PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Jerry West: This is a poor draft class

Michael Jordan.
02-28-2014, 06:21 PM
If Jerry West still ran an NBA franchise, he wouldn’t be tanking for this year’s draft class. In fact, the Hall of Famer and former NBA executive said he was unimpressed by this group of freshmen (http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-jerry-west-speaks-on-current-nba-2014-draft-and-kobe/2014/02/26/), calling it “poor.”
Apparently, Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid, Aaron Gordon and Andrew Wiggins don’t do it for West.

“And everyone is talking about a great draft class this year, I think it’s just the opposite,” West said in an interview on ESPN Radio with Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Rusillo. ”I think it’s a poor one myself.”
West is down on the NBA as a whole, and he thinks organizations depending on these young players is a major problem.

“Just look at the league — this is the weakest I’ve ever seen this league,” West said. “We are depending on people who go to school for a year to come in and change a sports franchise. Rarely does that ever happen.”

“At one time you could get a branded name. These kids are not branded today. They’re not branded. And by that I mean kids who have played in school for three or four years and [he] comes out and people know who he is. He’s tutored, he’s more mature, more experienced. Those kinds of players come in and make an impact right away. But if you look at some of these kids, it takes about three years for them to get going. And for a team that’s really struggling, you’re selling your fans that this player’s going to make us better. Most of the time it does not happen today.”

http://nypost.com/2014/02/27/jerry-west-no-fan-of-nbas-highly-touted-draft-class/

Kool Bob Love
02-28-2014, 06:29 PM
:lmaoLakers

RsxPiimp
02-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Hard to argue with West. He knows talent when he sees one. Every player in this draft has been overhyped, that much is true. I wouldn't say it's poor though, it's current crop is very reminiscent of the 95 class.

HemisfairArena
02-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Mitch Kupchak doesn't know how to draft. Mitch will pick this year's Sam Bowie and the team behind the Lakers will get the next MJ.

elmanutres
02-28-2014, 06:46 PM
“Just look at the league — this is the weakest I’ve ever seen this league,” West said. “We are depending on people who go to school for a year to come in and change a sports franchise. Rarely does that ever happen.”

This is very true. The one and done rule is seriously ruining the quality of basketball. Now you got a bunch of kids struggling to learn the game in limited minutes in a tougher league because they suck, when they should've learned it in college. It's why a guy like lillard is playing better than the guys picked above him except Anthony Davis, who are one of those rare exceptions West is talking about.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-28-2014, 06:53 PM
What West said was true. With that being said, in 3-5 years, Wiggins will be a top 5 player in the league. Book it.

DMC
02-28-2014, 07:14 PM
West just saying what I've already said. Tell him to get his own shit.

Killakobe81
02-28-2014, 07:33 PM
He is right. Like Thread I advocate flipping our pick for an established legit star ...
Too bad there aren't many available.
I think Laker fans are pinning their hopes in EXUM because these frosh are underwhelming compared to Durant, Melo, Rose or even Beasley in college.
So since we are not seeing him underwhelm, his stock is rising.

In short, I think this class is good, not great.

RsxPiimp
02-28-2014, 07:34 PM
West just saying what I've already said. Tell him to get his own shit.

Want a cookie?

Killakobe81
02-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Mitch Kupchak doesn't know how to draft. Mitch will pick this year's Sam Bowie and the team behind the Lakers will get the next MJ.

:lol
:rollin
:lmao

RsxPiimp
02-28-2014, 07:36 PM
He is right. Like Thread I advocate flipping our pick for an established legit star ...
I think Laker fans are pinning their hopes in EXUM because these frosh are underwhelming compared to Durant, Melo, Rose or even Beasley in college.

I like Exum, but only if the Lakers drops below 5. Too much of a risk investing a high pick on him. Who do you like KK? I still like Embiid out of them all if we're going to keep the pick.

Killakobe81
02-28-2014, 07:46 PM
I like Exum, but only if the Lakers drops below 5. Too much of a risk investing a high pick on him. Who do you like KK? I still like Embiid out of them all if we're going to keep the pick.

I like Parker's polish but if Embid or wiggins is there you take them because they have more trade value if we deal and higher ceiling if we keep 'em.

ElNono
02-28-2014, 07:48 PM
look at Anthony Bennett... Jerry is onto something...

LkrFan
02-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Poor as in no bonafide future HOFers, but a good draft nonetheless. He's right about teams drafting a player and their fans expect immediate dividends being disappointed due to them taking 3-4 (or more) years to develop. Once they do, because their teams' finances are weak (think MVPau and Memphis), players like this are ripe for the Lakers to poach.

Much ado about nothing. It's all good. :toast

HemisfairArena
02-28-2014, 07:59 PM

Agree. The Lakers should try to pry Irving away from Cleveland or someone in that range...maybe Drummond from Detroit... but for some reason most of you Laker fans are hell bent on keeping the pick.

