PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Any chance OKC wins the title this year?

RsxPiimp
03-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Spurs are done, Clippers and Rockets are in it to lose it while the Heat looks like they wouldn't be able to sustain extend their championship run this year.

Indiana doesn't match-up well with OKC.

Could we actually witness the crowning of Durant winning an MVP, FMVP along with an NBA title in 2014?

Phillip
03-04-2014, 11:06 PM
What makes it so apparent that Miami is unable to extend their championship run this year?

kobe4life
03-04-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm going to say no because Durant is soft as fuck. This is a guy who calls himself the Servant that is equivalent to the time when David Robinson outed himself as softy when he said the little mermaid was his favorite movie. This guy doesn't have a killer instinct when the going gets tough he tends to melt and disappear. OKC will beat the Spurs if they encounter them but if they face the Clippers, Rockets I can see them getting upset.

HI-FI
03-04-2014, 11:10 PM
disagree about Spurs being done, they're still in 3rd gear at the moment.

OKC could win it this year, they'll get the most favorable officiating. Plus it looks like they'll get homefield advantage, so I expect a FT fest. I still think Westbrook could screw things up though.

RsxPiimp
03-04-2014, 11:12 PM
What makes it so apparent that Miami is unable to extend their championship run this year?

Fatigue
Possibly no HCA
Indiana, more experience, deeper roster

TIMMYtoZO
03-04-2014, 11:14 PM
:lol at the new version of the 08-09/ 09-10 Cavs winning the title.

elmanutres
03-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Thunder have no fucking chance against the heat. It will just be a 2012 repeat. At least the spurs made miami work for it.

Thread
03-04-2014, 11:19 PM
Thunder have no fucking chance against the heat. It will just be a 2012 repeat. At least the spurs made miami work for it.

"work" for it? You took it back out of the trophy case & handed it to 'em.

You're much too modest, Elm.

RsxPiimp
03-04-2014, 11:19 PM
I'll put my money on reason #1 alone. No team has made four straight trips to the Finals since the mid-1980s, when the Boston Celtics (1984-87) and the Lakers (1982-85) each accomplished the feat.

It's incredibly difficult then, and it has become much, much tougher in this era. Most teams just flamed out. See both Lakers dynasty in this era, or even the Spurs who never even defended a title.

If people think Lebron alone can rally this team to a 4th consecutive Finals appearance, much more win its third, they're delusional.

djohn2oo8
03-04-2014, 11:21 PM
I'll put my money on reason #1 alone. No team has made four straight trips to the Finals since the mid-1980s, when the Boston Celtics (1984-87) and the Lakers (1982-85) each accomplished the feat.

It's incredibly difficult then, and it has become much, much tougher in this era. Most teams just flamed out. See both Lakers dynasty in this era, or even the Spurs who never even defended a title.

If people think Lebron alone can rally this team to a 4th consecutive Finals appearance, much more win its third, they're delusional.
The East is incredibly weak, Indiana is overrated just as I stated before, so who is beating them in the East?

Phillip
Fatigue

:tu

Possibly no HCA

Incomplete. Although I would lean towards them getting HCA, considering they cruised through half a season, and still are just barely behind Indy for best record in the league, while Indy played their butts off the whole first half of the season, and since their hot start, have been looking like they are steadily declining.

:td

Indiana, more experience, deeper roster

Still less experience than Miami, I don't see them being any deeper really either. Their only advantage is Roy Hibbert. Miami's is basically everywhere else.

:td

1 for 3. Sorry, but your reasoning is not very good. Bring something better please.

Thread

It's incredibly difficult, and it has become tougher in this era. Most teams just flamed out.

If people think lebron alone can rally this team to a 4th consecutive Finals appearance, much more win its third, they're delusional.

He wouldn't be back-to-back if your coach wasn't likewise.

Thread
The East is incredibly weak, Indiana is overrated just as I stated before, so who is beating them in the East?

Your mother?

djohn2oo8
03-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Your mother?
You can go fuck yours some more. Tee, hee.

Clipper Nation
03-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Thanks for cursing the Thunderefs like you cursed the Knicks and Nyets :lol

ElNono
03-04-2014, 11:24 PM
I don't see it with Scotty Brooks coaching and Durant going servant all of a sudden... if those things change, they have a shot.

Kool Bob Love
03-04-2014, 11:25 PM
That James harden trade killed that team.

Pelicans78
03-04-2014, 11:29 PM
"work" for it? You took it back out of the trophy case & handed it to 'em.

You're much too modest, Elm.

