PDA

View Full Version : Are you feeling more or less confident with our squad this year compared to last?

SpursFan86
02-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Improvements:

- Belinelli over Neal
- Diaw 2.0
- Backup PG situation is much better. Mills/Joseph have both played well this year
- Despite what some may think, Leonard HAS been better this year. Only thing he hasn't improved on is 3-point shooting, and he's steadily improved in that aspect as the season has carried on
- Ginobili playing more like himself

Areas of retrogression:

- While Duncan has looked much better than he did to start the season...I think we can all agree he doesn't look as well as he did last season
- Parker not where he was at last year. Hopefully he'll look better after this extended period of rest he's gotten.

So on paper, it would appear our team is better than last year. But there are a few things worth mentioning:

1) West is stronger this year. We almost certainly won't have as easy of a path to the Finals as we did last season. Even our 1st-round matchup could provide a bit of trouble. OKC/Houston/Portland/LAC will all be challenging matchups. Say what you want about the Clippers...this team is different. Doc Rivers >>>>>>> Del Negro, and they've finally improved their bench with the additions of Big Baby and Granger. Griffin is also playing like a true elite player this year. Anyone who says he "can only dunk" clearly hasn't watched him much this year and is basing their opinions off what they see on SportsCenter (which, ironically enough, these same people tend to claim he's overrated because others only see his highlights on ESPN).

2) While I love having a great bench and strong role players, in the playoffs I'd rather have Duncan playing like he was last year or Parker back to playing like one of the best PGs in the league. I just don't feel great placing trust in players like Patty Mills and Boris Diaw to show up big consistently.

If Parker comes back looking like he did last season, I'll feel much more confident. I still feel pretty good about this team though. I think we have as good of chances as anyone outside a healthy OKC to make it out of the West.

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Improvements:

- Belinelli over Neal
- Diaw 2.0
- Backup PG situation is much better. Mills/Joseph have both played well this year
- Despite what some may think, Leonard HAS been better this year. Only thing he hasn't improved on is 3-point shooting, and he's steadily improved in that aspect as the season has carried on
- Ginobili playing more like himself

Areas of retrogression:

- While Duncan has looked much better than he did to start the season...I think we can all agree he doesn't look as well as he did last season
- Parker not where he was at last year. Hopefully he'll look better after this extended period of rest he's gotten.

So on paper, it would appear our team is better than last year. But there are a few things worth mentioning:

1) West is stronger this year. We almost certainly won't have as easy of a path to the Finals as we did last season. Even our 1st-round matchup could provide a bit of trouble. OKC/Houston/Portland/LAC will all be challenging matchups. Say what you want about the Clippers...this team is different. Doc Rivers >>>>>>> Del Negro, and they've finally improved their bench with the additions of Big Baby and Granger. Griffin is also playing like a true elite player this year. Anyone who says he "can only dunk" clearly hasn't watched him much this year and is basing their opinions off what they see on SportsCenter (which, ironically enough, these same people tend to claim he's overrated because others only see his highlights on ESPN).

2) While I love having a great bench and strong role players, in the playoffs I'd rather have Duncan playing like he was last year or Parker back to playing like one of the best PGs in the league. I just don't feel great placing trust in players like Patty Mills and Boris Diaw to show up big consistently.

If Parker comes back looking like he did last season, I'll feel much more confident. I still feel pretty good about this team though. I think we have as good of chances as anyone outside a healthy OKC to make it out of the West.

That's the big one. Even if the team gets back to last year's levels, the road to the Finals will be much more difficult.

Russ
02-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Clippers signing Granger (and Big Baby) is good news and gives the Spurs a shot.

Simply put, I'm not sure the Spurs can beat OKC in a series but now I think the Clippers can.

The Spurs can beat the Clippers (even with their additions) so it could be similar to last year and '07 (when GS knocked the Spurs-killing Mavs).

How's that for optimism?

