PDA

View Full Version : nice cities in the United States to live in

Blake
03-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Someone brought up the notion the other day that it must suck to live in San Antonio.

Yes, there are things about SA that sucks for sure, but if I'm going to move, I'm going to need to research which city would be better to live in.

So I'm going to pick a city completely at random.......

How about......

Portland, OR?

It sounds line a nice town. I'm going to see what I can find out about it myself, but if anyone lives there and wants to fill me in on what they know about it, it would be appreciated. :tu

boutons_deux
03-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Someone brought up the notion the other day that it must suck to live in San Antonio.

Yes, there are things about SA that sucks for sure, but if I'm going to move, I'm going to need to research which city would be better to live in.

How about......

Portland, OR?

It sounds line a nice town. I'm going to see what I can find out about it myself, but if anyone lives there and wants to fill me in on what they know about it, it would be appreciated. :tu

http://www.bestplaces.net/climate/city/oregon/portland

Blake
03-06-2014, 11:07 AM
http://www.bestplaces.net/climate/city/oregon/portland

thanks.

Here's what someone on that site had to say (January 2014):

Would be appreciative if 1,000 more people would add to this thread about how horrible Portland is. People who are thinking of moving, or have recently moved, or contemplating moving, need that extra push to decide. Yes, people think Portland is expensive, uneducated, fake polite, boring, hate the rain, no one will make friends with them, taxrs too high, nothing to do, can't make a profitable living,, were duped by the hype to move here, have home marrow ice cream, be transported to the ozarks but it's really Portland, pushy small Christian business owners will try to convert you, Buddhists will try to convert you, takes 16 years to make a friend,, trains only drive a straight line-north to south and easy to west,ridiculous traffic, and let's not foreget....Portland is white, oh so very white. ( I always thought it was gray and gray blue....So in a nutshell, there you have it. Portland is the worst....the absolute WORST place to move because it will not meet your expectations and it definitely is not a "lovely" place to be spend hell in. Please, for the love of God and all that is organic DO NOT MOVE HERE.

Ouch. Surely it's not that bad, right?

DarrinS
03-06-2014, 11:44 AM
When I think about the Pacific Northwest, I just imagine it raining all the time -- yuck.

TeyshaBlue
03-06-2014, 11:54 AM
When I think about the Pacific Northwest, I just imagine it raining all the time -- yuck.

If I were moving up there I would definitely head to the Puget Sound area. Beautiful country.

elbamba
03-06-2014, 12:01 PM
I love San Antonio but I really enjoyed Raleigh North Carolina.

Blake
03-06-2014, 12:03 PM
North Carolina is gorgeous.

rascal
03-06-2014, 12:15 PM
New York City is the best. Has anything you want and the best city for the most best looking women in the country.

Blake
03-06-2014, 12:20 PM
New York City is the best. Has anything you want and the best city for the most best looking women in the country.

I want a quiet house with a yard to BBQ.

But you're right about the women. The night club I went to there once had absolutely nothing but 10s. Even the waitresses.

boutons_deux
03-06-2014, 12:31 PM
and NYC is famously UNFAT, male and female, unlike the rest of USA.

NASpurs
03-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Seattle for me, weather be damned. Been there twice and I grow to love it more and more.

rascal
03-06-2014, 12:47 PM
NY City also has a favorable female to male ratio for men.

vy65
03-06-2014, 02:16 PM
and NYC is famously UNFAT, male and female, unlike the rest of USA.

It's because everyone walks everywhere. But they all smoke, so I wouldn't consider them paragons of physical fitness.

vy65
03-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Charlotte has amazing women.

Can't beat NYC.

Seattle is pretty tight too

TeyshaBlue
03-06-2014, 02:47 PM
I want a quiet house with a yard to BBQ.

But you're right about the women. The night club I went to there once had absolutely nothing but 10s. Even the waitresses.

Yeah but they all sound like Snookie.:lol

Blake
03-06-2014, 02:48 PM

:lol

ElNono
03-06-2014, 02:57 PM
I lived in Portland, Oregon for a little over a year, and it's still the most beautiful city I've lived in (and I've been around). Yes, the long rain does suck but it also brings a lot of green.

Cities like San Antonio, New York, Paris, Sao Paulo, etc have their own attraction, but in different ways.

Blake
03-06-2014, 03:27 PM
I lived in Portland, Oregon for a little over a year, and it's still the most beautiful city I've lived in (and I've been around). Yes, the long rain does suck but it also brings a lot of green.

Cities like San Antonio, New York, Paris, Sao Paulo, etc have their own attraction, but in different ways.

yeah, it looks like a beautiful place, but it seems like I've read a lot of people complaining about how miserable they are there.

mrsmaalox
03-06-2014, 04:08 PM
If I didn't live here, it would probably be Augusta, Georgia. I love it there. Beautiful, clean, polite and very affordable. Perfect weather.

And I've lived in the Puget Sound area, my youngest was born in Tacoma, and the rain isn't that bad. Yes it's always wet, but a lot of it is the kind that San Antonio gets---mist. It rarely rains hard enough to stop you from doing whatever you want to do, I golfed comfortably in it all the time. Then there's the summer, the rain stops for a couple of months and it's sunny and warm and clear, just beautiful.

baseline bum
03-06-2014, 05:28 PM

Wow, I thought most Mexicans didn't head any farther north than Bakersfield after jumping the border fence.

Th'Pusher
03-06-2014, 09:03 PM

How about......

Portland, OR?

I don't like being right on the road so Im partial to flag lots. It'd be interesting to know if Portland has an abundance of houses situated on flag lots.

DUNCANownsKOBE
03-06-2014, 09:31 PM
I don't like being right on the road so Im partial to flag lots. It'd be interesting to know if Portland has an abundance of houses situated on flag lots.

Sounds like you should try to triangulate the price of flag lots in Portland.

rascal
03-07-2014, 08:55 AM

No they don't. Women come from all over the country and the world and settle in NY. Any type you want you can find there. The big city accents generally no where near as bad as the small rural towns. Texans can have a bad accent.

GoodOdor
03-07-2014, 10:10 AM

How long is the rain season? I had almost no rain growing up and now I live in CA, I would love to move to someplace where it rains often.....what's the housing like over there?

TeyshaBlue
03-07-2014, 10:31 AM
No they don't. Women come from all over the country and the world and settle in NY. Any type you want you can find there. The big city accents generally no where near as bad as the small rural towns. Texans can have a bad accent.

Rent or borrow a sense of humor. Thx.

baseline bum
03-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Did you find any up there son?

rascal
03-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Did you find any up there son?

No, I am in central CT. I don't hang out in NY but when I do go I always see lots of beautiful women. All around Central Park upper Manhattan- the ratio women to men favors men.