PDA

View Full Version : This is looking like a few years ago when they won 20 straight.

Horse
03-14-2014, 11:44 PM
If we didn't have to play 8 vs 5 in the conference finals they may have never lost the rest of the playoffs.

LongtimeSpursFan
03-14-2014, 11:52 PM
I was thinking same thing.

phxspurfan
03-15-2014, 12:14 AM
No, Harden was on fire and Ibaka was as well.

philldafunk
03-15-2014, 12:21 AM
Ibaka did go full retard

LoneStarState'sPride
03-15-2014, 12:21 AM
No, Harden was on fire and Ibaka was as well.

Ibaka going, what' 11 for 11? Was an absolute backbreaker.

Similar to Shane Battier going like 5-6 in game 7 after doing jack shit the whole finals.

jARS mEsH sEt
03-15-2014, 12:57 AM
You have to be a little lucky to win a championship. Green and Neal went off from 3 during the finals last year as well, and that efficient shooting won us a game or two against Miami. You just have to take it in stride.

I don't like focusing on Ibaka, collison, and fisher's 22-25 from the field because they made the shots and that happens. Everyone gets lucky sometimes. We got lucky sometimes.

The reffing in game 6 of the 2012 WCF against OKC was an absolute travesty, though. However, it stings less knowing that we've been the beneficiaries of corrupt reffing at least once (2007 against phoenix), so let's just call it even.

dallasmaverickslose
03-15-2014, 12:59 AM
You have to be a little lucky to win a championship. Green and Neal went off from 3 during the finals last year as well, and that efficient shooting won us a game or two against Miami. You just have to take it in stride.

I don't like focusing on Ibaka, collison, and fisher's 22-25 from the field because they made the shots and that happens. Everyone gets lucky sometimes. We got lucky sometimes.

The reffing in game 6 of the 2012 WCF against OKC was an absolute travesty, though. However, it stings less knowing that we've been the beneficiaries of corrupt reffing at least once (2007 against phoenix), so let's just call it even.

2012 still hurts pretty darn bad IMO

DesignatedT
03-15-2014, 01:16 AM
No it's not

03-15-2014, 01:16 AM
No it's not

Legacy
03-15-2014, 01:55 AM
No it's not

LoneStarState'sPride
03-15-2014, 06:52 AM
No it's not

therealtruth
03-15-2014, 07:12 AM

You don't just luck into 22-25 shooting. It's a function of getting good shots in rhythm. The defense wasn't disruptive enough.

jARS mEsH sEt
03-15-2014, 12:14 PM
You don't just luck into 22-25 shooting. It's a function of getting good shots in rhythm. The defense wasn't disruptive enough.

To quote a cliche "it's always a little bit of both."

wtgspurs
03-15-2014, 01:21 PM
The true MVP of this team is Kawhi Leonard, thats all i got to say

xmas1997
03-15-2014, 03:29 PM
I just don't want them to peak too soon before the playoffs.

poeticism707
03-15-2014, 11:01 PM
If we didn't have to play 8 vs 5 in the conference finals they may have never lost the rest of the playoffs.

Per par in the Duncan era.

Hopefully the Spurs get a fair shake this year.

Sean Cagney
03-16-2014, 12:05 AM
I just don't want them to peak too soon before the playoffs.

^^^^^^

Trainwreck2100
03-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Please they don't even have the longest active win streak

Kool Bob Love
03-16-2014, 01:52 AM

Co mvp. Timvp.

Kidd K
03-16-2014, 01:59 AM
Hate to say anything bad about this team here, but no. That 2012 team and that run at the end was EPIC. I've never had a bigger hard on for the Spurs and their chances than that year tbh. That run was absolutely unreal until the refs stepped in to make sure SA didn't advance to the Finals.

Honestly, I think the Finals ratings would have been higher with the Spurs than OKC. Spurs were the hotter team and getting huge respect until Ref Gate. The Finals certainly would've lasted longer and been more competative had they gotten there.

