-2005, 12:07 PM
that's like 8 double cheeseburgers in the bank. chaaaching. :smokin

Or a little more than 1/4 of a tank of gas! :( :lol

bigzak25
08-05-2005, 12:24 PM
yeah, no shit SW, i remember the days when one could drop 5 bux in the tank and be set for a day or two...that's only 2 gallons now...:pctoss

Flea
08-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Thats exactly it! I'm such a puppet. Why won't someone cut my strings?

Maybe Jekka likes you all tied up. :)

bigzak25
08-05-2005, 12:55 PM
if you were a puppet?

would you rather have strings or a hand up the ass?

these are life's questions...

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 12:58 PM

I'd rather have strings myself. But Clandestino always seems to have something up his ass, so maybe he's the puppet?

2Blonde
08-05-2005, 03:15 PM
It depends. My daughter has to wear them for middle school and she attends Northeast ISD.
My daughter also attends a middle school in NEISD but they don't wear uniforms. Each individual school decides on their own in NEISD. I wish they would go to uniforms. It would make it a whole lot easier.

...2Blonde

JoeChalupa
08-05-2005, 03:21 PM
yeah, no shit SW, i remember the days when one could drop 5 bux in the tank and be set for a day or two...that's only 2 gallons now...:pctoss

That is why I love my Saturn. I can still go for a few days on $5 of gas.

Yeah baby!!!!

Flea
08-05-2005, 04:27 PM
My daughter also attends a middle school in NEISD but they don't wear uniforms. Each individual school decides on their own in NEISD. I wish they would go to uniforms. It would make it a whole lot easier.

...2Blonde

I think I am going to enjoy it. She knows what she has to wear each morning, no discussion and I won't have to hear, "There's nothing to wear" with a closet full of clothes.

T Park
08-05-2005, 06:33 PM
$23.99 for a cap that would normally have run (w/o discount card) ~$32.

Now did Clandestino not say wow a whole 1.88 in savings.

I could be wrong, but I see at least 7 maybe 8 bucks savings.

Normally priced 32, but bought for 23..

where is the 1.88?

midgetonadonkey
08-05-2005, 09:59 PM
The mall was as packed as hell today in Corpus. The sales weren't bad though, JCPenny had a lot of shit 60 and 70 percent off. I don't think the tax free gimmick is worth it, but the sales some stores put on during the weekend make it worth while.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Now did Clandestino not say wow a whole 1.88 in savings.

I could be wrong, but I see at least 7 maybe 8 bucks savings.

Normally priced 32, but bought for 23..

where is the 1.88?

We weren't counting the 20% discount from my Lids card.

T Park
08-05-2005, 11:49 PM
ahh I see.

SpursWoman
08-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Here we go again. :)

August 4-6.

I haven't checked if they've added school supplies ... but I doubt it. :flipoff

travis2
08-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Nope...clothing and footwear only (subject to limitation)...

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx98_490/tx98_490.html

SpursWoman
08-01-2006, 10:07 AM
My daughter starts middle school and they have to wear uniforms ... and she doesn't have one article of clothing that fits into their mold. So I have to buy her all new everything ... I'm sure I'll be out in it. Just not the outlet mall this year, that place was a frikkin nightmare.

I still can't believe they don't have school supplies on the list ... between my 2 it's inevitable that I end up spending a hundred bucks, easy. On Elmer's glue? WTF? I have no idea how that happens. :lol

ashbeeigh
08-01-2006, 10:19 AM
I was going to go buy a pair of jeans that covered up my wedges, the ones that I have are too short. I don't know if I want to go shopping this weekend now. I may do it though. All for the $2 savings. Good luck SW, finding those uniforms!

SpursWoman
08-01-2006, 10:27 AM
I went to Foley's at Rolling Oaks last year and it wasn't too bad at all. In addition to the tax break, they really had some good sales going on. And no, it wasn't marked-up stuff with a sale sign on it ... I know what things costs enough not to be suckered into that trap. :lol

It might be worth the effort ... and I've found that Friday during the day is the best day to go, when most people are at work still.

Gatita
08-01-2006, 01:39 PM
I did my shopping a couple of weeks ago. Mid-summer clearance :tu

SpursWoman
08-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I usually wait until right about now for the deep-discounts. I mean damn ... it's still hot & they can wear them until the end of October at the very least. :lol

Gatita
08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
I usually wait until right about now for the deep-discounts. I mean damn ... it's still hot & they can wear them until the end of October at the very least. :lol

When I went to San Marcos the discounts were deep enough. Shirts, skirts, bras, underwear, shorts, sandals for $2.50 - $3.00. :wow

MannyIsGod
08-01-2006, 01:50 PM
I miss Clandestino :(

Kori Ellis
08-01-2006, 01:54 PM

He was posting in the Political forum yesterday .. or the day before.

MannyIsGod
08-01-2006, 01:57 PM
I can only post in there for short periods of time now. If I try to do it while I'm playing poker I lose focus and end up losing money just to call Yonivore a dumbass. Not worth it.

SpursWoman
08-04-2006, 04:33 PM
I took off 1/2 a day and am officially done with school shopping. Traffic didn't start getting bad until we were just finishing up. :tu

If anyone has kids and is going out, I highly recommend JC Penney's ... they had tons of stuff buy one, get one for $1 ... good brands, too. :)

I scored ... and I saved about $50 in sales tax while I was at it. :tu

Except fucking school supplies ... and I didn't buy anything except for what was on their lists ... were $106. WTF?

