PDA

View Full Version : Oberto can't wipe the smile off his face

Solid D
08-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Fabricio, his wife and daughter are back in Argentina and he's proud to show off his new Spurs gear. He might even be sleeping in the jersey, for all we know! :fro

http://www.lmcba.com.ar/2005/05-08-05/6_podio_20.htm

Vie : 05 Ago : 2005

http://www.lmcba.com.ar/2005/05-08-05/img/Pod/p35-1.jpg
Oberto mostró la camiseta
del campeón.

“No se me borra la sonrisa”

Fabricio Oberto está en el mejor momento de su carrera y se nota. Empezó a cumplir su sueño de llegar a la NBA. El cordobés regresó a Córdoba tras firmar el contrato con San Antonio Spurs y la camiseta número 7, nada menos que del campeón de la Liga más poderosa del planeta, que tanto le costó conseguir.
«Hace tres o cuatro días que no se me borra la sonrisa de la boca. Se dio el sueño de estar en la NBA y que sea en los Spurs es una sensación difícil de explicar», contó Fabri, minutos después de regresar de San Antonio.
Sin dejar de sonreir un momento, pese a la demora del viaje y sin soltar la camiseta blanca con vivos negros con su nombre, la única que trajo, Oberto continuó con «con los años un tiene más experiencia para hablar con ustedes (los periodistas), pero créanme que este momento es especial y no puedo describir lo que siento y no puedo parar de reír».
A unos pocos pasos lo acompañaban su mujer Lorena y su hija Julia (mañana cumplirá un mes), que permitieron al cordobés seguir contanto las sensaciones del viaje a la casa de los campeones de la NBA. «Sólo conocí el lugar de entrenamiento y pude comprobar lo que se siente ser jugador de la NBA, la organización. Todos me trataron muy bien, desde la gente del equipo hasta los fans», contó, mientras un ex compañero, Marcelo Milanesio, lo escuchaba.
«En algún momento pensé que mi sueño no se cumpliría y ahora estoy con el campeón y con Manu (Ginóbili) espero que sea más fácil la adaptación. Estoy preparado para el juego rudo de la NBA, físicamente estoy bien y voy a estar mejor. Tengo más ganas de trabajar que nunca. Ya tuve algunas batallas y estoy listo», relató el pivote de Las Varillas.
«En San Antonio se nota que se vive intensamente el básquetbol. Por la calidad y ser los campeones, es una presión extra. Ya cumplí mi sueño, ahora es el momento de trabajar para el equipo y devolverle la confianza que pusieron en mi», también dijo Oberto. El cordobés tendrá a uno de los mejores jugadores de la NBA como compañero, el MVP de las finales, Tim Duncan. «Con Gregg (Popovich) hablamos de cómo puedo jugar al lado de Duncan. Jugar junto a alguien que hace todo bien me facilitará la tarea. Es una garantía estar con él», contó.
«No pienso en ser titular. Un equipo campeón tiene sus jugadores y el nuevo tiene que adaptarse» agregó Fabri.
Cerró con «la pretemporada comenzará en octubre, yo a fines de este mes viajaré para empezar a trabajar. Ya en setiembre empiezan a llegar todos los jugadores».

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google translation Spanish to English

Date: 05 Aug: 2005

Oberto showed the t-shirt
of the champion.

"Not me flock the smile"

Fabricio Oberto is at the best moment of its race and note. It began to fulfill his dream to arrive at the NBA. The Cordovan returned to Cordova after signing the contract with San Antonio Spurs and the t-shirt number 7, nothing less than of the champion of most powerful Liga of the planet, that as much cost to obtain to him.
"For three or four days that not me flock the smile of the mouth. The dream occurred to be in the NBA and that is in the Spurs is a sensation difficult to explain ", Fabri counted, minutes after returning of San Antonio.
Without letting sonreir a little while, in spite of the delay of the trip and without loosen the white t-shirt with alive black with its name, the only one that brought, Oberto continued with "with the years has more experience to speak with you (the journalists), but créanme who this moment are special and I cannot describe what I feel and I cannot stop to laugh".
To few steps they accompanied its Lorena woman and her Julia daughter (tomorrow she will turn a month), who allowed the Cordovan to follow contanto the sensations from the trip the house of the champions of the NBA. "I only knew the place training and I could verify what one feels to be player of the NBA, the organization. All they treated to me very well, from the people of the equipment to fans ", counted, while an ex- companion, Marcelo Milanesio, listened to it.
"About some moment I thought that my dream would not be fulfilled now and I am with the champion and with Manu (Ginóbili) I hope that it is easier the adaptation. I am prepared for the robust game of the NBA, I physically am well and I am going to be better. I have more desire to work than ever. I had some battles and I am already ready ", related the pivot of the Rods.
"In San Antonio note that lives básquetbol intensely. By the quality and to be the champions, is an extra pressure. I already fulfilled my dream, now it is the moment for working for the equipment and to give back the confidence to him that put in my ", also said Oberto. The Cordovan will have to one of the best players of the NBA like companion, the MVP of the end, Tim Duncan. "With Gregg (Popovich) we spoke of how I can play next to Duncan. To play next to that it does all good will facilitate the task to me. It is a guarantee to be with him ", counted.
"I do not think about being to title. An equipment champion has its players and the new one must adapt "added Fabri.
It closed with "the preseason will begin in October, I by the end of this month I will travel to begin to work. In September they already begin to arrive all the players ".

