PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Phil looking to coattail again?

djohn2oo8
03-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Q: I noticed that (Houston Rockets general manager) Daryl Morey was the first guy to greet you after
your panel yesterday, and it made me wonder if that situation might not intrigue you. You wanted to coach Dwight in LA, and it made me wonder if you might not be involved in that situation at some point. What's your outlook on Houston?

A: They're playing well. They're starting to play really well together, and it's a chemistry thing that's starting to connect with them. Dwight was able to do things to people he could manhandle in the post early on, and he'd have good games or so-so games. But now the coordination between he and (Rockets small forward Chandler) Parsons — those guys are starting to get it and to know how to use him and to know how to play in what they're trying to do now, passing well out of it and getting three points shots. You know, a lot of people say they don't see them in the Finals in the West but I think they have a chance to be in the Finals in the West.

You know, they may have a young guy at (power forward), but with (backup center Omer) Asik back they might be able to start putting a lot of things together where there will be both Asik and Howard on the floor. And in the NBA playoffs, after the first game or so everything becomes halfcourt. And then it's (about) who can grind it out and defend. And when you've got big defenders, this may be an opportunity for them to really step through that to another level. They had a good run last year against Oklahoma — didn't win, but they pressed them. And now with Dwight there, they're looking for things to go forward a little bit. I think we've all wanted to see Dwight develop a really good post-up game, and I just saw his left hand come back, he started shooting again where it looked like his left hand was back. That's been one of his strengths, where he's been able to hold off with his right and shoot with his left — that's been one of the things he's doing well now again. So I like to see that. And I think it takes a long time to get over the type of back injury he had, and I think the Lakers weren't patient. I don't think our fans understood. I had spinal fusion, a back operation, and I know that I spent one year playing a backup role and it was difficult for me. And then after that one year of kind of getting back and getting my legs underneath me and getting a comfort zone and mobility back again, I had better years. The next three years were much better for me in my career. And I think that's going to happen to Dwight. So I encouraged Daryl.

Q: He has been playing out of his mind. The last month, it looks like the Orlando Dwight.

A: Exactly. Yeah.

Q: So considering the narrative on (Rockets coach) Kevin McHale has been that people wonder how long he wants to coach, do you have intrigue with that situation? I have to admit wondering that maybe you look at that like a do-over from what didn't happen in LA with Dwight.

A: (Laughs). No, I. I'm sorry. I mean. Um, no. I don't (pauses). I like that. That's funny. I've got a (phone) call at 10 (a.m.) — how am I doing at time?

1. No, they don't have a chance for the finals this year
2. Phil last referred to the Rockets as the Astros. Wonder wha happened.

scanry
03-02-2014, 08:55 PM
He'll only coach if OKC comes calling tbh.

lefty
03-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Which coach doesnt need superstars to win, tbh ?

Pop looked good when prime Duncan was beasting

Not so much now

spurraider21
03-02-2014, 09:04 PM

Not so much now
considering how steady we've been since duncan's decline, i'd like to give pop more credit than that...

Double-Up
03-02-2014, 09:09 PM
He's won't do it...would be nice though.

Thebesteva
03-02-2014, 09:10 PM
:lol Spurs fan thinking Popovich is on the same level as Phil

elmanutres
03-02-2014, 09:11 PM
He'll only coach if OKC comes calling tbh.

if he's not willing to coach a stacked lakers team, he won't coach okc.

irishock
03-02-2014, 09:20 PM
I can't imagine Phil sitting Jordan out for a final offensive possession.

djohn2oo8
03-02-2014, 09:20 PM
He's won't do it...would be nice though.
Just saying, why would he say this now? Before the playoffs even started, Zen Master already planting seeds.

lefty
03-02-2014, 09:22 PM
considering how steady we've been since duncan's decline, i'd like to give pop more credit than that...
meh watered down NBA tbh

But come playoff time, Pop has shit the bed a lot lately

Thread
03-02-2014, 09:23 PM

Not so much now

Or, last June.

tee, hee.

Thread
03-02-2014, 09:25 PM

...can Pop at least answer for last June (aside from this Forum) before you heap more wampum on him?

Christ-a-mighty!!!

spurraider21
03-02-2014, 09:31 PM
...can Pop at least answer for last June (aside from this Forum) before you heap more wampum on him?

Christ-a-mighty!!!
big picture cub

Clipper Nation
03-02-2014, 09:32 PM
if he's not willing to coach a stacked lakers team, he won't coach okc.

No way he coaches a beta like Durbeta without one of the most dominant bigs of all time to carry him :lol

spurraider21
03-02-2014, 09:32 PM
meh watered down NBA tbh

But come playoff time, Pop has shit the bed a lot lately
outside of 6 ?(which yeah, isn't something u can just write off), he's been fine. not much he could have done in the OKC series. not much he could do against memphis when TD was getting manhandled by fat gasol

Rogue
03-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Phil will re-join the Lakers for a 3rd tenure when God comes back accompanied by Kyrie Irving and Melo, tbh.

