PDA

View Full Version : NBA: List of active NBA players who could be the #1 option of a championship team

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm legitimately curious at to people's opinions on this. We all know these types of players don't come around often, but I'd imagine there's plenty of disagreement as to which current players qualify for this list and which don't.

We all know LeBron is that guy. A vast majority of us believe Kevin Durant should be that guy, but there is a question of whether or not he actually is their #1 guy with alphabrook around.

After LeBron and Durant, who do you guys see that fit into that criterion?

Dwight? Harden? George? Melo? Paul? Griffin? Davis? Love? just want to get different opinions/takes on this, since i've been hearing the expression thrown around a bit. I'm speaking active though, so guys like Pau no longer qualify, sadly :depressed

Discuss:

HemisfairArena
03-05-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm legitimately curious at to people's opinions on this. We all know these types of players don't come around often, but I'd imagine there's plenty of disagreement as to which current players qualify for this list and which don't.

We all know LeBron is that guy. A vast majority of us believe Kevin Durant should be that guy, but there is a question of whether or not he actually is their #1 guy with alphabrook around.

After LeBron and Durant, who do you guys see that fit into that criterion?

Dwight? Harden? George? Melo? Paul? Griffin? Davis? Love? just want to get different opinions/takes on this, since i've been hearing the expression thrown around a bit. I'm speaking active though, so guys like Pau no longer qualify, sadly :depressed

Discuss:

After LeBron and Durant? I tend to look long term and I would take Davis, Drummond, Cousins, or Lillard and not necessarily in that order.

RsxPiimp
03-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Melo and Paul when healthy.

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 10:12 PM
list for is fine. doesnt' need an order. i'm not asking for your top franchise guys. i'm just saying, which active players have the ability to be a #1 on a championship team either now or in the future

KobeOwnsDuncan
03-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Harden, Griffin, Davis.

HemisfairArena
03-05-2014, 10:17 PM
list for is fine. doesnt' need an order. i'm not asking for your top franchise guys. i'm just saying, which active players have the ability to be a #1 on a championship team either now or in the future
Then this is a stupid thread....probably 25 guys+ that have the "potential" to be #1 on a championship team.

Robz4000
03-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Just on offense or as the #1 guy in general?

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 10:19 PM
I'm more interested in seeing which players are excluded than included on people's lists

spurraider21
Just on offense or as the #1 guy in general?
#1 guy in general

DPG21920
Melo and Paul when healthy.

:lmao

Clipper Nation
03-05-2014, 10:20 PM
I don't see Harden as the #1 option on a title team until he starts to actually attempt defense and learns to produce on offense without being so dependent on foodstamps from the refs, tbh....

HemisfairArena
03-05-2014, 10:21 PM
I'm more interested in seeing which players are excluded than included on people's lists

So you want posters to write out all the players that have the potential to be #1 options on a championship team?

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 10:21 PM
I don't see Harden as the #1 option on a title team until he starts to actually attempt defense and learns to produce on offense without being so dependent on foodstamps from the refs, tbh....
so you are suggesting the rockets are incapable of winning a championship unless they have a player better than Harden join the team?

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 10:22 PM
So you want posters to write out all the players that have the potential to be #1 options on a championship team?
as many as you wish dear. if you want to make your list brief, you are welcome to. if it were my preference, keep it for the near future, as in the next handful of years

RsxPiimp
03-05-2014, 10:24 PM
:lmao

Melo could. It all depends what pieces you bring around him. 08-09 Nuggets were an in inbound pass away from beating the Lakers. That Denver team could definitely beat the Magic in the Finals.

Robz4000
03-05-2014, 10:24 PM
#1 guy in general

Currently: Lebron and Durant

Potential: Davis, George

That's about it tbh. Hopefully this next batch of talent in the upcoming years produces more true superstars.

HemisfairArena
03-05-2014, 10:25 PM
as many as you wish dear. if you want to make your list brief, you are welcome to. if it were my preference, keep it for the near future, as in the next handful of years

Naw...Im just laughing at you. Someone makes a post in here and you correct them about their view.....carry on, princess.

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Naw...Im just laughing at you. Someone makes a post in here and you correct them about their view.....carry on, princess.
didn't correct anybody on their views. i posed a question

HarlemHeat37
03-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Players that can be the best player/carry a team to a title: Lebron, Durant

Players that can win a title in a 1a/1b scenario: Harden, Howard(#2 option on offense, though), George, Paul, Griffin, Love(maybe), Parker(could be finished as a lead guy), Duncan(same as Howard), Curry

Players that can win a title as the 2nd best player on a team: Dirk, Bosh, Davis(will join the next tier soon), Melo(style of play), Westbrook(style of play), Aldridge(doesn't have the mentality), Dragic(if this season isn't an aberration)

FYI, I'd rank Melo, Davis and maybe Dirk in the top 10 overall players, but I don't think any of them are #1s on title teams at this point, especially based on style of play..

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Currently: Lebron and Durant

Potential: Davis, George

That's about it tbh. Hopefully this next batch of talent in the upcoming years produces more true superstars.
you completely ruling out the possibility of any team besides miami and okc winning a chip this year?

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 10:28 PM
HarlemHeat37 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=11597) my nigga. that was the response i was waiting for. i think the pool is deeper than people here give credit :tu

i'm think Davis can make that leap. problem is, a monty williams coached team will be dysfunctional

Robz4000
03-05-2014, 10:30 PM
you completely ruling out the possibility of any team besides miami and okc winning a chip this year?

There's no one player good enough to carry a team to a title outside those two. Spurs can do it with Tony leading the offense and Tim anchoring the D, while the Pacers can win on a balanced team effort.

