PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: The Fundamentals: Why the Rockets are emerging as championship contenders! (SI.com)

Killakobe81
02-27-2014, 10:33 AM
The Rockets have won 10 of their last 11 games and are closing in on any reasonable threshold for championship contention. As a basic litmus test, most contemporary title contenders have ranked in the top 10 in both offense and defense. There are some exceptions (including this season’s Pacers, a below-average offensive team), but that kind of two-way balance is a loose guideline for championship basketball.

Houston qualifies, contrary to what the Rockets’ bloated points-allowed-per-game figure (or your talking head of choice) might suggest. Pace of play is not a demerit; how many points the fast-breaking Rockets surrender on a per-game basis matters far less than how much they give up per possession. It’s the micro that matters. The speed of the game naturally fluctuates from minute to minute. It’s only by reducing basketball to its most basic unit — the possession — that performance can be evaluated to account for those near-constant shifts in tempo.

For more click here. (http://nba.si.com/2014/02/26/houston-rockets-james-harden-dwight-howard-contenders/)

Your thoughts?
I say no. Not having to do anything with last night's game, I just dont buy it.
But I have to admit the "Coward" looks much better the past 6 weeks.
I still say screw him and McHale.
But I like Harden & Parsons.

Double-Up
02-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Still one piece away...but anything's possible.

apalisoc_9
02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Kevin Mchale :lol

MultiTroll
02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Harden goes into Kobme chucking mode far too often.
Kills team ball.

Thread
02-27-2014, 11:12 AM
So damn easy talking it.

Damn difficult winning that last game in June.

Just ask our host.

Killakobe81
02-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Still one piece away...but anything's possible.

If you read the article, it actually argues the one piece away theory is wrong, based on "possesion focused metrics". he discounts the shaky defense based on the "pace" you guys play at ...

DMC
02-27-2014, 11:21 AM
The Rockets won 22 straight a few years back and lost in the 1st round of the playoffs. Howard lacks the mental fortitude to overcome the pressures of post season play, especially at that level, with that coach. Some other big will get into his head and he'll melt and tweak off.

Killakobe81
02-27-2014, 11:24 AM
So damn easy talking it.

Just ask our host.

Exactly. It's Miami's to lose (well except last June when it was Pop's) and I have lost faith in OKC & Indy as worthy contenders.
San Antonio and maybe Doc's band of misfits are the only hopes left ...

James is a beast it his world for at least one more season.

Thread
02-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Exactly. It's Miami's to lose (well except last June when it was Pop's) and I have lost faith in OKC & Indy as worthy contenders.
San Antonio and maybe Doc's band of misfits are the only hopes left ...

James is a beast it his world for at least one more season.

James hasn't convinced me, nor has he convinced Pop, I assure you. It's kind of a shame that it was the Heat who pulled that stunt last June. Anybody else a done it to 'em & we'd have been treated to an off season of vows of retribution not seen coming from the vicinity of the Alamo since shortly after Santa and I don't mean Claus shoved Davy's coonskin deep in that ass.

Killakobe81
02-27-2014, 11:36 AM
The Rockets won 22 straight a few years back and lost in the 1st round of the playoffs. Howard lacks the mental fortitude to overcome the pressures of post season play, especially at that level, with that coach. Some other big will get into his head and he'll melt and tweak off.

I agree but I hear some of the stat nerds (Mahoney/Lowe) as well as some of the old guard (JVG,Hubie) touting these guys as legit.
Figured I would get some hoops talk back in play and get a feel foe what the forum feels.

I think Rox will be legit contenders if Harden was a #2 option and Dwight was #2B ... but I doubt that happens.
They are only "ONE PIECE AWAY" if that piece is Lebron or Durant or MAYBE Paul George or CP3 ...

Double-Up
02-27-2014, 11:41 AM
If you read the article, it actually argues the one piece away theory is wrong, based on "possesion focused metrics". he discounts the shaky defense based on the "pace" you guys play at ...

I read the article a few days ago, still doesn't change my opinion. We won't win a championship unless we find that last piece. Mark my words come playoff time...

Clipper Nation
02-27-2014, 11:42 AM
James hasn't convinced me, nor has he convinced Pop, I assure you.
Thanks to James, Kirby dons the shitbag and there's nothing you can do about it....tee, hee.

