PDA

View Full Version : If Coach Pop changes his strategy in game 7...

03-04-2014, 01:42 PM
And tells Kawhi/Bobo not to let LeBron shoot, but force him to drive, would it have helped or hurt our chances? It was a close game even though he went, what? 5-10 from beyond the arc? If we would have stopped letting him shoot, and he goes like 2-5, that's 9 less points.

Now, I know it's not that simple, and if LeBron drived, he probably would have kicked out to his shooters, but I'd feel better about them shooting than a hot LeBron.

Discuss.

Mal
03-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Spurs werent going to win this game, after what had happen in game 6.

Spur|n|Austin
03-04-2014, 02:10 PM
http://meetville.com/images/quotes/Quotation-Scottie-Somers-living-love-past-dreams-friends-tomorrow-happiness-inspiration-Meetville-Quotes-71501.jpg

03-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Spurs werent going to win this game, after what had happen in game 6.That's what I thought going into game 7, but they played hard, and almost won. (If not for The Miss)

http://meetville.com/images/quotes/Quotation-Scottie-Somers-living-love-past-dreams-friends-tomorrow-happiness-inspiration-Meetville-Quotes-71501.jpg:depressed

Budkin
03-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Mistakes were made. We lost. Move on.

03-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Mistakes were made. We lost. Move on.Because I want to discuss game 7, it means I haven't moved on? If we won and I wanted to discuss game 7, it wouldn't be a problem would it?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Too many Spurs played poorly in Game 7. Was surprised it was as close as it was.

Battier murdered us.

Budkin
03-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Because I want to discuss game 7, it means I haven't moved on? If we won and I wanted to discuss game 7, it wouldn't be a problem would it?

I don't see the point. As others have said we lost the title after 6. If you must though we lost Game 7 because of Shane Battier, Spur killer.

philldafunk
03-04-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm still stuck on the Miller shoeless 3 ball. It was fate man

silverblk mystix
03-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Pop happened.

The rest is history.

03-04-2014, 04:25 PM
http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2013/06/19/01/22/TFZdo.St.56.jpeg Gary Neal

lol as soon as he shot it, I knew it was going in.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-04-2014, 04:26 PM
That half court shot by Chalmers at the end of the 3rd… we wouldn't have needed the Duncan lay-up if that didn't happen :cry

Ginobilly
03-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Game 6 felt like a WWE ppv event. I can't fathom what went inside Pops head the last 28 seconds left( I was screaming,"What the fuck are you doing, NO!). Did Stern force Pop to take out Duncan in the biggest game in Spurs history? I had a feeling that the owners of the NBA, ESPN/ABC, Jews did not want the Spurs to win! Why? They're making Lebron into the next Jordan, loosing would of destroyed any credibility of being this era's goat, as he would of been 1-3 in the finals. The NBA would of been dead according to casual fans. I know Barkley and Shaq were praying that Duncan would not get his 5 ring. Did anybody else noticed also when the Spurs were creaming the heat with their ball movement and 3 point shooting throughout the series, the refs would call a barrage of bs calls to get the Heat back into the game. Heat are starting to get the "Lakers treatment"(2000 to 2004). Lakers are down, then all of sudden Lakers come back from down 20 due bs ref calls (ie Bibby's head fouling Kirby's elbow:rolleyes). NBA does stupid shit like that so people keep on watching and not change the channel.

spurraider21
03-04-2014, 05:03 PM
this topic needed another thread

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
03-04-2014, 05:05 PM

well if Gary wouldn't have been on the OTHER SIDE OF THE COURT while the man he's guarding ( mike miller ) is spoting up waiting for a wide open 3 pointer ....
smh

Sybok
03-04-2014, 05:15 PM
And tells Kawhi/Bobo not to let LeBron shoot, but force him to drive, would it have helped or hurt our chances? It was a close game even though he went, what? 5-10 from beyond the arc? If we would have stopped letting him shoot, and he goes like 2-5, that's 9 less points.

Now, I know it's not that simple, and if LeBron drived, he probably would have kicked out to his shooters, but I'd feel better about them shooting than a hot LeBron.

Discuss.

No need to discuss realities alternate to this one, and in this one you lost.

weeks
03-04-2014, 06:14 PM
when i think of game seven, the only thing that comes to mind is the bunny and putback timmy missed in short succession. woulda tied.
heartbreaking.

BanditHiro
03-04-2014, 06:42 PM
the series was lost in game 6...if Pop subbed out Ginobili and kept the best player in franchise history off the bench for the last 2 defensive plays the Spurs win.

Budkin
03-04-2014, 06:43 PM
when i think of game seven, the only thing that comes to mind is the bunny and putback timmy missed in short succession. woulda tied.
heartbreaking.