Anyway. . .this team is cool right now but that 2012 run. . .the Spurs looked as untouchable at the end of that season as I've ever seen a team since Jordan's Bulls in the late 90's.

scanry
03-16-2014, 02:10 AM
That 2012 team had trouble containing teams. Last year's team was better.

dg7md
03-16-2014, 06:06 AM
Hate to say anything bad about this team here, but no. That 2012 team and that run at the end was EPIC. I've never had a bigger hard on for the Spurs and their chances than that year tbh. That run was absolutely unreal until the refs stepped in to make sure SA didn't advance to the Finals.

Honestly, I think the Finals ratings would have been higher with the Spurs than OKC. Spurs were the hotter team and getting huge respect until Ref Gate. The Finals certainly would've lasted longer and been more competative had they gotten there.

Anyway. . .this team is cool right now but that 2012 run. . .the Spurs looked as untouchable at the end of that season as I've ever seen a team since Jordan's Bulls in the late 90's.

I remember when the media was proclaiming them "the best team ever" and having debates about it, then we lost in the WCF... Ugh. Being a Spurs fan now is so much like being a Pats fan now, all of this franchise greatness, but struggling to win the big one in the later years despite always being a game or two away.

Austin_Toros
03-16-2014, 07:43 AM

Yep. Every time Ibaka went for a block the referees forgot that goaltending existed.

SpurSwag
03-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Last year's team was better, 2012's team was more entertaining. No doubt i'll take the way we're playing now and how we played last year over 2012, but the ball movement and execution offensively during that 20 game win streak was the best basketball (offensively) i've ever seen.

Skull-1
03-16-2014, 02:52 PM

Skull-1
03-16-2014, 02:54 PM

Yep. He gives us youth, speed, and the defender we have needed since Bowen retired.

Skull-1
03-16-2014, 02:58 PM

Refgate. Couldn't agree more. 2012 team was insane. The ball movement was staggering.

Last year's team was better, 2012's team was more entertaining. No doubt i'll take the way we're playing now and how we played last year over 2012, but the ball movement and execution offensively during that 20 game win streak was the best basketball (offensively) i've ever seen.

Baam
03-16-2014, 03:39 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Actually I'm not even sure 2012 was any weaker than 2013 and 2014... They just ran into a buzzsaw that was made to beat them... Perkins can only defend great 5, he's useless against Miami but at peak value vs Duncan... Ibaka+Sefo are the best TP defenders you can find basically... Harden could easily match Manu... And then you have Durant and Chuckbrook who only had to play one end of the floor...

SpurSwag
03-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Yeah that Spurs team probably would have won the championship that year, but that still doesn't mean I think they are better than this years team or last years. They really weren't all that great defensively, not bad either but just not great.

Smh I still hate that Jack's effort was wasted that game. I know things ended on a bitter note and a lot of people here resent him now, but even including his role in our 03 championship his game 6 in that series is my favorite Jack memory ever. Even in a losing effort. The fact that he said we'd be ready to go and we'd put up a fight only to have his best game of the season while being unconscious from outside really validated the making love to pressure thing for me.

jARS mEsH sEt
03-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Refgate. Couldn't agree more. 2012 team was insane. The ball movement was staggering.

I still think our 2012 team's ball movement was far and away the best of all spurs teams. It felt magical at times.

Joseph Kony
03-16-2014, 05:47 PM
2013 Spurs > 2012 Spurs imo

boutons_deux
03-16-2014, 08:32 PM
the unforgettable win streak for me was 17, 13 at end of season + sweep of Grizz, then the 0.3 and Lakers

Horse
03-16-2014, 09:06 PM
I think this years team is better, I'm just saying the way there rolling blowing teams out. We'll see how it play out this season.

heyheymymy
03-16-2014, 09:45 PM
12 WCF whistles was ref bullshit that the spurs really didn't have to deal with for the most part in the 13 playoffs imo tbh

therealtruth
03-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Jack could have been the difference maker last year when Manu was struggling. TMac just never earned Pop's trust.

Sybok
03-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Things have changed. There's a new force most people are ignoring in the West: Clippers. It's not the lob city shtick any more, because with the additions of Granger and Davis, and how Griffin is beasting this season, and with a healthy Chris Paul and Doc over Vinny, you cannot even come close to counting these guys out. I hope they face the Thunder before facing us but I don't think so.

