PDA

View Full Version : Which team outside of OKC would you most like to avoid in the playoffs?

SpursFan86
03-10-2014, 12:52 AM
Fairly certain the consensus toughest matchup for us in the playoffs is OKC...but outside of them, which team would you least want to play? Which team is the worst matchup for us? Rockets? Clippers? Blazers? Someone else?

PÒÓCH
03-10-2014, 12:54 AM
Lakers

spurraider21
03-10-2014, 01:12 AM
Houston is probably the most difficult matchup. The Clippers and Grizzlies are weak on the wings. The Blazers seem to be tough but they're a jump shooting team, and I don't think they are built for the playoffs. Their go-to play is LaMarcus Aldridge fading away from 15 feet. The Warriors are athletic but Green does solid work on Curry while Kawhi shut down Klay last year. Bogut can give Duncan problems, but last year's playoffs and this year's reg season has shown that we can beat them. The Mavs simply lack talent and are awful defensively. The Suns are way too young to be a serious playoff threat when they are relying on Gerald Green to score 20

Prime Time
03-10-2014, 01:23 AM
Rockets are horrifying, imo. They have a naturual Spurs-killing Harden, Plenty of outside shooters, Asik/Howard to eat up anything inside, and Jeremy Lin for emotional support. I'd much rather face the Thunder over Houston, IMO. Though both would be one tough cookie in the playoffs. We all better hope they manage to put themselves on the same side of the bracket.

Robz4000
03-10-2014, 01:24 AM
Rockets, easily.

timtonymanu
03-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Easily the Rockets.

I'm confident that the Spurs could beat all the others.

timmy2003
03-10-2014, 02:00 AM
Rockets are just scaring. They have matchup advantage at almost every position.

z0sa
03-10-2014, 02:11 AM
Rockets or Blazers.

TE
03-10-2014, 02:12 AM
Rockets, by far.

chazley
03-10-2014, 02:15 AM
Rockets are an overrated team. They are one piece away, and they're gonna be exposed in the playoffs when teams take away Harden offensively and relentlessly attack him defensively. Especially against a team like San Antonio where you can't hide bad defenders.

For me, the toughest matchup would be the Clippers, especially if they get Redick back. Alot of players we don't match up great against.

SpursFan86
03-10-2014, 02:17 AM
I agree with the Rockets being the toughest matchup for us...possibly even tougher than OKC. I think the best-case scenario is that Houston gets knocked off in the first round by a team like Golden State or the Clippers. Those teams match up with Houston better, and I wouldn't be surprised if they beat the Rockets.

However I do think Spurs fans should be a little cautious about the Clippers. I know we've had their number in recent years, but this year is different. They no longer have an incompetent coach, and many of their players (namely Griffin and DJ) have improved noticeably. I'm not saying we can't beat them, but I know a lot of people here laugh at the idea of the Clippers causing us problems in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they took us to 6 games.

scanry
03-10-2014, 02:20 AM
Even before the GS series, i just knew they'd give the Spurs all they can handle. If it wasn't for the Game 1 comeback, the series ends in 5 tbh.

Rockets are scary, but i think it might be a different picture come playoffs.

HarlemHeat37
03-10-2014, 02:20 AM
Rockets are an overrated team. They are one piece away, and they're gonna be exposed in the playoffs when teams take away Harden offensively and relentlessly attack him defensively. Especially against a team like San Antonio where you can't hide bad defenders.

For me, the toughest matchup would be the Clippers, especially if they get Redick back. Alot of players we don't match up great against.

:lol what an awful take on every level, tbh..

baseline bum
03-10-2014, 02:39 AM
Miami is the toughest matchup, but obviously I would like to see the Spurs not avoid them since it would mean they didn't make it out of the west.

KL2
03-10-2014, 02:51 AM
Damn it, lagged and accidentally voted clippers lol. Blazers for sure, they always play lights out against SA.

siraulo23
03-10-2014, 04:22 AM
It would have to be the blazers imo
i can already imagine, aldridge, lillard going off

plus their three point shooters, mathews, batum, and mo williams, yikes

Rockets is up there but not sure how theyd play in the POs

chazley
03-10-2014, 04:30 AM
:lol what an awful take on every level, tbh..

You should try discounting it instead of coming off as an ignorant idiot. But maybe that's your thing.

Gummi Clutch
03-10-2014, 04:53 AM
It would have to be the blazers imo
i can already imagine, aldridge, lillard going off

plus their three point shooters, mathews, batum, and mo williams, yikes

Rockets is up there but not sure how theyd play in the POs
What makes you convinced that the completely reliant on jumpshooting-blazers will be able to do better in a playoff atmosphere?

