PDA

View Full Version : lots of Spurs praise today

SpurPadre
03-10-2014, 10:25 PM
On the dreaded espn radio, Avery Johnson came on and picked the Spurs to win the Championship by getting true revenge on the heat. He went on praising Pop and the system. Then on local SF BAY AREA radio former player Tom Tollbert said the Spurs are the one team the Warriors want to avoid in the playoffs and marvelled about how they keep being amongst the elite every year. His sidekick chimed in and said "it's only because of TD...and Pop. And Parker. And Manu." Tolbert then said "and?" The other guy then proceeded to name the rest of the roster except for Bonner, lol, but Tolbert included it by adding "well, I guess we even have to include Matt Bonner for his three point shooting." And I've been told a few espn shows like around the horn have been propping us up as well. Not like Pop and the team give a shit but it's good to get some much-deserved respect every now and then.

dallasmaverickslose
03-10-2014, 10:39 PM
We're going to need Timmy to give it everything he's got if we are to win the finals this year.

RD2191
03-10-2014, 10:42 PM
We're going to need Timmy to give it everything he's got if we are to win the finals this year.
I disagree, that will only lead to failure. The Spurs need a complete team effort if they want to win it this year. Contributions from guys like Kawhi/Green/Diaw are all going to be needed.

dallasmaverickslose
03-10-2014, 10:45 PM
I disagree, that will only lead to failure. The Spurs need a complete team effort if they want to win it this year. Contributions from guys like Kawhi/Green/Diaw are all going to be needed.

I wasn't denying that at all. But you can't deny that overall Timmy had an integral presence in our success against Miami. I truly believe he would've received the finals MVP if we won that series. Even though he didn't post gargantuan numbers in all 7 games.

RD2191
03-10-2014, 10:46 PM
I wasn't denying that at all. But you can't deny that overall Timmy had an integral presence in our success against Miami. I truly believe he would've received the finals MVP if we won that series.
Timmy had a historical run to lead us to the Finals, that game 6 performance was a masterpiece. I just think we can't count on that happening again.

dallasmaverickslose
03-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Timmy had a historical run to lead us to the Finals, that game 6 performance was a masterpiece. I just think we can't count on that happening again.

That's why I'm concerned that we won't be able to win a championship in this era unless he winds back the clock again in the playoffs. Because without Duncan doing work at the 4 and 5, we are kind of weak.

spurs1990
03-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Just to add to the OP.

Skip brought up his customary 'Spurs best record in the league' declaration.

George Karl picked the Spurs to win the west on VanPelt/Russilo.

Brent Barry picked the Spurs to come out of the west much to the chagrin of Dan Patrick.

Obviously everyone mentioned is tied to the team but they're all professionals in the business nonetheless.

Mugen
03-10-2014, 10:53 PM
who cares tbh

wildbill2u
03-11-2014, 12:02 AM
It isn't just that we have depth with talent and use it. We still have some elite players like TD, TP and Manu. Add all those above average Per players and we have as good a chance at another title as anyone.

Sean Cagney
03-11-2014, 12:41 AM
They earned their props over the years but it's all speculation now! The games have to be played. I won't celebrate if I hear some picking them to come out winning the West or the TITLE, means nothing to me at ALL if they do not win it all.

td4mvp2k
03-11-2014, 12:49 AM
They earned their props over the years but it's all speculation now! The games have to be played. I won't celebrate if I hear some picking them to come out winning the West or the TITLE, means nothing to me at ALL if they do not win it all.

like lakerfan last yr tbh?

Sean Cagney
03-11-2014, 01:04 AM
like lakerfan last yr tbh?

Yeah they thought they had the West in the bag last year at the beginning! That fell fast though when the actual season began and they were below .500 for a long time.

Trainwreck2100
03-11-2014, 01:14 AM
Only cause LeBron and kd shit the bed this weekend. Rather than shit talk them they'll praise the spurs till those two get off the schnide

jbspurs
03-11-2014, 01:41 AM
On the dreaded espn radio, Avery Johnson came on and picked the Spurs to win the Championship by getting true revenge on the heat. He went on praising Pop and the system. Then on local SF BAY AREA radio former player Tom Tollbert said the Spurs are the one team the Warriors want to avoid in the playoffs and marvelled about how they keep being amongst the elite every year. His sidekick chimed in and said "it's only because of TD...and Pop. And Parker. And Manu." Tolbert then said "and?" The other guy then proceeded to name the rest of the roster except for Bonner, lol, but Tolbert included it by adding "well, I guess we even have to include Matt Bonner for his three point shooting." And I've been told a few espn shows like around the horn have been propping us up as well. Not like Pop and the team give a shit but it's good to get some much-deserved respect every now and then.

