PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure question

ashbeeigh
03-02-2014, 09:47 PM
I have a 2010 Patriot that's tire pressure goes down every single time there is a dramatic temperature change. I drove my car a few times today so I thought I was safe from seeing the light come on. I am somewhat scared of the tires blowing out with the low pressure light on since when I was in elementary school a classmate died from a tire blow out, so I try to get it taken care of right away (like find the closest Discount Tire possible fast). Please save me the "you can do it yourself at Valero" crap. I know myself and I'm sure I'll mess it up. Is there anything I can do to help my tires from not going low every time the weather changes? This never happened in my 2004 Jetta.

HI-FI
03-02-2014, 10:28 PM
could be a slow leak imo. I'm always messing with my tires and if in your shoes I'd have it looked at to see if it needs a patch.

ashbeeigh
03-02-2014, 10:54 PM
could be a slow leak imo. I'm always messing with my tires and if in your shoes I'd have it looked at to see if it needs a patch.

But wouldn't that be consistent and not only when the weather changed? The last time this happened was early January and nothing was noted outside of some cosmetic things in the tire. But, it has been two months.

pgardn
03-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Personally I would find out some way to get them to 32 or 35, whatever it calls for, and then drive around. Then let them sit overnight in the cold. Then see if the light comes on again next cold day go have someone check your pressure again. If the pressure really is low, leak. Normal pressure bogus sensor. I would not doubt if the pressure sensor is a problem.

You gotta have a neighbor or someone who can check the pressure for you..?

DJR210
03-02-2014, 11:12 PM
It's probably tires that are low to begin with, and a small leak made worse when the tire contracts with the cold. Have a mom and pop tire shop check for leaks, and keep the tires at the correct pressure. That's about all you can do.

HI-FI
03-03-2014, 12:54 AM
But wouldn't that be consistent and not only when the weather changed? The last time this happened was early January and nothing was noted outside of some cosmetic things in the tire. But, it has been two months.
if I was in your shoes, I'd check everything with a tire gauge. I'm OCD about tires so I check them quite often, I never rely on the sensors since I don't trust them. If you don't like using a gauge, I'd just take it in and mention your problem. It's very possible it's just the sensor acting wonky.

If you only measure one tire losing air then it's a slow leak imo, but if all four are losing air, that would be strange.

FkLA
03-03-2014, 03:16 AM
Are they charging you when you go in to Discount Tire? If they are you should seriously consider getting a pressure gauge at Auto Zone. Takes 5 seconds for someone to teach you how to use it. You won't mess it up.

Wild Cobra
03-03-2014, 03:17 AM

Might be a bad check valve in the valve stem. For good measure, have new ones put in. Temperature changes can bake some materials change shape, elasticity, etc.

silverblk mystix
03-03-2014, 06:00 AM
Ask discount tires to fill them with nitrogen next time yo go there - it keeps the tire pressure more constant -

Worth it to pay a little extra for this in your case.

ashbeeigh
03-03-2014, 07:17 AM
Are they charging you when you go in to Discount Tire? If they are you should seriously consider getting a pressure gauge at Auto Zone. Takes 5 seconds for someone to teach you how to use it. You won't mess it up.

They aren't charging. That's why I got there.

Thanks for all the options. I knew y'all would come through.

CavsSuperFan
03-03-2014, 12:26 PM

djohn2oo8
03-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Yeah. If the low pressure light keeps coming on, then it's just the sensor. If tires themselves are low, probably a leak.

Nbadan
03-03-2014, 08:42 PM
blow them up to 50 ppi that will take care of the problem...