PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Is the SG position dying out?

whitemamba
03-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Since mj is long gone, kobe is all about done, the SG era looks like it's dying down tbh. Seems like there is no one left other than harden , tosb wade that are somewhat true SG. Don't know about anything coming up in the next few years either. Especially with athletic 3s, 4s, and 5s becoming shooters now.

Katherine Robinson
03-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Dying out? It's dead and being supplemented by scoring PGs.

irishock
03-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Eventually the position will cease to exist. It'll be 2 PGs and a frontcourt. All the 6'6 2s we have today will become 3s.

Thread
03-10-2014, 01:44 PM
^Ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhh, Shocky, they'll hear you over at Mori's Place and I'll never hear the end of it.

ElNono
03-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Well, there's ISO Joe and manu, but they're also getting old... OJ Mayo was a flop...

There's still some talent... Harden, Wes Matthews, Klay Thompson, Belli, Bradley Beal...

Cry Havoc
03-10-2014, 02:11 PM
The SG position isn't really dying out, it's just changing phases. Perhaps even becoming a bit more niche, a bit more of a 6th man role rather than a 35mpg+ role. Good shooters will always be valuable in the NBA. But as defenses evolve, so too does the SG role. It's harder to find open spot up shooters in this NBA because of how aggressively teams rotate. So either a team needs to pass the ball extraordinarily well to find the wide open shooter, or the SG had to be a bit of a hybrid, like an SF. The NBA is now getting skill guys who are bigger than they've ever been (LeBron, Dirk, Durant) and it's definitely affecting lineups even for teams that don't have a big SF.

Shooting Guards used to be able to get their shot anytime they wanted it, but modern defense has made that largely a thing of the past. Shooters now need to be able to create for themselves OR have a specific system in place to get them an open look. I don't think we're close to saying the position is done, but the spot up shooter that's left wide open is quickly becoming obsolete.

Calispursfan11
03-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Patty mills is the future tbh

ElNono
03-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Patty mills is the future tbh

MVPatty, tbh

spurraider21
03-10-2014, 03:04 PM
the shooting guard position has fallen off a cliff since Michael Redd got injured

03-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Before MJ, who was a big time shooting guard?

Thread
03-10-2014, 03:12 PM
^Uh, uh, uh, uh,.............

O & 45!!!

tee, hee.

whitemamba
03-10-2014, 03:18 PM

Gervin and Drexler were pretty big time.

03-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Gervin and Drexler were pretty big time.
Thanks, I'm only 19 so my knowledge of basketball history is rather limited. I'm learning, though.

Clipper Nation
03-10-2014, 03:26 PM

David Thompson (MJ's favorite player growing up)
Earl Monroe
Pistol Pete Maravich
Sidney Moncrief

poeticism707
03-10-2014, 04:14 PM
The SG position is certainly dead if overrated scrubs like Harden, propped up by empty whistles and free throws, is the best of the bunch.

To think NBA fans were quite frankly spoiled with a player of Kobe's caliber post MJ, and now all these trash Hardens are all we have to look forward to...

Such is the league.

RD2191
03-10-2014, 04:15 PM
The SG position is certainly dead if overrated scrubs like Harden, propped up by empty whistles and free throws, is the best of the bunch.

To think NBA fans were quite frankly spoiled with a player of Kobe's caliber post MJ, and now all these trash Hardens are all we have to look forward to...
:lmao
Such is the league.

djohn2oo8
03-10-2014, 04:16 PM

Such is the league.
Scroll up to the top of the screen, click the down arrow to the far right, and click the last option. And Don't log back in.

Cry Havoc
03-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Such is the league.

Harden certainly gets the calls, but come on. Dude is legit. Great handles, fast as hell, and a pretty decent shot. Houston isn't killing it right now by accident.

poeticism707
03-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Scroll up to the top of the screen, click the down arrow to the far right, and click the last option. And Don't log back in.

Harden may average about 15 a game without all the d-whistle treatment.

But the league loves scrubs that look "tuff," so they give him a bunch of fake freebies.

We've seen it before, and we'll see it again.

djohn2oo8
03-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Harden may average about 15 a game without all the d-whistle treatment.

But the league loves scrubs that look "tuff," so they give him a bunch of fake freebies.

We've seen it before, and we'll see it again.
Kobe got superstar calls. Durant gets them. What is your point?

Jodelo
03-10-2014, 04:35 PM

:lmao

poeticism707
03-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Kobe got superstar calls. Durant gets them. What is your point?

Kobe got Superstar calls in the begging of his career, but Kobe worked so hard on his game, they stopped giving him to Kobe. He was such a great player, they had to remove the biased officiating in his favor, or it would have been too lopsided. From about 2005-06, 07 at the latest, Kobe stopped getting the superstar treatment.

The Lakers I hate. Shaq, that fat, lazy bum I hate. But Kobe I have nothing but for respect for his game. There is a reason why he's the second greatest player in his generation, to only TD. He rose above biased officiating, beat you with his game, and his game only. Not to say he didn't want or miss the advantage, but nonetheless, he did.

But other scrubs, like DWhistle (2006 Finals), Harden, are content to coast on bad officiating, beat their chests like they actually did something, hitting some fake free throw.

This is why players like Whistle, and Harden will never hold a candle to Kobe.

Post Jordan SG: Kobe, then a bunch of other no name scrubs.

Killakobe81
03-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Kobe got Superstar calls in the begging of his career, but Kobe worked so hard on his game, they stopped giving him to Kobe. He was such a great player, they had to remove the biased officiating in his favor, or it would have been too lopsided. From about 2005-06, 07 at the latest, Kobe stopped getting the superstar treatment.

