PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Duncan would not re-sign with our current FO

Aremid
02-28-2014, 11:59 AM
This isn’t so much about failing to get Danny Granger as much as it is having to resort to BUYOUTS to fill a critical need after a piss poor offseason and trading deadline performance. What happened to the Spurs’ FO of old? The EXCELLENT FO that pushed for and acquired respectable role players like Robert Horry, Brent Barry, Michael Finley. Why has the FO stooped so low to resort to players like Ayers and Bonner when Tim Duncan clearly has so little time left? Do you think the 2000 FA Tim Duncan would re-sign with a front office as incompetent as ours is today? Hell no, and rightfully so. Danny Granger wants to go to a team committed to winning, and with our FO’s decisions the past few years it’s so obvious this team’s goal is just to make the playoffs and hope for the best. That’s such a loser’s mentality. No wonder Granger doesn’t want to play for us! I remember the good old days when we used to mock Phoenix Suns fans for having the mentality of getting the top seed in the west and being satisfied with 2nd round exits. Never did I ever imagine this would happen to us. As the FO has given up on this team and this season, don’t be surprised if us fans do too.

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 12:05 PM
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140206170346/starboundgame/images/5/5f/Ancient_aliens_guy.jpg

ChumpDumper
02-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Please give up on this team now.

Thanks.

Juggity
02-28-2014, 12:10 PM
complaining while the spurs sit 1.5 games out of first place in the western conference?

The FO has done a great job acquiring the following players and molding them into crucial contributors very recently:
Green
Kawhi
Splitter
Diaw
Mills
Belinelli

Not sure why the FO deserves criticism with all those success stories in literally the last 3 years. This team is good enough to win a title. You can't control what waived players are looking for in terms of a destination team. Granger demanded playing time despite being a broken down husk.

FromWayDowntown
02-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Yes, a front office that builds a team that can maintain the 2nd best record in a ridiculous Western Conference even after losing 3 of its 4 best wings and its all-star point guard for an extended period of time is simply incompetent.

My favorite part of rants like this is the assumption that if the front office had just tried a bit harder, different players would be on this roster. I'm curious how anyone (other than a member of the front office staff) could know that the Spurs Plan A this offseason was Bellineli + Ayres and that there was absolutely no effort to find other solutions. The fact that the front office did what it did does not demonstrate that what it did was all that it had hoped or tried to do.

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 12:15 PM
complaining while the spurs sit 1.5 games out of first place in the western conference?

The FO has done a great job acquiring the following players and molding them into crucial contributors very recently:
Green
Kawhi
Splitter
Diaw
Mills
Belinelli

Not sure why the FO deserves criticism with all those success stories in literally the last 3 years. This team is good enough to win a title. You can't control what waived players are looking for in terms of a destination team. Granger demanded playing time despite being a broken down husk.

Haven't you heard? Four of those players don't count because they're not American.

kjhip1
02-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Funny that OP is saying FO has loser's mentality and we've been to playoffs every single year with Duncan. Oh and gotten over 50 games for more than a decade! Spurs can't win title every year, news flash! Funny part is we've won Three titles since 2000. I really hope trolling was the source of this thread, I mean people can't really be this dumb, right? Smh

Mugen
02-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Gettin' Juggity with it.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Blaming the FO for Granger signing with the Clippers is pretty funny. When I heard the Clips had an interest in him I knew we wouldn't get him. Danny is thinking about his next contract, not the remainder of this season. He's battling Barnes and Dudley for playing time on the Clippers, so he should get a lot of run. Playing in LA, even for the Clippers, is pretty high profile, so he'll get the attention he'll need to sign a decent contract this off season.

I was trying to figure out how he'd get minutes on this team, and the most I could work him up to was around 15 minutes a game. I'm sure he did a similar analysis of the rosters, potential playing time, exposure, and where he could have the biggest impact. He made the smart decision for a guy standing at the cross-roads of his career. His performance the rest of this season could translate into millions of dollars depending on how he performs.

George Gervin's Afro
02-28-2014, 12:26 PM
terrible thread

Aremid
02-28-2014, 12:28 PM
Yes, a front office that builds a team that can maintain the 2nd best record in a ridiculous Western Conference even after losing 3 of its 4 best wings and its all-star point guard for an extended period of time is simply incompetent.

