PDA

View Full Version : Will the Spurs role players fold again in the playoffs?

Calispursfan11
03-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Tbh, they are playing great now, but the tendency is for the bench/non big 3 to not show up for a full series i.e. the finals last year. They may have a good game or two during a series, but without the regular season consistency, are we in trouble come PO time?

RD2191
03-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Been saying it for a while now, Spurs are playing with fire. Unlike Houston/OKC, we don't have any players in their primes that can get their own shots. Counting on 10 players to show up is really asking for trouble. We will see what happens I guess.

DesignatedT
03-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Been saying it for a while now, Spurs are playing with fire. Unlike Houston/OKC, we don't have any players in their primes that can get their own shots. Counting on 10 players to show up is really asking for trouble. We will see what happens I guess.

Lol. And what do you think the Spurs should have done. Traded for Harden? Signed Howard? Lmao

RD2191
03-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Lol. And what do you think the Spurs should have done. Traded for Harden? Signed Howard? Lmao
When did I ever say that? What a faggot.

DesignatedT
03-16-2014, 08:58 PM

Lmao. "The spurs are playing with fire" "counting on 10 players is asking for trouble"

:lol been saying it for awhile now

What do you propose the Spurs do?

HI-FI
03-16-2014, 08:59 PM
I trust Patty and Belli more than Parker.

DapDaGenius
03-16-2014, 09:00 PM

:lmao

RD2191
03-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Lmao. "The spurs are playing with fire" "counting on 10 players is asking for trouble"

What do you propose the Spurs do to avoid these things?
Avoid what? I've been saying that its going to take a complete team effort to win the title this year. I agree with OP though that its anything from a sure thing that this style of play will work come playoff time.

Mugen
03-16-2014, 09:01 PM
The Spurs role players were just fine last year tbh.

DesignatedT
03-16-2014, 09:03 PM
I've been saying that its going to take a complete team effort to win the title this year.

:lol that's some earth shattering analysis right there.

RD2191
03-16-2014, 09:03 PM
:lol that's some earth shattering analysis right there.
Ok

DesignatedT
03-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Been sayin it for awhile now, Spurs are going to have to play well to win.

DPG21920
03-16-2014, 09:05 PM
The role players played amazing for the most part last year.

Gospursel
Boris - proven. Green - proven. Splitter - has been improving each postseason. Marco - proven (Chicago postseason). Patty - TBD, but I bet he'll be fine.

Legacy
The Spurs role players were just fine last year tbh.

Right. Way better than they were in 2012, that's for damn sure.

SanDiegoSpursFan
03-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Danny Green didn't have 8 turnovers in a title clinching game, and Kawhi Leonard didn't shoot 6-24 in that same game. Just saying.

RD2191
03-16-2014, 09:06 PM
lol, designated t got shat on and doesnt know how to respond, lol faggot

SanDiegoSpursFan
03-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Danny Green didn't have 8 turnovers in a title clinching game, and Kawhi Leonard didn't shoot 6-24 in that same game. Just saying.
6-23*

RD2191
03-16-2014, 09:08 PM
the spurs are relying on role players more than ever to win games. winning games where the game high in points had 14-15 points, lets see if it holds up.

Sean Cagney
03-16-2014, 09:13 PM
I trust Patty and Belli more than Parker.

And Patty has done what in the playoffs before? Parker has had some monster series for the Spurs in the playoffs before so I don't get the hate? Belli might be a big game player but we have what to go by sides a first round series or so?

tholdren
03-16-2014, 09:26 PM
we will be fine step away from ledge

KaiRMD1
03-16-2014, 09:29 PM
I trust Patty a lot more this season, the guy has been on the bench for a couple of playoffs. This season, the ol' sport has realized that that backup point guard position is up for grabs and he knows what's at stake. All this could be a moot point but I trust Patty to show up in the playoffs. Patty will be the most important bench player because when Parker is stinking up the joint, Patty is gonna need to produce and lately, the ol' sport has been instant offense. :toast here's hoping to a great playoff run capped off with a :lobt:

jag
03-16-2014, 09:31 PM
I'm formally calling for robdiaz banishment from the Spurs forum until after the postseason.

