PDA

View Full Version : Season opener at home against nuggets ?

Bruno
08-05-2005, 07:48 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_3979662,00.html

Sources: Nuggets start with Spurs
Denver reportedly to play champions in season opener

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
August 5, 2005

George Karl's substitute won't exactly be able to ease into the job.

Sources said Thursday the Denver Nuggets will begin the season Nov. 1 on the road against the defending champion San Antonio Spurs. The game will be televised by TNT with NBA commissioner David Stern on hand to give the Spurs their championship rings.

The Nuggets won't have their coach against the team that knocked them out of the playoffs in last season's first round. Karl has been suspended for the first three games for watching a workout in May in Milwaukee that featured two players not yet draft eligible.

It has not been decided who will replace Karl on the bench. A leading candidate is assistant Scott Brooks, who took over late last season in a game after Karl was ejected and who coached Denver's summer-league team.

The NBA schedule will be released at 10 a.m. Monday on NBA TV, and once again the Nuggets are expected to have a number of national television appearances.

One could be their Dec. 15 TNT game in Cleveland, a matchup between Carmelo Anthony of the Nuggets and LeBron James of the Cavaliers.

Denver also opened with the Spurs the season after they won their previous NBA title. The Nuggets defeated San Antonio 80-72 at home to begin 2003-04.

KARL RECOVERING: Karl had a bit of a scare earlier this week but now is said to be doing well.

Karl underwent surgery July 28 in Salt Lake City after being diagnosed with prostate cancer. He was released from the hospital Sunday and flew to Boise, Idaho, where he has a home.

However, Bret Adams, Karl's attorney, said the NetJets private plane that carried Karl had an air- conditioning malfunction. He said that played a role in Karl becoming ill.

"It was 90 degrees in Salt Lake City," Adams said. "He vomited on the plane (before it took off)."

Adams said Karl returned to health in a few days. He said Steve Eiseman, a NetJets sales vice president who could not be reached, has "bent over backwards" to apologize and Karl will not be charged for the flight.

Adams said Karl will return to Salt Lake City on Tuesday to be examined. He said Karl could return to Denver late next week.

"It was a tough surgery, but he's on the right track," said Adams.

Adams said Karl has gotten numerous calls from top names in basketball. Well-wishers have included Charles Barkley, Larry Brown and Dean Smith.

ETC.: Before he makes a decision on rookie Ricky Sanchez, Nuggets general manager Kiki Vande-weghe wants to "get more information" on how the process will work on players sent to the NBA Development League. Players can be farmed out up to three times a season, but other details have not been finalized. Sanchez is a candidate for the NBADL or to play overseas, perhaps in Spain . . . Tony Dutt, who represents free- agent guard Derek Anderson, had not heard from the Nuggets by late Thursday afternoon about his client. Dutt said the Detroit Pistons, Los Angeles Lakers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Miami Heat are the top contenders for Anderson. Dutt also represents free-agent guard Nick Van Exel and said the former Nuggets player is drawing interest from the Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Spurs.

Ginofan
08-05-2005, 07:57 AM
I'll take the Nuggets...it's just too bad Manu won't get to shove his bling in GK's face.

KEDA
08-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Im there

to watch the banner drop!!!

TMTTRIO
08-05-2005, 08:11 AM
I'll take the Nuggets...it's just too bad Manu won't get to shove his bling in GK's face.
I was going to say the same thing so he can just rub it into Carmella instead :)

TDMVPDPOY
08-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Its funny how teh nuggets won one game and thought they had the series in the bag, now lets show off the bling bling

spurschick
08-05-2005, 09:37 AM
I want to see the banner and the rings... but I want them to win the game! I remember how sweet it was to kick the Lakers ass on their ring night home opener.

Marcus Bryant
08-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Welcome back to SA, Devin...:(

Sense
08-05-2005, 09:45 AM
I'll be there.......

Watching behind a television screen :(

But still happy :D

Tobias
08-05-2005, 09:53 AM
So now they can tackle Manu at the beginning of the season?
Me no like.

Sense
08-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Me no like.

I think they learned there's no way in stopping him, and I really doubt they are going to go hard at them again.

Media seemed to like it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
And George Karl will be there with a camcorder making a video for his son.

spurschick
08-05-2005, 09:59 AM
And George Karl will be there with a camcorder making a video for his son.

Actually, he won't be there. He was suspended for the first three games.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Actually, he won't be there. He was suspended for the first three games.

Oh that's right! I forgot he got busted watching some high school workout before some signing start date ro something like that, right? I think he did it on purpose so he wouldn't have to face the Spurs and their rather angry fans.

spurschick
08-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Oh that's right! I forgot he got busted watching some high school workout before some signing start date ro something like that, right? I think he did it on purpose so he wouldn't have to face the Spurs and their rather angry fans.

