PDA

View Full Version : TV (Nielsen) Ratings for the past 3 sets of TNT games (Feb 20, 2014 - March 6, 2014)

jARS mEsH sEt
03-08-2014, 05:15 PM
All games are on TNT
Numbers represent peak viewers (in 1000s). The Nielsen ratings are directly proportional but peak viewership makes more intuitive sense.

1) OKC/Heat (TNT 8 PM, Feb. 20) = 3836
2) Knicks/Heat (TNT 8 PM Feb 27) = 2722
3) Spurs/Heat (TNT 8 PM, March 6) = 2630
4) Rockets/Warriors (TNT 10 PM Feb 20) = 2039
5) Clippers/Lakers (TNT 10 PM March 6) = 1701 :lmao
6) Nets/Nuggets (TNT 10 PM Feb 27) = 1245

We're rank 3 on the list which is respectable but still concerning. There's clearly a lot of money to be made with an OKC/Heat finals rematch and a lot of money to be lost if the Spurs somehow make it out of the western conference again.

The nice thing about the top 3 ranks is that they are directly comparable because the Heat played in each game. I'm surprised the Knicks didn't draw a larger viewership (compared to the Spurs) with their supposed "big market."

jARS mEsH sEt
03-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Also it's perhaps not surprising that ranks 4, 5, and 6 all come from the 10 PM games. Even still, 1701 is pitiful for a clippers/lakers game. That kind of poor viewership is a testament to how far the Lakers have fallen :rollin

TE
03-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Someone hide these numbers from Silver. Fuck if we didn't already know the league is going to push for an OKC/Miami finals.

Big Empty
03-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Also it's perhaps not surprising that ranks 4, 5, and 6 all come from the 10 PM games. Even still, 1701 is pitiful for a clippers/lakers game. That kind of poor viewership is a testament to how far the Lakers have fallen :rollin
To the bandwaggoners

Ditty
03-08-2014, 05:42 PM
I honestly think america wants to see a heat vs spurs finals rematch again from what I've heard. That series would match any other finals ratings that the heat play in imo. Now if it's a Spurs vs Pacers finals that's a different story.

MeloHype
03-08-2014, 05:45 PM
The Rockets/Warriors game was very good tbh

Russ
03-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Someone hide these numbers from Silver. Fuck if we didn't already know the league is going to push for an OKC/Miami finals.

Silver should realize that it's not just the rating for each game, but how many games are played.

With OKC-Miami, that would be four.:D

jARS mEsH sEt
03-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Silver should realize that it's not just the rating for each game, but how many games are played.

With OKC-Miami, that would be four.:D

Good point.

And game 7s always bring in big bucks so the Spurs ended up being a cash cow for the league last season for that reason.

crc21209
03-08-2014, 07:10 PM
I honestly think america wants to see a heat vs spurs finals rematch again from what I've heard. That series would match any other finals ratings that the heat play in imo. Now if it's a Spurs vs Pacers finals that's a different story.

This. We already saw what happened when OKC met Miami in the Finals. It was a quick 5 game series. The Heat were dominant at points throughout the series. Last years Spurs-Heat Finals matchup was one of the best in a long time....

ChumpDumper
03-08-2014, 07:23 PM
We're rank 3 on the list which is respectable but still concerning. There's clearly a lot of money to be made with an OKC/Heat finals rematch and a lot of money to be lost if the Spurs somehow make it out of the western conference again.TV money is paid to the league up front.

heyheymymy
03-08-2014, 08:46 PM
gotta follow the story line if you're the nba. rematch is all the hype and everyone already knows what would happen in a okc mia finals. but with how last years finals went, no one knows how a rematch might swing and wont wanna miss it.

were locked in brahs /blufont

KaiRMD1
03-08-2014, 09:44 PM
For basketball purists, it's in the league's best interest for a Spurs v. Heat finals rematch. Who knows how well the ratings will be but from people I've spoken too, they all felt the finals from last year was one of the best. An OKC v. Heat finals is liable to be a 4 game sweep unles the league pulls the same BS they pulled in 2010 and force 7 games.

Skull-1
03-08-2014, 10:18 PM
People are watching the Heat, not us.

cjw
03-08-2014, 10:52 PM
This. We already saw what happened when OKC met Miami in the Finals. It was a quick 5 game series. The Heat were dominant at points throughout the series. Last years Spurs-Heat Finals matchup was one of the best in a long time....

Not to mention that 2012 was WITH Harden (granted, he had an awful series)

poeticism707
03-08-2014, 11:03 PM

Just see the 2012 playoffs, when the Thunder "beat" the Spurs, got call after call, to "win" four in a row.

It was so blatantly obvious, there was maybe a 1000 comments on a related article on ESPN, FULL OF NON SPUR FANS, complaining about how the Spurs got shafted, but that it was great basketball.

Per par in the Duncan era.

If Stern/Silver/The Illuminati want the Spurs to lose, then lose they shall.

Only the naive think otherwise.

Kidd K
03-08-2014, 11:23 PM
I actually don't think a Spurs/Heat finals would "lose money". The only "loss" is that it isn't the peak monetary matchup. You have to compare Spurs/Heat revenue to an AVERAGE finals. . .not the best possible money-making Finals to claim it'd "lose money".

freetiago
03-08-2014, 11:24 PM
The Heat/Thunder rematch was getting a lot of hype at that time because Durant was going insane with Westbrook out
and everyone was saying he was a better player/MVP
also a lot of talk of them going 1v1 during the All-Star game and all that

dbreiden83080
03-09-2014, 12:08 AM
If you think the league is fixed why the hell are you watching the games and getting emotionally invested? You watch because you hope your team is good enough to win. You don't think about a league fix being in and that's why your team lost. There's zero point in watching at all with that mindset .

dbreiden83080
03-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Just see the 2012 playoffs, when the Thunder "beat" the Spurs, got call after call, to "win" four in a row.