DesignatedT
02-28-2014, 10:18 AM
How confident were you going into last years playoffs?

Russ
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM
How confident were you going into last years playoffs?

Last year the Spurs had come off losing four straight to OKC in the WCF and showed little ability to beat them in a rematch.

This year the Spurs are coming off a season that was a break or two away from a title.

I'm more optimistic this year but that's just a function of expectations based upon the above.

Ocotillo
02-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Last year we were a bit charmed in that injuries were not a problem (in the playoffs). The way the injury bug has been going this year I am snakebit and have some concerns we won't be as lucky this year.

02-28-2014, 10:31 AM
It's hard to say at this point. Parker is clearly coasting this season and Duncan has also done so at times. They're the key elements if they are to make any deep playoff run, obviously.

The second unit players have been excellent, namely Manu, Boris, Marco and Patty. However, the fact is that teams shorten their rotations in the playoffs and we all know that Parker and Duncan won't be suited to playing 40 minutes a game in the postseason.

DesignatedT
02-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Last year the Spurs had come off losing four straight to OKC in the WCF and showed little ability to beat them in a rematch.

This year the Spurs are coming off a season that was a break or two away from a title.

I'm more optimistic this year but that's just a function of expectations based upon the above.

Exactly. Nobody gave us a shot last year. Maybe some people are giving us a shot this year but probably not.

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 10:34 AM
It's hard to say at this point. Parker is clearly coasting this season and Duncan has also done so at times. They're the key elements if they are to make any deep playoff run, obviously.

The second unit players have been excellent, namely Manu, Boris, Marco and Patty. However, the fact is that teams shorten their rotations in the playoffs and we all know that Parker and Duncan won't be suited to playing 40 minutes a game in the postseason.

They averaged 36 and 35 last season and that was during a run that included a number of blowouts.

Texas_Ranger
02-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Even if the Spurs do get to the WCF the Thunder are just too good. I am still mad that the team went into the season without a backup SF and a capable big. LOL signing Errors and not amnestying Bonner. If I was Tim I'd be fucking mad at the FO for not getting him help over the last 10 years. The only two bigs that are decent are Tim and Diaw. Splitter will turn into a vagina when he faces Perkins and Ibaka.

Oh I fucked up, I wanted to say that Splitter will turn into a bigger vagina, cause he already is one.

DesignatedT
02-28-2014, 10:36 AM
The thunder look extremely beatable right now. Westbrook has been awful in his return and is really killing the momentum they had. If he regains form then they should be the clear favorites out west but until then it's wide open. 3 knee surgeries in what.. a year? That's worrisome. Who knows if he holds up.

SpursFan86
02-28-2014, 10:39 AM
The thunder look extremely beatable right now. Westbrook has been awful in his return and is really killing the momentum they had. If he regains form then they should be the clear favorites out west but until then it's wide open. 3 knee surgeries in what.. a year? That's worrisome.

Well to be fair, I wouldn't expect him to look great in his first 3 games back from surgery. But you're right, 3 surgeries in a year means Westbrook being healthy and 100% come playoff time is far from guaranteed.

Texas_Ranger
02-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Wesbrook is not the guy that worries me. It's Jackson

Fireball
02-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Its simply too hard to tell. If healthy our chances are pretty good. Second half of last season Spurs only had a .500 record or so and then they easily went to the Finals. The West is stronger now (especially bad matchups for the Spurs like Blazers and Rockets), but everything is possible ... I am not giving up

DesignatedT
02-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Lets just assume the Spurs get back to the level they were at last year. The Thunder completely healthy might have been able to beat the Spurs (not sure about that) but a Thunder team with a less than 100% Westbrook would have had a 0% chance at beating the Spurs last year. Jackson plays well against us but if they don't have Westbrook at his best they are toast in the West.

02-28-2014, 10:44 AM
They averaged 36 and 35 last season and that was during a run that included a number of blowouts.