That's pretty funny to be honest :lol

elmanutres
03-04-2014, 11:29 PM

Dude this era is MUCH weaker compared to back then. If anything, miami has an easy route of getting back in the finals. What's miami's only comepetition in the east? Pacers and........yep that's about it. Now of course, the pacers are a team capable of preventing the heat to go to the finals, but it's a better route than most teams had to go through back then when they faced 2 or more championship caliber teams and then face the best of the opposite conference. It is possible though the fatigue might get to them in the finals. But to say the heat have no chance in getting its third is stupid, heat have such an easy route.

StrengthAndHonor
03-04-2014, 11:35 PM

I think Indiana is better equipped to beat Miami this year. All signs point to them being better, though it looks like they hit the wall recently. We'll see what all their "camaraderie" and "chemistry" can provide when they face the Heat again. It seems like that's their biggest selling point :lol

As to the OP, very unlikely. Durant is balling, sure, but OKC is suffering a whole lot of key injuries late in the season. Westbrook is also a huge question mark as well as the bench which remains thin. I'd be surprised if they can even beat the Clippers.

Thread
03-04-2014, 11:37 PM
That's pretty funny to be honest :lol

Don't try charmin' me, 78. You've called me everything but an elderly white man living on a fixed income. Don't even start.

Clipper Nation
03-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Don't try charmin' me, 78. You've called me everything but an elderly white man living on a fixed income. Don't even start.

At home, Dale....Blake hitting the dagger, DJ making clutch free throws and Matt Barnes going HAM....tee, hee.

Thread
03-04-2014, 11:39 PM
At home, Dale....Blake hitting the dagger, DJ making clutch free throws and Matt Barnes going HAM....tee, hee.

Absolutely!

jimbo
03-04-2014, 11:40 PM

Indiana has a chance no matter how overrated they are. The only year the Heat really cruised to the Finals was in 2011. The tired old shitbag Celtics with a completely pathetic offense managed to push the Heat to 7 in 2012.

That was also with a hurt Bosh though.

Pelicans78
03-04-2014, 11:47 PM

I have no recollection of such details you're accusing me of. We've been relatively friendly throughout the years with the exception of that Committee stuff a couple years ago.

StrengthAndHonor
03-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Indiana has a chance no matter how overrated they are. The only year the Heat really cruised to the Finals was in 2011. The tired old shitbag Celtics with a completely pathetic offense managed to push the Heat to 7 in 2012.

I give credit where it's due. Miami won the series against Indiana last year fair and square, but despite being overmatched in talent and depth, the Pacers showed a great amount of resiliency and almost took the series. They are far better this year in both experience and roster. It's weird to say this but it's going to be a monumental task for Miami to beat the Pacers this year.

Rogue
03-05-2014, 12:54 AM
agree with my nigga kobe4life. Durant just doesn't have the leadership that the leader of a champion team is supposed to have. Durant would be a perfect #2 on a championship contender playing alongside a great player like Dirk or God, but you could never imagine a team led by the frog mutant winning the championship. Durant will win some rings but not before he moves out of Meth City tbh.

Thread
03-05-2014, 12:57 AM
I have no recollection of such details you're accusing me of. We've been relatively friendly throughout the years with the exception of that Committee stuff a couple years ago.

I may have mixed you up with your fellow Hornets fan, BR. Sorry, guy.

RsxPiimp
03-05-2014, 03:02 AM
agree with my nigga kobe4life. Durant just doesn't have the leadership that the leader of a champion team is supposed to have. Durant would be a perfect #2 on a championship contender playing alongside a great player like Dirk or God, but you could never imagine a team led by the frog mutant winning the championship. Durant will win some rings but not before he moves out of Meth City tbh.

What happened to you man?:lol

KaiRMD1
03-05-2014, 04:07 AM
There is always a chance that a team can win a championship, even all the teams you mentioned in the original post. But will OKC actually win it? No, probably not but there is a chance

benefactor
03-05-2014, 06:55 AM
I don't see it with Scotty Brooks coaching and Durant going servant all of a sudden... if those things change, they have a shot.
Truth bomb. Despite all their talent, they are not foundationally built to win a title.

AchillesHeel
03-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Well they have the 2nd best player in the game and they'll probably end up with the 2nd best record in the league, I see a dogfight against the Spurs in the WCF with the series going either way, but it doesn't matter because Lebron will destroy anyone coming out of the Western Conference.

Thebesteva
03-05-2014, 07:13 AM

OKC could win it this year, they'll get the most favorable officiating. Plus it looks like they'll get homefield advantage, so I expect a FT fest. I still think Westbrook could screw things up though.