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 10:31 PM
I think Davis could fit into that 1A-1B situation if he's paired with a scorer like a Harden type, or basically what cornerstone was supposed to be :lol

HarlemHeat37
03-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Davis will be fine in the future, he has Garnett potential, my list is based on current abilities/situations, tbh..

He's too inexperienced and weak right now, and we'll have to see if he can stay healthy for a long run, too(his durability has been poor, so far)..

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 10:37 PM
I also think the Hornets are misusing him horribly. He should be a 4 playing next to a rugged center, and Nerlens Noel theoretically could have been a good fit there in time. Instead they like to play Davis at the 5 where his stature is a huge disadvantage. Playing him at the 4 would also make him more disruptive defensively as he'd have more range out on the perimeter, rather than being confined to the paint because he has to have a body on the opposing center.

Clipper Nation
03-05-2014, 10:39 PM
I like Davis, but I don't see him ever winning it all in NOLA.... Demps went all in way too soon with a mediocre and flawed supporting cast, and Monty is a shit coach who somehow has job security :lol

DPG21920
03-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Melo could. It all depends what pieces you bring around him. 08-09 Nuggets were an in inbound pass away from beating the Lakers. That Denver team could definitely beat the Magic in the Finals.

Well by that logic, IMO, just about anyone can be a number one if you surround him with enough talent. I was assuming the question was asking, if you give a player the same teams Duncan won with (talent wise), who would be able to win it all.

RsxPiimp
03-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I mean obviously building a title team around Melo is harder but fact is, superstars are not entirely in charge of their own destiny, or their own narratives. For all of their otherworldly talents, they still need the right teammates and system to succeed.

Fwiw, never a fan of Melo.

spurraider21
03-05-2014, 10:59 PM
I'm assuming Melo is getting a max contract or somewhere near it. Given salary cap constraints, I think it would be nearly impossible to actually afford a supporting cast good enough to win it all with him as the #1 guy

RsxPiimp
03-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Wait, are we talking about hypothetical? Or is this a question geared towards each players realistic situation?

Also, George IMO is not a 1st option type of player. Too limited offensively at this point to be that guy. The gap between PG and Lebron, KD and Melo are far too wide offensively.

King Emmanuel
03-05-2014, 11:15 PM
what option would kobe be on a championship team right now

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2014, 11:16 PM
why is cp3 always mention

dude is overrated man

HI-FI
03-05-2014, 11:27 PM
why is cp3 always mention

dude is overrated man
he is, but there aren't a lot of superstars to go around.

tbh I don't mind it, I'd rather the NBA focus on teams and rivalries than pushing the newest MJ down our throats.

HarlemHeat37
03-06-2014, 12:00 AM
he is, but there aren't a lot of superstars to go around.

tbh I don't mind it, I'd rather the NBA focus on teams and rivalries than pushing the newest MJ down our throats.

Yep, it's amazing to me that so many old NBA fans dislike this era of basketball due to 3-point shooting, lack of handchecking, etc..

Today's NBA is more focused on team play than any other point since the 80s..the importance of the 3-point shot has encouraged team basketball and ball movement, along with promoting spacing and actual talent, rather than goons and dirty players that are only on the floor to commit hard fouls and cheap shots..

Phillip
03-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Players that can be the best player/carry a team to a title: Lebron, Durant

Players that can win a title in a 1a/1b scenario: Harden, Howard(#2 option on offense, though), George, Paul, Griffin, Love(maybe), Parker(could be finished as a lead guy), Duncan(same as Howard), Curry

Players that can win a title as the 2nd best player on a team: Dirk, Bosh, Davis(will join the next tier soon), Melo(style of play), Westbrook(style of play), Aldridge(doesn't have the mentality), Dragic(if this season isn't an aberration)

FYI, I'd rank Melo, Davis and maybe Dirk in the top 10 overall players, but I don't think any of them are #1s on title teams at this point, especially based on style of play..

This is a good list, except Love and Griffin are not 1a/1b guys. 2nd options would suit them best. :tu otherwise

Venti Quattro
03-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Nobody except LeBron and Durant, and even these two need solid performances from their #2's and #3's for them to cop a championship.

spurraider21
03-06-2014, 12:15 AM
i would pretty much agree with harlem's list but swap Dirk and Love. If Dirk actually was in a 1A 1B situation where he had a near equal teammate, that could be a championship core.

HI-FI
03-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Yep, it's amazing to me that so many old NBA fans dislike this era of basketball due to 3-point shooting, lack of handchecking, etc..

Today's NBA is more focused on team play than any other point since the 80s..the importance of the 3-point shot has encouraged team basketball and ball movement, along with promoting spacing and actual talent, rather than goons and dirty players that are only on the floor to commit hard fouls and cheap shots..
agree. hopefully the Silver era is headed more in this direction. I like great players, they elevate the game into something better. It's just when the league bends the rules to manufacture a superstar, or the media would focus on their chucking and not the winning plays, that's when I get bored.

Least with Spurs, there is a consistent structure and system in place, yet still plenty of room for guys like Diaw or Kawhi to do some soloing and showcase their talents.

CitizenDwayne
03-06-2014, 12:53 AM
Lebron
Durant
Speedy Claxton
Jannero Pargo

spurraider21
03-06-2014, 05:20 AM
I'd like to add Joakim Noah to the group of players that can win as the 2nd best player. He'd be an incredible fit with just about any player on that list of #1's or 1a's

Brazil
03-06-2014, 08:38 AM
I'd like to add Joakim Noah to the group of players that can win as the 2nd best player. He'd be an incredible fit with just about any player on that list of #1's or 1a's

Noah is playing good bb lately but as a 2 he would work only with Lebron imo.