Do the right thing, Bruno.

TE
03-16-2014, 09:32 PM
the spurs are relying on role players more than ever to win games. winning games where the game high in points had 14-15 points, lets see if it holds up.
If there is anything I'm concerned about it's this. When shit gets real, we'll see what happens. For sure our star players need to show up and have one of Green, Beli or really anybody get hot for a stretch. Our defense also has to be better.

RD2191
03-16-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm formally calling for robdiaz banishment from the Spurs forum until after the postseason.

:lol

heyheymymy
03-16-2014, 09:37 PM
spurs have all those proven players a year deeper in the system like green, tiago, leonard, the big 3, plus diaw stepping up and patty is confirmed proven too, he went ham on team usa in the olympics. beli played pretty good in euros plus with chi he played ice cold.

HI-FI
03-16-2014, 09:39 PM
And Patty has done what in the playoffs before? Parker has had some monster series for the Spurs in the playoffs before so I don't get the hate? Belli might be a big game player but we have what to go by sides a first round series or so?
sorry, I don't entirely trust Parker.

I think the bench will be fine, they're more improved than last year and a major reason our record is so good. They were holding down the fort this year when guys like Parker were playing terrible, plus the bench was pretty good in last year's playoffs. It's obviously going to take great team effort, but that's fine, I like the way this team is built.

Mugen
03-16-2014, 09:41 PM

Amused killed Bruno IIRC.

RD2191
03-16-2014, 09:41 PM
If there is anything I'm concerned about it's this. When shit gets real, we'll see what happens. For sure our star players need to show up and have one of Green, Beli or really anybody get hot for a stretch. Our defense also has to be better.
I agree, our defense has been atrocious lately, if we let the Jazz drop 100 on us imagine what the Rockets can do.

Legacy
03-16-2014, 09:42 PM
I was waaay more worried about our Big 3 last year. I remember thinking that we couldn't depend on the roleplayers as much as were... and we needed The Big 3 to step the fuck up already. Oh well...

Sean Cagney
03-16-2014, 09:45 PM
I was waaay more worried about our Big 3 last year. I remember thinking that we couldn't depend on the roleplayers as much as were... and we needed The Big 3 to step the fuck up already. Oh well...??? Tony was an MVP candidate last year and Duncan had a great year, last year you were more worried? Why?

Legacy
03-16-2014, 09:49 PM
??? Tony was an MVP candidate last year and Duncan had a great year, last year you were more worried? Why?

Remember Tony was injured... and we already know about Manu. Tim was being Tim... but they were NOT clicking at all (as a threesome), IMO. Especially during *ahem* The Finals. Lots of people were concerned.

Richie
03-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Boris, Green and Neal were excellent last season in the playoffs. Splitter and even Bonner showed up when they were called upon against Lakers and Grizz.

If you think what happened last season was the role players 'folding', you need to adjust your expectations of a role player. The players who need to show up every moment of every game are the stars, and Manu was seriously lacking in that department.

ElNono
03-16-2014, 09:53 PM
More concerned about getting the defense up to last season's standards and TP regaining his foot speed... role players will have a limited role in the playoffs, and they were great all things considered in last season's playoffs....

DarrinS
03-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Are people actually arguing that our 2nd unit is a weakness? I enjoy watching them more than the starters and the are a HUGE reason for the current streak and why the vets will be fresh for the playoffs.

DarrinS
03-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Pop is building some great chemistry right now.