Honestly, I respect the Spurs a lot. However, the main reason they made it to the finals last season is because miraculously the entire Western Conference became injured. Kobe was out making that 1st round a joke, yes Spurs would have won anyway but it would have been a difficult first round trust me on that.

Westbrook being out made it an easy WCF's. The Spurs were for real last season but a lot of it had to do with restoration walking into the finals healthy.

Rogue
03-05-2014, 08:11 AM
What happened to you man?:lol
My nigga kobe4life converted me to Koballah. My other nigga Shadowflames proselytized me to Johanssonism like a year ago and now I'm also a believer of Kobe who is God thanks to my nigga kobe4life. I'm a fan of both God and Goddess at the same time, and I feel double blessed tbh.

Phillip
03-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Dude this era is MUCH weaker compared to back then. If anything, miami has an easy route of getting back in the finals. What's miami's only comepetition in the east? Pacers and........yep that's about it. Now of course, the pacers are a team capable of preventing the heat to go to the finals, but it's a better route than most teams had to go through back then when they faced 2 or more championship caliber teams and then face the best of the opposite conference. It is possible though the fatigue might get to them in the finals. But to say the heat have no chance in getting its third is stupid, heat have such an easy route.

:lmao what team has ever had to go through 3 championship contending teams just to get to the finals??

teams RARELY even have to face 2 serious contenders to get to the finals. In fact, the last team to do it, was probably Miami, when they had to beat both the 61 win Bulls, and the defending EC champion Celtics to get to the finals in 2011.

But I just went through all the championships that both Boston and LA won in the 80s. 1st off, you forget that for a few years, higher seeded teams didn't even have to play in the quarterfinals. So that is one less series of basketball that had to be played, and in addition to that, for a while the first round was best 2 out of 3, then when all teams had to play in the Quarterfinals, it was still only best 3 of 5. So less total games needed to be played in general, saving a lot of wear and tear on them, as opposed to today's playoffs.

Through the early 80s, it was basically Boston, Philly, Milwaukee, and crap in the east. A couple times Philly played both Boston and Milwaukee on their runs, but generally, it was just one series any of them had to play against a true contender. And the Lakers? :lmao the West was basically like the modern day eastern conference. It pretty much sucked overall.

As the 80s went on, in the East again it was basically Boston and Detroit slugging it out (Chicago with MJ was NOT a serious contender yet, while Milwauke and Philly was on a heavy downslide), while in the West it was basically still LA and everyone else, occasionally with a team stepping up to give them a challenge for a year like Houston or Dallas.

Don't let your mind get clouded by revisionist history. The league back then was basically the same as it is now. One stronger conference with 2-3 serious contenders, and one weaker conference with 1-2 serious contenders. That is basically how the league has ALWAYS been at virtually any point. Almost never did anyone have to play 2 serious contenders to make it to the Finals. ONLY ONCE IN HISTORY did anyone play 3 serious championship contenders as you suggest, which was the 95 Rockets who had that crazy run where they somehow beat 3 teams with 59 wins or more to get back to the Finals. But it certainly never happened in the 80s.

Seventyniner
03-05-2014, 02:05 PM
I'd give the Thunder the 4th-best chance of winning it all, behind Miami, Indiana, and SA in that order. I would probably pick the Thunder over the Spurs if the Thunder have HCA, but the Spurs would have a better chance of actually winning the Finals.

If everyone is healthy and the Pacers keep the 1 seed, the Miami/Indiana ECF will be one for the ages.

SpurSwag
03-05-2014, 02:10 PM
It all comes down to Westbrook. His production has been solid since his knee injury, but it just isn't the same. He was destroying us in the playoffs by just jumping into a group of 2-3 defenders and drawing the foul. He may be more hesitant to do that given his knee issues now, and if he even lacks a little aggressiveness it badly hurts them. It is pretty underrated how much they thrive off of all the energetic plays he makes, and if he plays like he is fully capable of I have a very hard time seeing anyone other than Miami beating them, and that'd be tough for them.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-05-2014, 02:23 PM
However, the main reason they made it to the finals last season is because miraculously the entire Western Conference became injured.

Is this a joke? Who would have beaten the Spurs? Oh, the Thunder? Because they played so well as a team without Westbrook against Memphis...

timtonymanu
03-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Only if Miami fails to make the Finals which is highly unlikely.

StrengthAndHonor
04-12-2014, 11:31 AM
They are playing on another level now. After trashing the Clippers, I won't be surprised if they actually win it all this year. Their composure and confidence is just different.

i wouldn't mind seeing a Heat-OKC series again. Winning it will break the scale for Lebron.