It was so blatantly obvious, there was maybe a 1000 comments on a related article on ESPN, FULL OF NON SPUR FANS, complaining about how the Spurs got shafted, but that it was great basketball.

Per par in the Duncan era.

If Stern/Silver/The Illuminati want the Spurs to lose, then lose they shall.

Only the naive think otherwise.

So the league wanted the spurs to win 4 titles. Where was the fix with the Knicks in 99? You think they wanted spurs and nets in 03?

jARS mEsH sEt
03-09-2014, 01:57 AM
So the league wanted the spurs to win 4 titles. Where was the fix with the Knicks in 99? You think they wanted spurs and nets in 03?

You can't completely fix games. You can only strongly influence the outcome by exploiting ambiguous calls (charge/block call, awarding superstar "touch" fouls to certain players in critical moments of the gamer, etc.).

CitizenDwayne
03-09-2014, 02:15 AM

Agreed. America loves a good rivalry, and after last year's Finals, there would be an intriguing storyline if there were to be a rematch.

Kidd K
03-09-2014, 03:54 AM
You can't completely fix games. You can only strongly influence the outcome by exploiting ambiguous calls (charge/block call, awarding superstar "touch" fouls to certain players in critical moments of the gamer, etc.).

And by allowing nearly a dozen goaltends over 2 games by the same player

poeticism707
03-09-2014, 09:35 AM

What are you, three years old? The refs more or less referee just fine 82 games of the regular season, but during the playoffs, all of sudden, the Spurs, the most disciplined team in basketball, are hack machines that can't defend their way out of a paper bag? Give up 100s of free throw on the softest non contact, not just once, or even ten times, but hundreds of times, just enough to lose a series?

Need a obvious, non Spur example? See the 2006 Heat, when D Whistle got over a 100 free throws if any one breathed on him, or even looked in his direction. One way or the other, the Mavs weren't winning that series.

Grow up, man. People used to think wrestling was real too. We see how that turned out.

NBA basketball, unlike wrestling, is real. But controlled when they want to. IE, the playoffs when it counts.

And for your info, the Spurs are so good and talented on both ends of the floor, they don't need a fix. Just fair officiating.

What's more, the Spurs have have lost legitimately in the Post season, and through biased calls. Since 2011, when the Spurs have become more an offensive powerhouse, the fix jobs have been more blatant.

And I watch still, because I am a fan of TD and Spurs basketball.

superbigtime
03-09-2014, 09:41 AM
It's kind of surprising to see a Finals rematch only getting 3rd place. Maybe folks are too busy celebrating Mardi Gras!

ChumpDumper
03-09-2014, 10:38 AM
What are you, three years old? The refs more or less referee just fine 82 games of the regular season, but during the playoffs, all of sudden, the Spurs, the most disciplined team in basketball, are hack machines that can't defend their way out of a paper bag? Give up 100s of free throw on the softest non contact, not just once, or even ten times, but hundreds of times, just enough to lose a series?

Need a obvious, non Spur example? See the 2006 Heat, when D Whistle got over a 100 free throws if any one breathed on him, or even looked in his direction. One way or the other, the Mavs weren't winning that series.

Grow up, man. People used to think wrestling was real too. We see how that turned out.

NBA basketball, unlike wrestling, is real. But controlled when they want to. IE, the playoffs when it counts.

And for your info, the Spurs are so good and talented on both ends of the floor, they don't need a fix. Just fair officiating.

What's more, the Spurs have have lost legitimately in the Post season, and through biased calls. Since 2011, when the Spurs have become more an offensive powerhouse, the fix jobs have been more blatant.

And I watch still, because I am a fan of TD and Spurs basketball.It's a conspiracy when I say it's a conspiracy!

dbreiden83080
03-09-2014, 06:00 PM
What are you, three years old?

Old enough to not blame referees for teams losing a championship and also old enough to know if you think that is a major factor you are an immature jackass to be watching in the first place..

The refs more or less referee just fine 82 games of the regular season, but during the playoffs, all of sudden, the Spurs, the most disciplined team in basketball, are hack machines that can't defend their way out of a paper bag? Give up 100s of free throw on the softest non contact, not just once, or even ten times, but hundreds of times, just enough to lose a series?

Yet they managed to win 4 titles and were 28 seconds away from a 5th last year in spite of all this obvious rigging the league is doing to ensure they don't win..

Yes Mark Cuban already covered all the necessary whining that was needed about that series and his team still managed to win a ring against the Heat with both Wade and now Lebron on the team.. Interesting that series wasn't rigged..

Hulk Hogan was my favorite..

And I watch still, because I am a fan of TD and Spurs basketball.

Good so enjoy this last run and don't get hot and bothered about things that are out of your control especially since most of them are probably imagined and way overblown..

poeticism707
03-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Old enough to not blame referees for teams losing a championship and also old enough to know if you think that is a major factor you are an immature jackass to be watching in the first place..

Yet they managed to win 4 titles and were 28 seconds away from a 5th last year in spite of all this obvious rigging the league is doing to ensure they don't win..

Yes Mark Cuban already covered all the necessary whining that was needed about that series and his team still managed to win a ring against the Heat with both Wade and now Lebron on the team.. Interesting that series wasn't rigged..

Hulk Hogan was my favorite..

Good so enjoy this last run and don't get hot and bothered about things that are out of your control especially since most of them are probably imagined and way overblown..

Good one. Have fun with Santa, Billy. Then wash up and go to bed.

Us men have to chat about how things really are.