Mugen
02-27-2014, 11:45 AM
They're match-up dependent like every other team in the West. I like their chances in a series against any team not named OKC/SA. They'd probably push either team to 6 games as well IMO.

Hamilton looks like to be a solid addition. If one of Lin/Hamilton/D-Mo/Jones can get hot in the playoffs then they have a legit shot of getting to the WCF tbh.

Thread
02-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks to James, Kirby dons the shitbag and there's nothing you can do about it....tee, hee.

Sweetheart, it's my bag. I'll designate it as I see fit. And your Duncan has it for at least another year. You can't go thru the Lakers to get 5, so even if you win it you'll be at 5-5 and Duncan will retain possession of the shit bag.

You had your chance last June. You fucked up.

DMC
02-27-2014, 11:47 AM
I agree but I hear some of the stat nerds (Mahoney/Lowe) as well as some of the old guard (JVG,Hubie) touting these guys as legit.
Figured I would get some hoops talk back in play and get a feel foe what the forum feels.

I think Rox will be legit contenders if Harden was a #2 option and Dwight was #2B ... but I doubt that happens.
They are only "ONE PIECE AWAY" if that piece is Lebron or Durant or MAYBE Paul George or CP3 ...

I don't think the Rox are legit contenders. I think they can get amazingly hot and torch any team in the league, but their inconsistent play will be detrimental in a series, and Howard's ego and antics will cost the team in meaningful games. Harden isn't the problem. He's good enough for his pay. The problem is with coaching and the center position. Howard is a good center, but he needs a leash that McHale isn't going to provide.

Clipper Nation
02-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Sweetheart, it's my bag. I'll designate it as I see fit. And your Duncan has it for at least another year. You can't go thru the Lakers to get 5, so even if you win it you'll be at 5-5 and Duncan will retain possession of the shit bag.

You had your chance last June. You fucked up.
It may be "your" bag, but, Kirby is wearing it.

Let us proceed....

RsxPiimp
02-27-2014, 12:00 PM
So damn easy talking it.

Just ask our host.
This

Mental midget, foul machine with no post game big man
Chucking, flopping, bitch ass SG
Clueless coach

not exactly a recipe for a championship team

ambchang
02-27-2014, 12:04 PM
I'd say the team is still too Harden dependent. He's pretty much the only player who can really create on offense, which means that a team can design a defense to really contain him, and slow down the rest of the Rockets.

Also, I am not confident McHale have a coaching smarts for a plan B in the playoffs when teams have time to prep for you and take away your plan A.

I'd say Indiana, Miami, OKC will definitely beat them.

Spurs may beat them depending on the game plan against Harden.

Dallas has a good chance, so does Portland (Aldridge will pull Dwight away further out, minimizing his defensive impact, and then Lillard will drive on them on day. Of course, I don't see Portland stopping Harden or Dwight).

GSW will give them matchup issues as the Rockets aren't that great in perimeter defense.

But I guess yeah, given that they are tied for 2nd tier teams (with Portland and Spurs), I'd say they are contenders, but it will take them lots of good luck in matchups to make it to, let alone win, the Finals.

RsxPiimp
02-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Clippers-Rockets series will be tasty though

ambchang
02-27-2014, 12:08 PM

Reminds me somewhat of the Nash Phoenix Suns. They were decent enough on defense but their pace made it look worse. That said, both teams were only average defensively, and unless you have a prime Shaq, Mike, Lebron or Hakeem, you will have to pretty good on defense to win it all.

For reference, the Rockets are 12th in defensive rating. While not horrible, it's not that good.

Katherine Robinson
02-27-2014, 12:12 PM
I don't see Harden as a leader for a playoff contender, especially given his dependency on freethrows.

Thread
02-27-2014, 12:13 PM
It may be "your" bag, but, Kirby is wearing it.

Let us proceed....

Please.

Katherine Robinson
02-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Please.

The only time you say that, Dale, is when you're asked if you want your prostate milked while you watch your betamax of every Suns loss in the post-season.

Thread
02-27-2014, 12:23 PM
The only time you say that, Dale, is when you're asked if you want your prostate milked while you watch your betamax of every Suns loss in the post-season.

Don't tease me, honey-bun.

Katherine Robinson
02-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Don't tease me, honey-bun.

Bend over, I'll show you a honey-bun.