He can sit at home with his son now and they can watch Manu together. :lol

samikeyp
08-05-2005, 10:14 AM

Can't tackle what you can't catch! :)

The look on Carmelo's face when the Spurs get their rings: Priceless.

spurschick
08-05-2005, 10:18 AM
The look on Carmelo's face when the Spurs get their rings: Priceless.

I wouldn't think that anyone is going to be looking glum. The rest of the league has one goal... to kick our ass. Seeing the Spurs get their rings is only going to add fuel.

samikeyp
08-05-2005, 10:24 AM
You're probably right but still, it would be nice! :)

spurschick
08-05-2005, 10:27 AM
You're probably right but still, it would be nice! :)

It would be great! I just know how I personally felt when we beat the Lakers on their ring night and I'm sure that most players would find it a sweet victory to start the season off the same way.

Horry For 3!
08-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Damn, that would be great if George Karl was there. Oh well.

CaptainLate
08-05-2005, 02:17 PM
It would be great! I just know how I personally felt when we beat the Lakers on their ring night and I'm sure that most players would find it a sweet victory to start the season off the same way.

But these Nuggets aren't in the same league as those Spurs -- and these Spurs. I smell a 15+ victory on opening night to tell the rest of the league we're ready to defend.

spurschick
08-05-2005, 02:23 PM
But these Nuggets aren't in the same league as those Spurs -- and these Spurs. I smell a 15+ victory on opening night to tell the rest of the league we're ready to defend.

I'm with you - I see the Spurs reveling in their rings for a couple of minutes, but you know that Pop is going to have them ready to go and the players won't want to start the season on a sour note. I don't think the Nuggets can beat them, I'm just saying that they're going to be out for blood.

spursfor
08-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Spurs-108
Nougets-80
Honestly Denver is going to be this decade's Portland just look at the head cases(Melo, K-mart, Nene, Camby, Greg Fuckner) and the coach (GK) I'm just waiting for K-mart and Melo to get in an arguement or have Dre Miller get busted for dog fighting.

NugzFan
08-07-2005, 06:15 PM

hmmm that makes sense.

NugzFan
08-07-2005, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't think that anyone is going to be looking glum. The rest of the league has one goal... to kick our ass. Seeing the Spurs get their rings is only going to add fuel.

im glad at least one person here realized that. as if the nuggets want the spurs to lose anymore than any other team. we want to win the title like the other 29 teams. watching you guys get your rings can only help us this season - motivation.

granted itll be very difficult to win but not many better ways to start the season.

NugzFan
08-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Spurs-108
Nougets-80
Honestly Denver is going to be this decade's Portland just look at the head cases(Melo, K-mart, Nene, Camby, Greg Fuckner) and the coach (GK) I'm just waiting for K-mart and Melo to get in an arguement or have Dre Miller get busted for dog fighting.

headcases? you have no idea what you are talking about.

Banks91
08-07-2005, 06:30 PM
The 2 teams in recent history that people thought sooner or later would win a ring and havent, and dont have a chance at anymore are the kings and blazers. Both teams
, especially the kings looked like they could start themselves a little title run.

But the Nuggets arent at the point where u could say if they dont win soon they are a bust, cuz they arent in the same class as the kings and blazers when they had chances to win.

spursfor
08-07-2005, 06:34 PM
The 2 teams in recent history that people thought sooner or later would win a ring and havent, and dont have a chance at anymore are the kings and blazers. Both teams
, especially the kings looked like they could start themselves a little title run.

But the Nuggets arent at the point where u could say if they dont win soon they are a bust, cuz they arent in the same class as the kings and blazers when they had chances to win.
A lot of people thought they could make the WCF last year when they traded for K-Mart. And then they decided to tank until Coach Karl came but they'll always underachieve and in 4 years they'll break up the squad due to differences and well underachieving.

NugzFan
08-07-2005, 07:08 PM
A lot of people thought they could make the WCF last year when they traded for K-Mart. And then they decided to tank until Coach Karl came but they'll always underachieve and in 4 years they'll break up the squad due to differences and well underachieving.

a) we COULD have made it to the WCF if we didnt face you guys in the first round - basically the only team we had no chance of beating. could we have beaten the sonics in a 7 game series - it was possible.

b) always underacheive? based on what? if anything we OVERacheived last year. 32-8?

c) 4 years is a long time for any team...most teams are very different in 4 years. look at rosters from 2000-2001.

right now we have a very good team thats still young and just getting better.