Even if he has been given time off, I'm still concerned about Tony since he hasn't really had an extended break for over a year-and-a-half.

He could even be hampered by some injuries in the postseason again , such as last year that could have been partly to blame for his game 6 and 7 performances in the finals.

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Even if he has been given time off, I'm still concerned about Tony since he hasn't really had an extended break for over a year-and-a-half.

He could even be hampered by some injuries in the postseason again , such as last year that could have been partly to blame for his game 6 and 7 performances in the finals.

Tony's health is a valid concern.

Skull-1
02-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Way less. Last year was destiny until Manu the Turnover Machine sowed destruction in Game Six.

Splits
02-28-2014, 11:49 AM
You forgot the one key which will put us over the hump:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/spurs/imgs/131010_ayres_roster.jpg

timtonymanu
02-28-2014, 12:21 PM
I really can't say until the playoffs start, but this team doesn't look ready for the postseason yet. It depends on how Parker looks when he comes back and Kawhi is just getting into rhythm.

The Spurs have a pretty solid 8/9 man rotation when healthy. And I'm sure they are motivated after being so close last season. But the West is better this year. And the Spurs failed to upgrade their roster a third time this season.

OKC and Houston still present bad matchups for them. Portland isnt a contender at all, but they would give the Spurs trouble in a series.

kjhip1
02-28-2014, 12:33 PM
The trending thing here is Parker. I think for us to have any chance. It hinges on him! The development of patty mills is a good thing and I think his level of play will not drop off. I think he loves pressure and will do just fine. West is indeed stronger and I do think a top team will get knocked out of the 1st round. It'll be interesting this year to say the least. If the Spurs keep winning with Parker sidelined I'd keep resting him as long as possible

dallasmaverickslose
02-28-2014, 12:33 PM
No, because Timmy has regressed a bit (understandably), and Tony has not been himself this season.

If we are going to win a title this season, we will need our role players (Splitter, Diaw, Belinelli, Mills, etc.) to step up. Especially Splitter.

bklynspursfan
02-28-2014, 12:36 PM
This team can hang with the best of them. I still believe that. if healthy, of course.

SpurPadre
02-28-2014, 12:52 PM
You forgot the one key which will put us over the hump:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/spurs/imgs/131010_ayres_roster.jpg

That's his "I'm going to take a huge shit on the entire team and their fanbase" pose.

Aremid
02-28-2014, 12:54 PM
This team will be lucky to get to the wcf. Anyone who thinks we will win the title this year is fucking stupid.

Ditty
02-28-2014, 12:58 PM
The Spurs were playing there best basketball, and were healthy for most of the season at about this time last season and had only 14 losses and ended the season with 24 losses. Spurs have only 16 losses this year, have been playing better lately but yet haven't hit their peak, and have been injured for majority of the year and I only see possibly 6-7 losses the rest of the way. The Spurs were also struggling quite a bit at the end of march, and early april last year. I believe Parker will return next Tuesday against the Cavs,and will look better and fresher and Duncan will turn it up a notch soon. The only thing that concerns me is turnovers. Spurs will pick up the defense also by the time playoffs come around. If we can avoid the Rockets or Thunder until the WCF I think we will be fine. I think everyone else we can beat them in no more than six games.

kjhip1
02-28-2014, 12:59 PM
This team will be lucky to get to the wcf. Anyone who thinks we will win the title this year is fucking stupid.

I don't think they'll win it this year but I will say getting to the wcf wouldn't be lucky. Love your optimism though!

Johnny RIngo
02-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Less confident mainly because Parker has been terrible this season. Even worse is that I don't think Duncan has enough gas in the tank to carry Frenchie when he decides to start choking like in the Finals last year.

spurs10
02-28-2014, 01:29 PM
That's his "I'm going to take a huge shit on the entire team and their fanbase" pose. :lol Lord!

superbigtime
02-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Spurs had a lot of luck last year. Every success has luck. Is Miami bad ass? Yes. Did they need luck? Hell fucking yes. Can you rely on luck? No, but you hope for it.