There was so much time after that. We still would have lost. No way we win in 7 on their floor.

siraulo23
03-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Too many Spurs played poorly in Game 7. Was surprised it was as close as it was.

Battier murdered us.

Yeah, i still cant believe how they played lebron and dwade, treating em like rondo, so disrespectful in gm 7, lebron made em pay

Shattered when kawhi missed that 3, even more so when duncan missed that layup

weeks
03-04-2014, 06:55 PM
There was so much time after that. We still would have lost. No way we win in 7 on their floor.
not blaming timmy.

just saying that moment - and his reaction - were the only things that really stood out for me about 7.

crc21209
03-04-2014, 07:06 PM
It felt like the title was lost after Game 6. I still dont know how Game 7 was so close when alot of people played so horribly. And the strategy against LeBron doesnt mean a thing if Tim hits that game tying layup. If he makes that, things wouldve gotten very interesting....

jkid12456
03-04-2014, 07:08 PM
what if what if what if..? forget about game 6, what happens, happens, it's just fate

TE
03-04-2014, 07:08 PM
It felt like the title was lost after Game 6. I still dont know how Game 7 was so close when alot of people played so horribly. And the strategy against LeBron doesnt mean a thing if Tim hits that game tying layup. If he makes that, things wouldve gotten very interesting....
I thought the same going into game 7. Game 6 was just so devastating a loss that even a veteran team like the Spurs would've still been impacted a bit.

I thought the team lost the title in game 6 and I still hold that opinion. A team just couldn't get any closer than 28.2 seconds...

therealtruth
03-04-2014, 09:28 PM

Not really. It was just bad defense. Neal had a habit of doing that.

Kool Bob Love
03-04-2014, 09:31 PM
If pop doesn't sit Duncan with 28sec left in 6......let's just say I'm not "here" right now.

therealtruth
03-04-2014, 09:39 PM
I thought the same going into game 7. Game 6 was just so devastating a loss that even a veteran team like the Spurs would've still been impacted a bit.

I thought the team lost the title in game 6 and I still hold that opinion. A team just couldn't get any closer than 28.2 seconds...

Yep. It would have been better to have been blown out in game 6 than to lose in such a close manner. Pop would have been better off resting the big 3.

therealtruth
03-04-2014, 09:46 PM

Discuss.

It's not about just driving/shooting. It's about keeping the offensive player guessing so he never gets comfortable. The last thing you want to do is give a great player a steady diet of the same coverage.

therealtruth
03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Pop happened.

The rest is history.

Pretty much. If we could have grabbed any of the other 29 coaches in the nba to coach that last 28 seconds we win it.

tholdren
03-04-2014, 10:21 PM
I don't see the point. As others have said we lost the title after 6. If you must though we lost Game 7 because of Shane Battier, Spur killer.
we lost the series in 6 bc of pop, spur killer. chokes more than lebum

kjhip1
03-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Funny how people think on this board. I like the whole "if we would have done this" schtick. We lost get over it. Spoiled fans calling arguably the greatest coach ever (next to phill and red) a choke artist is comical and juvenile. Smh

03-04-2014, 11:49 PM
It's not about just driving/shooting. It's about keeping the offensive player guessing so he never gets comfortable. The last thing you want to do is give a great player a steady diet of the same coverage.
That's exactly what they did. They gave him the same coverage all game.

Pretty much. If we could have grabbed any of the other 29 coaches in the nba to coach that last 28 seconds we win it.
:lol no other coach in the league would have had us in a position to win with 28 seconds left, so your opinion is moot

Sean Cagney
03-05-2014, 12:03 AM
That's what I thought going into game 7, but they played hard, and almost won. (If not for The Miss)

:depressed

They played hard, but if Tim makes that something is telling me Lebron goes right down on the other end and hits a shot the way he was going! I never felt they were going to win that game even when they were down only two late. So many shots were just off that night and it never seemed it was fully going their way. They did play hard as hell though after that game 6 defeat! I thought they would get destroyed.

03-05-2014, 12:20 AM
They played hard, but if Tim makes that something is telling me Lebron goes right down on the other end and hits a shot the way he was going! That's actually exactly what happened if I remember correctly. He made an elbow jump shot over Kawhi to put them up 4, which iced the game ...iirc

SpurSpurSpurs
03-05-2014, 01:25 AM

Knew that we're going to lose the game the moment Miller hits this shot. It's a sign for an incoming storm! Fuck every bad shit that happened. This ignited the Heat to win the game.

JohnRambo
03-05-2014, 03:36 AM
Mistakes were made. We lost. Move on.

