PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Doug Christie

timvp
08-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Magic will waive Christie
Amnesty rule lets guard leave, cuts luxury-tax tab
By Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer

With no trading partners in sight, the Orlando Magic will waive disgruntled guard Doug Christie in the next couple of days under the NBA's amnesty clause to free up a roster spot and avoid paying $8.2 million to the league in luxury taxes.

Although the Magic declined to comment on the waiver, NBA sources in New York confirmed the upcoming transaction.

Christie still must be paid the $8.2 million he is owed in the final year of his contract, but he will be allowed to re-sign with another team. Franchises exceeding the tax threshold ($61.7 million this season) must pay a dollar-for-dollar tax to the league.

The amnesty waiver can be used only once by each team during the league's newly approved six-year collective bargaining agreement with the players.

Without Christie on the roster, the Magic still will exceed the tax threshold by a few million dollars this season if, as expected, they sign another front-court player in the coming weeks.

The waiving of Christie will put an end to his brief, bizarre stay with the Magic. Christie, 35, grudgingly came in a trade with the Sacramento Kings last season for Cuttino Mobley, but he never was happy and quickly alienated his teammates.

With nagging bone spurs in his left ankle, he left the team without telling anyone shortly after he was taken out of the starting lineup.

He played only 21 games for the Magic, averaging 5.7 points and 2.2 assists in 25.2 minutes per game.

He then demanded another trade, saying he wanted to return to the West Coast.

Christie has told those close to him that he also would like to play in Dallas. The Magic talked to the Mavericks -- and almost everyone else in the league -- about a possible trade in the past month, but nothing materialized.

The Magic already have filled Christie's roster spot with free-agent point guard Keyon Dooling, who was at the RDV Sports-plex on Thursday after signing a three-year, $10 million contract Wednesday.

"I don't know about other people, but coming here was a no-brainer for me," said Dooling, who played last season with the Miami Heat. "I want to be here and help this organization get back to where it was the first time Coach [Brian] Hill was here."

Dooling, 25, is expected to battle Jameer Nelson and DeShawn Stevenson in training camp for playing time in the backcourt alongside Steve Francis.

NBA teams have until Aug. 15 to waive a player under the amnesty rule. Earlier this week, the Portland Trail Blazers waived guard Derek Anderson.

The Magic, in the market for another frontcourt player after No. 1 draft pick Fran Vazquez decided to stay in Spain, are waiting to see whom else is waived. They also are looking at a variety of free agents still available and a possible trade to fill that spot.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sptmagic05080505aug05,0,3387326.story?coll=orl-magic

T Park
08-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Who on the Magic is available the Spurs would be interested in??

No one more than likely.

Maybe Hedo??

Front court help......

Also, I wouldn't put Christie ahead of guys like Jalen Rose, Michael Finley, or Glenn Robinson or Devin Brown.

If he would be willing to be a 12th man ala Mike Wilks, then sure why not.

Never can have enough defensive guards who can knock down an outside shot.

Mr. Body
08-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Also, I wouldn't put Christie ahead of guys like Jalen Rose, Michael Finley, or Glenn Robinson or Devin Brown.

I wouldn't, either. But I'd expect the Spurs to give him a call. He's exactly Spurs material, even if his relationship with his wife gives me the willies, like it does everybody else.

Whoops - let me edit to take Jalen Rose off the above list. I do think SA would take Christie in front of Rose.

T Park
08-05-2005, 01:16 AM
Whoa.

Did Mr Body just approve of a player to be signed?!?!?!

ALERT THE NETWORK!!

I do think SA would take Christie in front of Rose.

I would hope not, and no, they are not THAT stupid.

Mr. Body
08-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Whoa.

Did Mr Body just approve of a player to be signed?!?!?!

Of course. I've actually advocated certain players here before. I just happen to be vocal about the players I think are washed-up or aren't Spurs-type players.

I do think Jalen Rose could work off the Spurs' bench, but I don't think that's where he thinks he belongs. So I should amend what I said before: the Spurs would take him over Christie, but I don't think they'd in any way expect him.

T Park
08-05-2005, 01:20 AM
but I don't think that's where he thinks he belongs

So now you know what players think??

I see......

iminlakerland
08-05-2005, 02:46 AM
hmmm did they speak to Mrs. Christie about this? Shes gona be furious and giving exclusive interviews soon.

Horry For 3!
08-05-2005, 03:05 AM
Who is his wife?

Horry For 3!
08-05-2005, 03:08 AM
I just looked her up, she looks alright.

baseline bum
08-05-2005, 03:39 AM
The Spurs don't need that kind of bullshit drama on their team. Christie is right up there with Antoine Walker and Jalen Rose as a player I hope to never see in the silver and black.

MI21
08-05-2005, 03:52 AM
No thank you.

Liable to shoot an airball if he happens to be on the court at an important time not to mention the fuckin' annoying habit he has on court for his wife.

Just say no.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-05-2005, 04:30 AM
Christie, 35, grudgingly came in a trade with the Sacramento Kings last season for Cuttino Mobley, but he never was happy and quickly alienated his teammates.

Sounds like a winner to me.