Big plus over last year is emergence of Mills and addition of Belinelli. We need aggressive big man play from Tiago and Boris' all around game to shine. Tim needs to pace the rest of the season. Biggest concern is Tony. Even though he has rested two and a half weeks, I am concerned that is still not enough. He MUST be 90-100% for us to have a chance otherwise he is much easier to shut down and his D suffers miserably. We also have to have Leonard playing at a high level. And the 3s need to fall from him, Green, and Beli and Manu. Manu has to play controlled, and he looked out of control at times during Pistons game. No question he is the scapegoat of 2013 and rightly so.

It's absolutely wrong to write this team off. They have ridden the ups and downs really well this season and better than I thought possible with the litany of injuries and the sad sacks at the end of the bench and the loss of key assistant coaches. Pop is going to keep playing Ayres. Even though he gets alot of hate, as long as Pop keeps his mpg low and timely, it shouldn't hurt Spurs too bad.

All in all, as long as health returns, I like Spurs chances to make noise. Beating OKC is a pipe dream though. Houston will be a huge challenge if we face them too. I want to stay away from those two squads.

kjhip1
02-28-2014, 01:38 PM
I don't know that I'd say pipe dream against okc. We still have yet to face them in playoffs without harden. I truly believe Westbrook is the one thing that will do in the thunder. I'll take Spurs over thunder come playoff time any day of the week. Yes I know Durant is pretty unstoppable but I'm telling you Westbrook will screw them up with his timely shot selection.

Budkin
02-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Jeff Ayers makes everything 10000 times worse.

SpursFan86
02-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Jeff Ayers makes everything 10000 times worse.

Our only hope is that he receives less than 5 mpg in the playoffs. Our big man rotation is going to have to be Duncan/Splitter/Diaw with Kawhi occasionally playing the small-ball 4 and Bonner occasionally getting a few minutes here and there as well depending on the matchup.

I hope Kawhi is well-rested...because I have a feeling we're going to need him to play 38-40 mpg this postseason.

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 01:50 PM
The obsession with Ayres is really bizarre. He has taken Blair's role in the regular season and will have the same impact as Blair in the playoffs.

Horse
02-28-2014, 01:51 PM
If we're as healthy as last yr then yes.

xmas1997
02-28-2014, 02:05 PM
If we're as healthy as last yr then yes.

The problem is were not as healthy. One decent backup SF is what they still need.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-28-2014, 02:06 PM
The obsession with Ayres is really bizarre. He has taken Blair's role in the regular season and will have the same impact as Blair in the playoffs.

He is still the weak link on the second unit. Come the playoffs Diaw, Splitter, and Duncan can eat up the 96 minutes between the 4 and 5 but even 12 minutes left over is a quarter of the game. The defense during that time is invariably awful because Pop pairs him with Diaw. We need Splitter to start playing more minutes desperately.

Chinook
02-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Better. Green and Leonard have improved, and Ginobili has looked good all season. Add in Diaw 2.0 and Beli, and the 2K ratings should be better at least. If Duncan maintains and Parker comes back strong, I think the team is going to be a handful.

The biggest X-factor is Splitter. It's not his fault that his pairing with Duncan, but he needs to be tougher offensively for the Spurs to be able to dictate matchups. He's been better at rebounding, especially on the offensive glass. If he can take advantage of smaller players more consistently, I think the Spurs can really take it to these small-ball teams.

kobe4life
02-28-2014, 02:27 PM
You guys are worse then last year. Duncan has regressed, Parker is broken, Splitter is weaker, Green's confidence is gone. Factor those 4 things in and you guys are fucked big time.

SanDiegoSpursFan
02-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Heading into the playoffs last year the Spurs looked really bad, so confidence-wise I probably have more confidence in the team now than I did going into the playoffs last year. I don't think the Spurs will be as successful as they were last year though.

xmas1997
02-28-2014, 02:31 PM
You guys are worse then last year. Duncan has regressed, Parker is broken, Splitter is weaker, Green's confidence is gone. Factor those 4 things in and you guys are fucked big time.