Killakobe81
02-27-2014, 12:41 PM
James hasn't convinced me, nor has he convinced Pop, I assure you. It's kind of a shame that it was the Heat who pulled that stunt last June. Anybody else a done it to 'em & we'd have been treated to an off season of vows of retribution not seen coming from the vicinity of the Alamo since shortly after Santa and I don't mean Claus shoved Davy's coonskin deep in that ass.

I pondered how close we were to a "deconstructing" of James. But to be fair many of our hoop heroes legacy is tied to the success of role players hitting key shots in desperate moments.

MJ owes Kerr & Paxson ...
Shaqobe owes: Horry & fisher
Duncan owes: Elliott & horry

benefactor
02-27-2014, 12:43 PM
McHale is still the coach.

/thread

Killakobe81
02-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Benefactor I have said that all season and he does get the blame for Rox fans ...
But I still dont buy this team ...

Thread
02-27-2014, 01:02 PM
I pondered how close we were to a "deconstructing" of James. But to be fair many of our hoop heroes legacy is tied to the success of role players hitting key shots in desperate moments.

MJ owes Kerr & Paxson ...
Shaqobe owes: Horry & fisher
Duncan owes: Elliott & horry

But, James owes Pop. That's fresh.

Clipper Nation
02-27-2014, 01:13 PM
The Rockets remind me of last year's Clippers, tbh.... a flawed regular-season team with a clueless coach....

The problem for Rocketsfan is that Morey practically has a mancrush on McFail....

irishock
02-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Plus the media would kill Morey for firing McHale after his mother and daughter died within a year

Double-Up
02-27-2014, 01:18 PM
McHale is still the coach.

/thread

3-0 vs Pop

/thread

sook
02-27-2014, 01:22 PM
People keep complaining about consistency...wtf do you expect when you have Jeremy Lin, Garcia, and Casspi playing big minutes? Lin and Casspi don't even belong in the NBA. Hamilton seems like a nice decision, and without Parson having the flu I think we may have had a chance?

Championship caliber?

I don't think so, that is going to come with time and more of a supporting cast. (Replacing Eremy Lin)

Double-Up
02-27-2014, 01:22 PM
People keep complaining about consistency...wtf do you expect when you have Jeremy Lin, Garcia, and Casspi playing big minutes? Lin and Casspi don't even belong in the NBA. Hamilton seems like a nice decision, and without Parson having the flu I think we may have had a chance?

Championship caliber?

I don't think so, that is going to come with time and more of a supporting cast. (Replacing Eremy Lin)

Garcia and Casspi aren't playing big minutes anymore.

Clipper Nation
02-27-2014, 01:30 PM
3-0 vs Pop

/thread
Pop still has the 4>0 stick...

/thread

Double-Up
02-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Pop still has the 4>0 stick...

/thread

This discussion is about the current Rockets team...not past shit.

/thread

Robz4000
02-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Rockets can beat anyone in the West that isn't OKC and maybe the Clippers. Unfortunately they'd have to get through either or both to win the West so their chances are slim.

Clipper Nation
02-27-2014, 01:33 PM
This discussion is about the current Rockets team...not past shit.

/thread
You know you would take Pop over McHale in an instant, even after 6 :lol

Robz4000
02-27-2014, 01:34 PM
3-0 vs Pop

/thread

Don't tell me you actually think McHale is a good coach...

Double-Up
02-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Don't tell me you actually think McHale is a good coach...

He's a player's coach but horrible playbook guy, even with that I'd roll the dice and see what he does this year in the playoffs. You fucks underrate him...

Killakobe81
02-27-2014, 01:37 PM
He's a player's coach but horrible playbook guy, even with that I'd roll the dice and see what he does this year in the playoffs. You fucks underrate him...

A moron, if he was black he would get murdered on here constantly.

Robz4000
02-27-2014, 01:44 PM

A lot of coaches are player coaches, yet almost none of them ever win anything unless they have a good system or are good with Xs and Os. Doc Rivers is the only recent example yet he had Thibs backing him.

Bill_Brasky
02-27-2014, 01:49 PM
The Rockets remind me of last year's Clippers, tbh.... a flawed regular-season team with a clueless coach....

The problem for Rocketsfan is that Morey practically has a mancrush on McFail....

Morey: makes league-changing moves, puts together a roster capable of contending for a title, leaves McHale in charge.

