PDA

View Full Version : So is patty mills locked for backup pg in playoffs?

jkid12456
03-05-2014, 01:45 AM
Seeing how patty has done quite well defensively, we dont really need cojos 'expertise' on defense as much.

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 01:59 AM
i think they'll both have a role, but there is no way Pop can ignore what Patty has been doing

td4mvp2k
03-05-2014, 02:01 AM
Seeing how patty has done quite well defensively, we dont really need cojos 'expertise' on defense as much.playoffs they will tbh

Splits
03-05-2014, 02:04 AM
Early rounds, yes. As we get into the later rounds Pop tightens the screws on the rotations and you find Turnobili running point when TP sits.

Although I did find it funny tonight. Tony was begging to get back into the game late in the 2nd quarter when he would normally return but Patty was so locked in Pop couldn't bench him. I think he finally put Parker in for Kawhi and ran Patty at the 2 guard.

Tuddy
03-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Backup SG. Ball will be in Ginobili's hands

downunder
03-05-2014, 03:41 AM
Spurs need Patty as the three greats will run out of petrol in the playoffs and will ne
ed the break in 2nd or 3rd quarters

playbonner15
03-05-2014, 03:58 AM
I do not really watch all the games. But there were times Pop put in Parker or Ginobili as the ball handlers then Mills as the SG. Looks like Pop still trusts Ginobili as the better ball handler than Mills. We all know Patty can shoot but Parker and Ginobili will be the playmakers. I'm just hoping Manu will reign it in and settle with the safe but sure plays :|

jkid12456
03-05-2014, 04:38 AM
im really excited with the playoffs with how patty's been turning out.

chazley
03-05-2014, 05:56 AM
His job in the playoffs will be get it to halfcourt then dish it to Manu standing near the halfcourt line. As silly as it sounds, if he can dribble it to halfcourt consistently without turning the ball over he will play. He won't get on the court without Manu or Tony out there because he can't create for others and the offense would stall horribly. That said, what Patty brings is something special. He is an enormously gifted jump shooter who can fill it up from anywhere on the court, and I doubt he's the kind to back away when this team needs a big shot in a big game.

ceds
03-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Patty is an absolute lock for the backup point position in the playoffs against every team we will potentially face except OKC.

The backup battle between Reggie Jackson vs Patty Mills is going to be huge and imo is the two best backups going at each other.

I just have this feeling that if Reggie gets it going like he has been Pop will stupidly go with Cojo for the defensive match up

Boomersgold
03-05-2014, 07:51 AM
His job in the playoffs will be get it to halfcourt then dish it to Manu standing near the halfcourt line. As silly as it sounds, if he can dribble it to halfcourt consistently without turning the ball over he will play. He won't get on the court without Manu or Tony out there because he can't create for others and the offense would stall horribly.H That said, what Patty brings is something special. He is an enormously gifted jump shooter who can fill it up from anywhere on the court, and I doubt he's the kind to back away when this team needs a big shot in a big game.

The Spurs won almost all of the games in February without Manu and Parker (with Mills at the helm). In fact, I feel that he plays better when he's in full control of the offense. The Spurs made their biggest run last night with Manu and Parker on the bench.

superbigtime
03-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Patty has been awesome, terrific and just about any other superlative I can think of. He's got balls and mojo and I never see him get down. His defense is relentless. I think he will be an integral component in the playoffs. Who knows though, Pop is the coach.

r0drig0lac
03-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Backup SG. Ball will be in Ginobili's handsthis

RD2191
03-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Mills is not a PG.

Spur|n|Austin
03-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Mills is not a PG.

The saltiness towards Patty shtick you've been running is starting to head south wouldn't ya say? Especially with the way he's been forcing the crow down your throat. Just saying..

RD2191
03-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Not really. The dude is not a PG. He is an undersized SG.

Spur|n|Austin
03-05-2014, 09:46 AM

Well that's just a fact yes, but people play other roles when they need to, and if it works - you can't really argue against it.

Boomersgold
03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Then I'd contend that Manu is an oversized PG. Is Manu a threat shooting from deep? Nope. Does he play the catch and shoot well? Nope. Does he have a score-first mentality? Nope.

In other words, Manu, being the oversized PG, and Mills, being the undersized SG, compliment each other perfectly. You can't really argue with that.

8FOR!3
03-05-2014, 10:34 AM
On paper the bench looks like:

PG Patty Mills
SG Marco Belinelli
SF Manu Ginobili
PF Jeff Ayres or Boris Diaw
C Boris Diaw or Matt Bonner/Aron Baynes?