Keep those blinders on.
Just be careful you don't awaken the sleeping giant at the wrong time.

DesignatedT
02-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Green's confidence is gone.

lol wut

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2014, 02:40 PM
If Parker is healthy and/or Leonard's role expands down the stretch, I'll be just as confident as last year..

Parker cannot continue to be a top-tier usage player with declining production, tbh..he needs to play at a top-tier level, or the Spurs need to lower his usage a little..also, statistically, he has been one of the worst defensive players in the league this season..it's probably mostly a matter of effort, but he needs to increase defensive intensity and effort if the Spurs have a shot..

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2014, 02:40 PM
It's also tough to ask this question on ST, since 80% of the posters here thought the Spurs had no chance to make the Finals last year, tbh:lol..

xmas1997
02-28-2014, 02:43 PM
It's also tough to ask this question on ST, since 80% of the posters here thought the Spurs had no chance to make the Finals last year, tbh:lol..

This is true, truer words were never spoken.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-28-2014, 02:44 PM

+1

People tend to forget we were going through a horrendous losing streak at the end of last year. Analysts even thought we were going to lose to the Lakers :lol..

02-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Even the waived NBA players can sense the Spurs' impending second round exit.

look_at_g_shred
02-28-2014, 02:53 PM
LOL ^

ace3g
02-28-2014, 02:59 PM
Be interesting to see how Spurs handle the pressure of closing out games in the playoffs. Certain situations (rebounds/FTs) similar to Miami series will come up. Will Pop have any alternative strategies/change in philosophy in these situations? We will see.

Budkin
02-28-2014, 03:02 PM

He makes Blair look like a fucking ALL STAR.

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 03:04 PM
He makes Blair look like a fucking ALL STAR.

He's the 10th man on a team that won't go 10 deep in the playoffs, or will go with another player in that limited role. I find the obsession over such a minor piece of team to be bizarre

Brunodf
02-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Less. Timmy/Tony/Kawhi/Green/Splitter all regressed

Texas_Ranger
02-28-2014, 03:09 PM
If Errors is the 10th man on this team and is going to play limited minutes in the playoffs the Spurs are fucked. But it's cool tho know that other bigs are Bonner and Baynes... Fucking pathetic.

timtonymanu
02-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Yeah I would be very surprised if Ayres plays a lot in the playoffs. It's gonna be interesting to see which of Mills or Beli is gonna be in the rotation in the playoffs. One of them is gonna lose minutes. My money is on Mills.

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Yeah I would be very surprised if Ayres plays a lot in the playoffs. It's gonna be interesting to see which of Mills or Beli is gonna be in the rotation in the playoffs. One of them is gonna lose minutes. My money is on Mills.

Mills will lose some minutes right off the bat as Tony's minutes increase. The real question is if he can hold on to those 10-14 mpg throughout the playoffs. The decisive run in the 3rd quarter of the Detroit game featured a guard combo of Manu/Beli.

spurraider21
02-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Keep in mind that we limped into the playoffs last year. I think we went 10-10 in our last 20 games, Parker was out for a while, came back at the end of the season and was a complete shell of himself. Ginobili was out and only played like 10 minutes in the season finale, which was his first game back from injury. Diaw was hurt to begin the playoffs and didn't come back until the GS series iirc, and Tiago Splitter got hurt during the first round... and we made out of it just fine.