Killakobe81
04-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Well they have the 2nd best player in the game and they'll probably end up with the 2nd best record in the league, I see a dogfight against the Spurs in the WCF with the series going either way, but it doesn't matter because Lebron will destroy anyone coming out of the Western Conference.

this. Doubt Lebron "destroys" either team. Spurs should of won last year. OKc probably wins two games and keep it close in at least two others.

jimbo
04-12-2014, 01:12 PM
this. Doubt Lebron "destroys" either team. Spurs should of won last year. OKc probably wins two games and keep it close in at least two others.

the Heat should have won in the first place

Spo letting Donald Green go off was the only difference tbqh

baseline bum
04-12-2014, 01:49 PM
My best guess:

Heat: 50% to win the title
Spurs: 25% to win the title
Sonics: 25% to win the title
Sterling: shining shoes with Jimmy

sook
04-12-2014, 01:51 PM
I think the spurs take them out

JohnnyMax
04-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Durant and Lebron are my two favorite players. It would suck deciding between them.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Durant and Lebron are my two favorite players. It would suck deciding between them.

Frontrunning Fagget

elmanutres
06-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Could we actually witness the crowning of Durant winning an MVP, FMVP along with an NBA title in 2014?

Nope

ambchang
08-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Spurs are done, Clippers and Rockets are in it to lose it while the Heat looks like they wouldn't be able to sustain extend their championship run this year.

Awesome take.

RsxPiimp
08-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Awesome take.

The Spurs got lucky. Admit it. Without 100% Ibaka, their spirits were broken and never recovered. Also, I was right with Houston and Clippers not advancing plus the Hear not being able to extend their championship.

ambchang
08-13-2014, 10:06 AM
The Spurs got lucky. Admit it. Without 100% Ibaka, their spirits were broken and never recovered. Also, I was right with Houston and Clippers not advancing plus the Hear not being able to extend their championship.

Followed by even more awesome takes.

Clipper Nation
08-13-2014, 10:13 AM
What happened to your Knicks and Nets, son? :lol

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
08-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Remember when Tony Parker went out in an elimination game in OKC and Ginobili ran the offense with a broken foot and still won? Did Ibaka play that game?

Faggot.

StrengthAndHonor
08-13-2014, 10:17 AM
What happened to your Knicks and Nets, son? :lol

UZER
08-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Remember when Tony Parker went out in an elimination game in OKC and Ginobili ran the offense with a broken foot and still won? Did Ibaka play that game?

Faggot.

:lol

spurraider21
08-13-2014, 11:53 AM
ibaka looked plenty healthy when flying around goaltending shots in game 6

TampaDude
08-13-2014, 01:19 PM
ibaka looked plenty healthy when flying around goaltending shots in game 6

:lol

Spurs 4 The Win
08-13-2014, 06:44 PM

FAGG:lolT

Spurs 4 The Win
08-13-2014, 07:54 PM

Quality take

unforeseen
08-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Shit take as usual. :lol

HI-FI
08-13-2014, 10:16 PM

damn nigr, respect :worthy:.

ElNono
08-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Hi-Fistradamus

mavsfan1000
08-14-2014, 12:07 AM
Not unless they make a blockbuster trade. Durant is just too soft to carry the team.

~O~
08-14-2014, 12:08 AM
No. That team is on a downward spiral.

DMC
08-14-2014, 12:59 AM
damn nigr, respect :worthy:.
game recognize game... oh wait...hmmm

Indazone
08-14-2014, 02:42 AM
The favorite to win it all is not OKC but has to be, as always, the team with Lebron James on it.

kobe4life
08-14-2014, 10:29 AM
The Servant doesn't have it in him to win a title as the best player on a team. He proved that to me when he choked in the 4th and OT of game 6 in the WCF. The Servant is going to be this generations Karl Malone. Just like Malone he will put up great numbers and just like Malone he will always choke in the clutch come playoff time.

Spurs 4 The Win
08-14-2014, 01:02 PM
The favorite to win it all is not OKC but has to be, as always, the team with Lebron James on it.

lol, it will never be the rockets :lol

cd021
08-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Probably not better than last season.

lost 3 veteran rotation players (Sef., Buttler and Fisher)

PG-Westbrook/Telfair
SG- Jackson/Lamb/ Morrow
SF-Durant/P. Jones /Roberson
PF-Ibaka/Collison/
C-Perkins/Adams/McGary

alot of young players on roster with minimal experience. Lamb, Jones, Roberson, & McGary.

if Jackson starts then the bench would look like;

Telfair-Lamb/Morrow-PJ III-Collision-Adams

based on roster talent I'd put them behind S.A., Dallas and LAC.

