PDA

View Full Version : Pop's Coaching Tree

honestfool84
03-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Really cool piece on Pop and Buford, as well as Duncan. (http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2014/03/07/20140306-gt-popovich-buford-coaching-tree.nba/index.html)

Crazy to see what an influence Pop has around the league.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiKrCDNCIAEw1GD.jpg:large

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2014/03/07/20140306-gt-popovich-buford-coaching-tree.nba/index.html

HI-FI
03-07-2014, 08:07 PM
curious what Phil Jackson's tree looks like....is it just a branch out to Brian Shaw?

spurraider21
03-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Pop's tree by and large sucks

exstatic
03-07-2014, 10:15 PM

Two coaches from the tree, Mike Brown and Avery Johnson (not pictured) have taken teams to the Finals, so your opinion on this sucks.

exstatic
03-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Doc doesn't really belong in the tree. He retired the year before Pop took over coaching, and never coached under him.

Dex
03-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Two coaches from the tree, Mike Brown and Avery Johnson (not pictured) have taken teams to the Finals, so your opinion on this sucks.

Presti also worked wonders in turning OKC from a cellar-dwelling expansion team to a Finals contender in short order.

Meanwhile, Coach Bud has Atlanta in the thick of the Eastern Conference playoff race this season, even if we all know they are pretenders.

Richie
03-07-2014, 10:24 PM
True, the picture doesn't even include Avery Johnson or PJ Carlesimo. Agreed about Doc, but Pop was GM when he was here

spurraider21
03-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Mike brown was and is a shitty coach. Him making the finals with Lebron doesn't change that :lol

Danny Ferry hasn't accomplished anything noteworthy as a Front office guy. Avery Johnson has been fired twice, Sam Presti drafted well but completely botched Perkins/Harden which will haunt OKC.

PJ can't stop getting fired and tried to make Durant a shooting guard. Only Doc has seen sustained success. Bud is on the right track though.

exstatic
03-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Mike brown was and is a shitty coach. Him making the finals with Lebron doesn't change that :lol

Danny Ferry hasn't accomplished anything noteworthy as a Front office guy. Avery Johnson has been fired twice, Sam Presti drafted well but completely botched Perkins/Harden which will haunt OKC.

PJ can't stop getting fired and tried to make Durant a shooting guard. Only Doc has seen sustained success. Bud is on the right track though.

Dude, HOF coaches get fired. Larry Brown has been fired. It's not a black mark on your record. One NFL pundit said there were only two kinds of coaches, those that have been fired and those will be.

Ferry got rid of Josh Smith, which is a GM HOF move, and they didn't miss a beat. Presti has a cheap owner to answer to. GMs don't always get to do as they please.

spurraider21
03-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Smith was a free agent... I'm not on some crusade here, but I'm just not impressed with the track record of most of these guys. Avery Johnson is not a great or even above average coach...

honestfool84
03-07-2014, 10:50 PM

Honestly, the fact alone that (as mentioned in the video) a quarter the league has ties to the Spurs speaks volumes, regardless if they're doing well or not.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... And all around the leave teams have been trying to imitate the Spurs' success for a long time now.

And I think this list only includes active coaches... Thus the reason Avery and P. J. aren't on there.

exstatic
03-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Smith was a free agent... I'm not on some crusade here, but I'm just not impressed with the track record of most of these guys. Avery Johnson is not a great or even above average coach...

How many GMs let a talented (head case) 28 YO free agents just walk? That's a balls move. He subtracted a 10 figure annual contract from the books and didn't miss a beat.

spurraider21
03-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Ferry was a failure in Cleveland too. Let's just call a spade a spade

I agree with honestfool.

baseline bum
03-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Dude, HOF coaches get fired. Larry Brown has been fired. It's not a black mark on your record. One NFL pundit said there were only two kinds of coaches, those that have been fired and those will be.

Ferry got rid of Josh Smith, which is a GM HOF move, and they didn't miss a beat. Presti has a cheap owner to answer to. GMs don't always get to do as they please.

Ferry never putting anyone decent around James will forever overshadow anything else he does in Atlanta. I'll forever love Ferry for that series saving performance against Phoenix in Game 2 when Robinson was out and Willis was suspended, but he gave James no other option but to leave with the crap supporting casts he put around him.

baseline bum
03-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Ferry was a failure in Cleveland too. Let's just call a spade a spade

I agree with honestfool.

Yup, Ferry's tenure in Cleveland was what the kids call Epic Fail. To just waste having a talent like James on your team is unforgivable. Reminds me the mid 90s here after the Spurs let Strickland walk.

spurraider21
03-07-2014, 11:11 PM
James is probably the easiest player ever to build around, so ferry got him mo Williams and Jamison :lol

baseline bum
03-07-2014, 11:20 PM
James is probably the easiest player ever to build around, so ferry got him mo Williams and Jamison :lol

Can't forget Larry Hughes, Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, and Shaq on his very last legs. I at least wanted to give him credit for Sideshow Bob, but I looked it up and Varejao was picked the year before Ferry took over.

baseline bum
03-07-2014, 11:27 PM

Fuck the MVPs, fuck the titles, I still think the most impressive thing LeBron ever did was take that horrible 2009 Cavs team to 66 wins. And 2009 was a strong year in the East, with Boston and Orlando having big seasons. Boston looked like they'd repeat until Garnett got hurt with a month left in the season.

Capt Bringdown
03-07-2014, 11:38 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos/2003-08-05-porter.jpg
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2013/0108/20130108__130109_Timberwolves_TerryPorter_300.jpg
Forgot about this turd.

KawhiLeonard
03-08-2014, 12:25 AM
what about PJ carlismo, Steve Kerr, Vinny Del Negro, Mike D'Antoni, Lance Blanks

spurraider21
03-08-2014, 12:55 AM
More success stories :lol

Ginobili3
03-08-2014, 04:29 AM
Stone-faced. Unwavering gaze. Wine in glass. Glass in hand. Perfect :toast