PDA

View Full Version : BS Report: George Gervin

Drom John
03-05-2014, 04:57 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/b-s-report-george-gervin/

Old School 44
03-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks for posting. For those who never had a chance to see him play, believe me when I tell you, there was no one like the Iceman!

purist
03-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks for posting. For those who never had a chance to see him play, believe me when I tell you, there was no one like the Iceman!

Numb nuts on here would probably want to trade ice for someone like David greenwood. Oh wait .....

HI-FI
03-05-2014, 09:00 PM
:tu

I read a recent interview with Gervin on Grantland and he's mentioned how he's never left SA. Funny how many people shit on the Spurs for not attracting free agents yet a lot of the players retire there.

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 09:03 PM
because players retiring there = attracting free agents?

HI-FI
03-05-2014, 09:07 PM
because players retiring there = attracting free agents?
smh....here we go.

They're not the same, but some (usually trolls) will say the city doesn't attract people, yet a lot of the guys retire there and Gervin loves it. So I don't think it's as unattractive as some claim. Definitely not top 5 though, but I'd say in the top 10.

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 09:08 PM
< Philo

HI-FI
03-05-2014, 09:09 PM
< Philo
:tu

xmas1997
03-05-2014, 09:46 PM
smh....here we go.

They're not the same, but some (usually trolls) will say the city doesn't attract people, yet a lot of the guys retire there and Gervin loves it. So I don't think it's as unattractive as some claim. Definitely not top 5 though, but I'd say in the top 10.

Definitely the trolls!

Juggity
03-05-2014, 10:32 PM
There should be a running count of the number of times he said "Man" and "you know" in that interview. Definitely at least 3 or 4 times per minute.

:lol gotta be honest, gervin is kind of a weird guy. Some good insights into the time, but I don't think Simmons was completely happy with how the interview went; lacking a lot of specifics (didn't have very many stories to tell, etc.). I guess Iceman was pretty heavy into coke at the time, though, so maybe he doesn't remember too much of that period.

In any case, glad he still in our corner as a spurs fan and ambassador for the organization.

PÒÓCH
03-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Great article, I met Iceman once and had a chance to ask a few questions. If I had an hour to talk to him I would've asked many of the same questions that yankee asked him.

Budkin
03-05-2014, 10:44 PM
I got to meet him at a Toros promotional event. He was one of the nicest guys ever.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-06-2014, 12:34 AM
lacking a lot of specifics (didn't have very many stories to tell, etc.). I guess Iceman was pretty heavy into coke at the time, though, so maybe he doesn't remember too much of that period.

I actually got the exact opposite feeling. I was shocked at some of the little insights he was giving (and I think Simmons was also), and how good his memory seems to be. Like when he's telling the story of the pick-up game and he remembered he was eating an orange, or the story of the lights going off vs the Bullets, or winning the scoring title in the last game (he even remembered how many points he had in the first half), and the stories of meeting Magic and Moses Malone.

Interview does kinda become uninteresting towards the end, though. (Possibly because Simmons loves to throw out weird questions about certain years or seasons, and Gervin didn't seem too interested in those)

Juggity
03-06-2014, 01:21 AM
Like when he's telling the story of the pick-up game and he remembered he was eating an orange, or the story of the lights going off vs the Bullets, or winning the scoring title in the last game (he even remembered how many points he had in the first half), and the stories of meeting Magic and Moses Malone.

Yeah that's true, I forgot about that. He also had that one about Swen Nater getting knocked around by some guy which was interesting. I guess I was thinking specifically about the question where simmons asked him if he had any stories about that photo he took with the other guys in LA and he kind of implied there were a bunch of interesting stories but he wasn't interesting in telling them.

I agree it got weaker toward the end when Gervin started piling on about how NBA players these days are doing things the wrong way, etc.

I also got the sense that maybe Gervin isn't totally sure about what he's saying most of the time. One minute, he seems offended that Simmons compares him to Kevin Durant, the next minute he says Kevin Durant is his favorite modern player and admits that his game is similar to Gervin's.

Also kind of funny how much disdain Gervin seems to have for the three point shot, calling it "the worst shot in basketball" etc, which is objectively not true (easily proven through analytics).

TheGoldStandard
03-06-2014, 01:24 AM
So much respect for his basketball skill, one of those guys who was just instant offense.

CitizenDwayne
03-06-2014, 01:32 AM
I also got the sense that maybe Gervin isn't totally sure about what he's saying most of the time. One minute, he seems offended that Simmons compares him to Kevin Durant, the next minute he says Kevin Durant is his favorite modern player and admits that his game is similar to Gervin's.

Yeah, I've always felt that about Gervin. Seems like a nice guy, just a little odd.

TheGoldStandard
03-06-2014, 01:41 AM
I think Gervin didn't want to seem like a jerk. He was initially upset at the comparison but then he probably thought, "be nice".

NickiRasgo
03-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Looking at his stats, didn't know he joined the Bulls and still had a decent stat with 16PPG but he retired after that season, does anyone know why he retired so early at age 33? And why he left the Spurs? Or was he traded?

Boomersgold
03-06-2014, 03:13 AM
Looking at his stats, didn't know he joined the Bulls and still had a decent stat with 16PPG but he retired after that season, does anyone know why he retired so early at age 33? And why he left the Spurs? Or was he traded?

Probably couldn't handle playing second fiddle to some youngster by the name of Jordan.

superbigtime
03-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Ice is one smooth dude. I also get the impression that he's got a little early dementia going on. Maybe he indulges in cannabis. That's fine w me. Agree w other poster above, he is good for SA and good for the Spurs. I am glad he stuck around in SA. Even if he does make pretty bad commercials, ha.

baseline bum
03-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Ice is one smooth dude. I also get the impression that he's got a little early dementia going on. Maybe he indulges in cannabis. That's fine w me. Agree w other poster above, he is good for SA and good for the Spurs. I am glad he stuck around in SA. Even if he does make pretty bad commercials, ha.

Ice pretty much sounds like he did in the 90s every time I meet him and talk to him. Really nice guy who appreciates his fans.

Brazil
03-06-2014, 09:04 AM
dat finger roll

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dD1_PkWeUWQ/UUMGtMWIXmI/AAAAAAAAL8E/_m5VF3-iZpI/s1600/parrals.jpg

superbigtime
03-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Ice pretty much sounds like he did in the 90s every time I meet him and talk to him. Really nice guy who appreciates his fans.

Nice. A colleague of mine has golfed with him twice, says what a nice fella he is. He definitely is appreciated by his fans in return. :toast

spurs1990
03-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Great interview. Really gave me some connection to the pre-David Robinson Spurs era which I severely lack.

I only wish they spoke on how he ended up in San Antone from Virginia.

rjv
03-06-2014, 01:05 PM
the jelly roll ! love it. ice will always be my favorite. there has never been a cooler spur.

lmbebo
03-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Probably couldn't handle playing second fiddle to some youngster by the name of Jordan.

He was traded. Can't remember for who, some big man. I think the spurs were trying to rebuild maybe? They may have had a change in ownership in around then as well.

I think he also had a lot of issues with cocaine.

wildbill2u
03-06-2014, 02:56 PM
One interesting fact about GG that came up in the interview was that his career shooting percentage was over 51%. According to Basketball-Reference.com, In the entire history of the NBA only three guards had a higher percentage---John Stockton, Magic, and Maurice Cheeks--and the differences between GG and those guys was only a few hundredths of a percentage point. Most of All the high percentage shooters are front court players for obvious reasons.

When you look him up as an individual, they show GG with a 'true shooting percentage of over 56%. (Not sure what that is)