Would be nice if we could be healthy for the stretch run to try to grab that top seed. As long as we have our guys, I'm pretty confident in our playoff ability. We're still a better team right now than we were in '11-'12. Our playoff rotation likely won't include many minutes from Ayres or Baynes. Duncan-Splitter-Diaw will be the guys and Bonner will be in for certain matchups (he helped us against the Lakers and Grizzlies last year). Last year Duncan averaged 35 minutes per game in the playoffs, and I'd expect similar numbers again this time around. We will also probably have a lot of lineups with Leonard at the 4. The big man rotation isn't worrying. Marco is an improvement to Neal. As HH37 said, the biggest key is to get Tony back on track. He was playing at an MVP level last year, we need him to at least approach that again, because opposing point guards are going to be tough. Conley, Curry, Westbrook/Jackson, Lillard, Paul are no joke

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Keep in mind that we limped into the playoffs last year. I think we went 10-10 in our last 20 games, Parker was out for a while, came back at the end of the season and was a complete shell of himself. Ginobili was out and only played like 10 minutes in the season finale, which was his first game back from injury. Diaw was hurt to begin the playoffs and didn't come back until the GS series iirc, and Tiago Splitter got hurt during the first round... and we made out of it just fine.

All true, but their 1st round opponent this year will almost certainly offer more resistance than last year's Lakers.

look_at_g_shred
02-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Let's revisit this question April 16th at 9:30pm.

spurraider21
02-28-2014, 03:36 PM
All true, but their 1st round opponent this year will almost certainly offer more resistance than last year's Lakers.
Yeah, we won't be getting a first round bye again, but we were also really beat up going into those playoffs. As long as that doesn't repeat this year, I think we'll be ok. Dallas or Memphis would be the ideal first round matchup, tbh. I also think the inexperience of Phoenix would make them a target, though I don't like facing playoff Dragic :lol

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Yeah, we won't be getting a first round bye again, but we were also really beat up going into those playoffs. As long as that doesn't repeat this year, I think we'll be ok. Dallas or Memphis would be the ideal first round matchup, tbh. I also think the inexperience of Phoenix would make them a target, though I don't like facing playoff Dragic :lol

Yeah, Memphis would be ideal.

Arcadian
02-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Hard to say right now. It has the potential to be better than last year's team.

I'm not convinced that the West is so much stronger this year. I am very confident that we get back to the conference finals at least.

Kidd K
02-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Easily less confident compared to last two seasons. It's nice that out role players are doing well and all that, but you need your big guns in the playoffs. That's Tony and Timmy. . .the two guys who have decreased in performance the most this year. Timmy okay yeah his numbers are still good, but the defense has definitely dropped a bit too. You could attribute this to the lack of having Leonard and Splitter on the floor as much as last season though and him having to do too much and getting tired from it.

But yeah, if Tony isn't playing MVP level and Duncan can't put the cape on for us 2-3x as often as he has been, we're not winning. Marco and Manu are NOT going to carry us through series. Neither is Kawhi and Boris. We're going to need not only our health but most notably Tony to get back into top form. I think maybe we can't expect Duncan to keep putting the cape on and supermanning it for us at 38, but Tony simply has to.

We won't win unless Tony plays like an MVP again. He needs to cement his legacy this year if we're to have a chance imo. I hate to put it all on his shoulders since he's still one of our better players even with how he's playing now, but at this point I think everyone else is either too old or simply not capable of stepping their games up enough to get the job done except for Tony. Basically shit has to go near perfect for multiple other guys if Tony doesn't get back to borderline MVP form.

Kool Bob Love
02-28-2014, 05:55 PM
I got a feeling this spurs team will be ringin in June.

jkid12456
02-28-2014, 06:13 PM
not feeling confident at all. that game 6 has haunted pop, and tony. they just let it get to them. duncan and tony has regressed substancially this season, i dont think tony cares. They had the best chance last season when tony parker was playin out of his mind.

ace3g
02-28-2014, 06:21 PM
If Pop unveils "Operation Post-up" (Diaw/Kawhi) in the playoffs I'll be really confident.