Killakobe81
02-27-2014, 01:50 PM
A lot of coaches are player coaches, yet almost none of them ever win anything unless they have a good system or are good with Xs and Os. Doc Rivers is the only recent example yet he had Thibs backing him.

yep but Doc is actually good at set plays and inbounds plays. his defense is not as good without Tibbs and KG to lead it ...
McHale rauns some ok stuff I think he has a sound basketball mind, just not a very good coach.

Robz4000
02-27-2014, 02:27 PM
yep but Doc is actually good at set plays and inbounds plays. his defense is not as good without Tibbs and KG to lead it ...
McHale rauns some ok stuff I think he has a sound basketball mind, just not a very good coach.

Doc is a good motivator and I'd rather have him than McHale, but he doesn't have a good system nor would I consider him an elite basketball mind.

Killakobe81
02-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Doc is a good motivator and I'd rather have him than McHale, but he doesn't have a good system nor would I consider him an elite basketball mind.

Cannot disagree with you here.

Clipper Nation
02-27-2014, 02:41 PM
True, Doc doesn't have his own system per se, but he has Gentry to run the offense and he's using the same defensive schemes that he and Thibs used in Boston.... our inconsistency on defense this year has mainly been on the personnel, not really the schemes....

He's not Pop or Phil, but replace McFail with Doc and the Rockets would be a better team, tbh....

Robz4000
02-27-2014, 02:57 PM
True, Doc doesn't have his own system per se, but he has Gentry to run the offense and he's using the same defensive schemes that he and Thibs used in Boston.... our inconsistency on defense this year has mainly been on the personnel, not really the schemes....

He's not Pop or Phil, but replace McFail with Doc and the Rockets would be a better team, tbh....

I actually really like Gentry as a coach tbh. Might be the best black coach in the game.

Killakobe81
02-27-2014, 03:13 PM

And his ability to run quick hiitter sets and inbounds plays pre-dates Gentry.
I know the narrartive here is t o knock black coaches and I dont even like Doc's arrogant ass but he is a fine coach.
After Pop, RC, Tibss and Maybe Spo I would take Doc. Vogel is also good so is Hollins but Doc has a ring and that matters to me.

Casey, Budenholzer are unproven when it matters most.

Robz4000
02-27-2014, 03:55 PM
And his ability to run quick hiitter sets and inbounds plays pre-dates Gentry.
I know the narrartive here is t o knock black coaches and I dont even like Doc's arrogant ass but he is a fine coach.
After Pop, RC, Tibss and Maybe Spo I would take Doc. Vogel is also good so is Hollins but Doc has a ring and that matters to me.

Casey, Budenholzer are unproven when it matters most.

No Rick Carlisle?

Oh wait, missed the RC...

benefactor
02-27-2014, 04:55 PM
3-0 vs Pop

/thread
:lol...really? That's your comeback?

:lmao

McHale is shit and you know it. You want to talk about records? How are you going to win anything with that team when you can't even win the division over an injury plagued Spurs team that's depending on 38 year old Duncan, broke down ass Ginobili and a worn out Parker? Ginobili, Green, Leonard, Splitter and Parker have all missed ten games or more. That's four of the five starters and the Spurs best bench player...and they are still 2.5 games ahead of Houston. Houston has had every opportunity in the world to take over the division but they can't...because...you know...your coach fucking sucks.

Killakobe81
02-27-2014, 06:08 PM
No Rick Carlisle?

Oh wait, missed the RC...

RC is my 2nd favorite coach right now tbh poor man's Pop ...

Robz4000
02-27-2014, 06:14 PM
RC is my 2nd favorite coach right now tbh poor man's Pop ...

2nd or 3rd best coach in the league. Only Pop and maybe Phillibeaner are ahead.

Double-Up
02-27-2014, 07:30 PM
:lol...really? That's your comeback?

:lmao

McHale is shit and you know it. You want to talk about records? How are you going to win anything with that team when you can't even win the division over an injury plagued Spurs team that's depending on 38 year old Duncan, broke down ass Ginobili and a worn out Parker? Ginobili, Green, Leonard, Splitter and Parker have all missed ten games or more. That's four of the five starters and the Spurs best bench player...and they are still 2.5 games ahead of Houston. Houston has had every opportunity in the world to take over the division but they can't...because...you know...your coach fucking sucks.

Fuck you nigga, I concede...:lol

benefactor
02-27-2014, 07:45 PM
:lol...it's all good.