PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Three Stacks aka (Andre 3000) as Jimi Hendrix...A First Look

The Gemini Method
03-06-2014, 06:32 PM
2QWxm89I5bo

Avante
03-07-2014, 12:04 AM
That guy totally nails it.

HrhsBYhfgEo

A buddy of mine went to that Monterey Pop Festival where Hendrix first became noticed. He couldn't stop talking about that skinny black guitar player...... Jimmy Hendricks.

Roy Clark to old country and western guitar master was on the Tonight Show, he picked a little country when somebody in the audience yelled..."can you play rock and roll"....probably a set up deal, anyway Roy smiles and takes off on some Voodoo Chile, Jimi would have been proud.

You take Jimi's Red House/Hey Joe and mix it in with....

Joe Cocker...Black Eyed Blues/Little Help From My Friends
Country Joe & The Fish...Crystal/Sweet Lorraine
Dr.John...Same Old, Same Old/Right Place, Wrong Time
Leon Russell...Tightrope/Out in the Woods
Janis Joplin....anything
The Doors....Backdoor Man/Cars Hiss By My Window
Van Morrison...Gloria/Please Don't Go**
The Animals...Monterey/Sky Pilot
Rolling Stones...Under My Thumb/Sweet Virginia
The Grateful Dead...,Easy Wind/Viola Lee Blues***
Steppenwolf...Pusher/Sookie Sookie

Nice little production there:hat

** Cover of an old 1935 Big Joe Williams classic
*** Cover of a 1930 Gus Cannon Jug Stompers tune (nowhere is Viola Lee mentioned, ha!)

Avante
03-07-2014, 02:58 AM
What a shame Robert Johnson never played an electric guitar. Check out those freaky fingers.

PWRtJz6dt9o

Before that above picture was found there was talk that there were two gutarists at his Texas recordings, Robert and a guy standing over his shoulder, nobody could explain how he played the cords he was playing. Then after seeing those fingers.............

But it was this guy who Hendrix talks about as his biggest influense. In his live performances he used a 300 foot cord so he could wander out in the audience playing, his stage act very flashy.

fj33EGMbazY

The Gemini Method
03-07-2014, 11:59 AM
I don't know--maybe Robert Johnson would've lost something if he played electric...he is without a doubt one of the best in the 20th century. I don't know...I'm not well-versed in things like that.

Avante
03-08-2014, 02:57 AM
I don't know--maybe Robert Johnson would've lost something if he played electric...he is without a doubt one of the best in the 20th century. I don't know...I'm not well-versed in things like that.

Usually it's the other way around, guys who started off on a electric guitar losing some flash when they pick up an acoustic guitar. Guitar wiz Freddy King talked about struggling trying to play acoustic. Going from acoustic to electric an easier shift. I think Johnson would have been right there with T-Bone Walker the first great electric guitarist.