:tu

pgardn
03-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Funny how people think on this board. I like the whole "if we would have done this" schtick. We lost get over it. Spoiled fans calling arguably the greatest coach ever (next to phill and red) a choke artist is comical and juvenile. Smh

good read on pop from espn

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10559217/gregg-popovich-san-antonio-spurs-says-players-play-coach-court

This is why he wants certain types of players and why he has gone so much further in the NBA compared to His mentor Larry Brown.

z0sa
03-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Losing makes winning even better.

But there's no logic in saying "If we played the best player on the planet, and a GOAT candidate, better maybe things would have changed..." If we play him close, he drives past and rapes us at the rim and in the paint. Pop made the right call.

therealtruth
03-06-2014, 12:54 AM
good read on pop from espn

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10559217/gregg-popovich-san-antonio-spurs-says-players-play-coach-court

This is why he wants certain types of players and why he has gone so much further in the NBA compared to His mentor Larry Brown.

The reason is because he has TD. If Larry Brown had TD he would probably win more championships.

therealtruth
03-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Losing makes winning even better.

But there's no logic in saying "If we played the best player on the planet, and a GOAT candidate, better maybe things would have changed..." If we play him close, he drives past and rapes us at the rim and in the paint. Pop made the right call.

But there is logic in not giving that player the same defensive coverage each time.

03-06-2014, 02:55 AM
"If we played the best player on the planet, and a GOAT candidate, better maybe things would have changed..."
Lol just lol

Ibleedslvrnblk
03-06-2014, 12:28 PM

What? You questioning all these NBA coaches in here? I mean they know it all and they are the experts right? Oh wait, they are fans and have no clue....

Horse
03-06-2014, 01:41 PM
F miami

Horse
03-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Game 6 felt like a WWE ppv event. I can't fathom what went inside Pops head the last 28 seconds left( I was screaming,"What the fuck are you doing, NO!). Did Stern force Pop to take out Duncan in the biggest game in Spurs history? I had a feeling that the owners of the NBA, ESPN/ABC, Jews did not want the Spurs to win! Why? They're making Lebron into the next Jordan, loosing would of destroyed any credibility of being this era's goat, as he would of been 1-3 in the finals. The NBA would of been dead according to casual fans. I know Barkley and Shaq were praying that Duncan would not get his 5 ring. Did anybody else noticed also when the Spurs were creaming the heat with their ball movement and 3 point shooting throughout the series, the refs would call a barrage of bs calls to get the Heat back into the game. Heat are starting to get the "Lakers treatment"(2000 to 2004). Lakers are down, then all of sudden Lakers come back from down 20 due bs ref calls (ie Bibby's head fouling Kirby's elbow:rolleyes). NBA does stupid shit like that so people keep on watching and not change the channel.

Amen brother!

Amuseddaysleeper
03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
The single biggest problem I had with game 6 wasn't just missed rebounds but allowing the Heat to shoot so many OPEN 3's. When you're up with not a lot of time left the one thing you NEVER want to give up is the 3 ball. Let them get the easy two and then inbound the ball. I still can't get over it.

poeticism707
03-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Pop is is such a moron, should have just fouled the Heat, sent them to the line for two freebies, and it's game over, Spurs are champs.

But Pop tried to get cute, and just showed how much of a loser he is when Duncan isn't spoon feeding his career.

Baseline
03-06-2014, 05:24 PM
If pop doesn't sit Duncan with 28sec left in 6......let's just say I'm not "here" right now. Exactly. When is it ever a good decision to take Duncan out of a tight game? Much less a title-clinching sequence. It's truly unconscionable.

poeticism707
03-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Exactly. When is it ever a good decision to take Duncan out of a tight game? Much less a title-clinching sequence. It's truly unconscionable.

Irony: POP takes Duncan out to clinch games, series, titles, but he'll leave Turnobli's ass in forever, no matter how many assists he racks up for the other team!!!!!!!!!

therealtruth
03-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Exactly. When is it ever a good decision to take Duncan out of a tight game? Much less a title-clinching sequence. It's truly unconscionable.

I agree. You have to let the players decide the game.

dg7md
03-07-2014, 08:52 AM
The Heat made every single miracle shot they needed after that Ray Allen three in 6 — it carried over into game 7 when their roleplayers single-handedly caused us to lose. Battier was the biggest crippling part of it all, even with LeBron playing lights out.

silverblk mystix
03-07-2014, 10:07 AM
You get what you pay for.

Worship a coach and put him on a pedestal - you can be happy when the spurs are regular season champs til the cows come home.

When said coach chokes in the finals - you have to understand that you venerated an awesome regular season coach but a proven playoffs choker.

You get what you pay for - always.