Wow regular season success! I didn’t know we became SUNS fans lol!

What many of you don’t understand is that getting a trio the likes of DUNCAN, PARKER, AND GINOBILI happens ONCE IN A LIFETIME. WE WILL NEVER SEE PLAYERS OF THIS CALIBUR ON THIS SPURS TEAM IN A LONG TIME. Therefore, you do whatever the hell you can to ensure that you can squeeze out as many titles of this team as possible. That includes going over salary cap, recruiting players and buttering up their egos when they become free agents. We are all grateful for 3 titles, but wanting more does not make anyone a shitty fan

dallasmaverickslose
02-28-2014, 12:30 PM
:rolleyes

bklynspursfan
02-28-2014, 12:30 PM

When's the last time the Suns won a title? Or been to the finals rather?

baseline bum
02-28-2014, 12:33 PM
2000 Tim Duncan re-signed with a starting lineup of Terry Porter, Mario Elie, Jerome Kersey, and past his prime David Robinson. Pretty sure he'd resign for one with Tony Parker, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, and Tiago Splitter with Manu Ginobili on the bench.

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 12:33 PM
That includes going over salary cap

The Spurs have gone over the salary cap every year since 2000.

kjhip1
02-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Truth bombs being dropped everywhere!

Leetonidas
02-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Since 2010 the Spurs have gotten Green, Leonard, Beli, Mills, Diaw, and Jack. Pretty good for not having decent picks or much cap space. Just shut the fuck up, gnsfs. You morons act like the Spurs not getting a player at the deadline means they must not have been trying. When every team wants Leonard/1st round pick for anything decent, what the fuck do you think is gonna happen? Who did you think the Spurs were gonna get for trash players like De Colo/Bonner/Joseph/Ayres/Baynes/etc

Leetonidas
02-28-2014, 12:48 PM
And crying about a player picking fucking LA over San Antonio, especially considering the playing time he will be more likely to get there because he's still fairly young and wants to secure another decent contract, is fucking stupid. If you want to blame the FO for Granger looking out for himself and his family (which he should) then you can go fuck a tree branch

FromWayDowntown
02-28-2014, 12:57 PM

Well, the last time I checked, the front office has more than just regular season success on its resume. In fact, the last time the Spurs made the playoffs, they reached the Finals and but for one absolutely ridiculous sequence of events, would be champions. So, the very front office that you say is incompetent put basically this same team in position to win a title last year. That is, the last time this front office was put to the playoff test that you think they're too incompetent to pass, their success (and competence) was absolutely evident.

What many of you don’t understand is that getting a trio the likes of DUNCAN, PARKER, AND GINOBILI happens ONCE IN A LIFETIME. WE WILL NEVER SEE PLAYERS OF THIS CALIBUR ON THIS SPURS TEAM IN A LONG TIME. Therefore, you do whatever the hell you can to ensure that you can squeeze out as many titles of this team as possible. That includes going over salary cap, recruiting players and buttering up their egos when they become free agents. We are all grateful for 3 titles, but wanting more does not make anyone a shitty fan

Again -- what proof do you have that the front office hasn't tried to do any or all of the things that you want them to do? And, per my initial point, the fact that those things haven't happened isn't proof that the front office didn't try to make them happen. Do you know for a fact that they haven't reached out to free agents and tried to butter up their egos? Do you know for a fact that they haven't done all that they can do to entice those sorts of players to come to SA? That players choose to go other places does not, by itself, prove that the Spurs haven't done enough to bring them to SA.

Assuming that the front office just doesn't care about winning is pretty absurd; it wholly ignores history.

02-28-2014, 01:05 PM
This is the type of speculation thread that doesn't hold much water.

Timmy knows full well that the Spurs go after role players that they feel would seamlessly fit in with their system. For the most part, it's worked and in some instances it didn't pay off.

The Spurs tried to get Greg Oden and Danny Granger, but in the end, it didn't go their way.

TheGoldStandard
02-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Can't fault the front office for guys not coming here when they are looking for a paycheck next season and beyond and we are not spending money on granger.

