PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on gaming laptops?

GoodOdor
03-14-2014, 11:31 AM
So it looks like I'll be getting my own place soon, and I figured a laptop would be much more practical to move around the place.

Anyone here ever try one of those? what are the pros/cons?

I will mainly be using it for study/work/general shit, but I would like it to have the potential for some serious gaming if anything decent comes out.

Any advice will be appreciated.

resistanze
03-14-2014, 12:43 PM
I've been out of the game for a while, but my last memeory of many gaming laptops are bulky, ogly, overwight, and will still be out-of-date 3X faster than a desktop.

Do you alrady have a laptop? If not I'm more inclined on buying a $400 laptop and spending some cash buying a moderate gaming PC (which will probably shit on the gaming laptop in terms of price and life).

illusioNtEk
03-14-2014, 01:14 PM
serious gaming and laptop dont mix unless you plan to spend 2000 on a laptop...

whats your budget?

CuckingFunt
03-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Anything good at being a laptop won't be very good at games.

Anything good at games won't be very good at being a laptop.

Cry Havoc
03-14-2014, 02:29 PM
You can do what I did if you're a little tech savvy and build a fragbox. Portable, cheap, very powerful. Can be upgraded down the road.

DJR210
03-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Laptops are crap for gaming IMO. Way too fucking expensive, won't perform at the level of a desktop priced MUCH cheaper, too damn hot, battery life is shit when running the GPU. Defeats the purpose of portability when you can't stray too far from an electrical outlet.

If you have your heart set on spending way too much on a gaming laptop, check this out:

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/razer-blade-14-14/4505-3121_7-35843518.html

Comes with a super thin profile, higher res screen than a Retina, an 870m GPU, and some new Nvidia tech to help conserve battery when running the graphics card. Buyer beware though, get a damn good insurance policy on that shit because Razer fucking sucks IMO. I have had issues with nearly EVERY Razer product I've owned, and the general consensus on the tech forums is Razer is not reliable.

GoodOdor
03-15-2014, 12:37 AM
Okay, seems like everyone here agrees that a gaming laptop is stupid....

I think in that case I'll just use my desktop for gaming, and buy a decent laptop for surfing/work. Thanks y'all.

The Reckoning
03-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Okay, seems like everyone here agrees that a gaming laptop is stupid....

I think in that case I'll just use my desktop for gaming, and buy a decent laptop for surfing/work. Thanks y'all.

word.

build a kickass rig yourself from new egg for 1k. spend 850 on a decent asus laptop.

and you'll still save money than buying a good gaming laptop.

GoodOdor
03-15-2014, 10:10 AM
word.

build a kickass rig yourself from new egg for 1k. spend 850 on a decent asus laptop.

and you'll still save money than buying a good gaming laptop.

Yeah, my desktop is nearly 2 years old now, got him for about that price back then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227382

leemajors
03-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Just get a new video card and an SSD then, no reason atm to upgrade everything else

Cry Havoc
03-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Yeah, my desktop is nearly 2 years old now, got him for about that price back then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227382

No desire to think about a fragbox?

resistanze
03-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Also my ASUS laptop is approaching 5 years this summer, still runs great. Just no point upgrading a laptop used only to surf/MS Office/watch TV or movies.

GoodOdor
03-15-2014, 12:52 PM
No desire to think about a fragbox?

The one you built was cool, but I just don't see any big games up the road that would require

me spending more money on a desktop - and honestly, I figure I really just want the laptop for work/study,

so maneuverability is important.

Sybok
03-15-2014, 12:56 PM
If you travel a lot then having a bulky laptop will be cumbersome and you'll likely leave it at home. If you don't travel a lot you don't need portability. I have a friend who has an Alienware laptop and when he takes it anywhere it's like he's hauling a dead body around. He whips it out on the plane and it's blatantly just for show, and it cost too damn much, and it's not reliable. Go with a smaller laptop, something very portable, for office apps and web, but stick with either console or desktop for any serious gaming.

Like one guy said, upgrade your video and add an SSD for the boot drive.

The Reckoning
03-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Also my ASUS laptop is approaching 5 years this summer, still runs great. Just no point upgrading a laptop used only to surf/MS Office/watch TV or movies.

same ive had mine a little over 2 years and i would never think about throwing out whereas my old laptops i was ready to shoot skeet with after a year

Cry Havoc
03-19-2014, 01:59 AM
The one you built was cool, but I just don't see any big games up the road that would require

me spending more money on a desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlIWJlz6-Eg

GoodOdor
03-19-2014, 02:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlIWJlz6-Eg

Looks pretty nice, never really played those type of games - does it have a mmo element? if so, I might give it a try....

My next pickup will probably be ESO, shoulden't have too much trouble running that.