ducks
08-05-2005, 05:48 PM
your new starting power foward
duncan to center

Kori Ellis
08-05-2005, 05:51 PM
I think people hyping Oberto as the Spurs next starting power forward (or center) are really jumping the gun. The guy hasn't played one NBA game yet. He might be a complete bust for all we know (though I certainly hope not). Not everybody does well when they arrive in the NBA.

Slow down a bit. Let him hit the NBA hardwood before we anoint him.

Solid D
08-05-2005, 05:54 PM
I think the Google translation "flock" (me borra) means erase in this case. He cannot erase the smile.

Solid D
08-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Some people penciled in Ian Mahinmi as next year's center 2 days after the draft, also, but it's just excitement mixed with wishful thinking. Simma down on the starting pivot stuff until he gets some NBA floor time trading bows.

E20
08-05-2005, 06:00 PM
I thought he had a buzz cut or was bald.

Dex
08-05-2005, 06:06 PM
I know at 6'10, Scola is a little 'undersized' for the Center position...but I still thought one of the reasons we took this guy over Scola was so that he would fill the 5-spot and we wouldn't have to worry about switching Duncan over from PF?

ambchang
08-05-2005, 06:12 PM
It depends if he is 6'10", or is he "6'10". Olajuwon was around 6'10", so was Mourning, and Wes Unseld was 6'6". Of course, being bigger is better, but height can easily be overcome by strenght (see Barkley) or skills (see Olajuwon).
Also, I agree with Kori, as good as Manu is right now, it took him a few years. When he first started, some were calling him a total bust.

jcrod
08-05-2005, 06:13 PM
I know at 6'10, Scola is a little 'undersized' for the Center position...but I still thought one of the reasons we took this guy over Scola was so that he would fill the 5-spot and we wouldn't have to worry about switching Duncan over from PF?

They didn't take him over Scola. Oberto was their second option after they realized Scola's buy out was still too much.

I still want to see how well Nazr plays under this system after a yr under his belt.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Ok, here is my translation, I need a bilingual who can confirm or correct this.
Oberto showed the Champions shirt

"I can't wipe the smile off my face"

Fabricio Oberto is in the best moment of his career and you can notice it. He started to achieve his dream of reaching the NBA. The Cordobés (someone from Cordoba, where he was born) returned to Cordoba, after signing his contract with the San Antonio Spurs and the number 7 shirt, no less than with the Champions of the most powerful league in the world, that he struggled so hard to get.

“It’s been three or four days that I can’t wipe the smile out of my face. My dream of playing in the NBA has come true and that it happens in the Spurs it’s a sensation difficult to explain”, Fabri told, minutes after returning from San Antonio.

Without stop smiling for a minute, even with the flight delay, and without leaving the white and black shirt with his name, the only one that he brought, Oberto continued with “As the years pass by, I have more experience to talk with you (the journalists), but believe me, that this is a special moment, and I can’t describe how I feel, and I can’t stop smiling.”

A few steps away, his wife Lorena and his daughter Julia (tomorrow is her first month of life) joined him, and allowed him to show the sensations of the trip to the home of the NBA Champions. “I only visited the training facilities and I could see what it feels to be an NBA player, the organization. Everyone treated me greatly, from the team staff to the fans”, he told, while a former team mate, Marcelo Milanesio, heard him.