The only criticism I have is Jeff Ayres, Manu got paid a tad too much same with Tiago and we keep re upping Bonner.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Spurs were in the finals last season. The Finals went seven games. I don't think you're using the term "regular season success" correctly.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
For the Special Ed wing of ST:

POP DOESN'T GUARANTEE PLAYING TIME

Aremid
02-28-2014, 01:20 PM
For the Special Ed wing of ST:

POP DOESN'T GUARANTEE PLAYING TIME

and has pop's way worked the past 7 years lol???!!

ChumpDumper
02-28-2014, 01:22 PM
If only we guaranteed Granger playing time....

superbigtime
02-28-2014, 01:25 PM
how can you not give the FO credit for Belinelli? Ayres was definitely a swing and a miss. But no FO is going to get what they want every time with the exception of the super hot star laden teams in big markets. We all share frustrations with not getting the player we want or over paying a position need. The FO is definitely not perfect (Matt Bonner, Jim Boylen) but the Spurs organization has been run the same way for years now.

Ron Swanson
02-28-2014, 01:27 PM
http://tadaskew.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/bill-cosby-magic-weiner.gif

Seventyniner
02-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Note to self: best way to troll ST is to act like a butthurt gnsf

Arcadian
02-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Yeah I actually think you have a good point. And it's a fallacy to say "we're the second seed in the west, so we must be doing something right" when your entire argument was that we have become a regular season team with nothing to show for it in the playoffs.

However, I can't help but to remind you that this team was a rebound from a championship...so maybe the FO is relying on the assumption that "we can get it done with the same guys" (plus Belinelli).

T Park
02-28-2014, 03:59 PM

It's worked since 1998 yes you fucking imbecile.

T Park
02-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Can't fault the front office for guys not coming here when they are looking for a paycheck next season and beyond and we are not spending money on granger.

The only criticism I have is Jeff Ayres, Manu got paid a tad too much same with Tiago and we keep re upping Bonner.

He's been resigned once.

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 04:02 PM
He's been resigned once.

Twice. For 3 years in 2007 and for 4 years in 2010.

crc21209
02-28-2014, 04:11 PM
2000 Tim Duncan re-signed with a starting lineup of Terry Porter, Mario Elie, Jerome Kersey, and past his prime David Robinson. Pretty sure he'd resign for one with Tony Parker, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, and Tiago Splitter with Manu Ginobili on the bench.

Bingo. OP must be a fairly new fan of the Spurs and doesnt even remember the 2000 roster.

Trainwreck2100
02-28-2014, 04:11 PM

2000 Duncan reuped cause doc wouldn't let his woman on the plane

crc21209
02-28-2014, 04:13 PM

So in reality...Pop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Doc. Doc can have Granger for all I care. Pop won the REAL battle in 2000...:lol

Mel_13
02-28-2014, 04:14 PM

Doc the super recruiter?

Couldn't pry Duncan away in 2000. Couldn't keep Ray Allen (for twice as much money, btw) in 2012.

But hey, he closed the deal on Danny Granger in 2014.

Gospursel
02-28-2014, 05:30 PM
This is the best thread I've seen in weeks simply because of all of the truth bombs falling on spurfaters (spurs fan/haters)

SupremeGuy
02-28-2014, 05:45 PM
holy shit the op got fucking prison raped up and down this entire thread... :lol

ThePop
02-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Guys like Finley, Horry, Barry came here because we were winning championships. Those teams had Duncan in his prime, that's not the case anymore. Sure there is a small chance we could do it this year, but with this core it is probably the last year. That said not sure why anyone would choose the Clippers, they ain't winning anything.

Kool Bob Love
02-28-2014, 05:52 PM
It's 2014 tho......

gameFACE
02-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Let's see:

2011 - 1st round exit
2012 - WC Finals
2013 - NBA Finals

Eh, am I missing something here or has there been progress the last few years?

Aremid
02-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Yeah I actually think you have a good point. And it's a fallacy to say "we're the second seed in the west, so we must be doing something right" when your entire argument was that we have become a regular season team with nothing to show for it in the playoffs.

