PDA

View Full Version : Great Spurs segment on espn first take

spurs1990
03-05-2014, 02:05 PM
I realize a lot of ya'll can't take much of what airs on espn, but this is a pretty awesome segment on the Spurs today.

I get a big kick out of this national attention for the Spurs...it's usually on this show in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWYTWPeijJQ

I didn't see the poll they referred to but incredible if that's how many think the Spurs are on top.

Boomersgold
03-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Skip's a true Spurs fan. Quits on the Spurs when they're down by 13 points in the first quarter.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Skip's a true Spurs fan. Quits on the Spurs when they're down by 13 points in the first quarter.

I like Skip. He's the only ESPN fan who is a homer for SA. He's the only analyst that says the same things I would say about the SA haters, tbh..

rayray2k8
03-05-2014, 02:33 PM
As much praise and props the Spurs get, this voting chart means nothing. I kinda agree with Stephen A. Nobody cares about the Spurs until April and May.
I'm like that at the moment and I doubt I'm the only one like that. The way the finals ended, it left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and having to wait almost a year to get back to where they were is a real pain. But spring is almost here and warmer weather is on it's way and soon, playoff basketball will arrive.
Can't wait for another shot.

bklynspursfan
03-05-2014, 02:39 PM
I still think we can beat OKC. 2012 was closer than a lot of people remember. We go up 3-1 if Perk/Ibaka don't combine for 18/20. I know that stuff happens, but that game was very close.

heyheymymy
03-05-2014, 02:40 PM
can't stand SAS what a douche.

Duncan2177
03-05-2014, 03:58 PM
I still think we can beat OKC. 2012 was closer than a lot of people remember. We go up 3-1 if Perk/Ibaka don't combine for 18/20. I know that stuff happens, but that game was very close.

They also had Harden, I think he was the reason why OKC beat the Spurs. Without Harden I don't see OKC beating the Spurs in a seven game series. He was the spark for OKC. Without Harden I don't see them getting to the finals.

Juggity
03-05-2014, 04:02 PM
As much praise and props the Spurs get, this voting chart means nothing. I kinda agree with Stephen A. Nobody cares about the Spurs until April and May.
I'm like that at the moment and I doubt I'm the only one like that. The way the finals ended, it left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and having to wait almost a year to get back to where they were is a real pain. But spring is almost here and warmer weather is on it's way and soon, playoff basketball will arrive.

It's a shame if you're not caring about the spurs so far this season, given it could be TD's swan song or the prelude to next season's swan song. The regular season is fun, and the spurs are dominating again, as is TD, Manu, etc. It's been very enjoyable, and well worth watching.

capek
03-05-2014, 04:17 PM
I didn't see the poll they referred to but incredible if that's how many think the Spurs are on top.

To be fair to OKC, it looks like that was a twitter poll, and since you know that so many of those meth-head shitbag OKC fans have long since sold their cell phones to pay for more meth, it's understandable that OKC got such a low percentage of the vote. Just to be fair. ;)

SpursFan86
03-05-2014, 04:29 PM
They also had Harden, I think he was the reason why OKC beat the Spurs. Without Harden I don't see OKC beating the Spurs in a seven game series. He was the spark for OKC. Without Harden I don't see them getting to the finals.

While I agree losing Harden hurts them, Durant is a completely different monster now. He was great in 2012, but now, he's approaching an all-time great level. I don't think many people realize the type of season he's having. He's always been a great scorer, but his playmaking and defensive abilities have vastly improved as well. Ibaka has also improved.

I'm not saying we can't beat them...but it's going to be damn tough. If another team could manage to knock them off before getting to us, it'd make our road to the Finals much easier.

Spur|n|Austin
03-05-2014, 04:57 PM

:toast :tu

ace3g
03-05-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm just glad Beadle is back with SportsNation!!!

TheGoldStandard
03-05-2014, 05:25 PM
I'm just glad Beadle is back with SportsNation!!!

Yes!

rmt
03-05-2014, 05:52 PM
It's not Durant or Westbrooke who has killed the Spurs this year. It's Reggie Jackson - who gets to the basket at will. It's like the Red Sea parting for him. I don't mind getting beaten by superstars in their prime, but I can't abide losing to scrubs off the bench while KD sits back and doesn't have to do much. Seems to me like Parker can't get to the rim with Thabo on him and Ibaka coming over to intimidate. Ibaka looks like the second coming of Dirk especially on 3pt shots. Sometimes I just wish Westbrooke would start chucking. I'm hoping for:
1. OKC
2. Spurs
3. Portland
4. LAC
5. HOU
6. GSW
7. DAL
8. MEM

Maybe MEM or LAC can take out OKC. I'd like to avoid HOU and OKC. Everyone else, I think the Spurs can take. And hopefully, IND beats MIA.

Splits
03-05-2014, 05:58 PM
I realize a lot of ya'll can't take much of what airs on espn

They let Penderfag on that show?

tmtcsc
03-05-2014, 06:01 PM

:lol Nicely done.

bigfan
03-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Bayliss is an idiot and S. Smith is the highest order of smegma.

playbonner15
03-05-2014, 08:55 PM
I bet Skip is a member here on ST/ frequently reads ST then posts here and complain whenever the Spurs lose :lol

downunder
03-05-2014, 09:21 PM
We all love Spurs but lets face it - nothing matters before playoffs except getting the team to gel. Other teams have outside shooters but dont need to rely on them. Spurs does. Other teams have a fast break - this is a work in progress at Spurs. Duncan is smart and slows the game to suit himself conserving energy. but he is in the habit of inbounding the ball after the other team scores and literally walks to the offensive end , pretending to be a point guard when he should be in the paint. And why does no one in the team block out the opposition offense after they take a shot. Every kid is told the importance of blocking out but spurs forwards don't even try and give up far too many rebounds.