NorCal510
08-04-2006, 04:39 PM
bluh wtf we dont get a tax free wekend

tlongII
08-04-2006, 04:56 PM
No sales tax in Oregon. :)

2Blonde
08-04-2006, 05:03 PM
We knocked out my daughter's back to school shopping on Tuesday in like 3 hours. It was great. No crowds. We bought about half the stuff on base at the PX so there was no tax and the prices were already cheaper and the rest we found at Ross. She got a lot of really great deals. I give her a budget for the school year and she spends about half of it now and half in January. I can't stand the crowds on the Tax Free Holidays so I rather look for good sales or prices and go other days.

2Blonde
08-04-2006, 05:04 PM
No State Income Tax in Texas :spin

tlongII
08-04-2006, 05:17 PM
No State Income Tax in Texas :spin

Touche' :lol

SpursWoman
08-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I can't stand the crowds on the Tax Free Holidays

It wasn't crowded at all this afternoon ... until we were leaving about 4-ish. After that, forget it. :)

SpursWoman
08-04-2006, 07:04 PM
We knocked out my daughter's back to school shopping on Tuesday in like 3 hours. It was great. No crowds. We bought about half the stuff on base at the PX so there was no tax and the prices were already cheaper and the rest we found at Ross. She got a lot of really great deals. I give her a budget for the school year and she spends about half of it now and half in January. I can't stand the crowds on the Tax Free Holidays so I rather look for good sales or prices and go other days.

I felt so bad for my daughter ... this is the first year with all of this uniform crap and the generic stuff is God-awful. So we were digging like crazy women trying to find anything khaki that wasn't too short or weren't extra-low, ass-crack showing hip huggers (I thought those were out of style already?). By the time we finally found some things that (I hope) are acceptable, I was cursing this uniform crap like a mofo. Thankfully they can wear their spirit shirts from her middle school & MacArthur (which they actually have in a girl's style) everyday, so we're going on Thursday to stock up...because we're not fond of Polo shirts and those white button downs are ugly as homemade sin. I thought it'd be easier shopping for uniforms ... but, hell no, that was terrible. :lol

Buddy Holly
08-04-2006, 07:15 PM

No sun or happiness either.

T Park
08-04-2006, 09:00 PM
I'll take the Sales tax over the Income tax thank you very much.

Condemned 2 HelLA
08-05-2006, 03:42 AM
No shortage of taxation out here!
Makes me wonder if the govt. will decide to double up on the taxes so that they can recoup the losses from the 13 states that get this privilege.
Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

BIG IRISH
08-05-2006, 04:12 AM

Y O U

M I S S

E V E R Y T H I N G

:blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Just for shits and giggles, let's bump this classic back up.

Flea
07-26-2007, 08:13 AM

I was thinking about this thread yesterday when I posted in the other one.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-26-2007, 11:33 AM

I was thinking about this thread yesterday when I posted in the other one.

I'm just glad you didn't slap me for this thread at the Game 4 GTG.

Shelly
07-26-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm just glad you didn't slap me for this thread at the Game 4 GTG.

That's because you know how to get your point across without resorting to calling people names.

SpursWoman
08-17-2007, 12:30 PM
PSA: Stay the hell away from the Quarry.

Soul_Patch
08-17-2007, 02:53 PM
I havent been to a mall in over a year...maybe 2...saving 5 bucks on taxes isnt drawing me out, although if i needed something right now, i guess this weekend would be an ideal time to buy it, but id try to hit up walmart as late as possible to avoid any crowd.

Shelly
08-17-2007, 03:03 PM
I havent been to a mall in over a year...maybe 2...saving 5 bucks on taxes isnt drawing me out, although if i needed something right now, i guess this weekend would be an ideal time to buy it, but id try to hit up walmart as late as possible to avoid any crowd.

I'm sure you'll find a family of 5 shopping at 3 a.m. :lol

mrsmaalox
08-17-2007, 05:35 PM
I've never been out on a tax-free weekend because I hear it's one huge cluster- f*ck. I wouldn't save any more than if I just wait for the stuff I want to go on sale. I'm sure there are alot of families to whom it makes a big difference though.

SpursWoman
08-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Just got back from Rolling Oaks mall helping my daughter spend her birthday money.

Parked right in front, not crowded at all ... and most stores had 50-60% off and/or lots of buy-one-get-one-free stuff, Macy's had an extra 20% off shopping pass in the paper this morning, plus, no tax.

Yeah, she scored like a bandit. :greedy

Shelly
08-19-2007, 04:35 PM
I was gonna venture out with son #2, but I still haven't gotten dressed yet (went to the gym and then yacked on the phone with my sister), so by the time I get ready, the stores will be closed!

SpursWoman
08-19-2007, 05:23 PM
It seriously wasn't bad at all. I don't know how yesterday was, and I wouldn't go to the outlet malls in San Marcos again to save my soul, but today it was actually worth it to go. The longest we had to wait for anything was to get something to drink at the food court, and that was only because the lady in front of us was ordering for like 5 little kids who couldn't make up their minds. :lol

08-19-2007, 05:42 PM
I was gonna venture out with son #2, but I still haven't gotten dressed yet...

Hell, if no one else will say it, I will.

Worthless without pics.

/obligatory

Shelly
08-19-2007, 05:55 PM
It seriously wasn't bad at all. I don't know how yesterday was, and I wouldn't go to the outlet malls in San Marcos again to save my soul, but today it was actually worth it to go. The longest we had to wait for anything was to get something to drink at the food court, and that was only because the lady in front of us was ordering for like 5 little kids who couldn't make up their minds. :lol

I figured today wouldn't be too bad because I figured most went Friday and Saturday. I also wanted to take them seperately because I could just hear #1 tell #2 that what he picked out was lame or something. I still may do that.

And 1369, I am not a vision in a loose t-shirt, shorts, and a baseball hat. :lol

ploto
08-19-2007, 05:58 PM
I went out to the Rim both Friday and Saturday night and it was not bad at all. I guess people went earlier in the day.