However, I can't help but to remind you that this team was a rebound from a championship...so maybe the FO is relying on the assumption that "we can get it done with the same guys" (plus Belinelli).
thats a terrible assumption every team got so much better this year except for us!!!

jkid12456
02-28-2014, 06:24 PM
we can't have that mindset "we've been successful over the past 7 years prior to 2007, let's just keep doing what we're doing" cuz it's obviously not workin for the past 6 years from now.

we got to adapt, and change our philosophies a bit, and try something new when we got all these rising teams in the west like okc. it would not hurt to get individual greatness instead of role players. we've seen what happened in big games. lets learn

Aremid
02-28-2014, 06:26 PM
we can't have that mindset "we've been successful over the past 10 years, let's just keep doing what we're doing" cuz it's not obviously not workin for the past 6 years.

we got to adapt, and change our philosophies a bit, and try something new. it would not hurt.

better not say that the hive here will call you a spoiled idiotic fan lol

xellos88330
02-28-2014, 06:40 PM
^ Truth hurts don't it?

Sean Cagney
02-28-2014, 06:47 PM
This isn’t so much about failing to get Danny Granger as much as it is having to resort to BUYOUTS to fill a critical need after a piss poor offseason and trading deadline performance. What happened to the Spurs’ FO of old? The EXCELLENT FO that pushed for and acquired respectable role players like Robert Horry, Brent Barry, Michael Finley. Why has the FO stooped so low to resort to players like Ayers and Bonner when Tim Duncan clearly has so little time left? Do you think the 2000 FA Tim Duncan would re-sign with a front office as incompetent as ours is today? Hell no, and rightfully so. Danny Granger wants to go to a team committed to winning, and with our FO’s decisions the past few years it’s so obvious this team’s goal is just to make the playoffs and hope for the best. That’s such a loser’s mentality. No wonder Granger doesn’t want to play for us! I remember the good old days when we used to mock Phoenix Suns fans for having the mentality of getting the top seed in the west and being satisfied with 2nd round exits. Never did I ever imagine this would happen to us. As the FO has given up on this team and this season, don’t be surprised if us fans do too.

We made the finals last year and almost won and made the WCF the year before, how does that equate to the Suns? Loser mentality? What have the Clippers who he just went to done in the playoffs sides early round exits? They are who you just mentioned above and he signs there! I guess that is a winning mentality there. How many teams have made the finals that are so called elite out there? Not the LAC! Not GSW! OKC did one time and got killed there. Indiana? The Spurs have done pretty well with older guys and the FO is not to shabby I guess, but you continue to post this nonsense.
we can't have that mindset "we've been successful over the past 7 years prior to 2007, let's just keep doing what we're doing" cuz it's obviously not workin for the past 6 years from now.

we got to adapt, and change our philosophies a bit, and try something new when we got all these rising teams in the west like okc. it would not hurt to get individual greatness instead of role players. we've seen what happened in big games. lets learn
What happens in big games? I would say they were pretty damn close with that team you want to revamp! Big names? Who is going to want to sign here that is individually great and for how much? Please let me know who? Role players sometimes can win a title for you that the Spurs have picked up in the past, did well there with SOME ROLE players I would believe from time to time.

Baam
02-28-2014, 06:53 PM
It's probably true. Tim resigned because he was already a champ and because of Robinson... TP and Manu took pay cuts because they won championships... Winning is the foundation of the Duncan era. The new look Spurs haven't won a championship in a long long time, it makes a world of difference.

Also gotta lol at people giving Pop credit for resigning Duncan and not DRob and who also give credit to the FO for Diaw instead of TP... Typical fan boys looking for any reason to suck Pops dick even if they have to make stuff up...

BoricuaCJA
02-28-2014, 09:16 PM
A 2000 Duncan wouldn't resign b/c we have no money to even remotely pay him money. Another thing is if 2000 Duncan was on this team, we would be favorites BY FAR and Granger would of sign with us in a heart beat!!!

Stop overreacting on a past his prime injured plagued player. Our FO has made mediocare talent into well known roll players. Mills wasn't really known around the league, Danny Green couldn't get any minutes on a LBJ lead Cavs and now is one of the best defenders/3point shooter in the league. Diaw was considered Lazy and no one really wanted a fat Diaw. Now look how he stepped up! List goes on and on...