They are a fluke team. The rockets are starting to gel and haven't peaked yet, if they peak around PO time they could be scary.

I still take the spurs over any team in the WC though

Gummi Clutch
03-10-2014, 04:56 AM
You should try discounting it instead of coming off as an ignorant idiot. But maybe that's your thing.
I think what he meant was that you're a fucking idiot and should stop posting about anything basketball related since you don't demonstrate the intelligence to do so.

Hope that clarifies things.

spurraider21
03-10-2014, 05:22 AM
^with no regard for human life

Baam
03-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Golden State : elite defensive team that added another SF thus making it almost impossible to switch like we did last year...

If Green guards Curry and Kawhi guards Thompson then Iguy is just gonna bully TP and make him exausted as hell by the second game... Their big flaw is a stagnant offense but if they get hot they're scary as fuck.

Rockets have probably a better balance overall so I can see them being the team most people pick... But going by last year's PO, GS adding Iguy changes the dynamic of a series that was already a nightmare last year...

KaiRMD1
03-10-2014, 06:47 AM
I'd actually want the Spurs to play OKC and beat them. Why avoid them?

chazley
03-10-2014, 07:14 AM
I think what he meant was that you're a fucking idiot and should stop posting about anything basketball related since you don't demonstrate the intelligence to do so.

Hope that clarifies things.

Nope, you did a terrible job, and on top of it no one gives a single shit what your opinion is. Check my signature, I am a legend on Spurstalk and you should show the appropriate respect.

Boomersgold
03-10-2014, 07:14 AM
Golden State and the Rockets. Golden State are the Best team in the league when Klay and Steph are clicking. Rockets are a talented team with a great deal of athleticism.

benefactor
03-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Nope, you did a terrible job, and on top of it no one gives a single shit what your opinion is. Check my signature, I am a legend on Spurstalk and you should show the appropriate respect.
Tell us more about Roger Mason Jr.

MultiTroll
03-10-2014, 08:13 AM
I'd actually want the Spurs to play OKC and beat them.
Absolutely.

Why avoid them?
Thunderef

NickiRasgo
03-10-2014, 10:12 AM
For me, the real threat for us right now in the West is Rockets. Even before the preseason game. Spurs really having trouble with a fast-phase team just like what happened against Warriors. I think we're just kinda lucky that Lee got injured. That team is really perfect except at 4 position and they have a lot of gunners and I also think that D12 is a pefect fit with the Rockets. It also seems that he's having a good relationship with the team unlike when he's on the Lakers.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223854&p=6900989#post6900989

mudyez
03-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Voted for the Rockets, but actually I'm only scared of OKC and OKC only in the west.

Hack a Howard will kill Houston.

Blake
03-10-2014, 11:19 AM

Awful

Cry Havoc
03-10-2014, 11:29 AM
I fear no team if we're healthy. I think OKC would give us the most problems, but that's more due to the whistles they get than their capabilities, tbh. The Warriors WILL be a tough out again this year regardless of seeding. I could see them upsetting anyone in the first round. They would give OKC fits.

TheyCallMePro
03-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Fear Portland the most matching up with us in that 4-5 match up in the second round. I'm almost sure it's going to happen too. They have the best starting 5 in the West and we'll have to rely on our bench to heavily contribute if were gunna beat them.

Cry Havoc
03-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Fear Portland the most matching up with us in that 4-5 match up in the second round. I'm almost sure it's going to happen too. They have the best starting 5 in the West and we'll have to rely on our bench to heavily contribute if were gunna beat them.

Portland's bench is nonexistent. If they could play our bench, they would lose 9 out of 10 games. Their starters can't maintain that level of play over a 7 game series, and pop is too good not to exploit their weaknesses.

Horse
03-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Same old rockets if you ask me. Once the playoffs start and jumpers stop falling they fall apart.

urunobili
03-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Houston

weeks
03-10-2014, 01:10 PM
i think the rockets, if for no other reason than they're league favorites and we'd be bullied outrageously by the zebras

Old School 44
03-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Rockets. Not that I don't think we can beat them, but any team with an athletic, defensive big and an elite scorer seems to give us the most problems. That's why I think it's, OKC and Houston that would be the toughest opponents. Best case scenario, is they are both on the other side of the bracket and we only have to face one of them in the Western Conference Finals, of course assuming we both get there.

Chinook
03-10-2014, 01:49 PM

It's not a good take, man. Can't say I agree with any of it.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-10-2014, 01:51 PM
All of them. This way they can just hand the trophy to the Spurs without them even breaking a sweat.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Rockets are the only team that matchup well against the Spurs at the moment. Even then, if the Spurs bench can click like they did last year, I think the Spurs can win a best of 7 series against any team out West.

