PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Where will Pau sign in the offseason?

Michael Jordan.
02-28-2014, 08:25 PM
With Pau Gasol (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/996/pau-gasol) on his way to missing the playoffs for just the fourth time in his 13-year NBA career, and the first time since being traded to the Los Angeles Lakers (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/lal/los-angeles-lakers), the veteran big man announced that his free-agency decision will come down to wins, not money, this offseason.

"Honestly, I'm not ruling out renewing my contract, I'm just open to every option," Gasol wrote Friday on his personal website. "My decision will be based purely on sporting considerations. It couldn't be any other way. I want to be in a team with a real chance of winning a ring and where I can help to compete for it. I would like to win another championship. The financial side comes second at this stage of my career."
Gasol is in the final year of his deal with the Lakers, paying him $19.3 million. Considering the scarcity of quality big men in the league -- Gasol is averaging 17.0 points, 10.1 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.5 blocks per game this season -- the four-time All-Star could conceivably command an eight-figure salary on the open market.

However, according to Gasol, his priority is to find a situation that will allow him to add to his collection of two championship rings. That is more important to him than padding his career earnings, which are already north of $156 million, according to BasketballReference.com.

Gasol will become an unrestricted free agent July 1. While he has stated in the past that his preference is to remain in Los Angeles, his repeated head-butting with Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni, combined with his championship-or-bust declaration, would seemingly reduce the chances of him remaining with the rebuilding Lakers beyond this season.
"I'm a free agent with no restrictions," Gasol wrote. "That means I can go wherever I want. The Lakers don't have any bargaining rights. My franchise has the chance of offering me more money and a longer contract, but that's not all that's going to matter as far as my decision."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10534317/pau-gasol-los-angeles-lakers-wants-win-not-focused-free-agency-payday

PauGonePERIOD.

spurraider21
02-28-2014, 08:29 PM
:cry the spurs because they're classy maybe he'll take a paycut

HemisfairArena
02-28-2014, 08:30 PM
If he's smart he goes to OKC. Perkins is a joke. Ibaka? Give Durant and Westbrook a decent big in the paint and look out.

Clipper Nation
02-28-2014, 08:33 PM
MVPau is always welcome across the hallway at Staples, tbh....

Kool Bob Love
02-28-2014, 08:35 PM

Basketball reasons right?

spurraider21
02-28-2014, 08:36 PM
miami for the mini mid level exception

benefactor
02-28-2014, 08:42 PM
I think Phoenix would be a good location. They've got a good core of players, a good coach and are only really missing a solid starting big man.

Thread
02-28-2014, 09:29 PM

He'd definitely make easier on your Spurs from there.

Thread
02-28-2014, 09:29 PM
I think Phoenix would be a good location. They've got a good core of players, a good coach and are only really missing a solid starting big man.

Though they drafted one at #5 last draft.

DeadlyDynasty
02-28-2014, 09:34 PM
He can't leave soon enough.

Rogue
02-28-2014, 10:01 PM
wherever he goes he will later regret departing from God, without whom he has never won even a single game in the playoffs.

LkrFan
02-28-2014, 10:37 PM
With Pau Gasol (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/996/pau-gasol) on his way to missing the playoffs for just the fourth time in his 13-year NBA career, and the first time since being traded to the Los Angeles Lakers (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/lal/los-angeles-lakers), the veteran big man announced that his free-agency decision will come down to wins, not money, this offseason.

"Honestly, I'm not ruling out renewing my contract, I'm just open to every option," Gasol wrote Friday on his personal website. "My decision will be based purely on sporting considerations. It couldn't be any other way. I want to be in a team with a real chance of winning a ring and where I can help to compete for it. I would like to win another championship. The financial side comes second at this stage of my career."
Gasol is in the final year of his deal with the Lakers, paying him $19.3 million. Considering the scarcity of quality big men in the league -- Gasol is averaging 17.0 points, 10.1 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.5 blocks per game this season -- the four-time All-Star could conceivably command an eight-figure salary on the open market.

However, according to Gasol, his priority is to find a situation that will allow him to add to his collection of two championship rings. That is more important to him than padding his career earnings, which are already north of $156 million, according to BasketballReference.com.

Gasol will become an unrestricted free agent July 1. While he has stated in the past that his preference is to remain in Los Angeles, his repeated head-butting with Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni, combined with his championship-or-bust declaration, would seemingly reduce the chances of him remaining with the rebuilding Lakers beyond this season.
"I'm a free agent with no restrictions," Gasol wrote. "That means I can go wherever I want. The Lakers don't have any bargaining rights. My franchise has the chance of offering me more money and a longer contract, but that's not all that's going to matter as far as my decision."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10534317/pau-gasol-los-angeles-lakers-wants-win-not-focused-free-agency-payday

PauGonePERIOD.

Pau to New York for Daddy (http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mk2z86w):

Exum (Lotto Pick)
Mamba
Wes Johnson
Melo (FA signing)
Daddy

Knicks East Baby! :lol

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2014, 10:38 PM
why not go back to memphis?

HemisfairArena
02-28-2014, 10:41 PM
why not go back to memphis?

Because he said he wants to go to a team with a chance to win a championship.

Thebesteva
02-28-2014, 11:33 PM

What happened to the Clippers tbh? They had a ton of potential to be legit this season

TheGoldStandard
03-01-2014, 12:20 AM
Indiana, Miami, San Antonio or OKC those make the most sense.

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2014, 01:37 AM
He shouldn't be a top 2 option anymore, obviously, and I'm not sure he should even be a 3rd guy at this point..

His attitude could change in a different environment, it's evident that he hasn't given full effort in LA since 2011 IMO, but it's possible that he no longer has the drive to be a great player in the league anymore..

His defense is horrendous nowadays and his post game is inconsistent..he's suited to be a high-post C that faces up and creates(like Noah's offensive role in Chicago this season, for example), but I don't know how you can effectively mask his defensive flaws when he's playing the C position, tbh..

Gasol is suited to be a 6th man nowadays, unless he's surrounded by elite athletes for defensive purposes..I can't think of a team that fits the criteria, tbh..

Thread
03-01-2014, 01:41 AM
Gasol is suited to be a 6th man nowadays, unless he's surrounded by elite athletes for defensive purposes..I can't think of a team that fits the criteria, tbh..

He could be the reverse ink spot on the Globetrotters.

spurraider21
03-01-2014, 01:42 AM
miami for the mini mid level exception

fits Harlem's criteria