I just happen to be vocal about the players I think are washed-up or aren't Spurs-type players.

If you don't think Mrs. Christie, and her pussy-whipped to the uber degree husband, are washed up, that says all that needs to be said about your player evaluation skills.

This guy's game was on the decline BEFORE he left Sacramento. And you want him before 99% of the other people this board has thrown out?

Stick to the kid's pool.

AFE7FATMAN
08-05-2005, 06:06 AM
How would Mrs Christie get along with EVA? :lol

Marcus Bryant
08-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Since we are looking at the 11th and 12th roster spots right now, sure.

Mr. Body has fallen to the level of discussing potential end of the bench fodder. He has muddy drawers like the rest of us.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Well, San Antonio isn't exactly the west coast, but I suspect that playing for a team that doesn't suck as bad as Orlando would probably make it tolerable. He'd be worthing taking a look at if he's willing to ride the pine for most of the season. He's defensive minded, has a good J. The wife stuff is kind of fucked up but after Kobe Bryant's shananigans I'm surprised there aren't more NBA wives out like that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Call me shallow, but damn I really don't want to put up with the drama of his crackhead wife.

Shit, the first time he's in the same room as Eva she's probably going to set Doug's car on fire and get Tony deported to France.

Sense
08-05-2005, 10:04 AM
So now you know what players think??

I see......

Rose could very well be a Franchise player in Toronto... or atleast until Bosh matures a little more...

But... Do you really think he would come to SA, to be on the bench?

hah...

Notorious H.O.P.
08-05-2005, 10:26 AM
If he would be willing to be a 12th man ala Mike Wilks, then sure why not..

Christie thinks he can still play so he won't accept a 12th man spot. He'll probably try to go back to Sacramento or someplace he can get plenty of time to hand signal his wife from the court.

Extra Stout
08-05-2005, 10:36 AM
timvp, did you get permission from Jackie before you posted this thread about her husband?

She's going to think you did it because Kori has her eye on him.

spurster
08-05-2005, 10:36 AM
I would think his goofy hand signal is exactly the sort of thing the Spurs don't want to see on the court. If he come to the Spurs, he'd better think about getting back on defense. Just ask Malik.

FilSpursFan
08-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Who is his wife?

A jealous freak named Jackie... Silver Dancers beware

:smokin

CaptainLate
08-05-2005, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't, either. But I'd expect the Spurs to give him a call. He's exactly Spurs material, even if his relationship with his wife gives me the willies, like it does everybody else.

He's already said he wants to sign with the loser Mavs.

Kori Ellis
08-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Associated Press

DALLAS (AP) - Free agent guard Doug Christie plans to sign with the Dallas Mavericks, his agent said Thursday.

"For us, it's been exactly what we wanted," agent Bradley Marshall told The Associated Press.

Marshall said Christie likes the Mavericks style of play and believes his defensive skills make him a good fit for the team. Christie is expected to sign a multiyear deal, but Marshall wouldn't reveal any other details of the contract.

"They have got a coach (Avery Johnson) who knows how to win and make players better and the ownership is strong," Marshall said. "It's a solid situation."

The Mavs scheduled a Friday morning news conference with team owner Mark Cuban and Johnson, but didn't say what would be discussed.

Telephone messages left for Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations, were not immediately returned.

Christie, waived by the Orlando Magic last week, is expected to help fill the void created when Dallas waived Michael Finley on Monday.

Last season, Christie played 52 games and averaged 6 points per game. In his 13-year NBA career with five teams, he has averaged 11.4 points per game. Christie faced the Mavericks in the playoffs with Sacramento the past three seasons.

A strong defender who would fit well into Johnson's scheme, Christie didn't necessarily command a lot of money because Orlando still owed him about $8 million. Because of salary cap constraints, the Mavs could offer no more than $5 million and were not likely to use it all on one player.

While Marshall would not offer details of Christie's contract, he said his client turned down a one-year, $4-million deal and a 4-year, $20 million deal from other NBA teams.

"He was sought after by six or seven teams very strongly and one other team very aggressively," Marshall said. "If that doesn't tell you that he is more interested in winning and more interested in making his family comfortable with a nice place to live, I don't know what more he can do to indicate that."

Christie was among a group of players released by 18 NBA teams who took advantage of a one-time chance to avoid luxury tax obligations. Teams whose payrolls exceed $61.7 million for the upcoming season must pay a dollar-for-dollar tax on the overage.

But clubs had until Monday to use the "amnesty" option that allowed them to avoid the luxury taxes by releasing players. Players still received guaranteed money from their former teams.

exstatic
08-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Doesn't Cuban know that Jackie will kick his cake boy ass if he makes a move on PW Man?

E20
08-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Yeah let's sign him for 12 dollars a year.

adrienne
08-19-2005, 01:52 AM
Yeah, he's old and a role player...but Howard and Christie guarding the perimeter is pretty damn decent.

T Park
08-19-2005, 01:53 AM
Doug Christie is shot and got nothing left.

Dont get your hopes up Adrienne.

adrienne
08-19-2005, 01:56 AM
My hopes aren't up, I did acknowledge that he is old and a role player...that doesn't mean he can't contribute anything at all.