Those guys in the afternoon shows really knows what they are talking about. I don't know about the morning show with Gary and Larry, One of them was trying to downgrade the Spurs victory over Miami Heat. Someone mentioned something about Spurs had the advantage because they are well rested and Heat was just on a back to back game and was so tired. And that NBA should not put contenders on back to back games and just leave the back to back games to non good teams. He was just clearly hating on Spurs, both teams had a day off and rested before that game. What a h

TheGoldStandard
03-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Media has to cover all bases now, they know they don't want to be left in the dust or look like they picked wrong when the Spurs hit the playoffs. What SA has done with the injuries leading up to now has been pretty remarkable and yet they haven't even hit there best stride yet which I think will happen as they approach April going into the playoffs. The perfect ending to this season would be Duncan hoisting that LOB and the MVP trophy.

Mel_13
03-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Media has to cover all bases now, they know they don't want to be left in the dust or look like they picked wrong when the Spurs hit the playoffs. What SA has done with the injuries leading up to now has been pretty remarkable and yet they haven't even hit there best stride yet which I think will happen as they approach April going into the playoffs. The perfect ending to this season would be Duncan hoisting that LOB and the MVP trophy.

this

They've been writing Spurs obituaries for the better part of a decade, but the Spurs just won't die. So they grit their teeth and cover them because they have no choice.

boutons_deux
03-11-2014, 12:02 PM

I have no doubt he did that last year. The failures in game 6,7 were elsewhere.

UZER
03-11-2014, 12:36 PM
They're just hedging their bets.

crc21209
03-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Just to add to the OP.

Skip brought up his customary 'Spurs best record in the league' declaration.

George Karl picked the Spurs to win the west on VanPelt/Russilo.

Brent Barry picked the Spurs to come out of the west much to the chagrin of Dan Patrick.

Obviously everyone mentioned is tied to the team but they're all professionals in the business nonetheless.

Dan Patrick is a tool tbh. Does anyone still listen to this guy? :lol

sexinthatsx
03-11-2014, 01:09 PM
In order for Spurs to win, Tiago needs to produce and contribute in the same type of way Joakim Noah is contributing to the Bulls: more blocks, better man on man defense (not weak-side help defense) passes out of the pick and roll, and to a certain extent more mid-range jump shots.

SpurPadre
03-11-2014, 02:31 PM
In order for Spurs to win, Tiago needs to produce and contribute in the same type of way Joakim Noah is contributing to the Bulls: more blocks, better man on man defense (not weak-side help defense) passes out of the pick and roll, and to a certain extent more mid-range jump shots.

You're asking for him to do things outside of his talent level. He isn't athletic enough to get more blocks and he doesn't have the ability to improve his outside game. However, yes, he can improve on his man on man defense and his passing has shown glimpses of improvement that can be more consistent. Above all, he needs to play with balls like Marco does.

boutons_deux
03-11-2014, 02:50 PM
You're asking for him to do things outside of his talent level. He isn't athletic enough to get more blocks and he doesn't have the ability to improve his outside game. However, yes, he can improve on his man on man defense and his passing has shown glimpses of improvement that can be more consistent. Above all, he needs to play with balls like Marco does.

Tiago and Baynes aren't "into the game, with intensity, commitment, responsibility" the way YN is, although I can really do without YN's spoiled-brat tantrums, look-at-me histrionics.

weeks
03-11-2014, 03:00 PM
who cares tbh
i like it when people say nice things about the team i love, tbh

SilverSpur
03-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Just saw an announcement on ESPN for the Portland game and they called us the "eternally elite"
Feels good to hear that.

Sean Cagney
03-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Those guys in the afternoon shows really knows what they are talking about. I don't know about the morning show with Gary and Larry, One of them was trying to downgrade the Spurs victory over Miami Heat. Someone mentioned something about Spurs had the advantage because they are well rested and Heat was just on a back to back game and was so tired. And that NBA should not put contenders on back to back games and just leave the back to back games to non good teams. He was just clearly hating on Spurs, both teams had a day off and rested before that game. What a h

That last is the dumbest idea I have heard, yeah punish bad teams and only put them on back to backs and pad the good teams records by not giving them any back to backs! What a stupid idea if I ever heard one. I agree he was just clearly hating too, have seen that myself before and could tell right away when some idiot was going to hate by the tone of voice and then boom it comes. I usually don't listen or just turn or laugh.
I have no doubt he did that last year. The failures in game 6,7 were elsewhere.

Tim did all he could to win that in 6 and put it away, the coach and others choked it away along with some bad bounces. Tim gave it all he had.

jbspurs
03-12-2014, 12:18 AM
That last is the dumbest idea I have heard, yeah punish bad teams and only put them on back to backs and pad the good teams records by not giving them any back to backs! What a stupid idea if I ever heard one. I agree he was just clearly hating too, have seen that myself before and could tell right away when some idiot was going to hate by the tone of voice and then boom it comes. I usually don't listen or just turn or laugh.

I didn't want them to ruin the rest of morning commute, changed station right away. I noticed after the finals series, more people appreciate the style of basketball the Spurs play. I guess it helps going against the hated Miami Heat.