Man In Black
03-16-2014, 10:05 PM
Fuck this kind of analysis. It's bullshit. Why people keep bring up last year is so fucking Laker bandwagon type shit. Open your fucking eyes. The Spurs have the best record in the league despite the fact that they hadn't really been healthy until 2 weeks ago.
Last year Patty was just a towel waiver 15 pounds heavier, Gary Neal wasn't playing any real defense and if he wasn't making any shots, what was he providing the team?I liked him as a Spur but he was a weak point despite his penchant for an occasional clutch shot.

And the addition of Marco Belinelli on both defense and decision making alone make him 10 times the player that Gary was on a good day. Add the Team France Euro victory. Pop telling Tony that he needed that same kind of play, this time, he's used that same kind of mental magic on Boris Diaw, who no longer views an open shot as an opportunity to pass.

They're equipped to win, it's not a guarantee but hell...Most NBA could only wish they have a TEAM like the Spurs.

Legacy
03-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Pop is building some great chemistry right now.

Yes. He is. During the whole season/injury bug thing, he was all calm and cool... and playing with ssooo many different rotations throughout. He was actually kinda' enjoying all the 'experimenting', lol. He took it all as an opportunity. :D

DarrinS
03-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Beli >>>>>>> Neal

Not even close

DarrinS
03-16-2014, 10:14 PM
At this point, only role players I worry about are Bonner and Errors. At least Bonner is fairly dependable rebounder.

therealtruth
03-16-2014, 10:34 PM

For it to work the ball can't get sticky. The role players thrive of the ball movement.

Sean Cagney
03-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Remember Tony was injured... and we already know about Manu. Tim was being Tim... but they were NOT clicking at all (as a threesome), IMO. Especially during *ahem* The Finals. Lots of people were concerned.

Not until the finals when Tony got hurt, don't remember some worried all year long because Tony and Tim were playing lights out! Both all stars as well! Tim was being beyond the older Tim last year he had a resuregence at his age. Manu was off most of the year after he got hurt and that carried on so I will give you that! Up until game 4 or so of the finals when Tony got hurt it was just Manu they were worried about and not the rest of the big three. I have heard more concerns this year with health and Tony being worn down and playing bad at times after playing all summer long and Tim being a very slow starter this year! I have heard more concerns this year or worries to be quite honest (Manu playing well though but he got hurt too).

Our concern last year heading into the playoffs and we heard it alot was the backup SF as we HAD NONE after they cut Jax, that was the glaring hole I remember bringing worry.

Sean Cagney
03-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Boris, Green and Neal were excellent last season in the playoffs. Splitter and even Bonner showed up when they were called upon against Lakers and Grizz.

If you think what happened last season was the role players 'folding', you need to adjust your expectations of a role player. The players who need to show up every moment of every game are the stars, and Manu was seriously lacking in that department.
I agree on this here. Green actually did enough to put us ahead in the finals with his HOT shooting through 5 games, Neal as well in that one huge finals game he had in the blowout. They played really well for role players althogh the last two games two of them folded (Green and Neal). The role players played well int he playoffs last year you are correct.

Sybok
03-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Tbh, they are playing great now, but the tendency is for the bench/non big 3 to not show up for a full series i.e. the finals last year. They may have a good game or two during a series, but without the regular season consistency, are we in trouble come PO time?

Role players typically don't do well on the road, especially against good teams. Role players do good at home, especially on good teams. Factor those two together and you'd see that the opponent's bench should beat ours if we are on the road. It's up to our starters to bring it. That's why they get big bucks.

Legacy
03-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Not until the finals when Tony got hurt, don't remember some worried all year long because Tony and Tim were playing lights out! Both all stars as well! Tim was being beyond the older Tim last year he had a resuregence at his age. Manu was off most of the year after he got hurt and that carried on so I will give you that! Up until game 4 or so of the finals when Tony got hurt it was just Manu they were worried about and not the rest of the big three. I have heard more concerns this year with health and Tony being worn down and playing bad at times after playing all summer long and Tim being a very slow starter this year! I have heard more concerns this year or worries to be quite honest (Manu playing well though but he got hurt too).