LkrFan
02-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Also, players in this draft like either Exum (my first choice) or Embiid (2nd choice) are merely pieces - complimentary players until their games mature. We then should pursue established stars to carry the load. That's why cap space is critical. The Extension! hampers that effort. So until Kobe's deal comes off the books, I'm content with developing whoever we draft, put more moveable pieces together, and make a dash for KD in '16 to be the new face of the franchise. We were in a similar predicament many years ago when we went lotto to draft Eddie Jones, add other movable pieces, then was in position to draft Kobe and sign Shaq. I'm sure MK is trying to put us on a similar path. Chess, not checkers.

HemisfairArena
02-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Poor as in no bonafide future HOFers, but a good draft nonetheless. He's right about teams drafting a player and their fans expect immediate dividends being disappointed due to them taking 3-4 (or more) years to develop. Once they do, because their teams' finances are weak (think MVPau and Memphis), players like this are ripe for the Lakers to poach.

When was the last time the Lakers poached away a great player from another team?....I'll give you a hint....his name was Shaq and that was a long time ago. Why do Laker fans think everyone wants to play there and they can get them? Since Shaq the Lakers big free agent signings have been an over the hill Karl Malone, over the hill Gary Payton, and past his prime Ron Artest...and that was with Phil Jackson coaching and Jerry Buss running things and Kobe and Shaq in their prime and that's still all they could get I wouldn't be to optimistic if I were Laker fan.

Killakobe81
02-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Also, players in this draft like either Exum (my first choice) or Embiid (2nd choice) are merely pieces - complimentary players until their games mature. We then should pursue established stars to carry the load. That's why cap space is critical. The Extension! hampers that effort. So until Kobe's deal comes off the books, I'm content with developing whoever we draft, put more moveable pieces together, and make a dash for KD in '16 to be the new face of the franchise. We were in a similar predicament many years ago when we went lotto to draft Eddie Jones, add other movable pieces, then was in position to draft Kobe and sign Shaq. I'm sure MK is trying to put us on a similar path. Chess, not checkers.

I agree with you, the danger is you want to sell high. So ill be honest if it's not embid Mike d is actually a good coach for inflating stats. His system has been over-hyping players for years. So if we get Parker keep him unless we get a wow deal. IF Parker could average 17 for Coach K he may put up 23+ as a rookie with Mike No D'antoni if Kobe shares the pill enough ...

Killakobe81
02-28-2014, 08:10 PM
And once that false hype builds trade Parker in a deal for a REAL SUPERSTAR ...

Clipper Nation
02-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Even you have to admit that Fredo will draft the new Bennett, Ubaldo :lol

Michael Jordan.
02-28-2014, 08:11 PM
When was the last time the Lakers poached away a great player from another team?....I'll give you a hint....his name was Shaq and that was a long time ago. Why do Laker fans think everyone wants to play there and they can get them? Since Shaq the Lakers big free agent signings have been an over the hill Karl Malone, over the hill Gary Payton, and past his prime Ron Artest...and that was with Phil Jackson coaching and Jerry Buss running things and Kobe and Shaq in their prime and that's still all they could get I wouldn't be to optimistic if I were Laker fan.
http://www.snarksquad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/preach3.gif

Killakobe81
02-28-2014, 08:11 PM

We traded for Paul and Dwight. Despite all the doom and gloom Lakers were a veto away from 2nd best to Miami status ...

HemisfairArena
02-28-2014, 08:20 PM
We traded for Paul and Dwight. Despite all the doom and gloom Lakers were a veto away from 2nd best to Miami status ...

And you just proved what I said. Pau, Dwight and CP3 were all trades not free agent signings. And Howard even left laughing in the Lakers face as he did so. The Lakers haven't signed shit in free agency since Shaq and that's not about to change with Buss Jr. running things.

02-28-2014, 08:25 PM
This is very true. The one and done rule is seriously ruining the quality of basketball. Now you got a bunch of kids struggling to learn the game in limited minutes in a tougher league because they suck, when they should've learned it in college. It's why a guy like lillard is playing better than the guys picked above him except Anthony Davis, who are one of those rare exceptions West is talking about.
Spot on. I heard Silver is raising the minimum age though.

Killakobe81
02-28-2014, 08:34 PM
And you just proved what I said. Pau, Dwight and CP3 were all trades not free agent signings. And Howard even left laughing in the Lakers face as he did so. The Lakers haven't signed shit in free agency since Shaq and that's not about to change with Buss Jr. running things.

Doesnt matter trades/signings point is if they happened before ...
again I do think we will be back for at least 3 years.
I just think Durant and Lebron are pipe dreams.
Lakers will have to settle for Love, George Kyrie types ... and I am not 100% sold on either.
There is no guarantees either.

Rogue
02-28-2014, 08:43 PM
NBA draft have been piss poor for years imho, people expected 13 class would make a difference but it failed even worse than prior years (Anthony Bennett :lmao)

lefty
02-28-2014, 09:31 PM
West with the troof bombs

The NBA has become a league of overhyped crap players who depend on refs food stamps and new rules that make their stat padding much easier

DMC
03-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Want a cookie?
I've already taken yours.