Thread
03-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Phil will re-join the Lakers for a 3rd tenure when God comes back accompanied by Kyrie Irving and Melo, tbh.

Or, he doesn't insist on bringing his entire entourage from back to his Knick days to present day and all his American Tourister Luggage collection.

lefty
03-02-2014, 10:09 PM
outside of 6 ?(which yeah, isn't something u can just write off), he's been fine. not much he could have done in the OKC series. not much he could do against memphis when TD was getting manhandled by fat gasol
Pop was shit vs Dallas in 2006 tbh

lol outcoached by AJ

spurraider21
03-02-2014, 10:10 PM
7 years ago, dude. and we've won a title since then. that series came down to manu anyway

LkrFan
03-03-2014, 03:35 AM
Q: I noticed that (Houston Rockets general manager) Daryl Morey was the first guy to greet you after
your panel yesterday, and it made me wonder if that situation might not intrigue you. You wanted to coach Dwight in LA, and it made me wonder if you might not be involved in that situation at some point. What's your outlook on Houston?

A: They're playing well. They're starting to play really well together, and it's a chemistry thing that's starting to connect with them. Dwight was able to do things to people he could manhandle in the post early on, and he'd have good games or so-so games. But now the coordination between he and (Rockets small forward Chandler) Parsons — those guys are starting to get it and to know how to use him and to know how to play in what they're trying to do now, passing well out of it and getting three points shots. You know, a lot of people say they don't see them in the Finals in the West but I think they have a chance to be in the Finals in the West.

You know, they may have a young guy at (power forward), but with (backup center Omer) Asik back they might be able to start putting a lot of things together where there will be both Asik and Howard on the floor. And in the NBA playoffs, after the first game or so everything becomes halfcourt. And then it's (about) who can grind it out and defend. And when you've got big defenders, this may be an opportunity for them to really step through that to another level. They had a good run last year against Oklahoma — didn't win, but they pressed them. And now with Dwight there, they're looking for things to go forward a little bit. I think we've all wanted to see Dwight develop a really good post-up game, and I just saw his left hand come back, he started shooting again where it looked like his left hand was back. That's been one of his strengths, where he's been able to hold off with his right and shoot with his left — that's been one of the things he's doing well now again. So I like to see that. And I think it takes a long time to get over the type of back injury he had, and I think the Lakers weren't patient. I don't think our fans understood. I had spinal fusion, a back operation, and I know that I spent one year playing a backup role and it was difficult for me. And then after that one year of kind of getting back and getting my legs underneath me and getting a comfort zone and mobility back again, I had better years. The next three years were much better for me in my career. And I think that's going to happen to Dwight. So I encouraged Daryl.

Q: He has been playing out of his mind. The last month, it looks like the Orlando Dwight.

A: Exactly. Yeah.

Q: So considering the narrative on (Rockets coach) Kevin McHale has been that people wonder how long he wants to coach, do you have intrigue with that situation? I have to admit wondering that maybe you look at that like a do-over from what didn't happen in LA with Dwight.

A: (Laughs). No, I. I'm sorry. I mean. Um, no. I don't (pauses). I like that. That's funny. I've got a (phone) call at 10 (a.m.) — how am I doing at time?

1. No, they don't have a chance for the finals this year
2. Phil last referred to the Rockets as the Astros. Wonder wha happened.Begging for more Laker sloppy seconds, eh? He'd never coach in that shithole. :lol

djohn2oo8
03-03-2014, 12:00 PM
So, Cyberx of clutchfans, who is veryyyy legit, just posted this..

Originally Posted by cyberx http://www.clutchfans.net/bbs/images_cfans/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=8745964#post8745964)
Phil will NOT coach for the Rockets, but could be hired with some more formal role with the team in the future.

Thread
03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
^He's already on like 6 teams Board as a consultant.

ambchang
03-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Pop was shit vs Dallas in 2006 tbh

lol outcoached by AJ

Jackson was outcoached by Carlisle in 11, too. It's not like no coaches have blemishes on their record.

I still think the best coach I have seen was Chuck Daly, just revolutionized the entire game. Then it's Larry Brown, who took really unspectacular parts and made them contend and overachieve time and again. Then's it's Phil and Pop area, with Carlisle really catching up.

Don Nelson was hit and miss with just really weird ball. Rudy T took advantage of mid 90s ball with an out of his mid Hakeem, but wasn't flexible enough in other settings (Lakers tenure).

Coaches look a LOT better with superstars, but superstars look better with good coaching, it's like a symbiotic relationship.

Personally, I don't think the Spurs would have the level of success with any other coach during Pop's tenure, perhaps maybe except Carlisle and Brown (if he actually sticks around for more than 3 years), but those are great coaches on their own.

lefty
03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
exept that Carlisle is better than AJ