They will still probably finish first or second in the regular season.

spurraider21
08-15-2014, 01:11 AM
Probably not better than last season.

lost 3 veteran rotation players (Sef., Buttler and Fisher)

PG-Westbrook/Telfair
SG- Jackson/Lamb/ Morrow
SF-Durant/P. Jones /Roberson
PF-Ibaka/Collison/
C-Perkins/Adams/McGary

alot of young players on roster with minimal experience. Lamb, Jones, Roberson, & McGary.

if Jackson starts then the bench would look like;

Telfair-Lamb/Morrow-PJ III-Collision-Adams

based on roster talent I'd put them behind S.A., Dallas and LAC.

They will still probably finish first or second in the regular season.
they lost Butler, Sef, and Fisher, but none of those guys are really net positives for that team, at least against us in the playoffs, so i dont really see those as "losses." If Jeremy Lamb improves more and serge is at 100% they could be better. Morrow is better than Butler, at least for what OKC needs. guy is a filthy shooter, but thats really all he brings to the table

ElNono
08-15-2014, 01:16 AM
they lost Butler, Sef, and Fisher, but none of those guys are really net positives for that team, at least against us in the playoffs, so i dont really see those as "losses." If Jeremy Lamb improves more and serge is at 100% they could be better. Morrow is better than Butler, at least for what OKC needs. guy is a filthy shooter, but thats really all he brings to the table

Fisher couldn't stop making shots and making plays against us, tbh... Butler was big in the Grizzlies series... I think they're going to miss some of that vet leadership, especially in the playoffs, but we'll see...

I also think Perkins might be on his way out before the regular season is over... He's a $9m expiring, a good trade chip, especially if Adams keeps progressing...

spurraider21
08-15-2014, 01:21 AM
Fisher couldn't stop making shots and making plays against us, tbh... Butler was big in the Grizzlies series... I think they're going to miss some of that vet leadership, especially in the playoffs, but we'll see...

I also think Perkins might be on his way out before the regular season is over... He's a $9m expiring, a good trade chip, especially if Adams keeps progressing...
fish was hitting 3's, but overall he was 38% from the field in the WCF while being a defensive liability. morrow is better than butler at this point, and Perkins may or may not be of use based on the matchups. he's a pretty terrible player who can be useful in certain instances. with Adams getting better and drafting another big, Perkins is expendable, and you'd think they can get a solid pickup for an expiring deal that big.

wanggi
08-15-2014, 11:20 AM
As difficult as the Rockets enter the playoffs.

Agloco
08-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Spurs are done.......

That media-driven ship sailed about 7 years ago.

lolz Westbrick et al.

cd021
08-16-2014, 01:25 AM

of the Lamb, Morrow,Telfair trio only Lamb has ever played in the postseason (100 minutes over 11 games) those 3 are unproven on playoff teams.

Morrow can flat out shoot but isn't a good defender.

Fisher, Butler and Sef all had plenty of experience and while none of them played great (or even good for that matter doing the postseason) its a bit of a risk in replacing them with such a unproven players.

I could see Perkins coming off the bench by the end of the season, in favor of Adams. Perkins drags down their offense (O Rtg of 88 ) but boosts their defense( D Rtg of 104). He still is valuable against teams like Houston, Memphis and San Antonio with Howard, Z-Bo, and Duncan.

Ibaka at 100% certainly makes them much tougher to beat especially defensively. Its probable that OKC drops off defensively with as many as four new rotation players ,and Perkins taking on a smaller role, which could lower their ceiling. Also Sef. was the best perimeter defender on the team and its going to put more pressure on WB to defend opposing point guards (Parker, Paul, Lillard, Lawson, Curry) and still but up big numbers on offense.

They are still a predictable offense with plenty of isolation's sand 77% of their total offense spread between 4 players not to mention OKC problems with turnovers.

I also think that they are more vulnerable to injuries with weak depth, Durant logging heavy minutes (38.5 mpg) ,& Westbrook's style of play and knee issues.

Sean Cagney
08-16-2014, 01:29 AM
Spurs are done

Dumb dickhead........ As usual.

Faggot.

One of the worst posters on these forums, period. That dude has to be a troll or just flat out sucks with his takes 100% of the time.

RsxPiimp
08-16-2014, 01:27 PM
I love how all the no name spurs fans are now posting in this thread and No Lyfe Faggot has no right to call out anyone tbh:lol

spurraider21
08-16-2014, 03:29 PM
I love how all the no name spurs fans are now posting in this thread and No Lyfe Faggot has no right to call out anyone tbh:lol
I love how you called the spurs done and they proceeded to have the biggest margin of victory in nba finals history and literally dismantled the heat