PDA

View Full Version : Harris mulling Cavs offer and hoston's

ducks
09-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Cavs get Williams as backup at center

15-year NBA veteran signed to 1-year deal to help relieve Ilgauskas

By Brian Windhorst

Beacon Journal staff writer

They were the youngest team in the NBA at this time a year ago. Not anymore.

The Cavaliers signed 36-year-old free-agent center Scott Williams on Tuesday. He will begin his 15th NBA season when training camp starts next week at Capital University in Columbus.

General manager Jim Paxson has been searching for a veteran backup center since dealing Tony Battie for Drew Gooden in July. He first signed Jake Tsakalidis to an offer sheet, which was matched by the Memphis Grizzlies.

The team then explored signing veterans Sean Rooks and Keon Clark before making the offer to Williams, who promises he's got something left in the tank.

``I feel good, my body feels young and I've got live legs,'' Williams said. ``I know that I can still contribute at a high level.''

The Cavaliers aren't expecting to get starter-level minutes from Williams, but hope that he can combine with DeSagana Diop to efficiently back up Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

Besides Williams, the team has added Gooden, Robert Traylor and Anderson Varejao in the off-season to complete the frontcourt.

Williams averaged 4.6 points and 3.1 rebounds in 43 games with Dallas and Phoenix last season. But more important perhaps is his long history of contributing on playoff and championship teams. He won three rings with the Chicago Bulls and has been in the playoffs with Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Phoenix and Dallas.

``He bring us some experience and a positive attitude,'' Paxson said. ``He's going to show up to play every day, but he's also going to work with our young guys.''

Williams is believed to have signed a one-year contract worth about $1.6 million, which leaves the Cavaliers with $2.5 million left to spend on another free agent if they choose. The team is believed to have an offer for about that amount on the table for another veteran, guard Lucious Harris, and Harris is said to be considering it.

A possible issue is the length of the deal. Harris, recently cut by New Jersey, wants a two-year pact, and the Cavaliers are only offering one with partial guarantees on a second year. The Houston Rockets are believed to have also offered Harris a deal for about $1.6 million this season.``We've had constructive talks with Lucious,'' Paxson said. ``We're looking to see if we can do something that makes sense for us.''

Tommy Duncan
09-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Spurs could offer him a guaranteed deal for next season at $1.1 million with a player option for an additional season.

If Pop wants an additional shooter on the bench Harris wouldn't be a bad pickup.