The Lakers I hate. Shaq, that fat, lazy bum I hate. But Kobe I have nothing but for respect for his game. There is a reason why he's the second greatest player in his generation, to only TD. He rose above biased officiating, beat you with his game, and his game only. Not to say he didn't want or miss the advantage, but nonetheless, he did.

But other scrubs, like DWhistle (2006 Finals), Harden, are content to coast on bad officiating, beat their chests like they actually did something, hitting some fake free throw.

Cant agree with all of this but at least an attempt to be unbiased. All superstars get calls even TD, but Kobe and duncan are so strong fundamentally they don't need as much.

djohn2oo8
03-10-2014, 04:45 PM

1. Hold on, so Kobe was so great he had to stop getting calls because it would have been too lopsided? :lmao I guess you don't remember the Jordan era.

2. Harden drives to the paint and manipulates the defender into fouling him. It is a foul. But is not his entire game.

3. Explain Durant's FTA?

Killakobe81
03-10-2014, 04:49 PM
I dont think anyone should be upset that Harden, Durant or CP3 get star calls almost all superstar or all-stars do.
I just think the cheap failing that some stars resort to while smart smacks a bit of "bitch-made" ...if you played hoops and some guy you were guarding did that stuff you would want to sock him dead in his jaw.
But since the refs suck and fall for it cant blame tbh ...

poeticism707
03-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Cant agree with all of this but at least an attempt to be unbiased. All superstars get calls even TD, but Kobe and duncan are so strong fundamentally they don't need as much.

Obviously TD and Kobe are the cream of the crop, it just get's so tiresome when when the league and fans try to prop up untested, overinflated scrubs, that wouldn't match TD and Kobe's accomplishments if you gave them 100 years to do it.

Could you imagine Harden doing ANYTHING IN THIS LEAGUE AT ALL when hand checking was allowed? Of course not.

TD would dominate in any era. Kobe couldn't hit a open jumper in 98, and now I'd take any Kobe jumper over any Jordan jumper.

THAT is greatness, and just RIDICULOUS WORTH ETHIC AND CONDITIONING.

Again, everyone else in the NBA currently is just a role player, with the exception of maybe Lebron or Durant.

Clipper Nation
03-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Again, everyone else in the NBA currently is just a role player, with the exception of maybe Lebron or Durant.

:lmao Holy shit, your takes are garbage, go back upstairs.... better yet, take your Kirby slurping to Lakersground where it belongs :lol

djohn2oo8
03-10-2014, 04:58 PM
I'd take any Kobe jumper over any Jordan jumper.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/3931087/parkerft.gif

Clipper Nation
03-10-2014, 05:00 PM
From about 2005-06, 07 at the latest, Kobe stopped getting the superstar treatment.

He rose above biased officiating, beat you with his game, and his game only.
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

irishock
03-10-2014, 05:04 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Rssxpimp 2.0, tbh... :lol

poeticism707
03-10-2014, 05:04 PM
:lmao Holy shit, your takes are garbage, go back upstairs.... better yet, take your Kirby slurping to Lakersground where it belongs :lol

Grow up. Give Kirby his do, he's earned it.

Unlike the aforementioned Wade, getting his usual foodstamps at the line in 2006.

I hate the Lakers even more that you do, I guarantee you that, but I will always be honest.

Would I want someone falsely ragging TD? Of course not.

Just because we joke a lot on here, they are just that: joking, kidding, etc. A humorous break from our daily lives.

But serious basketball discussion will actually happen once or twice.

sook
03-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Dying out? It's dead and being supplemented by scoring PGs.

You're half right.

Its true that guys like WB, Curry and the likes of them are SGs. They shoot the fuck out of the ball but play PG just because they are too tiny to matchup with bigger players. It also causes all time offensive players like Durant to suffer since they have an excuse to have the ball in their hands most of the time.

Clipper Nation
03-10-2014, 05:36 PM
But serious basketball discussion will actually happen once or twice.

"Serious basketball discussion" =/= "everyone in the league except LeBron and Durbeta is a role player"

poeticism707
03-10-2014, 05:41 PM
"Serious basketball discussion" =/= "everyone in the league except LeBron and Durbeta is a role player"

Career wise yes. And that actually only applies to Lebron with 2 rings now.

sook
03-10-2014, 05:42 PM
^ lol dumb ass trying too hard.

poeticism707
03-10-2014, 05:55 PM
^ lol dumb ass trying too hard.

Look Sook, I'm sure you are the moron you pretend to be, but I don't have time for petty rivalries. I am way too grown for that.
So go ahead, like many others before you, have at the the usual stupid, teenager sniping.

But I won't be hear a word of it. Another idiot on ignore.

ElNono
03-10-2014, 05:57 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/163/579/tumblr_lmpf0v2JZB1qjkec8o1_500.png

Clipper Nation
03-10-2014, 05:57 PM

http://i.imgur.com/JF7FgYz.jpg

sook
03-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Look Sook, I'm sure you are the moron you pretend to be, but I don't have time for petty rivalries. I am way too grown for that.
So go ahead, like many others before you, have at the the usual stupid, teenager sniping.

But I won't be hear a word of it. Another idiot on ignore.
I normally don't reply to obvious attention whoring but I'll give you a couple of minutes to google the backup SG on the rockets. I doubt you'll get it right even after doing that.

False.

Beard ain't event the best SG on his team.