PDA

View Full Version : PC run amok

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-05-2005, 11:04 AM
ssociated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA banned the use of American Indian mascots by sports teams during its postseason tournaments, but will not prohibit them otherwise.

The NCAA's Executive Committee decided this week the organization did not have the authority to bar Indian mascots by individual schools, committee chairman Walter Harrison said Friday.

Nicknames or mascots deemed "hostile or abusive" would not be allowed by teams on their uniforms or other clothing beginning with any NCAA tournament after Feb. 1, said Harrison, the University of Hartford's president.

"What each institution decides to do is really its own business" outside NCAA championship events, he said.

Guidelines were not immediately available on which logos and nicknames would be considered "hostile or abusive."

The NCAA two years ago recommended that schools determine for themselves whether the Indian depictions were offensive.

Among the schools to change nicknames in recent years over such concerns were St. John's (from Redmen to Red Storm) and Marquette (from Warriors to Golden Eagles).

The NCAA plans to ban schools using Indian nicknames from hosting postseason events. Harrison said schools with such mascots that have already been selected as tournament sites would be asked to cover any offensive logos.

Such logos also would be prohibited at postseason games on cheerleader and band uniforms starting in 2008.

Warriors is offensive?

WTF?

Pretty soon everyone will have generic terms... San Antonio People, Golden State Things, etc.

Someone stop the madness, please.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 11:05 AM

I agree.

Signed,

An Atlanta Braves fan (seriously).

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-05-2005, 11:10 AM
What's next, colors?

Cleveland Browns, brown is derogatory to hispanics, asians.
Cincinnati Reds, reds refers to indians.

Where does it end? I hate this shit.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 11:12 AM
What's next, colors?

Cleveland Browns, brown is derogatory to hispanics

I never thought of it that way.

Fuck you, Cleveland. :lol

Kidding.

Wouldn't the Reds be more offensive to the communists, or people that still wear red socks?

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-05-2005, 11:14 AM
No more Notre Dame Fightin' Irish either, that could offend some of the non-Irish.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Or the peaceful Irish types :lol

Then you've got the Utah Jazz, that's offensive to people who don't like jazz. And what about the Miami Heat? That's offensive to people who like the cold. Let's just santize all the team nicknames and do away with them completely.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Or the peaceful Irish types :lol

Then you've got the Utah Jazz, that's offensive to people who don't like jazz. And what about the Miami Heat? That's offensive to people who like the cold. Let's just santize all the team nicknames and do away with them completely.

What about people in College Station who hate agriculture? Or people in San Marcos who afraid of bobcats? :lol

MannyIsGod
08-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah well, never stopped me from rooting for the Redskins.

Too bad theres never much to root for.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah, if the farmers got POed, A&M would have to change its nick :lol

I'm against animal cruelty, so I take offense to San Antonio being the "Spurs." Someone call Pop, time to change the name :lmao

SWC Bonfire
08-05-2005, 11:25 AM
What about people in College Station who hate agriculture? Or people in San Marcos who afraid of bobcats? :lol

Texas State could always change their name to the Armadillos. No one is afraid of an armadillo.

http://covers.dvd.img.compricer.com/0/75850.png

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah well, never stopped me from rooting for the Redskins.

Too bad theres never much to root for.

See, there's a joke in there about you being offended by the Chicago Chicle Vendors or something, but then you'd just come back with the Sacramento Soy Sauce or something.

:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Texas State could always change their name to the Armadillos. No one is afraid of an armadillo.

Only if I got to interview Kathy Ireland in the locker room.

On a similar note, did you know that we are the first school in Division I football to have a female score on us?

Katie Hnida, New Mexico State

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/recaps/2003/08/30/20306_recap.html

Fucking Manny Matsakis!

TheTruth
08-05-2005, 11:27 AM
As someone that is 1/4 cherokee indian, the term Redskin is something i dont think should be used as a mascot. I'm also 1/2 filipino and I wouldn't want them to be the Washington Chinks.

SWC Bonfire
08-05-2005, 11:28 AM
On a similar note, did you know that we are the first school in Division I football to have a female score on us?

Katie Hnida, New Mexico State

A bit of irony, I suppose.

cherylsteele
08-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Warriors is offensive?

WTF?

Pretty soon everyone will have generic terms... San Antonio People, Golden State Things, etc.

I hate people and all things...so those names are no good either:D

cmc$purs
08-05-2005, 03:08 PM
I was really hopeing for a computer gone bad story :lol

:pctoss :pctoss

Spam
08-05-2005, 08:09 PM
I've never understood how anything goes "amok".

Clandestino
08-06-2005, 09:47 AM
fucking liberals...