Our concern last year heading into the playoffs and we heard it alot was the backup SF as we HAD NONE after they cut Jax, that was the glaring hole I remember bringing worry.

I'm only talking about last year's Playoffs, too--not the whole last season. Tony got his calf kicked in and bruised by Bogut during The Dub series... and he was "in and out" after that. They just weren't playing together very well... as THE BIG 3. The role players did really well, though. But that was all last year. BOTTOM LINE: EVERYBODY needs to bring it to these Playoffs, and they all know it.

superjames1992
03-16-2014, 11:21 PM

The Brunstapo might take action if he begins to trash Enrique, tbh. ;)

----------

Tbh, I trust our role players to play well enough. We have to remember Enrique's 6-23 and Manu's 8... Our "stars" can fail, too... And then there was The Miss by Kawhi. The Collapse by Verde, etc........ :cry

.G.
03-16-2014, 11:21 PM
As others have stated, the second unit is at times more fun to watch than the starters. Mills/Belinelli/Diaw will be key in the playoffs and I for one don't see them "folding".

This team is starting to wake up (if not already) and they're no longer bored/coasting like they were in Dec/Jan. Cliché, yes, but I really feel they're on a mission to win their 5th LOB.

Just a small hunch, but Spurs in 5.

Darius McCrary
03-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Danny Green, and Boris Diaw played their asses off last year. Baldspot, Splitter and Parker's Hamstring fucked everything up.

Sean Cagney
03-16-2014, 11:44 PM
I'm only talking about last year's Playoffs, too--not the whole last season. Tony got his calf kicked in and bruised by Bogut during The Dub series... and he was "in and out" after that. They just weren't playing together very well... as THE BIG 3. The role players did really well, though. But that was all last year. BOTTOM LINE: EVERYBODY needs to bring it to these Playoffs, and they all know it.

Tony kicked ass in the Memphis series! He was a key reason we won that! So yeah the very next round he was lights out but thats a different story. Manu was down and out and playing horrible, thats the only thing I remember fully and the real concern back then during the playoffs last year and it reared it's head again later on. I agree with you fully though but disagree some on the first point, but in the end we still agree on the mission now and on quite a few things. We need to bring it all to win a title, PERIOD so we both agree there.

BTW NICE AVI, damn she is looking good.

Budkin
03-17-2014, 12:12 AM
:lol

:lol No way. Rob's good people.

Johnsyounger
03-17-2014, 12:38 AM
Manu, Beli, Diaw, Mills could start for a lot of NBA teams....spoiled fuckers...
:flag:we got one more run......

SpurSwag
03-17-2014, 01:36 AM
Tbh the only 2 i'm a little uncertain about are Danny and Patty. Obviously Danny has proven himself but he is extremely streaky and if he gets cold in the playoffs it could be hard for him to snap out of it. I think Patty will be fine though, he loves the pressure and will only be playing against second units. He doesn't even need to be this ridiculous of a scorer in the playoffs, he just has to make open shots that he will always get and not turn the ball over/ get the team into their sets.

Ditty
03-17-2014, 02:11 AM
Neal(except his defense),Diaw,Green(except game 6 & 7) and Splitter(besides most of the finals) played really well throughout the postseason. Marco and Mills will be fine imo. I feel alot more confident in this coming post season compared to the last two playoffs no matter who we play.

jag
03-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Danny Green, and Boris Diaw played their asses off last year. Baldspot, Splitter and Parker's Hamstring fucked everything up.

It wasn't all bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdfFpENy8Sc

sehui
03-17-2014, 07:44 AM
Honestly, someone's going to need someone a la westbrook to get hurt for us to have a favorable chance of getting back to the finals.

Currently, we're at less than 50% chance of getting back there.

RD2191
03-17-2014, 08:28 AM
:lol No way. Rob's good people.