“For a moment I though that my dream wasn’t going to become real, and now I’m with the champions and with Manu (Ginobili), I hope the adaptation will be easier. I’m prepared for the NBA’s tough game, I’m in a good shape and will be even better.” The center from Las Varillas commented.

“You notice that in San Antonio basketball has an intense following. Because of the quality and because they are the champions, it’s an extra pressure. I achieved my dream, now it’s time to work for the team and return their trust in me” Oberto also said. The Cordobes will have one of the best players in the NBA as a team mate, the Finals MVP, Tim Duncan. “We talked with Gregg (Popovich) about how I can play along Duncan. Playing alongside someone who makes everything well will make it easier for me. It’s a guarantee to play with him” he told.

“I don’t think about starting. A Champion team has its players and the new guy must adapt.” He added.

He finished with “Preseason starts in October, by the end of this month I’ll travel to start working. In September all the players start arriving."

CubanMustGo
08-05-2005, 06:15 PM
I still want to see how well Nazr plays under this system after a yr under his belt.

That, and figure out how to hang on to the ball.

Solid D
08-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the translation MMLH!!!

diego
08-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Rough translation- I figure if you make it too smooth it takes away some of the charm

“I can't erase my smile”

Fabricio Oberto is in the best moment of his career and it is noticeable. He has started realizing his dream to play in the NBA. The cordobés returned to Córdoba after signing his contract with San Antonio Spurs and getting jersey # 7, nothing less but that of the champions of the most powerful league in the planet, that was so difficult to obtain.
«It's been three or four days that I can't wipe the smile off my face. I've got the dream opportunity in the NBA and for it to be with the Spurs is a feeling difficult to explain», said Fabri, minutes after returning from San Antonio.
Without ceasing to smile, despite the delays of the trip and without letting go the black and white jersey, the only one he brought, Oberto continued with «as years go by one has more experience talking to you (the journalists), but believe me this moment is special and I cant describe what I feel and I cant stop laughing».
A few steps behind he is accompanied by his wife Lorena and daughter Julia (tommorrow will be her first month), who allowed the cordobés to continue telling the sensations of the house-visit to the NBA champs. «I only saw the training facilities and was able to get a feel for being in the NBA, the organization. Everyone treated me very well, from the team staff to the fans», he said, while an ex-teammate, Marcelo Milanesio, listened.
«At one moment I thought my dream would not come true and now I'm with the champ and with Manu (Ginóbili) I hope that makes the transition easier. I'm prepared for the rough play in the NBA, physically I am well and I will get better. I have more will to work than ever. I've been through some battles and I'm ready», said the pivot from Las Varillas.
«In San Antonio you can tell people live basketball intensely. Because of the level and being the champs, there is extra pressure. I've realized my dream, now is the time to work for the team and payback the confidence placed in me», said Oberto. The cordobés will have one of the best of the NBA for a teammate, the finals MVP, Tim Duncan. «With Gregg (Popovich) we spoke of how I can play next to Duncan. Playing with someone who does everything well will facilitate my task. It is insurance playing with him», he said.
«I dont think about starting. A champion team has its players and the new guy has to adapt» added Fabri.
He closed with «the preseason starts in October, towards the end of the month I will go to start working. In september all the players arrive».

diego
08-05-2005, 06:34 PM
well I read yours Manu'sMagicalLeftHand and in fact it was better than mine- maybe I made it too rough

Solid D
08-05-2005, 06:43 PM
"In San Antonio you can tell people live basketball intensely. Because of the level and being the champs, there is extra pressure."

^ This comment is very true, but most San Antonians are also very supportive. Supportive, intense fans is different from fans in cities who have tasted success but are also very critical, selfish and cynical.

Thanks diego, also.

spvrs
08-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Nice translations guys. thanks.

With Oberto I'm thinking we'll have 4 starting all stars and a first team all defensive player*

*I joke

Dre_7
08-05-2005, 07:24 PM
I think people hyping Oberto as the Spurs next starting power forward (or center) are really jumping the gun. The guy hasn't played one NBA game yet. He might be a complete bust for all we know (though I certainly hope not). Not everybody does well when they arrive in the NBA.

I agree.
SA won a title with Tim and Nas. Lets keep it that way for now. Slowly work Oberto into the rotation. If he is as good as they say, he will earn his PT.

Dre_7
08-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Ooooooooooooooooooooo Nnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo

http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

timvp
08-05-2005, 08:28 PM

True.