Clandestino
08-06-2005, 09:52 AM
i still remember the first time i heard a 7 yr old kid say, "wanna play cowboys and native americans?" i was like, omfg... wtf???

Trainwreck2100
08-06-2005, 10:07 AM
This could hit close to home, Spurs are used to jab horses and make them go those PETA jerks will be all over this.

Also, I always thought it was stupid to change the Washington team's name. What is wrong with Bullets, I mean yeah they kill people but you have to use a gun.

KewlKat00
08-06-2005, 06:08 PM
What's next: Are the arborists going after Stanford's tree mascot? (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/story?columnist=ratto_ray&id=2126159)

When I think "thought police," I think "NCAA." After all, if you can see to it that performers and customers can only drink from cups with the "NCAA" logo at an NCAA event, you've got some big hammer.

Thus, it was interesting to see the organization whose motto is, "You Pay To Do It Our Way" declaring that Indian mascots will be banned from NCAA events. It's a move that actually doesn't make the NCAA money, so you can imagine our surprise when the organization actually moved on it.

After all, whatever else you want to say about Bob Knight, he's onto something when he calls the NCAA a monopoly.

But here's the other interesting thing about the decision, a halfway measure designed to irritate everyone with an opinion on the matter: It opens up lots of other refreshing possibilities.

Starting with the inevitable PETA lawsuit, demanding the elimination of the Tigers, Bengals, Lions, Golden Lions, Nittany Lions, Wildcats, Cougars, Panthers, Golden Panthers, Bearcats, Bearkats, Bobcats, Leopards, Jaguars, Catamounts, Wolfpack, Wolf Pack, Seawolves, Lobos, Red Foxes, Terrapins, Huskies, Bulldogs, Runnin' Bulldogs, Great Danes, Terriers, Retrievers, Greyhounds, Razorbacks, Wolverines, Golden Gophers, Badgers, Buffaloes, Longhorns, Bulls, Thundering Herd, Bison, Bisons, Rams, Stags, Bruins, Bears, Black Bears, Golden Bears, Grizzlies, Golden Grizzlies, Mustangs, Broncs, Broncos, Blazers, Dragons, Gators, Mocs, Rattlers, Dolphins, Horned Frogs, Beavers, Jackrabbits, Kangaroos, Fighting Camels, Mastadons and Zips.

Or the Audubon Society, who would demand the end to Eagles, Purple Eagles, Golden Eagles, Golden Flashes, Cardinals, Bluejays, Hawks, Mountain Hawks, Fighting Hawks, Hawkeyes, Jayhawks, Skyhawks, Seahawks, Redhawks, Redbirds, Blackbirds, Thunderbirds, Owls, Ducks, Gamecocks, Falcons, Blue Hens, Phoenix, Peacocks, Roadrunners, Penguins and Chanticleers.

Or the insect freaks, who would target Hornets, Spiders and Anteaters

Or the church groups who want to get rid of the Demons, Demon Deacons, Blue Demons, Blue Devils, Sun Devils and Delta Devils. Or the anti-church groups, who would target the Demon Deacons, Saints, Crusaders and Friars.

Or the Weather Channel, aiming at the Hurricanes, Golden Hurricane, Cyclones, Green Wave, Crimson Tide (unless you want to go with the elephant motif) and Shockers.

Or Alcoholics Anonymous, aiming for the Boilermakers.

The point here, after those five wasted paragraphs, is that the NCAA, in an attempt to further sanitize its events from things that will neither make money nor keeps picketers away, has entered into a bizarre world in which it can bend the crueler reality -- that people get offended, sometimes with perfectly valid reasons, and corporations are particularly poor at dealing with those offenses.

Truth is, the NCAA hid behind "institutional control," the same thing that allows it the convenience of not thoroughly policing its members when it comes to academic performance, illegal inducements, performance-enhancing drugs and all the hard choices that the individual schools too often don't make on their own. The NCAA can look like it is doing something while doing essentially nothing, a task at which it is particularly skilled.

Either the NCAA finds Native American mascots to be offensive, abusive, etc., on their face, or it doesn't. If it does, then it asks for complaints from the Native Americans, from the above groups, plus the Greeks, the Irish, the armed services, the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Crayola people. If they can regulate mascots, they can regulate them all, in all circumstances, for whatever reason, right or wrong.

And if it does not find Native American mascots to be sufficiently offensive, abusive, etc., it has no business going down the road at all. There is no halfway stance here for public relations points, to get out of a legal squeeze, or anything else. You either stand up or you don't, because squatting doesn't work.

In the meantime, the NCAA will now return to its more traditional role -- trying to keep Bob Knight out of committee rooms, and Gatorade in only the correct cups.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Awesome, FSU gives the NCAA the finger...

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=17200

Fuck yeah!