Johnsyounger
03-05-2014, 10:00 PM
I want the application for an ESPN NBA analyst. Interview should go something like this:
"Do you eat your own shit?"
"No."
"You're hired!"

justinandimcool
03-05-2014, 10:24 PM
GNSF Skip about to be disappointed again :lol

DesignatedT
03-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Even with Westbrook healthy I think the Spurs best OKC last year. Harden killed the Spurs in that 2012 series and people don't seem to remember that. Not sure what would happen this year yet but the Spurs were clearly the best team in the west last year.

SpurPadre
03-05-2014, 10:36 PM
What pissed me off most about us not making any trade or pick up of importance this past week was that OKC got Butler, which will prove some dividends in the playoffs and made a supremely difficult team to cover just a little bit harder to defend. I know Sefolosha is out for a while but he'll be back by season's end and he'll be itching at the chance to defend TP if/when the time comes. They scare me more than anybody else by far.

Spur|n|Austin
03-05-2014, 10:40 PM
We all love Spurs but lets face it - nothing matters before playoffs except getting the team to gel. Other teams have outside shooters but dont need to rely on them. Spurs does. Other teams have a fast break - this is a work in progress at Spurs. Duncan is smart and slows the game to suit himself conserving energy. but he is in the habit of inbounding the ball after the other team scores and literally walks to the offensive end , pretending to be a point guard when he should be in the paint. And why does no one in the team block out the opposition offense after they take a shot. Every kid is told the importance of blocking out but spurs forwards don't even try and give up far too many rebounds.

Two words: transition defense.

Spurs have never been an offensive rebounding juggernaut; getting back and set on defense is more important to the Spurs style of play.

DesignatedT
03-05-2014, 10:43 PM
What pissed me off most about us not making any trade or pick up of importance this past week was that OKC got Butler, which will prove some dividends in the playoffs and made a supremely difficult team to cover just a little bit harder to defend. I know Sefolosha is out for a while but he'll be back by season's end and he'll be itching at the chance to defend TP if/when the time comes. They scare me more than anybody else by far.

Caron butler sucks. Him getting extended minutes would be a good thing for the spurs.

SpurPadre
03-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Caron butler sucks. Him getting extended minutes would be a good thing for the spurs.

He won't get extended minutes, but he can hit the open shot and WILL get open looks on that loaded team. I'd rather have him getting open shots in the playoffs than Bonner. And oh yeah, we were among the teams trying to get him before OKC snagged him.

DesignatedT
03-05-2014, 11:01 PM
He won't get extended minutes, but he can hit the open shot and WILL get open looks on that loaded team. I'd rather have him getting open shots in the playoffs than Bonner. And oh yeah, we were among the teams trying to get him before OKC snagged him.

The spurs playoff rotation is set barring major injury and it doesn't include bonner. If Butler was willing to come here and take the limited role off the bench that the spurs offered (aka McGrady role) than I and the Spurs would have welcomed him. The spurs weren't going to promise minutes to a scrub though like OKC did. I hope he plays a bunch.

TheGoldStandard
03-05-2014, 11:39 PM
The spurs playoff rotation is set barring major injury and it doesn't include bonner. If Butler was willing to come here and take the limited role off the bench that the spurs offered (aka McGrady role) than I and the Spurs would have welcomed him. The spurs weren't going to promise minutes to a scrub though like OKC did. I hope he plays a bunch.

Ayres might get minutes which is concerning.

xmas1997
03-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Fascinating how things have come full full circle.
The Spurs seem to have become the nations' favorite underdog.
So much for flying under the weather.

Sean Cagney
03-06-2014, 12:02 AM

Whats sad is that seems to happen routinely against the Spurs, someone always seems to go off on them like that from OKC! Now we have an added guard that goes off on us in Reggie, he always lights us up too.

bklynspursfan
03-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Whats sad is that seems to happen routinely against the Spurs, someone always seems to go off on them like that from OKC! Now we have an added guard that goes off on us in Reggie, he always lights us up too.

Yea it sucks. We haven't really been healthy against them except our first game played against them this season (6 points loss) and even then it was early on for both teams. I feel like we could throw a Danny Green on Jackson or something like we did with Curry to help slow him down. I just think because we lost that one series against them many give us little to no shot. I think it's very possible to beat them, and Pop having learned from 2012 would make the necessary adjustments, like he did against the Grizz.

Horse
03-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Don't forget we're up 18 in the first half of game 6 before complete ref rape occurs.

lefty
03-06-2014, 10:55 PM
:cry ESPN says nice things about Spurs

:cry "great take"

TampaDude
03-07-2014, 12:34 AM
The Spurs don't always win the championship, but they are always in the hunt, and have won a higher % of their games than any other pro sports franchise over the past 15 years. They ARE a dynasty, no matter what the haters say. :hat

GO SPURS GO!!!!!