Some of us are just hoping for the best case scenario. If Oberto can start, that solves the impending dilemma regarding what to do with Rasho and Nazr. It would all be solved if Oberto proves to be a 30 MPG starting center.

It's not close to reality now, but hopefully it will be at some point during the season.

:hat

timvp
08-05-2005, 08:31 PM
someone from Cordoba

I have some questions regarding this. Are any of the posters here from Cordoba? Every time I read an article about Oberto, it points it out that he's from that part of Argentina. Is it some sort of rural part of the country or something? Why always point it out?

Scola was born in Buenos Aires, IIRC. I'm guessing most posters here who are from Argentina are from Buenos Aires. Correct?

Summers
08-05-2005, 08:45 PM
your new starting power foward
duncan to center

But, really, isn't the whole forward/center thing sort of a fluid concept with the Spurs? I don't think it matters what they call themselves; Duncan's going to be the hub of the wheel.

grjr
08-05-2005, 09:01 PM
I have some questions regarding this. Are any of the posters here from Cordoba? Every time I read an article about Oberto, it points it out that he's from that part of Argentina. Is it some sort of rural part of the country or something? Why always point it out?

From looking at Google it looks a lot like San Antonio. Population is real close to the same. Climate is similar. Their mountains are probably bigger than our Hill Country though. :lol

Solid D
08-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Summers gets it.

Summers
08-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Summers gets it.

Hey, thanks man! :) See, I really do know a little bit about basketball!

(But, damnit, Oberto's cute!) :lol

bigbendbruisebrother
08-05-2005, 10:06 PM
I thought he had a buzz cut or was bald.

I'm thinkin' Kurt Cobain and Richard Kiel had a love child before they snuffed it:

http://www.camdenschools.org/chs/devil/cobain-kurt-portrait-6500011.jpg

http://www.agent-jamesbond.de/Filme/RM/mr_img/mr_08.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
08-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Good thing about this is that even if Nazr walks, we can always go to europe and sign cheap 6'11-7'0+ players to fill the void left.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-06-2005, 12:54 AM

Scola was born in Buenos Aires, IIRC. I'm guessing most posters here who are from Argentina are from Buenos Aires. Correct?

I'm not from Cordoba, but I'll try to give it a shot answering your question.

I believe that most of the media here points out where do the players come from in their articles, specially when they are not from Buenos Aires. When it's about basketball, you'll read a lot of times Bahía Blanca, Cordoba and the province of Santa Fé, which are some of the most basketball fanatic cities/regions in the country. Specially Bahía and Cordoba, both are the major basketball capitals in the country, a lot of players come out from those cities, in which basketball is huge.

Cordoba is a medium city, one of the oldest in Argentina, founded by the Spanish. It has a strategic location, in the middle of the country, between the Buenos Aires port to the east, the Mendoza and Cuyo region to the west, and it is also in the middle of the country to the North and South. Its geography is composed mainly by hills, rivers and lakes.

Also I believe some of the articles in Spanish posted these last days were written from Cordoba media or Cordoba born writers, so that would explain it, too.

kolko
08-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Actually, I think Cordoba is the biggest city of Argentina after Buenos Aires. And Oberto will become the first player from Cordoba to play in the NBA. (Pepe Sanchez and Manu from Bahia Blanca, Wolkowyski from Chaco, Delfino and Nocioni from Santa Fe).

http://www.universes-in-universe.de/america/arg/img/e-map-arg-mus.gif

hendrix
08-06-2005, 09:58 AM
First of all, in Argentina we have a lot of provinces named the same as their capital cities. That been said, the map above (I guess is from wikipedia) lacks a lot of details and you dont see the division of provinces.
Nocioni is from the "province" of Santa Fe, but not from the city of the same name (Delfino is). Chapu is from a small town near Rosario, I cant remember which one (EDIT: It's Galvez).
Oberto is from the province of Cordoba, but his home town is "Las Varillas" (translated by Google as "The Rods" :)).
Bahia Blanca is in the province of Buenos Aires (but the CITY of Buenos Aires doesnt belong to it politically, its a Federal District).

2centsworth
08-06-2005, 11:14 AM
as good as Manu is right now, it took him a few years. When he first started, some were calling him a total bust.

That is absurd. No one in their right mind thought of Manu as a total bust. He was pretty darn good as a rookie and always played during cruch time.

Solid D
08-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Spurs team page.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fabricio_oberto/index.html?nav=page