PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: Those who played a lot of ball in years gone by..

AussieFanKurt
03-15-2014, 11:12 PM
After playing for past 11/12 years my ankles are fucked and I'm worried that I should stop playing or I'll not be able to walk in later years :lol

For anyone who's played for 20+ years or hasn't been playing for a few years.. what are your tips on keeping ankles strong/not fucked..?

Katherine Robinson
03-16-2014, 01:04 AM
You'll likely face some arthritis at most if you do not fall to a significant injury in that area.

I would strongly suggest a regiment of weighted balancing exercises and stretching your ankle in various directions with a resistance band. Thai Chi is also a boon as you grow older as it helps keep your body aligned throughout all states of physical activity and alignment is a very large contribution to stress on your ankles. Weight loss is also something to consider if you are heavy, in muscle or fat.

lefty
03-16-2014, 02:05 AM
You are pretty much fucked imo

You may not be able to walk a few years from now

Kidd K
03-16-2014, 02:13 AM
Work on strengthening your ankle, achilles, and calves doing shit like calf raises and whatever. Your ankle won't buckle as easily if you have higher strength. Don't wear low tops, only high tops and lace them fairly tightly. You can also tape up but you'll blow through that shit pretty fast and have to spend a lot on it if you play a lot, so that may not be a great option.

Never play in non sneakers. Don't wear some omegas and shit and go shoot around. You can roll an ankle just putting up a few jumpers in bad shoes tbh. Also, if you notice you're getting hurt doing specific things, you should try doing them differently (safer) or consider just not doing it at all anymore.

There really isn't a lot you can do about it tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2014, 03:20 AM
i think u still walk faster then that cripple faker

AussieFanKurt
03-16-2014, 03:51 AM
You are pretty much fucked imo

You may not be able to walk a few years from now

thanks m8

Venti Quattro
03-16-2014, 03:51 AM
Get a masage from a hot masseuse. Yeah that'll light your ankles up

Namundy
03-16-2014, 06:22 AM
When you're laying down point your big toe out and pretend like you're drawing big circles.

Also avoid pick up games with people who don't play basketball regularly. Those idiots will stick a foot under every jumper. Avoid jumping in traffic. I feel like 90% of my sprains come from landing on some guys foot when grabbing a board.

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2014, 06:24 AM
i thought this was about HH37 doctor playing with his balls for 10yrs

JamStone
03-16-2014, 08:56 AM
In college I played like 5-6 times a week. By my late 20s, I stopped playing altogether. My cousin got me to start playing ball again 2 years ago after not playing at all for almost 8 years. I had achilles problems right away, as well as being way out of shape. I've severely sprained both ankles multiple times when I was younger. What I do now is I wear those elastic ankle braces on both feet (the hard ankle braces hurt imo), wear two socks, and tie my basketball shoes tight as hell. It won't completely prevent me from ever encountering problems, but it makes me feel better about things. Lastly, once you get passed 30 or so, being competitive at basketball isn't more important than leaving healthy, so don't bust your ass like you're still 21 years old. Even if you're playing in a competitive rec league, it's not worth diving for basketballs or going for a blocked shot every time down. It's just not worth it.

poeticism707
03-16-2014, 09:11 AM
In college I played like 5-6 times a week. By my late 20s, I stopped playing altogether. My cousin got me to start playing ball again 2 years ago after not playing at all for almost 8 years. I had achilles problems right away, as well as being way out of shape. I've severely sprained both ankles multiple times when I was younger. What I do now is I wear those elastic ankle braces on both feet (the hard ankle braces hurt imo), wear two socks, and tie my basketball shoes tight as hell. It won't completely prevent me from ever encountering problems, but it makes me feel better about things. Lastly, once you get passed 30 or so, being competitive at basketball isn't more important than leaving healthy, so don't bust your ass like you're still 21 years old. Even if you're playing in a competitive rec league, it's not worth diving for basketballs or going for a blocked shot every time down. It's just not worth it.

This.

As for me, been lifting heavy weights, doing various forms of cardio, and calorie counting for decades. Most personal trainers you see are not in as good as shape as I am.

But I haven't hooped in years, and this is why. Love the game, and miss it sometimes.

But after 30, it's just WAY to hard on your knees, ankles, and every other part of you.

I'd like to still be walking pain free if I'm blessed enough to see the next 30 years.

Sybok
03-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Sit on the bench for a season, bitch about your coach and deflect any criticism that comes your way. Watch your team get swept because you quit on them. That's a proven method.

AchillesHeel
03-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Sit on the bench for a season, bitch about your coach and deflect any criticism that comes your way. Watch your team get swept because you quit on them. That's a proven method.

Hmm, I wonder who you're referring to...

Sybok
03-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Then again the injury has been known to move upward to the knee area if your team is doing poorly, but you can make a lot of money that way.