Beli has ways to score when teams pressure the 3 pt line (movement off the ball/cuts to the basket/doesn't always shoot 3s off screens/looks to pass for easier baskets)

HemisfairArena
02-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Way less confident. Everything lined up perfectly for us last year including playing the Lakers in the 1st round with Kobe going down for the year with an injury...then Westbrook down with an injury...then facing a slow Memphis team in the WCF's. No way that plays out to our favor again. Houston got stronger adding Howard...the Clippers got stronger adding a real coach in Doc...Portland is playing lights out...and OKC is healthy again and they will get it going in a zone soon with Westbrook back(don't even think for a minute they are better without him...last years playoffs proved that).

Vic Petro
02-28-2014, 06:58 PM
Way less confident not because "things lined up for us last year" which is bullshit imo. The path is the path and I believe the Spurs make the Finals last year regardless of the Westbrook injury or whatever else. The biggest difference this season is Parker. He's not close to what he was last year when he was being called "the best PG in the league" even by "analysts" who typically hate on the Spurs. Unless he's in peak TP form, there is no chance. Last year this team was humming...we'd win by 20 points without breaking a sweat. No rhythm at all this season.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-28-2014, 06:59 PM
If Pop unveils "Operation Post-up" (Diaw/Kawhi/DUNCAN) in the playoffs I'll be really confident.

Beli has ways to score when teams pressure the 3 pt line (movement off the ball/cuts to the basket/doesn't always shoot 3s off screens/looks to pass for easier baskets)

FIXED

Baam
02-28-2014, 07:01 PM
If Pop unveils "Operation Post-up" (Diaw/Kawhi) in the playoffs I'll be really confident.

Excellent point. We need more points in the post, it's the most PO proof way to score, especially since we don't go to the line that much...

Tuddy
02-28-2014, 07:52 PM
More, improved play of Ginobili/Diaw, addition of Mills/Bellinelli

timmy2003
02-28-2014, 08:28 PM
I am less confident simply because our competitors have improved significantly this year

Southwest Texas Fan
02-28-2014, 08:38 PM
That's his "I'm going to take a huge shit on the entire team and their fanbase" pose.

The centerpiece.

SupremeGuy
02-28-2014, 08:38 PM
Honestly, about the same or maybe a little less confident. I don't know, it's been a while since we've seen our team completely healthy. When everyone is back and we're playing good ball, I'm sure I'll gain some confidence.

heyheymymy
02-28-2014, 09:02 PM
our core is where the strength is. splitter, diaw, leonard, green, belinelli, mills are all going to have to fill in the gaps of the big 3 and the deep bench.

spurs have depth and really didn't have to make a move. I wish they would've just for backup sake but we really are pretty solid, as is we were a bounce from the lob.

so i think after seeing how we took care of it in the playoffs last season, after being pretty meh towards the end of the reg season there and a lot of doubt from the board, i feel good this year. same components as last year, some upgrades ie: beli, mills and diaw stepping up, and how effortlessly we turned it on last season? yeah spurs are right where they want to be this year.

gotta start the war room to watch the seedings that is where the magic happens. pop will drop some games inexplicably and it's to help a team move in the seeding so as to make our road easier.

Sean Cagney
02-28-2014, 09:40 PM
not feeling confident at all. that game 6 has haunted pop, and tony. they just let it get to them. duncan and tony has regressed substancially this season, i dont think tony cares. They had the best chance last season when tony parker was playin out of his mind.

Funny because Pop used to always say that if this is the worst thing in life that will happen to you then you will have a good life to his players after tough losses and performances etc., then he goes and lets that get to him severely it seems which would make that hypocritical now if he said it! He now is letting that loss haunt him IMO and you can just tell in interviews etc. when he speaks on it! What happened to that positive Pop? Tony is banged up and tired, we will see how he looks when he returns to the team. Tim has not regressed that much IMO, he still plays at a high level on most nights but yes I agree not like he did last year.

I agree on last year as well, they had their best shot then IMO but I hope I am wrong.