ElNono
03-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Things have changed. There's a new force most people are ignoring in the West: Clippers. It's not the lob city shtick any more, because with the additions of Granger and Davis, and how Griffin is beasting this season, and with a healthy Chris Paul and Doc over Vinny, you cannot even come close to counting these guys out. I hope they face the Thunder before facing us but I don't think so.

Disagree. Spurs in six games max...

ElNono
03-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Houston though, because of matchups, it's a tossup, IMO

Sybok
03-16-2014, 10:54 PM
I think this years team is better, I'm just saying the way there rolling blowing teams out. We'll see how it play out this season.

They are blowing out teams they should blow out, and the Heat just got off a slump where really bad teams beat them. We cannot take anything from that win, really. Not saying we didn't play well, just that because of their struggles, it's not a measuring stick for us to be one of the teams that beat them during that time.

I like how we are playing, Tiago is playing great, very aggressive, and the team is moving well. I fear an injury soon though, too wild and too much cutting between defenders and too many bodies in the paint going for boards.... someone is going to turn an ankle in a meaningless game.

Sybok
03-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Disagree. Spurs in six games max...

Not saying they could beat the Spurs, but I'd hate to face them and OKC in b2b series.

Mugen
03-16-2014, 10:55 PM

Actually, a pretty good chance OKC and the Clippers meet in the 2nd round especially if the Spurs can distance themselves a lil more from the Thunder.

And I agree with Nono, the Spurs would still roll them IMO.

ElNono
03-16-2014, 10:56 PM
I would agree with DeMarcusCousins that you can't draw a lot of conclusions from these games... playoffs are a completely different animal and style of play. It's still great we're healthy and we're gunning for HCA, but you can't get too ahead of yourself.

Sybok
03-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Jack could have been the difference maker last year when Manu was struggling. TMac just never earned Pop's trust.

Just because you had a losing hand doesn't mean another card from the deck would have given you a winning one, but it seems that anything different and the Spurs would have been champs. The other side of that is they might have lost in 6 games or even 5. Maybe they don't beat the Warriors. Who knows?

ElNono
03-16-2014, 10:58 PM
Not saying they could beat the Spurs, but I'd hate to face them and OKC in b2b series.

Well, sure, but at that point, we're talking 2nd round/WCF... nothing comes easy... though I still think LAC/OKC is better than HOU/OKC... the last two are the only teams I see that could give the Spurs a run for their money.

timmy2003
03-16-2014, 11:03 PM
interesting comparison.

Sybok
03-16-2014, 11:04 PM
Well, sure, but at that point, we're talking 2nd round/WCF... nothing comes easy... though I still think LAC/OKC is better than HOU/OKC... the last two are the only teams I see that could give the Spurs a run for their money.

I think you are discounting how good the Clippers will be come playoff time. They start fast, and pile up points in a hurry. The Spurs often start slow, so that could have them in a hole and finding a way out in at least a couple games. Hell, we had to dig out of a huge hole against them a few years back, a couple times I think. Not sure we could do that with the bench they'll have, and a system other than "play harder".

ElNono
03-16-2014, 11:13 PM
I think you are discounting how good the Clippers will be come playoff time. They start fast, and pile up points in a hurry. The Spurs often start slow, so that could have them in a hole and finding a way out in at least a couple games. Hell, we had to dig out of a huge hole against them a few years back, a couple times I think. Not sure we could do that with the bench they'll have, and a system other than "play harder".

I posted it before, but IMO, they have not addresses their main problem, and that is they don't have a secondary quality playmaker (anybody else really) to create when CP3 eventually gets bottled up. It happened to them against us and Memphis. Once that happens, they become extremely beatable. Granger and Big Baby don't help in that area.

I also always thought Doc is a severely overrated coach, but gave him the benefit of the doubt to see if he could establish a semblance of defense, and he has not. The Clippers were ranked 9th in defensive efficiency last season and are currently ranked 8th. looking at the actual the number, they're exactly the same defensive team as last season.

They made a small gain on offense (4th last season vs 2nd this season), but that's the first thing that drops when the playoffs roll around.

Obviously, I could be wrong. Nothing is guaranteed before the games are played, but there's nothing in that team telling me they're any different.