Mah nigga:hat

bklynspursfan
03-17-2014, 08:48 AM
I trust Belinelli and Diaw come playoff time. It remains to be seen what Patty will do, but there's no reason to think he won't continue to do what he does. He's a scrappy guy who shoots the ball well. Green came through in a big way in the finals (except when they started closing out on him) but I don't think anyone expected him to do what he did. I think our guys are extremely focused

vander
03-17-2014, 11:02 AM
I thought it was the big 3 that folded against Miami, mostly Manu

superjames1992
03-17-2014, 11:18 AM
I thought it was the big 3 that folded against Miami, mostly Manu

6-23. 4-12. TBH.

Darius McCrary
03-17-2014, 03:04 PM
It wasn't all bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdfFpENy8Sc
Hey good call, considering the hamstring happened 2 games after that.

Mel_13
03-17-2014, 03:07 PM
They didn't fold last year. Thread based on a false premise.

superjames1992
03-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Hey good call, considering the hamstring happened 2 games after that.
Enrique went 5-14 in game two, tbh... The hamstring is just a convenient excuse. The truth, per par, is that Enrique's kryptonite is that he cannot play well against larger defenders. This secret has been out for years now and it will bite us again when Sefolosha shuts down Enrique when we play OKC, tbh. Others will have to step up! :cry

FuzzyLumpkins
03-17-2014, 04:47 PM

We have Duncan, Diaw and Leonard that can create in the low block. We have Parker and Manu and to a lesser extent Mills, Leonard and Marco who can create on the perimeter. Leonard's post game is drawing consistent double teams and should be recognized as dominant.

poeticism707
03-17-2014, 05:10 PM

The Spurs had a really good bench last year...

This year it is OTHERWORDLY.

In a fairly officiated Finals series, with everyone healthy, for example,

Patty Mills would EVISCERATE THE HEAT.

Even if though Patty missed the finals last year with injury,

if the Spurs had this year's Patty on last year's team,

the Spurs beat Miami in 4 or 5.

So, no. In any fairly officiated series, Spurs roll, and the bench doesn't fold.

Pentagruel
03-17-2014, 05:58 PM
The role players were great in last years playoffs... You can't expect them to dominate in every game, they are role players, but they did their jobs defensively and did well offensively in numerous games. Diaw, Green and Neal all had some stellar games in the finals along with some poor ones. But that's what role players do and you can't expect them to do much more then they did, or else they would be stars.

r0drig0lac
03-17-2014, 06:02 PM
maybe, maybe not

Hoops Czar
03-17-2014, 06:22 PM
We have Duncan, Diaw and Leonard that can create in the low block. We have Parker and Manu and to a lesser extent Mills, Leonard and Marco who can create on the perimeter. Leonard's post game is drawing consistent double teams and should be recognized as dominant.

When the hell did this happen? His post up game is so rare, that it occasionally catches teams off guard and out of position. But, I can't remember any teams doubling him intentionally. I can't ever recall him being double teamed unless it was a game with the big three sitting.

ElNono
03-17-2014, 06:28 PM
IMO, half the league would love to have our bench as starters...

FuzzyLumpkins
03-17-2014, 07:18 PM
When the hell did this happen? His post up game is so rare, that it occasionally catches teams off guard and out of position. But, I can't remember any teams doubling him intentionally. I can't ever recall him being double teamed unless it was a game with the big three sitting.

He has been posting up every game as Parker and Duncan specifically have made sure to get him the ball in those circumstances. I don't know what to tell you other than you need to pay better attention. He gets post ups every single game and lately hes been seeing them come with double teams and beating them to the punch by swinging the ball around with the inside out game. Pay better attention.

Parker has only in the last month or so been more actively getting Leonard involved but Duncan has been doing it all year. They came out with a two man game very similar to what you see with Parker and Duncan on the perimeter. Manu always looks to distribute but that the other two have embraced Leonard getting more involved speaks well for his usage going forward.