PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly's son, Hunter, dies

Horry For 3!
08-05-2005, 12:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-obit-hunterkelly&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jim Kelly's son, Hunter, dies

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
August 5, 2005
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- Hunter Kelly, whose battle with a fatal nervous system disease inspired his Hall of Fame father Jim Kelly's charitable works, died Friday morning. He was 8.

``Our prayers go to the family and kids,'' Jim Kelly's brother, Dan, told The Associated Press.

Born in 1997, Hunter Kelly was given no more than three years to live after being diagnosed with Krabbe Disease, an inherited degenerative disorder of the central and peripheral nervous systems. The disease hinders development of the myelin sheath, a fatty covering that protects the brain's nerve fibers.

In honor of their son, Jim Kelly and his wife, Jill, established the Hunter's Hope Foundation in 1997, which has raised more than $6 million and awarded more than $3.8 million to leukodystrophy and other neurological disease-related research.

The disease has no known cure.

Jim Kelly, who won an unprecedented four straight AFC titles as the Bills' quarterback in the early 1990s, had credited his son for serving as his inspiration after he retired from football following the 1996 season.

``He'll never be able to do what daddy did,'' Kelly said last year. ``But he's going to do greater things. He's going to make a difference in kids' lives. He already has.''

Kelly and his son happened to share the same birthday, Valentine's Day.

The Kelly family was preparing to issue a press release later in the day, Dan Kelly said.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I heard Jim Kelly on Jim Rome a few weeks (month or two?) ago and he even said that his son wasn't doing so hot.

RIP.

samikeyp
08-05-2005, 12:55 PM
oh man that is sad. Jim Kelly was a tough guy but he was so gentle with his son. It breaks my heart hearing about this although for me, it is tempered by the fact that the child is no longer suffering. Still, I imagine that is no comfort for the family.

SWC Bonfire
08-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Sad story. Jim Kelly was one of my favorites, I wish his family well.

TheTruth
08-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Very sad. RIP

Horry For 3!
08-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Yeah that sucks and is sad but he will move on from it.

2pac
08-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Born in 1997, Hunter Kelly was given no more than three years to live after being diagnosed with Krabbe Disease

had credited his son for serving as his inspiration after he retired from football following the 1996 season.

hendrix
08-05-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm a Bills fan, mainly because of him, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed. And... Bruce Smith and ....
But I use #12

Taco
08-05-2005, 03:34 PM
:(

samikeyp
08-05-2005, 03:46 PM
I met Jim Kelly once at Gunslingers (yes folks...Gunslingers) football camp in 1984. One of the nicest guys you would ever meet.

Horry For 3!
08-05-2005, 05:57 PM
This lady on ESPN was talking about Jim Kelly and Hunter and that his foundation was sucessful. She was about to start crying.

Dre_7
08-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Man my prayers go out to the family. Cant image what they are going through right now. Wow.