ElNono
03-16-2014, 11:16 PM
I will actually go ahead and say I'm not even sure the Clippers beat Memphis if they find themselves playing them again...

Clipper Nation
03-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Spurs would still wreck our shit, just a bad matchup for us, tbh....

For the record, our defensive stats are pretty deceiving, because the horrible start to the season on that end deflates them.... recently, the team has finally started to get a hang of the new defensive system and is playing far better defensively.... and Blake is absolutely a playmaker, he proved that while CP3 was out.... hell, CP3 was bottled up against the Warriors recently and we still won, I don't think that's the problem against the Spurs and Memphis as much as those teams simply being bad matchups...

ElNono
03-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Spurs would still wreck our shit, just a bad matchup for us, tbh....

For the record, our defensive stats are pretty deceiving, because the horrible start to the season on that end deflates them.... recently, the team has finally started to get a hang of the new defensive system and is playing far better defensively.... and Blake is absolutely a playmaker, he proved that while CP3 was out....

Sorry CN, but numbers don't back it up. Since Feb 1st, you've played 19 games, and given up 100+ pts in 9 of them (or about half). Most of the high scoring games were against top teams (Miami, San Antonio, OKC, Portland, etc). The only top team you've held under 100 is Houston.

And no, Griffin is not a play maker. I'm not talking about a guy you give the ball to and tell him to score (that's what ISO Crawford does). I'm talking a player that gets everyone involved. Jamal isn't that guy, Griffin isn't that guy and Collison isn't that guy either.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2014, 11:58 PM
If our team can stay healthy, we can win it all. This team is playing with so much confidence. Not over confidence because we know Pop never lets them get there, but a confidence that they know if they play together they can beat anybody. No other team in the NBA can match their mental fortitude in the playoffs. This team is special. I can see it and feel it more than other years in the past. But damnit we gotta stay healthy.

Sean Cagney
03-17-2014, 12:19 AM
That 2012 team had trouble containing teams. Last year's team was better.

Correct.

spurraider21
03-17-2014, 04:55 AM

DespЏrado
03-17-2014, 05:24 AM

That is jaw dropping. It's ultimately meaningless trivia, but for now that is just unworldly especially because it includes playing against some very good teams.

timmy2003
03-17-2014, 05:52 AM
Actually, a pretty good chance OKC and the Clippers meet in the 2nd round especially if the Spurs can distance themselves a lil more from the Thunder.

And I agree with Nono, the Spurs would still roll them IMO.

I agree. Rockets are tougher opponent.

Horse
03-17-2014, 12:54 PM
They are blowing out teams they should blow out, and the Heat just got off a slump where really bad teams beat them. We cannot take anything from that win, really. Not saying we didn't play well, just that because of their struggles, it's not a measuring stick for us to be one of the teams that beat them during that time.

I like how we are playing, Tiago is playing great, very aggressive, and the team is moving well. I fear an injury soon though, too wild and too much cutting between defenders and too many bodies in the paint going for boards.... someone is going to turn an ankle in a meaningless game.

We handled portland pretty well and we always struggle with them. With our versatility especially with way patty is playing this season we can beat anyone.

Sybok
03-17-2014, 03:47 PM
We handled Portland pretty well after LMA went down. They've handled us too. It depends on which team shows up in the playoffs, on both sides.

Horse
03-18-2014, 12:53 PM
We handled Portland pretty well after LMA went down. They've handled us too. It depends on which team shows up in the playoffs, on both sides.

Not postive but I believe portland came back after la went out.

Sean Cagney
03-18-2014, 02:10 PM

I don't think Portland will show up on both sides in the playoffs this year, don't think they make it out of the first round TBH.
Not postive but I believe portland came back after la went out.

Yep, they were down big when he was in there.

TampaDude
03-19-2014, 10:11 AM
The reffing in game 6 of the 2012 WCF against OKC was an absolute travesty, though.

Yup...and it wasn't for the Thunder's benefit, it was for LeBron's. The Spurs would've handled the Heat in the Finals in 2012. The Thunder had no shot. They had to make sure LeBron got at least one ring.

Spurs win it all this year. Book it.