Mal
03-10-2014, 01:57 PM
I want to avoid Rockets. OKC with Westbrook and Durant going at themselves are great rival for Spurs. With their leadership problem, weak coaching they arent such treat.

Budkin
03-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Only scared of OKC.

Brazil
03-10-2014, 03:32 PM
out of OKC yeah I'd say Rockets, Harden is usually a freaking nightmare for the Spurs among other issues. I would be curious to see the rematch Dwight Timmy tbh, Timmy made him his bitch last time... he must try to get on his nerves again.

DatBoyGood
03-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Beside from OKC, it would be Houston. Harden Parsons and Howard would be a lot to handle.

RD2191
03-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Rockets are garbage. Couple of seasons ago the Clips were all the rage, then last year GS, this year Houston. Its OKC and Spurs, then everyone else out West.

look_at_g_shred
03-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Gimmie OKC please.

TD 21
03-10-2014, 04:34 PM
From most to least difficult: Thunder, Rockets, Warriors, Clippers, Trail Blazers, Grizzlies, Mavericks, Suns.

The top one goes without saying and though you could quibble with the order of the last three, so to do they, so really this is about the other four, aka the group they're definitely capable of beating, but aren't guaranteed to do so.

AFBlue
03-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Eff the Rockets. Aron Baynes, a.k.a fringe rotation big, made Howard his bitch the last time the Spurs met him in the playoffs. I don't care that he has a better supporting cast and is rolling; he's bitch-made and the Spurs will have a scheme/personnel set to limit him. As for Harden, he doesn't have nearly the "protection" as the last time the Spurs met him in winning season. KD, Westchuck and Ibaka are light years better than Parsons, Lin and Jones. He will get exposed by either Kawhi, Danny or both.

Too much love and respect in this thread for the Rockets imo tbqh fwiw.

RD2191
03-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Eff the Rockets. Aron Baynes, a.k.a fringe rotation big, made Howard his bitch the last time the Spurs met him in the playoffs. I don't care that he has a better supporting cast and is rolling; he's bitch-made and the Spurs will have a scheme/personnel set to limit him. As for Harden, he doesn't have nearly the "protection" as the last time the Spurs met him in winning season. KD, Westchuck and Ibaka are light years better than Parsons, Lin and Jones. He will get exposed by either Kawhi, Danny or both.
:hat

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Suns. No dragic please

Skull-1
03-10-2014, 06:55 PM
I'd actually want the Spurs to play OKC and beat them. Why avoid them?

That's the spirit, ol' sport. :toast

iManu
03-10-2014, 07:17 PM
LOL Almost all of us put Rockets, but the modern sports world only talks about the Clippers or Thunder.

cjw
03-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Rockets are horrifying, imo. They have a naturual Spurs-killing Harden, Plenty of outside shooters, Asik/Howard to eat up anything inside, and Jeremy Lin for emotional support. I'd much rather face the Thunder over Houston, IMO. Though both would be one tough cookie in the playoffs. We all better hope they manage to put themselves on the same side of the bracket.

Yes, either pray OKC and HOU end up as the 2/3, or that we fall to the 2 with the Clippers at 3.

hooperflash
03-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Them cocky mofos up in Houston.

AFBlue
03-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Portland is pretty daunting tbqh. Aldridge, Lillard, Matthews, Batum, with Mo Williams off the bench. I still think the Spurs take them in a series, but they have a lot of weapons that always seem to torch the Spurs.

Aztecfan03
03-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Rockets are just scaring. They have matchup advantage at almost every position.

Center and SG yes. definitely not PG. You would take Parsons over Leonard and Jones over Diaw or Duncan?

heyheymymy
03-10-2014, 10:40 PM
thunder, rockets, blazers, clippers, warriors in that order.

rockets and blazers in particular could use their athleticism to outmatch the spurs.

timmy2003
03-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Center and SG yes. definitely not PG. You would take Parsons over Leonard and Jones over Diaw or Duncan?
Parker struggled to score aginst Jeremy Lin. Imo, Parsons is a better offensive player than Leonard.

TD 21
03-11-2014, 12:27 AM

I don't disagree that the extent to which they're being built up is a bit much, but you're underselling them.

If we were ranking teams, I'd have the Clippers a clear third, but this is about match-ups for the Spurs, so the Rockets get the nod.

aal04
03-11-2014, 05:58 AM
GSw over a best of 3 match series.

Not scared of them in a best of 7.

Houston is a one man show. I think if K can quieten him we should win.

OKC im scared of bloody perkins/ibaka. They give our inside fits.

SpurCharger
03-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Portland

eric365
03-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Portland
Spurs can't defend on LMA