Idk who pop views the 4th big as going into the playoffs. But Manu handles the ball as a point guard a lot of the time off the bench, Patty does every once in a while, as does Marco. Sometimes Diaw can do stuff with the ball as well. Patty Mills is usually in the shooting guard role offensively.

Tuddy
03-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Mills is good in this SG role. He can knock down the 3 as a spot up shooter, or 1 dribble pull up if they close out too hard. He can even finish with a floater. It's when he goes iso that he normally jacks up an off balance shot off the dribble or forces a shot in traffic.

Mikeanaro
03-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Then I'd contend that Manu is an oversized PG. Is Manu a threat shooting from deep? Nope. Does he play the catch and shoot well? Nope. Does he have a score-first mentality? Nope.

In other words, Manu, being the oversized PG, and Mills, being the undersized SG, compliment each other perfectly. You can't really argue with that.
Exactly, it doesnt matter what position Patty or Manu play because they are great players.

bklynspursfan
03-05-2014, 09:24 PM
I hope so. Joseph should not be used except in garbage time. (assuming everyone is healthy)

wtgspurs
03-05-2014, 09:24 PM
I think if Mills goes down with an injury...our bench is screwed, he's important to us

Budkin
03-05-2014, 10:43 PM
He's been pretty consistent lately but I don't think it's a given.

exstatic
03-05-2014, 10:50 PM
On paper the bench looks like:

PG Patty Mills
SG Marco Belinelli
SF Manu Ginobili
PF Jeff Ayres or Boris Diaw
C Boris Diaw or Matt Bonner/Aron Baynes?

Idk who pop views the 4th big as going into the playoffs. But Manu handles the ball as a point guard a lot of the time off the bench, Patty does every once in a while, as does Marco. Sometimes Diaw can do stuff with the ball as well. Patty Mills is usually in the shooting guard role offensively.

Barring foul trouble or weird matchups, there is no 4th big in the playoffs. There are 96 minutes between the 4 and 5, and they will be split between Duncan, Splitter, and Diaw.

itzsoweezee
03-05-2014, 11:25 PM
the 4th big is what's really going to kill the spurs. san antonio can't play with just a rotation of tiago, timmy, and boris. maybe if popovich just resorts to a bunch of small ball. i just don't see ayres, baynes, or bonner getting much playing time in the playoffs.

HarlemHeat37
03-05-2014, 11:31 PM
the 4th big is what's really going to kill the spurs. san antonio can't play with just a rotation of tiago, timmy, and boris. maybe if popovich just resorts to a bunch of small ball. i just don't see ayres, baynes, or bonner getting much playing time in the playoffs.

Leonard at the 4 resulted in dominant Spurs' lineups in the playoffs last year, tbh..most of the teams in the West playoffs use some form of smallball, as well..

As for Mills, he should absolutely be a lock for backup PG..he probably won't see consistent playing time every game in the playoffs, but many playoff games have been won by a hot stretch from outside by role player, and Patty certainly fits that role..

The 2008 Celtics, for example, had Eddie House(similar playing style to Mills, although Patty is the superior player) playing limited minutes in the first 3 rounds, until he exploded in the Finals and played a key role of around 20 MPG..

Hoops Czar
03-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Mills will be labeled back up PG but don't anyone kid themselves, Ginobili will be running the second unit.

8FOR!3
03-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Barring foul trouble or weird matchups, there is no 4th big in the playoffs. There are 96 minutes between the 4 and 5, and they will be split between Duncan, Splitter, and Diaw.

That would require Duncan/Splitter/Diaw all averaging 32 minutes a game. There's no way. Even if Kawhi plays some small ball PF, that leaves us a blind spot at the 3.

jkid12456
03-06-2014, 02:15 AM
i kinda trust mills to be a ball handler other than ginobili. yes ginobili is a better creative playmaker than patty, but that comes with a price of not being careful with the ball and turn it over. i'd rather go with the safe and go with mills.

superjames1992
03-06-2014, 02:39 AM
i kinda trust mills to be a ball handler other than ginobili. yes ginobili is a better creative playmaker than patty, but that comes with a price of not being careful with the ball and turn it over. i'd rather go with the safe and go with mills.
No. Patty's AST/TO rate is practically the same as Manu's...... And Patty doesn't create. He really plays an SG in this offense, tbh.

superbigtime
03-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Mills, Beli, and Manu all complement one another well. No true PG needed because they are all good ball handlers. Diaw blends in with any line up.

timtonymanu
05-25-2021, 09:23 AM
:depressed We had it so good this season.

Duncan/Splitter/BoBo
Nephew
Green/Manu
Parker/Mills

CoJo, Belinelli, Red Rocket, Baynes

Stacked from top to bottom.