ElNono
02-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Depends how TP looks like when he comes back... also the defense needs to get back up to speed, tbh

dbreiden83080
02-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Did anyone really think they were going to the finals at the start of the playoffs last year?

playbonner15
02-28-2014, 10:22 PM
If we see the rumored Ayers jumper, the team will be celebrating this June :toast

HemisfairArena
02-28-2014, 10:31 PM
Did anyone really think they were going to the finals at the start of the playoffs last year?

Does anyone really think lightning is gonna strike twice and line up perfectly for the Spurs again? Might as well play the lottery.

Johnsyounger
02-28-2014, 11:04 PM
An interesting tidbit about the OKC. Perkins being out or not 100 percent may be just what we need to beat em....
That being said only OKC and Houston scare me, but I don't really wanna play GSW either. They get hot they can win a series....

siraulo23
02-28-2014, 11:24 PM
I remember the final stretch of reg season last year, everyone expected the spurs to fall in the 1st/2nd round the way they were playing

then they stepped it up in the POs, with that said they def got more competition in the west this year

therealtruth
02-28-2014, 11:25 PM
The Spurs are waiting for the playoffs to flip the switch.

dbreiden83080
03-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Does anyone really think lightning is gonna strike twice and line up perfectly for the Spurs again? Might as well play the lottery.

I want to enjoy this last run no matter the result..

spursnatic
03-01-2014, 07:29 AM
I am less confident seeing that we are barely beating teams we were Murdering last year...I want them to make it, but it is not looking good

urunobili
03-01-2014, 08:36 AM
if Tony comes back in MVP form we have a long outside shot... Feel worse than last year because the West is so much stronger tbh

rascal
03-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Like last year this year's team will need lots of luck with injuries to the top teams.

timtonymanu
03-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Spurs need Indiana and Miami to lose a few. I'm thinking too far ahead, but the Spurs can't be in the Finals without HCA again even though they are a better road team this season.

itzsoweezee
03-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Parker was amazing last year. This year he's only been above average. He needs to get back to unstoppable for the spurs to have a chance.

spurs10
03-02-2014, 03:16 PM
I want to enjoy this last run no matter the result.. Well said.

Russ
03-02-2014, 04:06 PM
If we see the rumored Ayers jumper, the team will be celebrating this June :toast

He'll have to hit it when he's completely unguarded -- that's pressure.

downunder
03-02-2014, 06:20 PM
This year Pop has a challenge. He has a reputation as he has had Duncan, Parker & Ginobli on the floor for most of the time. He got away with not relying on the depth of his roster. If Spurs are to succeed Pop will have to adjust. Like Pop, those three guys are older; his team backbone needs rests in a hard game. While their minds are willing the big three know their flesh is weak. Their age/health is catching up with them. Pop has to look after them for the long run in the playoffs but get the bench involved more and more in working with them. The good thing is that Duncan, Parker & Ginobli are smart players not just physical. Spurs can do it !!!

look_at_g_shred
04-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Let's revisit this question April 16th at 9:30pm.

look_at_g_shred
04-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Wesbrook is not the guy that worries me. It's Jackson
Still the most concerning aspect of OKC.

ElNono
04-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Let me tell you after watching TP in the 1st game... so far he's either not looking good or hiding his cards... outside of that, this team is a better team, IMO. We can play solid defense, Kawhi looks better, we have an actual backup PG...

Budkin
04-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Way more this year. We have 6 as motivation.

Reck
04-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Last year was like a bonus after the first two rounds. With everyone (OKC, mainly) intact it should be tougher and should the Spurs advance to the Finals it would feel that much greater of an accomplishment.

Dont let the OKC sweep fool you though. Spurs are not about to lay down now.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Far more. Last year's run into the playoffs was littered with injuries and marred with bad losses, and we had a tired Manu and no backup PG.

This year we have a healthy squad clicking on all cylinders, a solid rotation, and every chance in the world to go all the way, with OKC as the biggest threat. If we get out of the West I am confident we will win the Finals this year.