I'm happy were in the position were in b/c of all the injuries we had and only being 1.5 games back from 1st in West.

Chewbacca
02-28-2014, 09:28 PM
:lol

DeadlyDynasty
02-28-2014, 09:28 PM
It's worked since 1998 yes you fucking imbecile.
What's with the name-calling? No wonder this forum has gone downhill and all the old posters left

Johnny RIngo
02-28-2014, 09:36 PM
The front office has been terrible this year but let's not make outlandish statements. The current squad with 2000 Duncan is probably a favorite for the title. No reason why he wouldn't resign here.

timtonymanu
What's with the name-calling? No wonder this forum has gone downhill and all the old posters left

:lmao

ElNono
solid panic thread... DD will oblige with some Xanax if you need some...

Hoops Czar
02-28-2014, 09:42 PM
How an organization full of "class" and use the term class loosely can be so picky about its players but, will allow a closet alcoholic to make everyday basketball decisions is beyond me.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2014, 09:50 PM
How an organization full of "class" and use the term class loosely can be so picky about its players but, will allow a closet alcoholic to make everyday basketball decisions is beyond me.What is your source for your accusation here?

Speak up.

Spursfan092120
02-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Spoiled ass, bitch ass, fake fan. That is all.

Obstructed_View
03-01-2014, 11:04 AM

Well if you ignore the playoff run from less than a year ago, the Spurs only have regular season success. :rolleyes

Obstructed_View
03-01-2014, 11:05 AM

Yeah these newbies like T Park.

DPG21920
03-01-2014, 11:11 AM
What is your source for your accusation here?

Speak up.

Well, I don't know about anything else but he did get arrested for DWI.

TheGoldStandard
03-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Even at the bulk of his prime he was underpaid so it's not so much about money but the relationships he's developed with the team and organization. It wasn't until after there championship runs that they gave him a 20m season.

Same for Tony and Manu.. these guys could have gotten cash thrown at them at they could he on espn getting endorsed to play in a big market and shitty teams but they like there situation. They've never said they would flirt with free agency. Do I think the spurs overpaid Manu yeah by a few mil but that's not my decision. The only bad decisions the spurs have ever made was signing Ayres and keeping Bonner around as long as they have.

Mikeanaro
03-01-2014, 11:47 AM
2006 Bonner would demand another trade with our current FO :lmao just kidding this thread is useless

exstatic
03-01-2014, 02:26 PM

This.

Budkin
03-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Duncan would not have re-signed with the FO in 2000 if it wasn't for D-Rob

Prime Time
03-01-2014, 11:24 PM
How is Dirk Nowitzki doing? His Mavericks are no where near contenders. Or Kobe Bryant, He's currently on the bench watching his team sink to the bottom of it's conference. Hell, Lets look at KG - Someone who's had a hard time getting to the playoffs in the EASTERN conference.

Now lets take a peak at what the FO has given Duncan. A potential All-Star in Kawhi Leonard who is arguably a top 5 SF defender in the league, The best overall 3&D player in Danny Green, One of the most versatile players in the league with Boris Diaw, An All-Star worthy Tony Parker, then surrounded by some terrific pieces in Manu Ginobili/Tiago Splitter/Patty Mills/Marco Belinelli. All this leads to one of the highest records in the Western Conference. Lol 'FO did nothing to help Duncan.' Sick of hearing that argument when we missed on Danny freaking Granger :lmao

exstatic
03-02-2014, 12:22 AM
What is your source for your accusation here?

Speak up.

He seems to equate one DUI with being an alcoholic. Silly boy.

moisaenz
03-02-2014, 12:28 AM
I do think the FO has fallen short in Free Agency... But POP doesnt promise free agents playing time... and I think the Big 3 would not like something like that either... But Spurs FO have done a lot for Duncan even though being a small market team.... Although Spurs should look into getting Carlesimo back...

purist
03-02-2014, 01:32 AM
Same shit as alwAys on this board. Stfu already. Aremid. You are not as smart as you are pretending to be. Why do I bother.....

hsxvvd
03-02-2014, 05:53 AM
you lost me at "Finley".